• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

Freeman76

This actually looks great! Not sure I can get it though as my VR set up is shit, Ive never managed to stop the 'wobble' and that could ruin my accuracy.

Ricker

I dont have PSVR yet...too expensive,especially in Canada,but I will at some point...I hope this game succeeds,VR needs a game like this to help the tech moving forward.

played a little bit with free movement. fps in vr!

shot up a bunch of spiders, didnt play too far in. the only disappointing thing ive seen so far is your in game shadow. really stiff unnatural animation there. plus i find the walking to be too smooth. would like for there to be an option for head bobbing for those with vr legs.

also, i found my virtual head a bit too low and it kept clipping into my body whenever i looked down. might need to adjust my in game height i think. or my camera placement.

Now that you mention it I wish FPS in VR had head bobbing FFS.

Karak

Honestly, smooth movement gives me headaches, like with RE7. If it had bobbing like minecraft I'd like that.

Interesting. I consult with VR companies right now and I have to say that is the exact opposite of most folks. Hell I might reach out to you soon for a couple tests to be honest.

As for the game.
I am working up my review and almost done with it now.

CrocoDuck

Damn, all of these positive impressions from the game really wants me to buy it. Ugh and I'm dealing with finals right now!!

Interesting. I consult with VR companies right now and I have to say that is the exact opposite of most folks. Hell I might reach out to you soon for a couple tests to be honest.

As for the game.

I'm the same and have read similar feedback from a few people on this board in various VR threads. I personally don't get ill with anything in VR but simulated movement makes everything feel much more comfortable and natural, be it in an FPS or in a racing game such as Dirt Rally. Comfort options are the worst things for me and often feel awful.

Karak

I'm the same and have read similar feedback from a few people on this board in various VR threads. I personally don't get ill with anything in VR but simulated movement makes everything feel much more comfortable and natural, be it in an FPS or in a racing game. Comfort options are the worst things for me and often feel awful.

Sadly thats VR for ya. Nothing comes close to working for everyone. Lots of extra bits for devs to worry about. Nice to know the rare segment at least has a couple other members.

Karak

:( I hope it at least reaches competency.

No I mean because its a longer full VR title with large production values. So that is great stuff and some folks will react accordingly for sure.
NOT that I think its all terrible or something. Its just one of those drinks in a drought

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No I mean because its a longer full VR title with large production values. So that is great stuff and some folks will react accordingly for sure.
NOT that I think its all terrible or something. Its just one of those drinks in a drought
Worth checking out if you're into more VR experiences like RE7 and games built from the ground up for VR?

Kyolux

Worth checking out if you're into more VR experiences like RE7 and games built from the ground up for VR?

Probably better off waiting for his review to come out. Or at least when embargo ends.

But if this ends up being a pass.. I gotta figure what I should move my pre-order money to for now.

As for the game.

Always here to help and provide feedback in anything related to VR, since we know VR has no standards and everyone reacts differently. I would preferred if all companies just added as many options as possible to suit everyone's needs. I know my brother and I can't play more than 30min. in RE7 because of the smooth movements. As a matter a fact when we downloaded the demo the first thing we tried was looking for a bobbing option in the menus for 5min.

Edit: Ironically enough I am unaffected by smooth rotational speed but forward and backwards smooth movements don't click with me, so I need to physically bob in the real world to continue playing forward moving games.

P.S: I also hate teleportation :p

#VRInANutShell

Edit 2: My brother just told me that if head bobbing is a no-no why don't devs add a slight vibration to the DS4 when a character walks in a VRFPS. He says that having something of feedback, telling the brain "look you are in motion" would go a long way. He just wanted me to tell you that suggestion, lol :p

Probably better off waiting for his review to come out. Or at least when embargo ends.

But if this ends up being a pass.. I gotta figure what I should move my pre-order money to for now.

