• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

not that mind blowing i guess, but i just realized that dark souls and darksiders use the same font. i only noticed because a local game store had them both right beside each other

0bd5f53f-948d-41d4-b101-d76dd4288ad1_1.603b9328e08c9869b4a791548eeb60c8.jpeg
latest

ss_lemonade

Probably a known fact, but I just realized that Link's facial expression changes (furrowed eyebrows) when Z targeting in Twilight Princess.

Drain You

This isn't something that will blow your mind, but the loading screen song for Breathe of the Wild seems very similar to the loading song for Lost Kingdoms, I'm sorry I can't find it, I've been looking.

Andyliini

In the original The Legend of Zelda, Princess Zelda's dress color depends on the color of Link's tunic. If you have red ring, her dress is red, if you have no ring her dress is green etc.

I just learned this. I have never beaten the game without red ring. :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In the original The Legend of Zelda, Princess Zelda's dress color depends on the color of Link's tunic. If you have red ring, her dress is red, if you have no ring her dress is green etc.

I just learned this. I have never beaten the game without red ring. :(
A palette limitation obviously. I've never seen her in a green dress probably because I've never seen anyone finish the game with the green tunic.

Myriadis

Small one: There's a little hidden room behind the lava waterfall in Dodongos Cavern.
dhP57Gf.gif

I thought that I had discovered everything in OoT, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

PSqueak

Banned
Just musing, this thread approaches it's 10th birthday (well, i mean, next january, but come on, A WHOLE DECADE!!), i kinda feel something special should be done.

StayDead

Small one: There's a little hidden room behind the lava waterfall in Dodongos Cavern.
dhP57Gf.gif

I thought that I had discovered everything in OoT, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

There's a heart in there to probably help you heal up after the encounter.

Why would anyone jump through a lava waterfall though o_O

Tizoc

So the other day I learned something that totally blew my mind.
SNK made a fighting game called Savage Reign/Fuun in 1995, and later a sequel called Kizuna Encounter/Fuun Super Tag Battle.

The first game is a fighter set in the future with the main gimmick being using the background for fights and each character having a weapon.
It wasn't THAT good a game but kudos for trying.
The main antagonist/boss of that game is this guy-

Shishioh. In the first game he is playable, much like various other fighters of the time.

He is also playable in the 2nd game although the default color pallete is blue

When fought as a boss, he is refered to as 'Shin Shishioh'. One of the meanings of the word 'Shin', in Japanese, is Real or True.

For the longest time, I simply assumed it meant that the boss version was him fighting with his full strength and never gave it any thought.
Well lately I was listening to Neo Geo Battle Coliseum's OST, and remembered really liking Shishioh in that game.
I go to read up on him over at the SNK wiki and...
there are TWO Shishiohs: The normal playable Shishioh (blue) and the boss Shin Shishioh (red) are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.
Shin merely trained the other guy (blue) to be his stand in and see if one would be worthy of fighting him or something. Mind you the stand in plans on usurping and taking him down.

I normally take in FG lore 'for fun' but this is the very first time I am legit shook by such an FG plot detail.
It's so simple a thing yet...unexpected.
This is even further implored by the character(s) being in NGBC, as they both have separate artwork for them-
Shishioh NGBC art said:
Shin Shishioh NGBC art said:

Goodman, Neo Dio and Mizuchi/Orochi each ahve only 1 artwork for them, but Shishioh has 2 to show that the two characters are separate. Heck I'm still contemplating refering to blue as 'Nise Shishioh' (Nise meaning fake in Japanese IIRC)

Oh and Shin is from the USA and Nise in is from Canada-
http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/King_Leo
http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/King_Lion

Also is it me or does he look like a swole Nicholas Cage?

GooeyHeat

This is more of a "small detail I probably should've noticed in the ~15 years it's been since I first played this game" but I'm putting it here because maybe somebody else didn't notice it either so I won't look so blind.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles has unique logos for almost every Zone. Behind the Act number there is a silhouette that changes depending on which Zone you're in:
Angel Island: palm tree
Hydrocity: splash of water
Marble Garden: potted bush
Carnival Night: balloon
Ice Cap: snowflake
Launch Base: support column
Mushroom Hill: mushrooms
Flying Battery: animal capsule
Sandopolis: pyramid
Lava Reef: flame
Death Egg: some sort of "EGG" logo
Hidden Palace, Sky Sanctuary, and Doomsday lack them because those zones only have a single Act and therefore no number to show which Act you're on.

