• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, so now that the dust has settled, are Pokémon Sun/Moon the best Pokémon games?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So does no one care about the levels of HG/SS being totally fucked up?

It's one of my criticisms for the sacred cow actually. I can actually forgive GSC because it was their first outing, but this is a remake. They should have fixed that.

I've been thinking about this for awhile as I've been completeing my living pokedex and thinking about all the past games and while there is a lot to love here and a lot of QoL improvements I think I really don't like this game much. Its the mainline game I've probably played/enjoyed the least.

Maybe this is just me getting older but the pokemon story/characters are getting so out of control.

I really miss the feeling of just being a kid going out on an adventure from a small town. You bump into these average thugs/crime syndicate that seem, sort of realistic, and aren't insanely over designed/over ambitious, and you just want to catch them all and be the best you can.

In S&M you're jumping through freaking wormholes and alternate dimensions and pokemon/people are fusing and there are pokemon that aren't pokemon, but still are kind of and everyone looks so generically anime JRPGish outlandish. I just wish they simplify the whole essence of pokemon back down so its not so close to insanity. I just don't like how far its gone off the rails. I liked being that kid exploring a forest and training monsters.

I would love for them to do a soft "reboot/retcon" of pokemon that brings in all the stuff they've added through the years in a way that makes more sense. Instead of having to evolve Leafeon by leveling it up near a weird rock, just let us use a leaf stone. Instead of having to have an incense to breed a Munchlax, let us just breed a Snorlax. Revamp some of the pokemon lines. Do we really need Luvdisc AND Alomomola? Why not just put them in the same evolutionary family? I feel like there is a lot they can do here to have all the gens come together a bit more cohesively.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I finished the main story and never picked it up again. First Pokèmon title I didn't spend hundreds of hours in the end game.

Boss Doggie

The only better thing about XY is the online and the anime. And ORAS online is the same so it isn't so special.

I didn't include ORAS, just XY specifically.

XY had no "tunnel" or "hallway" routes, actually had a form of exploration even if just a little bit, had earlier "sidequests" (Chateau, restaurants and cafes, etc.), harder trainer fights, better stat management, PSS, better Pokemon distribution, National Dex being available without Bank, and had no Lillie cutscenes.

Do we really need Luvdisc AND Alomomola? Why not just put them in the same evolutionary family?

Two different species WITH different motifs, no Alomomola has no "heart" theme. No, Octillery and Remoraid not only have a connected theme, biologically they actually share similar concepts, in particular remoras have suckers too.

Roufianos

Soundtrack was amazing, loved the locations and the overall vibe. New Pokemon were pretty decent too besides the UBs. Could have done with a lot more though.

Only negatives are that that the game was so poorly paced at the start with all the handholding, the post game also sucked.

I'd definitely say it's the best since HG/SS though. Miles ahead of Gens 3, 4 and 5.

Two different species WITH different motifs, no Alomomola has no "heart" theme. No, Octillery and Remoraid not only have a connected theme, biologically they actually share similar concepts, in particular remoras have suckers too.

I knew it probably wasn't going to be a popular opinion, but honestly would it really be the end of the world if they were related? Do we really need 2 pink heart shaped fish pokemon that don't evolve into anything else? Now I'm not one against similar type pokemon, I like that each region has different "rodents", "birds", "fish", but this particular example is a bit too similar and it doesn't feel like we gain anything from having them separate outside of people wondering "wait that doesn't involve into that other one?"

I just feel like there is a LOT of streamlining that could be done with the whole pokemon world.

I like them, but I don't think they're close to being the best.

I didn't like the pace of the game, Pokemon calling for help got tedious very quickly, and while the trials were kind of a nice deviation I didn't feel like they were better or more interesting to play than gyms. Trying to chip away at a super Pokemons health while having to deal with it's underlings wasn't very fun. I really hope they go back tp gyms for the next games.

ffdgh

I didn't include ORAS, just XY specifically.

XY had no "tunnel" or "hallway" routes, actually had a form of exploration even if just a little bit, had earlier "sidequests" (Chateau, restaurants and cafes, etc.), harder trainer fights, better stat management, PSS, better Pokemon distribution, National Dex being available without Bank, and had no Lillie cutscenes.
Not the biggest fan of XY, but it does bug me how GF actually made post game grinding such a pain in SM right when they introduced hyper training. I miss the Cheatu, Blissey bases, and Dexnav. Festival Plaza is a bad replacement for the PSS and Join Avenue.

