• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those Windows drivers for the Xbox One controller would be nice

Jomjom

Banned
Does the earphone jack work and the touchpad?

I don't think the earphone jack works, but the touchpad works great. I use it as my mouse all the time when I'm playing Steam games.

It's nice to not have to drop my controller and use the mouse when I'm just trying to do some little thing on the desktop. But yeah if anyone is really tired of waiting, I would just try the DS4, it's really simple to hook up.

Aiden1113

Neo Member
Yup. I have a feeling we are going to be waiting another 6-12 months for those official drivers.

The Microsoft PC attitude is disgusting considering the Games for Windows LIVE problem that happened, and the idea that they aren't going to port any of their popular first party games. Still waiting for some Halo 3.

It's amazing that every console company isn't clamoring to make their own official drivers. Isn't the margin on controllers huge? It seems like a license to print money.

I remember buying a '360 controller for Windows' months before the 360 even came out, and it's still amazing to this day.

I may not own or plan on owning an Xbox One, but my next PC controller will almost absolutely be an Xbox One controller if it works as well as the 360 pad.

I think somewhere in Microsoft, they must believe that withholding the drivers will make people want to buy an Xbox One so they can play new games on the Xbox One controller.

LiK

I think somewhere in Microsoft, they must believe that withholding the drivers will make people want to buy an Xbox One so they can play new games on the Xbox One controller.

i think this too. but there's already been sales and discounts for the One controllers. they're so dumb.

aeolist

Banned
honestly though i wouldn't buy one anyway. tried a couple demo stations and the sticks feel completely awful, having a d-pad that isn't absurdly shitty can't come close to making up for it.

Anon67

honestly though i wouldn't buy one anyway. tried a couple demo stations and the sticks feel completely awful, having a d-pad that isn't absurdly shitty can't come close to making up for it.

Good for you. I'm looking forward to using the controller on PC soon. Totally digging the sticks.

Jesb

I don't think the earphone jack works, but the touchpad works great. I use it as my mouse all the time when I'm playing Steam games.

It's nice to not have to drop my controller and use the mouse when I'm just trying to do some little thing on the desktop. But yeah if anyone is really tired of waiting, I would just try the DS4, it's really simple to hook up.

I wish I could get mine to work. I can pair it and I can control steam in the menu. But when I launch any game none of the buttons work. This is for any game. It's odd because everything works in the menu of steam.

Banned

The sticks are tight. The Dpad works (I wish it stuck out more like Nintendo's do but I can't complain, it's 100% better then the 360 dpad)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

As ridiculous as this sounds there's probably an element of truth to it. Microsoft never made the PC versions of Gears of War and Viva Pinata available digitally outside of the GFWL Marketplace for much the same reason*:"If we restrict it, people will come!"

* This may very well change now that the GFWL Marketplace is dead and GFWL itself not far from being put down.

Chettlar

Banned

I really dislike how small they are, but they feel great, I think.

Wish MS would make a version with slightly bigger sticks.

As ridiculous as this sounds there's probably an element of truth to it. Microsoft never made the PC versions of Gears of War and Viva Pinata available digitally outside of the GFWL Marketplace for much the same reason*:"If we restrict it, people will come!"

* This may very well change now that the GFWL Marketplace is dead and GFWL itself not far from being put down.

Still waiting for those :(

Hopefully the entire GoW trilogy hits rather than just one game but who am I kidding.

EvB

You PC people can wait, leave those engineers working on actual software for the machine I've bought.

Tuesday for Watch Dogs soon I hope

image.php

Jesb

is it? I mean Microsoft has their hands full trying to save the bone, PC drivers are probably the last thing on the list.

Microsoft is in the business of making money. They'll see a significant increase in controller sales, well worth the time it takes to do these drivers. It's not like they need to have their best engineers on this or that a lot of resources will be put into it.

Just picked up a bone and first impression of the controller is that the L1 and R1 buttons are awful. Anyone waiting on drivers to pick up a controller (like OP) should just get a DS4 and be done with it, IMO.

Just picked up a bone and first impression of the controller is that the L1 and R1 buttons are awful. Anyone waiting on drivers to pick up a controller (like OP) should just get a DS4 and be done with it, IMO.

The bumpers are shitty but those triggers are too good. And also, the grooves on the sticks are beautiful.

Haunted

If you could guarantee that Square/Triangle/Circle/Cross button prompts would appear in 90%+ of PC games with controller support like I can expect with ABXY button prompts, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Jesb

I always see recommendations for the ds4 but it's compatability isn't working for everyone. I tried it myself and I can pair the device fine, I can control the steam menu, but any game I launch is unresponsive with the controller.

Grief.exe

The bumpers are shitty but those triggers are too good. And also, the grooves on the sticks are beautiful.

I might pick up the sticks from ebay just to add them to the DS4, they look that good.

I always see recommendations for the ds4 but it's compatability isn't working for everyone. I tried it myself and I can pair the device fine, I can control the steam menu, but any game I launch is unresponsive with the controller.

What software are you using?

lol that's the general consensus bud, and that doesn't help with anything.

No controller is perfect and has flaws, Xbox one's controller big pros are the triggers and the analog stick grips which are amazing. Better than DS4's IMO.

Duxxy3

Microsoft actually has a very interesting culture seeded in competition. I don't have any articles linked, but it is very interesting reading about the internal strife between divisions.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case with the new guy.

Jesb

I might pick up the sticks from ebay just to add them to the DS4, they look that good.

What software are you using?

Nothing, I looked at that thread on gaf about using a DS4 and I only read that you needed to pair the device, don't recall anyone saying to download anything more. I guess I've been doing it wrong? Steam works when I use the controller, but no games do.

Grief.exe

Nothing, I looked at that thread on gaf about using a DS4 and I only read that you needed to pair the device, don't recall anyone saying to download anything more. I guess I've been doing it wrong? Steam works when I use the controller, but no games do.

ibtQ6ihSimbCK6.gif

What you are currently doing is connecting a Direct Input controller with no official drivers to your PC. Direct Input is an old standard that doesn't have much support with current games.

You need an Xinput wrapper that forces the PC to accept the DS4 as a 360 controller. I just played through 100 hours of Dark Souls II with no issues.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver

Kuni

It is weird that it's taken so long... However I get the impression the Xbox team is working full out on making the bone the best they can (e.g. those monthly patches).

It's not as easy as I like but I have my DS4 working on my PC with no issue thanks to the third party drivers. Can't get it to play nice wireless though...

Pathos

Banned
The XBO LB and RB bumpers are much better than the 360 ones. The transition as you move from the triggers to the bumpers is much better because of how fast and easily they click. Sticking seems non-existent also, which is something that plagued the 360 bumpers.

Top Bottom