• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

Cerium

LQcAms3.png

18wL0Nw.jpg

wEF7JM9.png

mYcdkXx.png

tm9fj8X.png

uX3VV1Z.png

NMFried

Y'all this is gonna be big. Been playing for a few days now and it is an absolute joy to have basically the full experience on the go. MP servers aren't up yet, so those impressions are yet to come. Achievements, touch screen menus and inventory, and an insane amount of content might make this the definitive way to play (aside from PC of course)

Side note: My podcast is giving away a copy of the game if anyone is interested. https://twitter.com/SHAssemblyLine/status/862361692008828928

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
stoked - will use the Mario textures in a regular survival world and make myself a nice house

Plum

Definitely getting this when it comes out. I love a bit of Minecraft now and then but being locked to my PS4 or Vita is frustrating.

Any word on resolution? I know it's 60fps but I've been hearing conflicting reports on what it's like docked.

Wonder how the general audience will react. It's the console mode with a console controller, but you can play it anywhere.
I've never played Minecraft outside of a demo. Don't think it's for me but I'm interested in seeing how it'll turn out. I imagine it won't have any Switch features like touch screen support like the Wii U lacked, which is a bummer.

Oh boy, here I go buying Minecraft again

get

Seriously. I finally was done with Minecraft after a few year long stints back in 2015 but now with the Switch's portability, plus the perfect storm of my nieces coming to visit us in a few weeks and they being Minecraft fiends I think I just gotta drop the $30 bones for it tomorrow.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
GameRevolution loves this version:

I've experienced Minecraft on several platforms over the years, each with its own pros and cons; while mobile might provide incredible accessibility, PC has the advantage of mod support and flexibility. Yet, no matter how much these versions have impressed me with their exclusive features, after spending a day in its new Nintendo Switch version, I might just consider it the best of the bunch.

Source: http://m.gamerevolution.com/feature...redible-portability-of-nintendo-switch-review

Fliesen

i'm kinda excited about this - i imagine playing Minecraft on the Switch to be chill as hell.

Portable minecraft (like on iOS and Android) simply controls shit. - i hope the Switch version makes use of the touch screen as well as cursor controls.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Attack of the fanboy review: http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/minecraft-nintendo-switch-edition-review/

this version of the best selling game has a few things that make it slightly worse than others, but it also has one really big reason why it might be the very best.
The big thing that separates Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from its predecessors is that we now, finally have a true mobile version of the game. Sure, there is the official Mobile Edition that exists on phones and tablets, but it is missing some key features found in the PC and console versions. The PS Vita got the full edition, but that system struggles to keep up, and has always felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity. Now the Switch is capitalizing on that opportunity, offering the true Minecraft experience in an easy to transport package.
Whether or not Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition is worth adding to your library comes down to what you want out of the game. This is simply the best portable version of Minecraft available. It runs well, the worlds are large, and the solid 60fps framerate can’t be oversold. Splitscreen on the go is fantastic, though anything beyond two players gets a bit crazy. On the TV this isn’t the best version out there, but it’s solid enough to compete with its console brethren. If you haven’t played Minecraft, or just want it in handheld form, then this should be an easy buy.

Surprisingly, the game even runs well when you have splitscreen going, allowing for the crazy situation where four people are playing on the Switch’s 6.2 inch screen.

Camjo-Z

Getting this for the Mario pack since I passed on the Wii U version. I think I'll now own Minecraft on like 6 platforms.

SFenton

where do you see that?

Y'all this is gonna be big. Been playing for a few days now and it is an absolute joy to have basically the full experience on the go. MP servers aren't up yet, so those impressions are yet to come. Achievements, touch screen controls and an insane amount of content might make this the definitive way to play (aside from PC of course)

Side note: My podcast is giving away a copy of the game if anyone is interested. https://twitter.com/SHAssemblyLine/status/862361692008828928

Should have quoted.

Okay I'll say it, I've never played Minecraft (or any Minecraft clones). Will I have any reason to like this game if I'm not at all into building worlds? Like, if I enter user worlds or the Mario worlds, what do I do there? Is there a goal? Or is it something you need to set for yourself?

Plum

Okay I'll say it, I've never played Minecraft (or any Minecraft clones). Will I have any reason to like this game if I'm not at all into building worlds? Like, if I enter user worlds or the Mario worlds, what do I do there? Is there a goal? Or is it something you need to set for yourself?

Well in Survival Mode you don't really have a very good goal (the ending's a bit shit) but your "goal" is to well, survive, thrive and eventually make your way into the other two 'dimensions'. Unless you're playing Adventure Maps on PC there's not too much in the way of guided content for the game (though I may be wrong now, it's been a while).

