• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a year: Google Maps's quiet transformation, Apple Maps's ___?

my work requires me to travel around a lot and I use Google Map for the last 5 years for it. since I use an Android phone I have no idea if Apple Map is any good at all, but there had been a few times when my co-workers would have road closure, traffic and detour issue when using their Apple Map while I did fine with Google Map. now a days I just tell them to use Google Map instead.

VeeP

Wow. Great article. The writer really did the legwork.

As for this whole Google Maps vs Apple Maps.

Waze is the GOAT. Hopefully Google fully integrates Waze and its features into Google Maps someday.

chekhonte

Waze is the GOAT. Hopefully Google fully integrates Waze and its features into Google Maps someday.

My mom uses Waze. What makes it so much better than googe?

faisal233

How can something like iMessages be so elegant but Apple Maps so much trash? It's puzzling.
I message is a simple cs problem, with apple elegance and top to bottom integration.

Maps is a hard, and constantly evolving cs problem. No amount of elegance and integration can make up for lackluster tech.

Nah, keep them separate. Waze is more GPS routing focused and Maps is more general purpose. They don't need to be one app.
It's more aggressive in it's rerouting and updating of map data than Google Maps is.

iavi

Their location accuracy is top notch. You just can't replace the number of years they have had their camera driving roads taking those photos and feeding them into machines to fine tune the data. No one is going to catch them in this area unless they put rubber on the road, and whenever they do, they will still be a decade or more behind.

The way you can go to locations and scroll through TIME on Google Maps to see the areas change over the years of collected streetview footage is just crazy.

I'd be interested in seeing a mapping of Tesla's data for this exact reason. The only way to even begin to catch up with Google's raw time advantage, is through sheer crowdsourcing of road data

Heavy gif warning, this website just grinded Chrome on my beefy laptop to a halt. As a result, I couldn't even see half of the pictures of the page, sadly enough.

There's something wrong with your laptop then. My 5 year old AMD A6 (albeit overclocked and undervolted) had no problem with 6 gigs of ram. Chrome as well.

chekhonte

Nah, keep them separate. Waze is more GPS routing focused and Maps is more general purpose. They don't need to be one app.

It's more aggressive in it's rerouting and updating of map data than Google Maps is.

That would be very useful in seattle. I'll try it.

Daedardus

Worked fine on my MacBook pro.

No issue what's so ever on my beefy desktop or MacBook Pro, I'd check for issues, if you keep having issues get the chrome extension that prevents gifs from playing till they are fully downloaded.

There's something wrong with your laptop then. My 5 year old AMD A6 (albeit overclocked and undervolted) had no problem with 6 gigs of ram. Chrome as well.

Weird, now that I've just tried again it loaded everything in five seconds. Maybe it was my internet or some other stuff that was going on. I have an XPS 15 2017 with 16GB ram so it's shouldn't be my laptop :p.

VeeP

Hmm, well I think Google Maps is pretty great also. So I'm not knocking it.

But for driving through the city, or for drives that take me along the highway and can take an hour or more, I really like Waze. I've used it driving in and out of Chicago and I thought it was really helpful. People submit where cops are located, if there's construction, road hazards, etc. The app automatically changes your route so you have the fastest route possible if traffic increases or if there's an accident ahead. The app shows your speed and shows the current speed limit which is a useful feature. And finally, Waze offer's tons of different voices as your navigation voice.

I've also noticed that Google Maps sometimes draws information from Waze.

GatorBait

Really cool to see how Google Maps changed over time. I wonder why the focus switch from roads to places. I get that they want people to discover new places but you also need to use it to get there and track a path. Would love to know the reasoning.

I think the below quote nails it. In 2017, I'd wager the use case for the vast majority of people when browsing/viewing Maps is looking for specific places. To "get there and track a path," people nowadays just plug in the destination and overlay the directions on the map (making the road/paths more prominent via high-contrast directions/breadcrumbs) or they use GPS.

It's a really smart product evolution, when you think about it. And all the more impressive that most people probably had no idea Maps changed so much, but they likely continued to find it intuitively and seamlessly useful through the evolution.

