• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germans trust China now more than the US

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why do we have military bases there still?

Because no one will ever attack you. Also. This is the a poll among the people on the street. Not of Merkel and the government.
There was a short debate if we shut down your NSA base and the Bundesnachrichtendienst said basicly, lol, let them spy on us, who cares.
Everyone in the government and the inteligent services is even fine with you guys spying on us like we would be Russia or something.

No lies detected. Who can trust a country which chose someone like Trump as president!?

Pretty sure Germany isn't the only country thinking that America's reputation went down the tube.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I bet if you asked the question. Do you trust american liberals/ Barack Obama ? Most people would answer yes. The problem is with the other half of the country.

Right Before Trump, 59% trusted the US. When Obama came into Office, it was 80 percent, but our look at you suffered because of the Snowden leaks.

Fritz

M'germanGaf <3

I just imagine my late grandfather being still alive and reading this. He wouldn't believe his eyes. He hated germans and was still convinced that they were gonna come back to get us one day lol. He never called them germans btw and always used a deragotary word in french.

If he knew that Germany is our most trusted ally and that his own grandson had many germans friend he would go mad.

I tell you a secret and I am really convinced of this: as a people we just want to be loved by France and the UK. It's all just a huge inferior complex.

euro-babes-006.gif

euro-babes-011.gif

<3

Wanchan

Trump is an isolationist with his MAGA bullshit, so it's no wonder other countries won't trust America anymore.

AmFreak

Only 59% trust during the Obama administraton, which shows they probably just don't really like the U.S. no matter who's in charge.
Yes, because absolutely nothing bad happened under Obama that could have destroyed trust ...
Obama isn't the saint as which he is often portrayed here.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What do they think about their biggest import partner though?

89% think, they are an import ally for trading with the EU.
In comparison, 79% think the same for the US
19% think, that the US wont be an important partner in trading in the future.
http://www.forschungsgruppe.de/Aktuelles/Politbarometer/
This is the polling agency Forschungsgruppe Wahlen

Since China wasnt a that big factor in the past, there are not that much data, but I expect that there will be in more in the future.

Maybe I keep this thread updated, so we can see the development

frontovik

Banned
Yes, because absolutely nothing bad happened under Obama that could have destroyed trust ...
Obama isn't the saint as which he is often portrayed here.

Agreed, he merely had a silver tongue which bolstered his charisma.. but I still feel that his policies were mostly failures and he upheld the status quo.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Agreed, he merely had a silver tongue which bolstered his charisma.. but I still feel that his policies were mostly failures and he upheld the status quo.

It has more to do with the fact, that Snowden leaked the NSA stuff. The NSA spied directly on Angela Merkel. How can you expect that this wont result in a big lost of trust. Even when Bush was president when this all started IIRC.

Mivey

If you'd told someone in Germany, say, 150 years ago, that France was going to be a more trusted partner to Germany than any other nation, people would have laughed at you. History is weird.

Lucumo

It came down a lot after the revelation that the U.S was tapping our chancellorship for years and operations from their embassy in Berlin on the government.

That combined with far-left in Germany being anti-American (i.e many Linkspartei supporters) brought it quite low.

They also lost faith in Obama overall over time which is understandable.

Mael

Really glad that the neighboring Germany sees us as such a close ally ^.^.
In retrospect, should have learned German and not English. Much more useful for the EU in the end.
I guess you could make the same poll in France and it would probably be similar, unless you're one of the old guard who still remembers WWII (and not the decades after that) you probably view the Germans as close neighbors.
The image of the US is going to take a beating in the EU that's for sure.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Britain is pursuing ridiculous policies but they aren't particularly threatening to their neighbours (like Russia) nor governed by a child (like the USA).
But they have once again a vampire in power.
But I think the mistrust will go up here, too.

frontovik

Banned
For the record, it's very pleasing to see very strong relations between France and Germany.

Charlemagne/Karl der Große would be proud.

SolKane

If you'd told someone in Germany, say, 150 years ago, that France was going to be a more trusted partner to Germany than any other nation, people would have laughed at you. History is weird.

Well 150 years ago there was no German state, and the US was a small, burgeoning industrial power that nearly destroyed itself...

Oersted

America losing to china again, sad!

(Pro-tip: One of the easiest ways to gain the trust of other nations is to demonstrate that you can consistently act in your own rational self-interest.)

Its worse than that. The most basic diplomatic communication is dead.

Its just a 70 year old boy yelling and the daughter he wants to screw selling and promoting her stuff.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Only 59% trust during the Obama administraton, which shows they probably just don't really like the U.S. no matter who's in charge.

Still, dat drop. Yeesh
The first poll being from during the election could've skewed it. I'd like to see one from a year earlier before drawing conclusions.

im shocked at UK.. way too high
Hey look, the US and Russia trust numbers are exactly the same! How about that.

we are facing a world where the new axis will be the USA-UK and Russia while EU and China probably will have to work together as a counterbalance

I dislike a ton of things China does, but at least they are still a rational actor on the world stage. With Trump, who knows what the guy is doing, so I wouldn't trust them more either.

Jeremy

did someone already post "I trust China now more than the US!" and they're also from the US

cause that's me

Top Bottom