• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, thinking about the network in six-month sprints shows you how unbalanced the PPV schedule is. The first six months you get Mania, Summerslam, and Money in the Bank (which has been entertaining the last few years), but on the back end, you only get Royal Rumble and a neutered Survivor Series, which hasn't really made use of that format in forever.

I'm probably still in, but I'm going to try out the free week, cancel, and sign up right before Mania.

It didn't used to be that way. Rumble is still big, but Survivor Series has unfortunately fallen off in recent years.

Hasney

RE:Unblock-us

They said that they'll look to implement it ASAP if they need to due to overwhelming demand. If they are needed, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Downhome

The FAQ keeps changing, the way they are editing it down I have a feeling it won't. It's what I am really pining for as well.

Exactly. Like I said before, they have essentially removed 500 hours of content that was originally going to be there on day one.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wait, I thought this was going to air all of the attitude era RAW tapings?

Their FAQ doesn't really imply that:
They never said it would. All PPV's from WCW, ECW and WWE, plus live PPV's, live pre and post shows to Raw and taped ones to Smackdown, original content and NXT is what you get initially and is what has been advertised from the start.

Jamie OD

Good OP, you might want to add that a lot of entrance music for old WWE, WCW and ECW shows will most likely be dubbed out due to licensing issues. That is probably going to be the biggest and most noticeable edits done to the archived footage.

okayfrog

Banned
Awesome of WWE to offer a free week, also as another user above said, smart. Definitely gonna take advantage of that for the NXT PPV. After that, though, I'll probably skip out for a while. Before Royal rumble, WWE Network was Day 1. Now, it's a "wait and see". Would love to get it, though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
They never said it would. All PPV's from WCW, ECW and WWE, plus live PPV's, live pre and post shows to Raw and taped ones to Smackdown, original content and NXT is what you get initially and is what has been advertised from the start.

Never?

Then why was this article written this way last month?

http://www.sescoops.com/wwe-network-5-key-points-major-announcement/
For just $9.99 per month, this is what you’re getting if you subscribe to the WWE Network:

A 24/7 live stream of WWE programming
Over 100,000 hours of archives and exclusive footage
New series such as Legends House, WrestleMania Rewind, WWE Countdown and the Monday Night War(s)
All 12 monthly PPV’s
Every single WWE, WCW and ECW PPV in history.
Every episode of RAW and SmackDown in WWE history

Downhome

I can live with the musical edits since we are getting all the old announcers and commentators like Jesse unedited, not to mention all of the Benoit stuff being there as well.

I'm losing interest in WWE at exactly the wrong time for this

Once WM is over i am done with WWE until next year rumble, with no competition WWE has been shit for years, the best time to watch is January to April, after that bail the fuck out like CM punk did..

Hasney

It's definitely going to be the biggest edit with the old footage. Whatever it is like on their compilation DVDs is what it should be on the Network.

Not necessarily. Some themes are take out on an older DVD and have even come back again in newer releases. Depends if they're looking to push the boat out on this one.

Can see Enter Sandman being edited out regardless, however.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Because dirtsheet bullshit.

It was never advertised, in fact Meltzer and Alvarez, who were at the press conference, explicitly stated they were told no to this by WWE people there.
Man, screw these wrestling websites. I'm not getting 1,000 popups at least, but I was really hyped for that rumor.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Good OP, you might want to add that a lot of entrance music for old WWE, WCW and ECW shows will most likely be dubbed out due to licensing issues. That is probably going to be the biggest and most noticeable edits done to the archived footage.

So the greatest pre-match hype video of all time will be ruined with generic music? :(

I'm excited for this. It'll probably dominate my TV watching for a week or two I'm guessing. It has recently occurred to me that I've never actually seen a WCW PPV so I might start with some of those.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not necessarily. Some themes are take out on an older DVD and have even come back again in newer releases. Depends if they're looking to push the boat out on this one.

Can see Enter Sandman being edited out regardless, however.
To clarify, WWE has confirmed that all footage is taken from the master recordings. Only when the master had damaged footage they went back to the home video sources to replace that part of the footage. That means all old edits and censorship is gone and whatever they edit out now is what they have to. The rest should be uncut and uncensored, they will have disclaimers for TV-14, TV-MA and
Benoit
material.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Once WM is over i am done with WWE until next year rumble, with no competition WWE has been shit for years, the best time to watch is January to April, after that bail the fuck out like CM punk did..

NJPW brother...available via iPPV.

Watch it, it'll change your wrasslin' life.

Kaladin

I don't know if anyone noticed or not, but the images in the OP have links to video previews where it applies.