I think Google emphasising places over roads is a very smart idea. Most people probably aren't using maps in the traditional sense anyway these days, we've switched to using them to well, find places, and then rely on GPS for getting us there if it's far enough that we need to chart a path. Making those places easier to find (especially if you're just curious on what's around and aren't looking for a specific place) will be really helpful.

Iolo

I wonder if anyone other than myself kind of prefers the original incarnation of Google Maps in 2005 where the emphasis is on roads and you can easily see each and every road name instead of tiny unlabeled lines. Since no one navigates by road name anymore and just lets the computer do the driving, I guess not.

Goldrush

When using as a GPS, I need high-contrast graphics and gaudy UI to quickly identify information on screen. Don't know if I'm happy with the Places over Roads changes. Apple Maps is really slick and clean, but I have no sense of surrounding when glancing at the app.

Bigfoot

Apple Maps is the second worst thing that ever happened to Apple. The problem is they still, fundamnetally, don't get why they can't do it right.
I've had Google maps lead me wrong twice. Both times I tried Apple Maps and it was dead on. Google is still my default as I'm too lazy to change but I don't get how you can consider Apple Maps a mistake.

Koodo

Banned
When using as a GPS, I need high-contrast graphics and gaudy UI to quickly identify information on screen. Don't know if I'm happy with the Places over Roads changes. Apple Maps is really slick and clean, but I have no sense of surrounding when glancing at the app.
I mean, you shouldn't be looking at the screen to begin with.

WaterAstro

People often complain about Google collecting data, but it's all for the benefit of us all.

This is a good example of it. Google uses all sorts of feedback to make constant improvements to their software. They treat all of the businesses as their partners, and, respectfully, Google makes sure every business is visible as clicks on the business means more ad revenue. Making a thriving ecosystem is Google's business, whereas, imo, Apple is just out to sell physical products as a priority.

Maximus.

People often complain about Google collecting data, but it's all for the benefit of us all.

This is a good example of it. Google uses all sorts of feedback to make constant improvements to their software. They treat all of the businesses as their partners, and, respectfully, Google makes sure every business is visible as clicks on the business means more ad revenue. Making a thriving ecosystem is Google's business, whereas, imo, Apple is just out to sell physical products as a priority.

It's funny how you just dismiss Apple, when it is all about diversity, trying to be more Eco conscious, protect your privacy, etc. Yes, it makes a lot of money and makes products that sell well for a large profit. Google is ambitious in its own right right, but it is collecting all your information it can to not necessarily build better products, but make revenue and profit via ads. At the end of the day, ads is the majority of Google revenue. Collecting your personal information isn't the sole thing leading to innovation and iteration, though it helps in some situations.

WaterAstro

It's funny how you just dismiss Apple, when it is all about diversity, trying to be more Eco conscious, protect your privacy, etc. Yes, it makes a lot of money and makes products that sell well for a large profit. Google is ambitious in its own right right, but it is collecting all your information it can to not necessarily build better products, but make revenue and profit via ads. At the end of the day, ads is the majority of Google revenue. Collecting your personal information isn't the sole thing leading to innovation and iteration, though it helps in some situations.

When did I say collecting personal information?

They collect your clicks, how fast you can navigate, how easy you browse through their website. Iterations of Chrome have had minor tweaks with the layout to maximize intuitiveness and speed because of telemetry. None of it has to do with personal information. Also, the method of how Google does ad targeting is not selling your information to Ad partners. They take your interest via browsing history and take ad partners that might interest you to connect them. Nothing goes to the ad partners. I trust my privacy with Google more than anyone else.

In fact, I just got back into LinkedIn (owned by Microsoft). I said no to Linkedin for the permission to use my gmail contact list, and lo and behold, I see my gmail contact list on Linkedin saying I should invite them to use it. Yeah, fuck Microsoft.

As for diversity, I don't know how you can say that when Apple gives you so little options on phones. Android is an open market of diversity. Where's Apple's option of having a headphone jack?

Izayoi

Banned
I like Waze over Google Maps and Apple maps
Pretty sure that Waze and Google Maps are very closely integrated, no?