No entry has gotten me back into Pokemon in a way I was addicted to it since the Gen 2 remakes; Sun and Moon are no exception

FWIW Team Skull's the best team in the series so far, though Rowlet and the crappy memes surrounding it exists, so it automatically knocks a few points off my favor

Dartrix and Decidueye are good Pokemon, I just hate Rowlet, first time I didn't go with a Grass Starter at all

khaaan

It's a little hard to say "best" when looking at the franchise game to game feels so iterative. I wasn't a fan of the setting but I thought the Totems and "Gyms" being replaced with dungeon like locations were a fun mix up.I think either X/Y or OR/AS are the better packages overall and would still say one of those are the best experience to have with Pokemon. Personally though I would give it to either the Gen1/Gen2 remakes or to Black/White.

Griss

Nah, X/Y are the best pokemon games on the 3ds.

Sun and Moon has the following issues:
-Poor pacing throughout but especially in the first 5 hours
-Way too many cutscenes with dull, repetitive dialogue
-Lack of exploration, too many straight routes
-Lack of pokemon diversity until at least halfway in
-Terrible online features compared to the PSS
-The replacement for gyms were awful
-Worst companion in the series in Hau
-Somehow the engine is still terrible, but now there's just no 3d at all, pretty shocking for a major dev

All of those things were much better in X/Y with the exception of the engine.

Honestly I didn't think Sun/Moon got really good until the 4th island - right near the very end of the game. That's when it opens up a bit. Before that it's just a tedious march through endless cutscenes.

Boss Doggie

I knew it probably wasn't going to be a popular opinion, but honestly would it really be the end of the world if they were related? Do we really need 2 pink heart shaped fish pokemon that don't evolve into anything else? Now I'm not one against similar type pokemon, I like that each region has different "rodents", "birds", "fish", but this particular example is a bit too similar and it doesn't feel like we gain anything from having them separate outside of people wondering "wait that doesn't involve into that other one?"

I just feel like there is a LOT of streamlining that could be done with the whole pokemon world.

It is a popular opinion though (that alomomola and luvdisc should be the same). Alomomola is less of a heart and more of a hand pokemon, with its motif being a tanky helping hand pokemon. Luvdisc is "that trash you fish because heart scales".

No game has come close to BW and B2W2 level of perfection yet. Still hoping we will get a game has good as that someday again in the pokemon series.

Number_6

Awesome games, but too slow, too much hand holding, too many vapid cutscenes.

My favorite is Gen V. So much content!

I'd prefer HG/SS, but there's nowhere to level up, wild Pokemon are too weak, and rematches are inconvenient to find.

Spyware

I thought so when I started but... nah. Sun/Moon have some great new mechanics and ideas but the rest is not good enough. I'm disappointed by many of the new mons and the regional dex, and those are huge parts of the game when Nuzlocking, which is the way I play.

I thought my favs were HeartGold and SoulSilver but when I replayed them recently I hated the uneven levels of wild mons versus trainers and gyms that made it super grindy. It totally destroyed my love for playing them which is super sad. I love many things about them... but playing them is something I will never do again.

I am currently playing ORAS and they also have some nice ideas but a super boring regional dex, just like the original Gen 3. I'm extremely bored of them and want them to end.

X/Y felt good for a long while but replaying it just a short while ago made me realise that I don't like it as much as I thought. It has the opposite problem tho. The regional dex is fantastic with great new mons and a huge variety. Too bad the story couldn't be as good.

So that leaves...
Gen 1 (including remakes) and 2 which are dear to me due to nostalgia but I don't want to replay them.

Pearl/Diamond which were extremely slow but otherwise kinda nice.

And my favs:

Platinum because it is fun to nuzlocke and has a fine collection of pokémon.
The complete Gen 5 which are by far the best due to both the dex and story being phenomenal by Pokémon standards. In the first games you get the no-old-mons-thing which is so refreshing. The sequels mixes in old favs and created a nice blend.

So Black/White and Black2/White2 takes the cake.

kris.

Banned
i've had it since November and i can't bring myself to finish it. i don't think i'm even halfway through the game yet and it's such a slog.

2nd gen is the gold standard for all time.

Stardust911

Neo Member
I think Sun/Moon was amazing, however it felt too easy. Also did not like the immense slowdown of the game when in a double or triple battle.

wartama

Neo Member
The number of people saying XY were better games... For shame, gaf.