NoKisum

I know I'm an outsider looking in, but I've had a burning question about this edition:

This version is supposed to have a bunch of Super Mario themed areas and skins, but couldn't players on other systems just make it themselves? I remember scrolling by videos of players making stuff like Hyrule Castle, Peach's Castle, even make a giant working functional Game Boy.

molnizzle

Part of me wants to buy a second Switch that stays on 24/7 to run an unofficial "server" from my gigabit connection.

But then I'm like, that's crazy.

But then I'm like...

Cerium

I know I'm an outsider looking in, but I've had a burning question about this edition:

This version is supposed to have a bunch of Super Mario themed areas and skins, but couldn't players on other systems just make it themselves? I remember scrolling by videos of players making stuff like Hyrule Castle, Peach's Castle, even make a giant working functional Game Boy.

I covered this subject in the OP pretty extensively.

MTC100

Banned
I was never interested in Minecraft but now with the Switch at hand...

...it didn't change, not interested.

EDarkness

I wish I could provide more information, but my experience with the game has been mostly through Creative Mode. Played a little online a while back and it was mainly people running around making things together without much thought into anything else. I'll admit that I don't like Survival Mode since having to survive isn't all that fun to me, but if you like that kind of gameplay, then it's worth picking up. I do have to admit that learning the little nuances of survival was pretty interesting.

Ridley327

They can in terms of the structures themselves, but the Nintendo versions of the game have official texture packs to help make it look more authentic, on top of having skins and music tracks from the series to further sell the collaboration as the genuine article. It's not unfair to call it ultimately superficial if all you really care about are the structures, but it is as legit as one could get without Nintendo making the game themselves.

forrest

formerly nacire
This seems like a perfect fit for Switch. I've only ever tried Minecraft once briefly years ago, when it was still being updated by Notch alone. I think maybe it's time to dive in and see what all the fuss has been about.

tengiants

In survival there is the goal of killing the Ender Dragon. To do that is open ended though and requires collecting all sorts of items while exploring different crafting trees, while defending yourself against very simple but effective enemy types.

My wife and I were into it when it first came out, and we still go back to it here and there. $30 is a lot when i paid like $8 originally for the PC one if I remember, but I'm still triple dipping because it's always fun barring you have someone to build/explore a fresh world with. I suggest giving it a shot on someone else's switch maybe before taking the plunge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I *think* I'd have taken an option to trade framerate for draw distance undocked. 30fps would be ok I think. 7 chunks is yeuch.

You sound like me and I'm guessing you won't like it. But if you've never played it before you owe it to yourself to at least try a demo if you have access to a PC or other consoles where they have one.

If you're interested in a game that shares some elements of this but has a true campaign and a point in single-player, then Dragon Quest Builders is what you are looking for.

JMY86

I have never been able to get into Minecraft. I tried a couple times but I may bite on this. I would really like a reason to turn my Switch on and the Switch seems like a good fit for a game like Minecraft.

jariw

I *think* I'd have taken an option to trade framerate for draw distance undocked. 30fps would be ok I think. 7 chunks is yeuch.

30 fps is not ok IMO. Moving the view point as much (with the required accuracy) as you do in Minecraft requires a good fps experience.

Personally, I'm very happy with the solid 60 fps reports. The Wii U version didn't have a solid performance, and that was really disturbing.

7 chunks is only in portable mode. It's something like 12 in docked mode, IIRC?

Versions of Mincraft I own:

PC (original)
Windows 10 Edition
Xbox One Edition
Xbox 360 Edition
PS4 Edition
Vita Edition
Wii U Edition
Pocket Edition (iPhone)
Pocket Edition (Windows Phone)
Pocket Edition (Google Play Store)
Pocket Edition (Gear VR)

And after tomorrow:

Nintendo Switch Edition (Daughters Switch)
Nintendo Switch Edition (My Switch)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Versions of Mincraft I own:

PC (original)
Windows 10 Edition
Xbox One Edition
Xbox 360 Edition
PS4 Edition
Vita Edition
Wii U Edition
Pocket Edition (iPhone)
Pocket Edition (Windows Phone)
Pocket Edition (Google Play Store)
Pocket Edition (Gear VR)

And after tomorrow:

Nintendo Switch Edition (Daughters Switch)
Nintendo Switch Edition (My Switch)

Well I guess this explains how Minecraft has sold so many units. Have a few million folks like you out there and the numbers definitely add up.

Top Bottom