Google Maps uses data from Waze when charting traffic - no reason for me to use Waze really when taking into account all of the additional features that Google Maps has.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
For someone who uses transit, Apple Maps is way ahead of Google Maps. You get the exact station locations and plans in Apple.

bionic77

I actually like the look of Apple Maps better. It also uses less battery, integrates better with my watch and on the iPhone also deals better with music or podcasts going on at the same time.

That said there is no doubt that Google Maps handles traffic situations much better than Apple (though still not as good as Waze) and generally has better data on businesses, restaurants, etc.

I use both of them in different situations. No question that overall Google Maps are better but I also feel people tend to exaggerate how bad Apple Maps are.

-griffy-

Banned
I know Google Maps is better, but I've been using Apple Maps since I have Carplay and it's been working fine honestly. Way better than when it first released.

Izayoi

Banned
For someone who uses transit, Apple Maps is way ahead of Google Maps. You get the exact station locations and plans in Apple.
???

Google Maps has this feature for some time and it generally works very well.

There is more accurate local data where I am (Metro and UW have put GPS trackers on most buses and trams in Seattle) through outside apps, but for day-to-day trips Google Maps can't be beat.

The only thing it could use, IMO, is a multi-part trip planner (i.e., drive from home to transit center, take the bus, walk from downtown to work).

VeeP

Pretty sure that Waze and Google Maps are very closely integrated, no?

Google Maps uses data from Waze when charting traffic - no reason for me to use Waze really when taking into account all of the additional features that Google Maps has.

They are integrated. But I've never noticed google maps telling me locations of cops on the highway and a few other small features that make drives in big cities and highways more convientant.

Izayoi

Banned
They are integrated. But I've never noticed google maps telling me locations of cops on the highway and a few other small features that make drives in big cities and highways more convientant.
That's fair. If you don't have a radar detector, I can see it as a useful supplement.

jts

...hate me...
Google maps is best but whenever I need native functionality for some reason (Siri, Widget, 3D touch, contacts, etc) I use Apple Maps with no issues whatsoever. It's not 2012 anymore. Maps are commodity without huge differences.

gcubed

I mean, this was in Google for multiple years before Apple maps. I think it was there before Apple maps existed.

I've switched to Waze for long trips as the police locations are awesome

cjp

Interesting that the author has seen quite a bit of traffic from Apple's corporate network. I wonder what they think when they read and digest his analysis. He highlights no changes between the launch of the new design and how it looked when the article was published - will we see another redesign come iOS 11? They haven't iterated on the current one which makes me think it's a possibility.

As for which I use, I keep finding myself going back to Google Maps time and time again. The ability to download areas for offline use and still get directions is extremely useful when I park up in the middle of nowhere to go hiking.

I find the same thing in Toronto. For driving, Google still better though but I never drive anymore. Apple Maps also warns me when the subway is down which I don't recall Google Maps ever doing.

I find the same thing in Toronto. For driving, Google still better though but I never drive anymore. Apple Maps also warns me when the subway is down which I don't recall Google Maps ever doing.
Google does when giving directions.

At least in NYC. Maybe they don't have information sharing outside the MTA

I'm actually on vacation in Montréal right. It does seem that their transit instructions up here are better than google.

Fliesen

there's no real reason to not just use Google Maps as your goto maps app in iOS.

Luckily, the interconnection between "default apps" isn't as big with the maps app as it is with, say, the default web browser, the default email client, the default media player.

The wonky start of Apple maps made people immediately lose trust in the app. And if you end up always double checking via the google maps app anyways, why not skip the built in maps app altogether.

DJ_Lae

It's really interesting to see how Google has changed their maps over the years, and it makes sense to focus more on places now as if you need emphasis on roads you can always set a route to your place of interest.

My wife has an iPhone so I've gotten to mess around with Apple maps a bit, and it's functional but not nearly as useful. I've gotten so spoiled with using Google maps that I can't imagine not having it on hand all the time.

Google Maps is light-years ahead of whatever that thing Apple has.

Maps, Street View and Earth all combine to form the Voltron of Map services.

the_id

And all this for free from both services?

There has to be a catch right? It's actually so big brother can track all cell phones more accurately right?

Top Bottom