• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we stop putting fucking cornrows as one of like (maybe) 3 black hair options?

Yeah, I think that's the main reason. They can make "generic" hairstyles that work well for basically any other race, but for black characters they would have to do something almost "exclusive" to them. I suppose they think it's not worth it (yet?).

More reason why we need to infiltrate the industry.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm white and have been annoyed with how rare it has been to be able to build a normal looking black character.

Trey

Yeah, I think that's the main reason. They can make "generic" hairstyles that work well for basically any other race, but for black characters they would have to do something almost "exclusive" to them. I suppose they think it's not worth it (yet?).

Nah, I've seen plenty of culturally Asian hairstyles and European styles widely represented. It's not like black hair is some mystery.

hbkdx12

THe funny thing is that you'd think something like NBA 2k would be on the front lines for getting this shit right but they're just as bad as everyone else.

What I don't understand is that the hairstyles that they use for their actual player models, which are prodominently black, you can't use for your own created character. So dumb.

Exquisik

Mostly white girls.

If you are going to give me cornrows as an option they better have seashells attached.

giphy.gif

Dice

Oh shit, I thought you were Asian.
Understandable, I guess. I have a lot of Asian friends, so I guess that is some influence on me, but I'm not like all about going out of my way to find/enjoy Asian stuff aside from halfway keeping up with kpop via our thread here.

Wozman23

As a white dude, with long hair down to his mid-back and an odd assortment of facial hair, I'm always supportive of more customization options.

Dice

Just saw this and felt it was somewhat relevant (they're playing For Honor):

Let's see what the dev does after getting shamed on Conan.

I think the root of the problem is that while graphics and technology have advanced, hair rendering still looks weird.

I wonder what will be the game that finally nails the way hair looks.

Hair simulation is extremely computation heavy. Witcher 3/Tomb Raider takes around 20% fps hit just for main character.

Interestingly in this regard, I kinda feel that at the very least, various braided hairstyles would be at least a great deal easier to render. Bigger challenge would be in texturing them properly. Once you get over that, there's a lot you can do with that for some pretty inventive styles.

Kyzon

We just need more. I have a short fro in real life and rarely even get that option. Developers need to slide through Harlem a few times

StereoVsn

Eh no they should keep it. Just add more hairstyles. I was wearing braids every now and then 2 years ago when my hair was way longer.
I agree, Devs should add more options not take things away. I personally have couple of friends who sport that and they inevitably pick it for all games where it's allowed. Hell, even the fro is making a comeback of a sort.

I've got long tight curly hair so it sucks that I'll pretty much never have my hair available in a videogame. But yeah I agree, it's always like, buzzcut, cornrows or an afro

Trup1aya

Lol this thread made my day.

I'm tired of settling on a hairstyle intended for a white guy and throwing it on dark skin.

I'm a white male and a huge RPG fan. And I like to make black characters in RPGs alongside my white characters and I am always disappointed by the options. They rarely have hair styles that my real life black friends actually have. So I completely agree, we need more options not less tho. x thanks for bringing it up.
This is what an ally looks like.

The few Black hairstyles available tend to look bad that I tend to just rock that R.Kelly/Aaron Hall/Michael Jordan look and go bald with a goatee.

R00bot

Do we even need black only hair options? They should all just have the same hair options if you ask me. Add some more hairstyles prominent on black people as well, but no need to seperate the two.

R00bot

Who said anything about it being Black only?

I don't know how these games work but I thought by there being a limited amount of "black hair options" we meant they were limited to a certain amount of choices depending on skin colour.

They should really just have more hairstyles, no need to remove cornrows.

Whats wrong with taking corn rows to combat anyway? They're more out of the way than most hairstyles, I'd imagine.

I just wish devs would give a lot of different cut and afro size variation. I hate when they only give you an option for a super huge afro. I feel like it's simple. Same bush of hair, just different cuts.

StereoVsn

These are seriously legit. The lil girl with the black jacket on is fuckin killing it.

First pic is a stone cold goddess, gat dayum....
This would be really tough to model though. You would have to run Hairworks from Nvidia I would think and even then it would be rough on performance.

I don't know how these games work but I thought by there being a limited amount of "black hair options" we meant they were limited to a certain amount of choices depending on skin colour.

They should really just have more hairstyles, no need to remove cornrows.

Nah, create characters allow you to create whatever. Skin types aren't matched with hair types. The problem is afro textured hairstyles are far and few between and usually only consist of the Afro, Cornrows, and a low cut, sometimes they offer Dreads.

Onemic

I agree if you mean we only continue having 1-3 black options.

In general though, the ideal would be just adding more black hair options.

I remember it wasnt long ago where you normally had 0-1 black hair options, with the 1 black option just being a buzzcut

Lol you just finished playing Wildlands huh, I feel you though my g. Its getting old and tiresome to the point where I am just disregarding hair for black created characters in game and looking for hats or hoodies.

diaspora

Naughty Kings know how to make a WOC 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

When will anyone elses faves?
Lol what? The NBA2K team shits all over them and the rest of the industry as far as hair for people of colour are concerned.

I agree, Devs should add more options not take things away. I personally have couple of friends who sport that and they inevitably pick it for all games where it's allowed. Hell, even the fro is making a comeback of a sort.
I still have a fro of sorts, just curly ass and faded on the back and sides. High top I guess lol. I can do the braids with the fade thing as well.

I really just stopped braids cause my old groupies gone and my sister hate braiding my hair

edit: And white girls cant braid lol
Lol right not many people are rockin cornrows anymore especially not an adult

Not true.. lol

Malyse

Do we even need black only hair options? They should all just have the same hair options if you ask me. Add some more hairstyles prominent on black people as well, but no need to seperate the two.

Yeah guys, all hairstyles matter.
Whats wrong with taking corn rows to combat anyway? They're more out of the way than most hairstyles, I'd imagine.

I just wish devs would give a lot of different cut and afro size variation. I hate when they only give you an option for a super huge afro. I feel like it's simple. Same bush of hair, just different cuts.

I'm guessing you've never had cornrows. Take it from someone who has: you wouldn't be rocking them.

The M.O.B

I've been playing bald black guy since the beginning of time. As others have said, Japanese dev are notoriously bad at this.

Bald, cornrows, or goofy afro?

(looking at you monster hunter)

cordy

Banned
I've been playing bald black guy since the beginning of time. As others have said, Japanese dev are notoriously bad at this.

Bald, cornrows, or goofy afro?

(looking at you monster hunter)

Just as bad as some people's depiction of hip-hop.

Everything's on some "yo yo homie yo lemme move my hands all wear and mega-baggy shit like it's still the 90s" crap but that's another story entirely lol. If they don't got cornrows they got a mega-huge afro.

Yup, pretty much. That and afros. Other types of black hair are a little harder to pull off effectively without it seeming like just wavy hair.

This just reminded me of the create-a-character in older Dynasty Warriors games, you have like 5-6 tradiitional hairstyles and then an afro for no reason.

Top Bottom