• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

DarkFlow

Banned
I traded in 360 and PS3 to best buy awhile back when they had there own $100 deal going on. My 80GB PS3 phat was worth like $10 as trade in, and my 360 250GB Slim was worth $70. So you all seem to be out of your mind if you think you're going to get anywhere close to $100 for a PS3.

EDIT: Since some people think I'm a idiot and selling my PS3 for $10, no that was BEFORE THE PROMO. They then added $90 to make it worth the $100.

Acosta

Yeeeeeah, I will sell my PS3 with a massive backlog and plenty of games to come for the chance to pay 400$ for a Xbox One and its superb library of games.

I wouldn't even change a PS3 for a Xbox one.

FluxWaveZ

I traded in 360 and PS3 to best buy awhile back when they had there own $100 deal going on. My 80GB PS3 phat was worth like $10 as trade in, and my 360 250GB Slim was worth $70. So you all seem to be out of your mind if you think you're going to get anywhere close to $100 for a PS3.

No, I'm fairly sure that's a very sensible price when reselling a console on eBay or Craigslist.

I think you're out of your mind if you believe the trade-in value for a console at a Best Buy is what an actual used console's value is.

DarkFlow

Banned
No, I'm fairly sure that's a very sensible price when reselling a console on eBay or Craigslist.

I think you're out of your mind if you believe the trade-in value for a console at a Best Buy is what an actual used console's value is.

Really, you think a 80GB ps3 PHAT that's like 7 years old is worth more then $100...

jedimike

I have a Phat PS3....Sure its more woth than 100$. :) This is so funny

People seem to be having a hard time separating personal value from market value.

Most people will not trade in a gaming system they still use for a $100. I still have a Xbox 360 and still use it. That's not the point.

That being said, I did trade in a launch 360 to BestBuy for $100. Normal trade in value was something like $12. $100 was a good deal for me at that time.

Just because it's not a good deal for you doesn't mean it's not a good deal for everyone.

FeiRR

Banned
I'm glad this form of marketing is illegal in EU. Having fun on GAF is one thing but an official campaign aimed at your competition in real business is just pathetic.

Caayn

I'm glad this form of marketing is illegal in EU. Having fun on GAF is one thing but an official campaign aimed at your competition in real business is just pathetic.
It's perfectly legal in The Netherlands to name your competitor in your ads/commercials/etc. But there are a few requirements, for example you cannot do mislead people with it.

Besides since when is it pathetic to market your product by addressing your competitor? And you do realize that they also accept 360s for it? And that other companies also do these kinds of programs?

That sounds a bit cheap. With their currently known line-up having not a single interesting thing for me I wouldn't even go for an even trade with the roll PS+ has been on, Dark Souls II and Persona 5 on the way. Sounds like a better deal for 360 owners.

border

More than half of those sold for less than $100. A few people were able to sell a system for like $150. After eBay and PayPal took their cut, those sellers got maybe $130.

eBay is a lot of risk and hassle just to get an extra thirty bucks. You might not be able to get $150, and even if you do the buyer can just claim their console was broken and you lose everything.

FeiRR

Banned
Besides since when is it pathetic to market your product by addressing your competitor? And you do realize that they also accept 360s for it? And that other companies also do these kinds of programs?
What kind of question is that? I expressed my opinion. For me it's pathetic and shows weakness of their marketing department. You may disaggree if you want. I also didn't say Microsoft is the only company out there with terrible marketing ideas.

FluxWaveZ

More than half of those sold for less than $100. A few people were able to sell a system for like $150. After eBay and PayPal took their cut, those sellers got maybe $130.

eBay is a lot of risk and hassle just to get an extra thirty bucks. You might not be able to get $150, and even if you do the buyer can just claim their console was broken and you lose everything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlaySt...1360339678?pt=Video_Games&hash=item338a1abade $52

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlaySt...0844301035?pt=Video_Games&hash=item5403ff12eb $31

Yeah I see a bunch a little north of $100 but after ebay fee's and shipping. You're not getting $100 for it, and also almost of NONE of them have bids.

Alright, fine (despite the cosmetic damage on those two examples). But my point was mostly that the $10 trade-in price at Best Buy is not indicative of normal resell value if you use other venues.

DarkFlow

Banned
Alright, fine (despite the cosmetic damage on those two examples). But my point was mostly that the $10 trade-in price at Best Buy is not indicative of normal resell value if you use other venues.