Pokemon Sun was my third pokemon game, only played Yellow in GB Colour and XY, and I enjoyed my time with it more than I did with XY. Team Skull are best team, and the concept of Alola was brillian, even though the paths were short and directed.

But the pokemon designs in Alola are top-notch. There's a cohesive theme they all share. Also, Rowlet is best starter, fight me.

Nah, X/Y are the best pokemon games on the 3ds.

Sun and Moon has the following issues:
-Poor pacing throughout but especially in the first 5 hours
-Way too many cutscenes with dull, repetitive dialogue
-Lack of exploration, too many straight routes
-Lack of pokemon diversity until at least halfway in
-Terrible online features compared to the PSS
-The replacement for gyms were awful
-Worst companion in the series in Hau
-Somehow the engine is still terrible, but now there's just no 3d at all, pretty shocking for a major dev

All of those things were much better in X/Y with the exception of the engine.

Honestly I didn't think Sun/Moon got really good until the 4th island - right near the very end of the game. That's when it opens up a bit. Before that it's just a tedious march through endless cutscenes.

Take that back!

Phu

Banned

I'd be fine with some stuff like that. They already retrofitted Hitmonlee and Chan together with Tyrogue.

Currently slowly playing through Sun, way too many cut scenes and dialog and the game in general doesn't have me hooked so far although I'm not completely sure why not..

Magnus

Woah woah, where's the revisionist X/Y hate coming from? Man, I seriously thought they were almost universally recognized as the best games in the series when they released. The transition from 2D to 3D was generally awesome. Character models looked great. The UI and speedy interface ruled. Quality of life features were introduced all over the place. The online elements like Wonder Trade made everyone's play through feel and play differently. The music was great.

I dunno, I thought they were amazing.

I can't consider story and characters when comparing Pokemon games though. All of the games are generally trash tier in those departments. They're not what you play Pokemon games for imo so they don't even factor in.

It may be one of the better Pokemon RPGs but it's almost insufferable compared to other RPGs. Overlong tutorials desperately need to be shed from the Pokemon games. It's unacceptable to play through 3 or 4 hours of Sun and Moon and still feel like the game is holding your hand all the way through it. The QoL stuff they added in SM is great and makes it one of the better games to play, but it's still a dated game by almost any other standard.

If Stars doesn't include an option to skip cutscenes, that's enough to prevent me from getting it.

Boss Doggie

Woah woah, where's the revisionist X/Y hate coming from? Man, I seriously thought they were almost universally recognized as the best games in the series when they released. The transition from 2D to 3D was generally awesome. Character models looked great. The UI and speedy interface ruled. Quality of life features were introduced all over the place. The online elements like Wonder Trade made everyone's play through feel and play differently. The music was great.

I dunno, I thought they were amazing.

I can't consider story and characters when comparing Pokemon games though. All of the games are generally trash tier in those departments. They're not what you play Pokemon games for imo so they don't even factor in.

Yeah I never liked the story in Pokemon too since most are lame, and the closest that tried to be different ended up throwing it away (BW).

Lillie is grating, and the limited facial expressions in the game had you see shit like Lillie confronting her mom and she does that anime "irritated face" which is so inappropriate.

It is a popular opinion though (that alomomola and luvdisc should be the same). Alomomola is less of a heart and more of a hand pokemon, with its motif being a tanky helping hand pokemon. Luvdisc is "that trash you fish because heart scales".

Yeah I guess I meant the whole "streamline of the games" combine lines, simplify processes, reboot/retcon stuff, remove pokemon if needed. I feel like most people wouldn't love that. I've played every mainline game, but I'm not super hardcore into them or any sort of competitive battler, so to me I never knew Alomomola was a "hand" thing, just looked/seemed like a boring duplicate thing that I caught to fill my dex and never looked at again. So maybe that's my fault :)

Anyway that's not my biggest gripe, I think my biggest gripe is how the scale and sanity of these games have spiraled out of control in regards to the story. I'd love to see a return to the roots in that aspect of things. I'm not saying "8 gyms, elite 4, done". But maybe not have to fight villains that want to take over time/space/muliverse, and not having legendary pokemon that are gods and just make it a little be smaller of a feel in scope. Or increase the scope in better ways like exploration, environments, etc.