Get the game and decide for yourself. Feel the VR AIM controller in your hand and see how you like it. It's something you have to try for yourself.

ryseing

Thanks for the clarification.

If you find it interesting I'd say give it a go anyway. VR reviews are an interesting thing, unlike standard gaming reviews where there is a clear understanding on systems in use and what the average gamer is more likely to enjoy which we often see regardless of reviewer or difference of opinions, I have found very few VR reviews to be readable in the same manner.

Standard gaming reviews often fixate on the structural elements of games and how they work individually and as a whole. This is harder to apply to VR as even though the structural elements still apply the different experiences people have in VR can be wildly different and paint them in a very different light. I have read reviews for VR games that sounded perfect, exactly my kind of game and mention everything that I enjoy as well as get a good score only to play it and be bored shitless, not because the systems weren't as they described (they were) but felt exceptionally slow whereas the reviewer felt it was thrilling and fast. There isn't much a reviewer can do in these circumstances, in traditional reviews you can easily fall back on things that are more objective to give a clearer understanding even though you can still do this in VR having some massive spider running at you might make you forget everything else and engage you on so many other levels that they don't matter, whereas another might be like "whoop-de-fucking-do a massive spider" the structural elements become more apparent. Another might just shit themselves at the sight and not be able to play the game but never really knew they were terrified of giant spiders because they had never been in that situation before.

Karak

If you find it interesting I'd say give it a go anyway. VR reviews are an interesting thing, unlike standard gaming reviews where there is a clear understanding on systems in use and what the average gamer is more likely to enjoy which we often see regardless of reviewer or difference of opinions, I have found very few VR reviews to be readable in the same manner.

Standard gaming reviews often fixate on the structural elements of games and how they work individually and as a whole. This is harder to apply to VR as even though the structural elements still apply the different experiences people have in VR can be wildly different and paint them in a very different light. I have read reviews for VR games that sounded perfect, exactly my kind of game and mention everything that I enjoy as well as get a good score only to play it and be bored shitless, not because the systems weren't as they described (they were) but felt exceptionally slow whereas the reviewer felt it was thrilling and fast. There isn't much a reviewer can do in these circumstances, in traditional reviews you can easily fall back on things that are more objective to give a clearer understanding even though you can still do this in VR having some massive spider running at you might make you forget everything else and engage you on so many other levels that they don't matter, whereas another might be like "whoop-de-fucking-do a massive spider" the structural elements become more apparent. Another might just shit themselves at the sight and not be able to play the game but never really knew they were terrified of giant spiders because they had never been in that situation before.
Actually thats well within the framework of interaction or immersion as a broken out factor and doesn't have any elements above and beyond that make it more or less difficult to explain to others or become hard/difficult for others to understand.
There is plenty a reviewer can do in every one of those circumstances as there is nothing unique about differing experience factors even in a VR title.

also, i LOVE the way they implemented aiming down sights. you bring up your gun sights to your eye and you can see a crosshair in the scope for more accurate aiming! really cool moment.

yeah I mentioned that in our hands on. It's pretty mental you can do it that way.

Kyolux

Get the game and decide for yourself. Feel the VR AIM controller in your hand and see how you like it. It's something you have to try for yourself.

$115 CAD with taxes is a lot for me to just decide for myself. I'm not saying I'm out just yet. But if most impressions are negative on the review side of things, well.. I'll be thinking twice about it.

Actually thats well within the framework of interaction or immersion as a broken out factor and doesn't have any elements above and beyond that make it more or less difficult to explain to others or become hard/difficult for others to understand.
There is plenty a reviewer can do in every one of those circumstances as there is nothing unique about differing experience factors even in a VR title.

Reviewers can explain their experience and not stating they can't but from a readers point of view can be a much harder thing to grasp if it is relevant to them. Take your Nioh review I listen to it enjoyed it and knew from watching the gameplay that certain elements didn't really apply to me but would be very relevant to others. In VR reviews I have found this sort of understanding to be obscured except for games like Statik or The Rhombus of Ruin which are more typical.

