• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast: Second Contact - Hero Trailer (PS4, Xbox One, Steam)

I'm a huge fan of Outcast (even though I could never beat it), but yeah, those animations look rough (as in they have the same movements that the original game did).

I'm going in with the expectation that its more or less a fancy re-skin of the original game with some QOL enhancements and 'doo-dads' for current times, but not much else that's going to be considered 'groundbreaking', which is ironic, considering the original in its own right was quite ahead of its time, for what it was. I just hope that it doesn't hurt the game too much, especially in this age of gaming.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I guess fans will like this.

but time is limited and there are far better 3rd person shooters I can be playing.

Can't say I'm impressed by the technical aspects but the original was damn fun. Never got around to finish it because my computer at the time was woefully underpowered. Maybe I'll get this at some point.

I guess fans will like this.

but time is limited and there are far better 3rd person shooters I can be playing.

Well there's plenty of exploration in it too. It's not just your run of the mill 3rd person shooter. I remember it being pretty free roaming back then.

Is that a discount Nathan drake

Perhaps Nathan Drake is a discount copy of Cutter Slade since the guy in Outcast looked like that in 1999 nearly a decade before Nathan Drake came kicking and screaming into the world.

I loved the Original Outcast and for my own selfish reasons I hope they go through and finish this so I can buy it. However even I have to be realistic the quality is not there for 2017 and I get the feeling whomever is backing this is gonna lose a ton of money on it.

This makes me very happy. It is a remake of the original, but they have only really updated the visuals drastically. I am happy with that, they were clear it was never going to be anything other than that. The game was a masterpiece when it was originally released...it was the first open world type game with a cinematic feel, and the score is epic. If you like scifi/adventure games you should give this a look in.

Sosokrates: Eh, in some ways...this game did exploration/adventure better than say the ME games. Still, that was for its time, and it is nearly 20 years old now.

HyGogg

Banned
I'm a huge fan of Outcast (even though I could never beat it), but yeah, those animations look rough (as in they have the same movements that the original game did).
This is inaccurate. The animation may not be up to modern standards, but they are not the animations from the original, which look very weird now. The animation is completely redone and massively improved, even if it's still far from AAA quality.

This seems to have some nice control and interface improvements, to the point where the core running and shooting mechanics appear totally redone. I won't miss those clunky ass menus either.

I do wish they re-recorded that dialog. Not only is the acting very 1999, but the sound quality is as well.

Bl@de

Is that a discount Nathan drake

ThatPostGaveMeCancer.jpg

trikster40

Anybody actually play this yet and have any impressions? I loved the original, but I’m wary about a remake of a 20 year old game that not many people played.

Freddo

Love the original, and will happily buy and play this again. Still, I think the game will have a hard time to find a new audience, which is unfortunate.

They made Cutter Slade look a fair bit younger too, haven't they? He looks like ~30, while in the original he's 45 or something.

If you're thinking of Outcast as a 3rd person shooter, you're doing it wrong. It's like calling Witcher 3 a "fencing game."
Heh, indeed.

f@luS

More than a member.
Game is out tomorrow. Can’t find any preorder or anything on the store. Any hype?

Game is now out and available on Steam. The normal price is £29.99 but it is having a special promotion of 15% off so it is £25.49 . Personally I feel the price is a wee bit high for what it is. I still haven't bought it myself, I want it but I can't see myself playing much of it.

On another note bit scummy they are offering a Golden Weapons Pack for an additional £1.59 but then these days with the likes of EA that is small fry. So yeah it is out and there is exactly 100% LESS loot boxes in this game than there is in every EA game.

Looks like a pretty good remaster, here is a vid of the first world of the game (basically the tutorial)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCCAYlSzYk&feature=youtu.be

Whelp bought and bought. They are giving 45% off for people that owned the original remaster on steam so at £17 I took the leap. Downloading now all 9gbs of it (the original was on 2 cd's if I remember). Looking forward to leaping back into Aldephi.

This is inaccurate. The animation may not be up to modern standards, but they are not the animations from the original, which look very weird now. The animation is completely redone and massively improved, even if it's still far from AAA quality.

Maybe to you it's inaccurate, but I disagree based on the trailers that I've watched so far.

so who has funded this after the failed kickstarter?

I believe the publisher BigBen (yeah never heard of em either) have covered the cost of this :-

boilerplate press release blurb said:
Bigben, the video game publisher and distributor, is pleased to announce that they have signed a licence agreement with the studio Appeal to publish the video game OUTCAST - Second Contact, a remake of the cult PC game Outcast.

http://planet-adelpha.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Press-Release_Outcast_Second_Contact.pdf

Obviously the budget has been a bit tight and some compromises have been made e,g the introductory cinematic has been replaced with a sort of half arsed comic book video of events rather than a rendered video with lip sync.

As for the game, I have played some of it and for the most part I am really enjoying it. But it does serve as a reminder of how limited things were in those days. Either way I was happy to support BigBen and Appeal by buying the game though I do think they were a tad bit greedy with pricing and had I not been able to get 45% off I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Top Bottom