EDIT: Scratch that, apparently it's only in the Sonic 3 Complete hack that gives you some nice options to make the whole S3K experience feel a little more complete. Nice touch to those guys, then.

Zubz

Banned
This is more of a "small detail I probably should've noticed in the ~15 years it's been since I first played this game" but I'm putting it here because maybe somebody else didn't notice it either so I won't look so blind.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles has unique logos for almost every Zone. Behind the Act number there is a silhouette that changes depending on which Zone you're in:
Angel Island: palm tree
Hydrocity: splash of water
Marble Garden: potted bush
Carnival Night: balloon
Ice Cap: snowflake
Launch Base: support column
Mushroom Hill: mushrooms
Flying Battery: animal capsule
Sandopolis: pyramid
Lava Reef: flame
Death Egg: some sort of "EGG" logo
Hidden Palace, Sky Sanctuary, and Doomsday lack them because those zones only have a single Act and therefore no number to show which Act you're on.

Can you provide a picture? It looks like they all have palm trees.

GooeyHeat

Can you provide a picture? It looks like they all have palm trees.
I just had a thought and checked; it's only in the fan-made "Sonic 3 Complete" hack that lets you do some tweaks to make the experience a little more cohesive.

What a weird little thing to add.

MikeOShay

Neo Member
I just had a thought and checked; it's only in the fan-made "Sonic 3 Complete" hack that lets you do some tweaks to make the experience a little more cohesive.

What a weird little thing to add.

To play the complete version of Sonic 3 on console, plug 2 "& Knuckles" cartridges together, and then put the Sonic 3 cart on the bottom.

In Final Fantasy IV, Tellah's physical stats (save for his HP) actually decrease when he levels up, implying his age is catching up with him, preventing him from gaining strength.

Platy

The arcade intro to Turtles in Time is the only other Ninja turtles incarnation to reference (or even acknowledge) the musical tour by the use of one of it's tracks : Pizza Power

The box art of Sonic CD on the Mega CD in Japan looks like this:

50164_front.jpg

...While the box art of the game on the Sega CD in the US looks like this:

50167_front.jpg

I want to bring your attention to Metal Sonic's right leg on both covers.

See what happened?

The artist for the US box art interpreted the yellow lighting reflected on Metal Sonic's left leg as random gold joints on that one leg.

They also made the white accents on his shoes(?) black on the front because of the same lighting made them grey/black on the Japanese art.

The artist for the US box art interpreted the yellow lighting reflected on Metal Sonic's left leg as random gold joints on that one leg.

They also made the white accents on his shoes(?) black on the front because of the same lighting made them grey/black on the Japanese art.

I suppose. He might've been going for lighting, too, and just not doing a very good job of determining what the jet pack blast should reflect on.

I find it more disturbing that the Japanese Metal Sonic's legs appear to be impossible, or some sort of optical illusion. His right leg appears to be connected underneath his body to the left of his left leg.

I suppose. He might've been going for lighting, too, and just not doing a very good job of determining what the jet pack blast should reflect on.

I find it more disturbing that the Japanese Metal Sonic's legs appear to be impossible, or some sort of optical illusion. His right leg appears to be connected underneath his body to the left of his left leg.

Yup... It should be like this

QAgIpdd.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sure everyone knew this already, but Girls Just Want to Have Fun is in Bioshock Infinite at the Beach.
Picked it up the moment I first played that part. Of course you know lots of retro versions of modern songs are in the game. My mind always goes to the Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World cover late in the game.

This is a really minor one, but in the same vein as Diddy's Kong Quest = Diddy's Conquest, I just realized that Dragon's Lair = Dragon Slayer.

Wtf

Pretty sure they meant that to be subliminal. They came out only what, like 2 years after the movie?

They even use a variation of the same font for the title logo:

(I used the DW2 poster because it is colored in closer to the original's)

Munti

This thread has so many great things!

I found this on reddit:
Not mind-blowing and very minor, but probably not many know about it (FF XV ENDING SPOILER!):
There's a slightly different ending cutscene where Luna looks longer on the pic and sheds a tear (https://youtu.be/qqB4d2eLHpE).
I don't know what triggers it. The chosen pic, Nocts responses, something else?

Top Bottom