I had to do text links for Countdown, Monday Night War and Wrestlemania Rewind because you can't do multiple links for one image.

foltzie1

Has NXT evolved into more than just their reality show?

I always thought it'd be a good idea to televise their developmental league, so this might be a food way to introduce the next generation of stars and get them exposure.

Edit... Just watched the videos. No Shiek. But man NXT is exactly what I hoped it was. That looks pretty good.

Just so everyone is on the same page, the original NXT was a reality type-show that was taped before Smackdown and aired on Syfy (and the Web) on Tuesdays. The first season led to Nexus and introduced Daniel Bryan, Wade Barret, and Ryback among others. The other seasons were just ok*.

The current NXT is the former Florida Championship Wrestling and is now located in Orlando and is based in the WWE Performance Center and has a weekly TV show that is available on Hulu in the US and on TV in international markets and will soon be on the WWE Network. The promotion is ran more like an old territory in that there are less segments and more wrestling and all of the TV tapings are at the same venue. Wrestlers** will move from NXT to RAW and Smackdown when the Authority deems it so.

*Shame Kaval didnt stick around.

**Current wrestlers on NXT may or may not match their character on RAW or Smackdown. Big E was a fan favorite in NXT while being Dolph Z's muscle on RAW.

undecided on the Network, I already don't pay money for WWE stuff. I may split it with a friend if 2 people are allowed per account

Kaladin

You know what I just thought of?

The Network almost ensures that we won't have any months with 2 PPVs now. That would be like charging $4.99 per PPV....crazy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I just thought of?

The Network almost ensures that we won't have any months with 2 PPVs now. That would be like charging $4.99 per PPV....crazy.

Good. PPV oversaturation is a problem.

Kaladin

Good. PPV oversaturation is a problem.

It also ensures that they will keep the 12 PPV per year model to keep the WWE Universe feeling like they get their $9.99 worth.

In fact, I'm actually curious if NXT Arrival is a one time thing to give fans a PPV for February.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait, I thought this was going to air all of the attitude era RAW tapings?

Their FAQ doesn't really imply that:

That was just the pre-announcement rumor; WWE themselves have never even hinted at that.

Cystm

1619211_624630020919899_10608525_n.jpg

This is fucking nightmare fuel. Dude is like a real life version of Aphex Twin's Come to daddy. Oh, god.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Have they mentioned when new PPVs will be put up for on demand viewing?

I work nights and won't be able to watch any of them live, but it would be nice to be able to come home after work Sunday night and pull up whatever PPV just aired.

Kaladin

Have they mentioned when new PPVs will be put up for on demand viewing?

I work nights and won't be able to watch any of them live, but it would be nice to be able to come home after work Sunday night and pull up whatever PPV just aired.

On demand viewing of PPVs start the minute the PPV begins to air. As in, while the PPV is airing you can go back and watch from the beginning.

v0yce

On demand viewing of PPVs start the minute the PPV begins to air. As in, while the PPV is airing you can go back and watch from the beginning.

So is there like a live channel? Or will everything just be its own link/selection basically. (if that makes sense)

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
So is there like a live channel? Or will everything just be its own link/selection basically. (if that makes sense)

It's pretty much both. There's a "24/7 Live Linear Stream" that plays continually, and then the on demand netflix type library. What's special though is that on the linear stream tv guide timeline, you can watch stuff already broadcasted, or if you came in late, start from the beginning.

GRW810

I'm only a casual follower rather than an avid viewer these days but if I'm in a position to do so I'm subscribing to this when it hits the UK. The huge backlog library of three top promotions in their heyday, live PPVs, original programming and additional stuff like Hall of Fame, pre-shows and NXT makes it a monthly bargain in my opinion.

In theory the network should also ensure WWE improve their current product, because there's no point committing to this huge venture and then turning fans away with garbage booking and poor matches.

I will try the week trial as soon as it hits and see if I can access anything from the UK. I really hope I can watch stuff. I want to watch some of the UK exclusive PPVs that we had, I remember going to at least one of them live and being on TV :p

All over this for the Monday night wars. I was like 14 when it was going on and dx and nwo were the shit back in the day. My 8th grade school pic has me in an nwo shirt lol. Can't wait for the nostalgia!

Kaladin

All over this for the Monday night wars. I was like 14 when it was going on and dx and nwo were the shit back in the day. My 8th grade school pic has me in an nwo shirt lol. Can't wait for the nostalgia!

Monday Night War.....there was one war. Seriously, they actually made a big joke of there only being one Monday Night War at the press conference.

The joke being that another company, Total Nonstop Action (TNA) tried to go Monday nights with Impact Wrestling but was crushed like a bug with the return of Bret Hart to WWE programing.

Top Bottom