• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's celebrate the greatest form of DLC

Mephala

Shadowrun Dragonfall started as a standalone DLC campaign for Shadowrun Returns.

Also a shout out to Age of Empires 2 expansion so many years later even with the HD release.

Freeman76

If we want to talk MMO expansions, the base Heavensward experience in FFXIV was top notch. It perfectly encapsulated the old school final fantasy feel of journeying with a party on a pilgrimage.

Stormblood was excellent too for different reasons but I give the nod to HW for hitting all the right nostalgia notes and ending with one of my favorite fights in the game from the pure spectacle standpoint.

This is a really bad example. They locked that expansion behind so much tedious shit before you could even access it. Fuck that game, charge you monthly and dont prewarn you that the dlc you are buying requires a million stupid fetch quests before you can even play what you paid for.

GW2 does MMO expansions with sense.

Hanmik

rdr_undeadnightmare.jpg

damn..

ffvorax

Well best DLC are actually the good old Expansions of the games...
Bad example: FFXV DLCs
Best example: Witcher 3 DLCs

I always remember the Diablo 2 expansion... :Q...

Lutherian

Mass Effect 3: Citadel.

Before I played The Last of Us: Left Behind, Citadel was the greatest experience I had with a DLC, especially after the terrible "Choose your beam color !" endings. I know many people experienced it like it was the true ending of the game, or something that happens AFTER the ending.

A proper way to say farewell to my Shepard his lover Steve Cortez, to end 5 years of Mass Effect.

MadMod

Most of the ones I was gonna mention are mentioned. The single player expansions.

Ill go with Driveclub.

Season pass was incredible, pretty much adds another campaign with lots of vehicles for one respectable price.

Bikes, adds a new standalone campaign and Motorbikes to the game.

That excludes the ridiculous amount of free updates.

Paertan

Lots of godd DLC mentioned and I want to cast a vote on
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Great DLC in many ways. Borderlands 2 had really good DLC in general but Tiny Tina DLC was the best IMHO.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Blood and Wine was a ridiculously good expansion. I should've mentioned it earlier.

Dragonborn as well. I always look forward to it, when I create another new character in Skyrim.

Doc_Drop

Fallout New Vegas, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road were the stand outs. Dead money was real tough and a completely different challenge than the rest of the game. Honest Hearts was just ok, but great in early game for levelling and gear.

I did also enjoy the FO3 dlcs were also good. Point Lookout being the best of the bunch

The Witcher's expansion pass got you Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine for less than £20. Two of my favourite expansions of all time. CDPR do the right kind of DLC.

Though not completely standalone, special mention to every piece of Fallout New Vegas DLC. All of them were top tier and I loved the post release support even if the game was a buggy mess at times.

Best thing about the New Vegas DLC was that even though you could play them in any order, if you play them in release order they do all connect in a way. I really loved the DLC for that game, Old World Blues was probably my favorite of the bunch. I also loved the ending of Dead Money.
I dropped as much as I could and took as much gold as I could carry.

barit

I answered it last year in a similar thread but I repeat myself gladly again:

XCOM - Enemy Within

New: XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen

DLC / Expansion done right. There is no contest. Period. Forever and ever ever

Nere

Personally I don't like stand alone DLCs, I prefer DLCs that are meaty and further enrich the main game. With the souls games and the Witcher 3 having the best DLCs in my opinion.

Audioboxer

OP, this topic fails when you leave out Dark Souls/Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 expansions.

Then for some of the ageing PC gamers, Morrowind expansions were good.

ninecubed

Unconfirmed Member
Starcraft: Brood War
Red Dead Undead Nightmare
Half Life: Opposing Force
Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
Ballad of Gay Tony
Dishonored 1 DLC was great, too.

Infamous: First Light was much better overall then Second Son, just wish it was longer. Having a single solid set of powers makes the gameplay much tighter, and neon effects look incredible.

came to post this. also, festival of blood (infamous 2) was also excellent :) ...

LORANT92

Blood & Wine really is one of the best examples in recent memory.
Dragonborn for Skyrim was great as well, and so was BoGT for GTAIV.

Fallout New Vegas pretty much set the bar for DLC that was just barely short of a proper expansion pack. Loved them all, even
though Dead Money was a pain on Hardcore

Borderlands 2 had really good DLC in general but Tiny Tina DLC was the best IMHO.

The only thing I remember from the BL2 DLCs was three of us being pissed at our fourth friend for talking us into buying the season pass.
At least it was the final DLC? I honestly can't think of anything positive other than that.

Skab

Are expansion packs dlc? Are dlc expansions?

Is brood war dlc? D2 Lord of destruction?

These are confusing times.

jph139

header.jpg

Definitely not a popular opinion but, honestly, I think Awakening is the best Dragon Age game. Possibly the only good Dragon Age. If it had a Romance subplot it'd be perfect.

Ctlead

Banned
The Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine

Big new region, some graphical enhancements, 20 hours and more content - DLC done right.

the_witcher_3_blood_and_wine_endgins_how_to_get_the_best.jpg

This. Probably one of the best expansions ever made.

Edit: New Vegas' DLC and Undead Nightmare were exceptional as well.

My favorite DLCs are still the first Halo 3 Map pack and the Reach Map Pack that contained Highlands. I forget the names of the packs these days.
edit: just realized you only want expansions. If we aren't talking maps then in terms of expansions I'd have to go with Diablo 2's expansion.

Also, in hindsight Horse armor didn't seem so bad compared to loot crates
latest

Dishonored 1's Brigmore Witches and Knife of Dunwall dlc.

Also showing a bit of love for old WWII FPS;

Call of Duty 1's United Offensive.

Medal of Honor Allied Assaults Breakthrough and Spearhead.

All of those DLC's add a ton of game and story to games which are already must plays.

Artroias of the Abyss for Dark Souls is my pick, it was the perfect length for an expansion and had level design and bosses that were arguably better than the base game.
All of the expansions for Fallout New Vegas were great as well. Dead Money isn’t my favourite, but Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, and The Lonesome Road are the GOAT for Fallout.

BasilZero

I found both of gtaiv's expansions more enjoyable than the main game

Bioshock 2 Minerva's den was great too

The zombie island and clap trap revolution dlcs for borderlands 1 was great.

I also enjoyed sleeping dogs dlcs

Top Bottom