JackHerer

Something about them, maybe it was the Pokémon, just didn't grab me as much as X and Y even though it is overall a better game.

Best Pokémon games for me were GS/HGSS, BW2 (kind of hated BW), and X and Y.

I put hundreds of hours into X and Y, burnout out on SM much quicker but can't put my finger on exactly why.

Edit: To be clear, SM is pretty great, still beat the game twice. Just didn't get sucked into the online battling and breeding as much.

Sun and Moon has been a slog to get through. I think I have Pokemon exhaustion. I get that they tried to switch things up, but it wasn't as fun as the traditional games.

I think it's the battle system too. It's just so slow. I wish they could use some kind of ATB system or make it more fast-paced.

Linkark07

Banned
After S/G/C and B/W, yeah, I would consider this my third favorite gen. And the best Pokemon games on the 3DS. It is something I actually cared for the characters, just like in B/W.

I've never been less interested in playing the post game than I have with Sun/Moon. I played the hell out of the campaign, but even towards the end I wasn't as into it so no, definitely not the best.

Unfortunately, For me, no. These were the first pokemon games I bounced off of without Finishing and I have no desire to go back to them.

I'd put Sun/Moon in the upper tier of pokemon titles. Admittedly didn't care for the plot and a few other details but a third version/sequel game could really take its strong base to the top of the mountain.

For my money the Gen 5 duo still present the best of the series with both parts offering an experience that compliments the other.

So does no one care about the levels of HG/SS being totally fucked up?

I care, greatly.
The game is a mess, an enjoyable mess but a mess none the less and the remake completely screwed the pooch by NOT FIXING THINGS!
So in fact I'd sooner play the original GBC versions of Gen 2 since they don't run like absolute arse.

I can't find access to the new 3D graphics for some reason. I loved the look of the old ones, especially Gen V. For that reason alone I prefer B/W or the sequel.

It's one of my criticisms for the sacred cow actually. I can actually forgive GSC because it was their first outing, but this is a remake. They should have fixed that.

What exactly was fucked up? I can't remember anymore.

Yeah, not a big fan of this gen. Watching an unskippable cutscene only to then walk 10 feet and enter ANOTHER cutscene is not my idea of fun.

Of course, it may just be my current circumstances in real life. Having a kid seriously drains your free time, so I can't tell if I haven't been able to get into this series because of the game itself, or just real life getting in the way.

To be honest though, I actually did enjoy XY more. I had basically skipped the BW generation (I'm going back to play them), because I was a little burnt out, so XY was really refreshing. I think I have 330 hours played on my copy of X.

Galang

Banned
The fatigue for the series finally set in after X/Y. I like that they tried to switch up the formula with Sun/Moon, but they need to go waaaay deeper next time. I think the 3DS entries aside ORAS are the worst in the mainline series. X/Y being the lowest point.

Busaiku

Definitely.

My previous favorite was Unova, but Alola feels so much more lively. The setting, music, and characters flow together much better than any previous region.
I can agree the Pokémon distribution sucks though, a lot of the newer Pokémon feel neglected, which is weird.
But, it's still so fun going back to the world and experiencing everything. In previous games, after I beat the story, I never really felt a connection with the games, it just felt over. However, despite the events that happen at the end of the story, it still feels like I have something waiting for me when I open it back up.

Overall, Alola has my favorite new Pokémon, favorite Elite 4, favorite "gym leaders", favorite setting, favorite Professor, favorite Champion, favorite villains, favorite story Legendaries, and favorite companions. I just love the characters so much.

XandBosch

2nd Gen still have that crown.

FTFY

This. I actually hated the remakes lol. I'll always prefer the old school Pokemon. The 8-bit music and sounds, the visuals, the sprites, etc. Probably is almost definitely nostalgia, but I don't really give a shit. There's nothing like curling up with an old game boy colour (or maybe advance SP for the backlight) and playing one of the old pokemon games.

I'm still struggling to get through the main story. I personally love the Pokemon designs and all that, but the linearity/railroading, abundance of dialogue and the "Pokemon call for help!" system really burn me out. I don't think the Trials are very interesting, either (although the Ghost one was pretty creepy).

X/Y and OR/AS are superior 3DS Pokemon gmaes, although HG/SS remain the series masterpiece IMO.

Falchion

They are up there for sure just because of how many quality of life improvements they have and how much fun the island trials are.

Top Bottom