I can read many reviews all with differing opinions and experiences but as a consumer that is using a review to get information on a product I can't really tell what in that reviews applies to me or not unless I have something of my own to compare it to. When two games of a similar style in VR can feel worlds apart and one of a multitude of highly subjective elements can be as simple as head position from the floor its not necessarily that simple.

giphy.gif

hoping you're wrong.

I hope he's wrong too. I just hope it does well enough to be another great reason for VR's relevancy in the eyes of those who matter and who can choose to continue support VR or not.

Karak

Reviewers can explain their experience and not stating they can't but from a readers point of view can be a much harder thing to grasp if it is relevant to them. Take your Nioh review I listen to it enjoyed it and knew from watching the gameplay that certain elements didn't really apply to me but would be very relevant to others. In VR reviews I have found this sort of understanding to be obscured except for games like Statik or The Rhombus of Ruin which are more typical.

I can read many reviews all with differing opinions and experiences but as a consumer that is using a review to get information on a product I can't really tell what in that reviews applies to me or not unless I have something of my own to compare it to. When two games of a similar style in VR can feel worlds apart and one of a multitude of highly subjective elements can be as simple as head position from the floor its not necessarily that simple.

Nothing makes this attributable to VR more than anything else. But in the end it doesn't really matter.

I'm realizing just now that you only meant that you don't "ZOMG 12/10"... am I correct?

If you mean me? No there were a couple things

joeblow

My Aim controller isn't coming from Amazon until Thursday, unfortunately, but at least I was able to snag one before they sold out. After playing this game at the December Sony Playstation gamer exhibition, it was my favorite demo so I am glad to be able to play the full thing.

MrBS

I got my shipping confirmation from Amazon to let me my two orders of the aim bundle have shipped. Somewhat alarming as I only wanted one, stuffed that order up lol

MattAces

Value is a little too subjective to discuss, like some are willing to spend so much money for VR already, so 7 is a pretty high score coming from a mainstream review.
Story is expected, generic and mediocre.
Gameplay I hope the reason they are rating 8 is because of the actual game-gameplay and not because of Aim controller gameplay.

Fully expecting Farpoint to be decent at best, most likely mediocre, but the main attraction here is the Aim controller!

God damn Best Buy cancelled my bundle order apparently, and I only just noticed. I can't find another one anywhere currently. I will check some stores tomorrow, but I won't get my hopes up.

MattAces

"There is the Shotgun, a Precision Rifle, the more powerful Plasma Rifle, and my personal favourite, the Spike Gun. "

....oh lord

Sniper? Always wanted to snipe!

Also the review
"Is Farpoint the game to showcase the PS VR? In this current climate, with a lack of games, I would say a resounding yes. Paired with the wonderfully designed PS VR Aim Controller, Farpoint is the first triple-A title that feels right at home in PS VR, and plays well enough for me to overlook the graphical standards I have come to expect. Satisfying gunplay, a serviceable plot, and an immersive VR experience makes Farpoint my favourite PS VR game to date."

Keypoint right there.

I finished what seems to be the first "level" tonight (playing with the aim controller). The game is a lot of fun as a pure shooter and the graphics are quite impressive especially in comparison to what we've become used to with PSVR. Easily among the best looking games I've tried - I'd say on the level with Robinson for any of those who've played that game.

The aim controller works as advertised and I think that it would be great if it became a standard option for any PSVR shooter. It's quite accurate and the feeling of aiming down the holographic sight for far away shots is quite cool as well.

The one thing that stood out to me that I wasn't expecting so far is the quality of the voice capture and acting. A nice surprise as I was expecting fairly boilerplate presentation in a game where they could have gone the easy route of proof of concept shovel ware that too often gets released alongside peripherals.

All in all, I'm impressed and look forward to diving into more tomorrow.

Top Bottom