• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

There are enough people like you in the world to get this game over 1mil sold, but at $40...
Wish I had a switch.

Yes sf2 on switch is a stupid over priced port.

Capcom messed up the art a long time ago.

It doesn't mean it's worse than sf4 to me though. Just bad price and bad additives.

Shingro

Dear Capcom

Monster Hunter Switch

Dragons Dogma Switch

Breath of Fire revival (BOF6 was so offensive i dont know where to begin)

As a BoF fan, I don't really trust modern capcom with a sequel. What team could they possibly field with the chops to do it?

antibolo

Banned
HAHAHA I was right all along, they really are using USF2 as a benchmark for their future Switch support.

Capcom, you fucking idiots.

HAHAHA I was right all along, they really are using USF2 as a benchmark for their future Switch support.

Capcom, you fucking idiots.

Just when you think Capcom has changed you realize it's still a shit show.

Glad it was just a mistranslation cause fuck spending money on that Street Fighter 2 port. Even if it wasn't I wouldn't support BS like this. Heck, it's not like Capcom has honored prior "tests" anyway.

EXACTLY!

Raitaro

We're a long ways out from the GameCube days when Capcom alone accounted for the majority of my third-party library, even with the mismanagement and shaky exclusivity relationships surrounding the Capcom Five. Wake me up when they bring back Viewtiful Joe.

Forget about Viewtiful Joe, I still want Dead Phoenix! Seemed like a (future) Kid Icarus: Uprising meets Legendary Wings.

Back on-topic: seems like many of us (me included) overreacted again based on a misleading initial translation, going by the change in thread title? In any case: I hope Capcom makes some smart decisions about their Switch support by looking at which games - old IP's especially - would fit well with a Nintendo audience. Ideally they'd base this on the rest of the Switch's current lineup, on which first party games worked well on Wii U, on current trends with regards to multiplayer features that stimulate community building, and on which IP have been long in demand. (Like I mentioned before, I'd start with Mega Man and Ghouls 'n Ghosts if I were them, along with Monster Hunter.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, it is a bit ambigous, but the sentence starts about the Switch in general and the bit about USF2 is inserted in a way that you could remove it and the sentence would still make sense in regard to the Switch.
I also don't think 状況 is a word that common for describing sales of a single title.

Yes, it's very unlikely they meant Street Fighter would determine in their Switch support.

I suspect they meant something along the lines of "We're looking at how the hardware is doing, what types of games are selling well, how our own game is selling, demographics, and more to determine what exactly we should be making for the platform.", but that answer is kind of long winded for this type of interview.

That said, the game will probably determine whether or not they try more expensive enhanced retro ports.

EDarkness

Yes, it's very unlikely they meant Street Fighter would determine in their Switch support.

I suspect they meant something along the lines of "We're looking at how the hardware is doing, what types of games are selling well, how our own game is selling, demographics, and more to determine what exactly we should be making for the platform.", but that answer is kind of long winded for this type of interview.

That said, the game will probably determine whether or not they try more expensive enhanced retro ports.

I REALLY hope that they don't just release a bunch of old games and call that support. If that's all they're gonna do, then they shouldn't even bother. They have a lot of games coming out relatively soon that they could port over that would be more exciting.

*sigh* Really Capcom? How about using this SF game to determine if future SF games are a good fit for the Switch instead? How about you try a game that isn't an old port (over priced at that) to determine if the Switch will work for you guys.

andthebeatgoeson

So basically, ignore Street Fighter 5 on switch, have this old fucking title.

It sounds like SF 5 is not that great but i assume it would be a better thing for switch now than any time in the future.

It sounds like SF 5 is not that great but i assume it would be a better thing for switch now than any time in the future.

Actually Street Fighter V has finally turned into a pretty great game. I picked it up on Steam when more features and characters were available and I'm glad I waited. The launch was a big screwup though and really hurt the game.

VariantX

SF5 is a Sony console exclusive. A better idea would have been USF4, SFA anthology, SF3 collection, a marvel vs capcom collection...etc.

Malakai

Should I just give up on hoping for Power Stone 3 on the Switch now?

You are talking about a company that released a Power Stone Collection on the PSP on the eve of the Wii debut and didn't even bother releasing it on the Wii (or any other platform for that matter...)

zenspider

"Cites the DS/Wii as examples of hardware with explosive hardware sales that at the start of their cycles did well thanks to Nintendo showing others how to make games fitting of the hardware, while third parties originally struggled on these platforms and didn't sell very well"

Nice to hear this assessment from a CEO and not a poster labeled a fanboy.

Ironically, Capcom DID have a grasp on Wii pretty early on with Zack and Wiki.

Sadly, this suggests Capcom (along with many others it seems) will be late to the Switch party - post e3 "doomed" threads incoming.

Meffer

They're bluffing. They're idiots if they won't make more games for the Switch and more so if they think that bluff will work. I'll buy MH.

Should I just give up on hoping for Power Stone 3 on the Switch now?

I think you should give up hope for any Capcom games on Switch moving forward. This reads to me like a statement saying, "Even though DS and Wii hardware sold a billiondy units, our games didn't sell well enough."

So they don't trust that even though the Switch is moving pretty good hardware numbers that it will translate at all into Capcom game sales. Ultra Street Fighter II was throwing Switch owners a bone and unless they bite really hard, that will likely be Capcom's end of support for the system.

Wamb0wneD

So MonHun 5 is PS4 exclusive then.

The thread title is incorrect.

Capcom's using SF2 sales to determine HOW to support Switch, not whether to support Switch, as the title implies.

And what does that mean? If it sells bad they won't support it and if it does well they will cater to people that don't mind throwing out 40 bucks for SF2, a.k.a the Wii crowd. (and some enthusiasts...)

sinonobu

Banned
I think you should give up hope for any Capcom games on Switch moving forward. This reads to me like a statement saying, "Even though DS and Wii hardware sold a billiondy units, our games didn't sell well enough."

So they don't trust that even though the Switch is moving pretty good hardware numbers that it will translate at all into Capcom game sales. Ultra Street Fighter II was throwing Switch owners a bone and unless they bite really hard, that will likely be Capcom's end of support for the system.

I think MH will come eventually even if USF2 sells 2 copies

So MonHun 5 is PS4 exclusive then.

LOL

Somebody need to ask him about a re clarification on this statement. Yall journalists should get in touch and ask again cause this dont make sense. If it remains true then ask him why.

LiK

They just don't wanna port Mega Man over, amirite.

Mael

I would totally get Dragon's Dogma on Switch.
Really not interested in most of their other products,
MonHun is also something I'd like to see more of.
RE, I'm not interested in buying again re4, I probably have more copies of that game than of SMB3!
I don't know bring back Contra or something.

Top Bottom