I understand that, I'm not stupid. Best Buy is out to make a profit on trade in's. I was just saying it was the easiest and maybe one of the last time's you're going to get that much money out of a old model PS3.

beast786

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlaySt...1360339678?pt=Video_Games&hash=item338a1abade $52

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlaySt...0844301035?pt=Video_Games&hash=item5403ff12eb $31

Yeah I see a bunch a little north of $100 but after ebay fee's and shipping. You're not getting $100 for it, and also almost of NONE of them have bids.

Damn , MS must be really desperate, buying ps3 back for 100 bucks when they clearly are not worth that much. NPD numbers must be real intresting

FluxWaveZ

I understand that, I'm not stupid. Best Buy is out to make a profit on trade in's. I was just saying it was the easiest and maybe one of the last time's you're going to get that much money out of a old model PS3.

Alright, then I agree. $100 is a pretty good price for a used PS3.

JCizzle

Right. I seem to remember a lot of people gladly jumping on that best buy deal a few months ago. This is a good deal IMO. Just overreaction because of the purchaser.

Do you think bestbuy would resell that ps3 for $10? Sorry to say this but i think you got ripped off, $10 seems awfully low.

I have a day one 60gb backwards compatible model and the value of having 3 consoles in one is worth over $200...easily.

DarkFlow

Banned
Do you think bestbuy would resell that ps3 for $10? Sorry to say this but i think you got ripped off, $10 seems awfully low.

I have a day one 60gb backwards compatible model and the value of having 3 consoles in one is worth over $200...easily.

I got $100 for it. the $10 was before they did the promo, no way in hell I would sell a ps3 for $10 lol. I got $200 all together from them for both consoles, I then turned that $200 in Best Buy credit into Amazon gift cards.

Once again screwed out of owning the first gen 360. I don't have much interest in a One but if I could trade in my launch 20GB I would probably do it.

I got $100 for it. the $10 was before they did the promo, no way in hell I would sell a ps3 for $10 lol. I got $200 all together from them for both consoles, I then turned that $200 in Best Buy credit into Amazon gift cards.

Ah ok, nice one. Yea i know some of the places (like eb games/gamestop) just love to screw ppl that arent in the know/don't care about resale value.

Right. I seem to remember a lot of people gladly jumping on that best buy deal a few months ago. This is a good deal IMO. Just overreaction because of the purchaser.
No, as has been pointed out numerous times in the thread, they're being mocked because it's a terrible value proposition.

You own a PS3. For $400, you can:
a) Have an XBone instead.
b) Have a PS3 and a PS4.

Most people would opt for B, I suspect.

Jomjom

Banned
How can people think this is a bad promotion on MS's part? They lose nothing as I'm sure they have some way to recoup the $100 discount from the PS3. Each person who takes them up on this represents +1 to the MS ecosystem and -1 to the Sony ecosystem. Just in this thread, there are people who are taking advantage of this. Even if literally 0 people took them up on this offer, who cares? It's no loss to them. Incredibly smart on MS's part.

You actually let them give you $10 for your PS3?

Oh I see.

Yeah, I ditched my 360 recently and picked up a 60GB OG PS3 for the same reason (wanted the full PS2 / PSX support). All the CECHA01 models still sell for higher than you would expect on eBay.

Personally I don't think it feels that dirty. I don't see much of a difference between this and that trade in deal T-Mobile just started in which they'll pay you to switch carriers.

I think thats dirty too, its creepy. It's like the they're trying to buy you by dangling the shiny thing in front of you.

They should Just make the XB1 the same price point as the PS4 if they're doing this and skip the dumb 'promotional' gimmicks, it just makes them look desperate.

How can people think this is a bad promotion on MS's part? They lose nothing as I'm sure they have some way to recoup the $100 discount from the PS3. Each person who takes them up on this represents +1 to the MS ecosystem and -1 to the Sony ecosystem. Just in this thread, there are people who are taking advantage of this. Even if literally 0 people took them up on this offer, who cares? It's no loss to them. Incredibly smart on MS's part.
Are there? Seems like everyone who had any interest backed out when we learned they won't take broken machines.

Maybe some were interested in trading in their 360s? Regarding PS3s, the prevailing sentiment seems to be, "WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS, MICROSOFT!!"

I sold off all my 360 gear and had enough to cover my PC build. That is about the only positive to having the disc game is the ability for resale.

Top Bottom