• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key to Battlezone is weapons and tactics.

I'd recommend a medium sized map to get more data. You need better weapons.

The initial aim isn't to win its to unlock better weapons, so always try to hack weapon factories when you find them

Don't upgrade armour until you have the weapons you need.

Best weapons are single lock-on, multi-lockon, laser guided missiles: honourable mentions for mavchine guns, mag auto gun (Hacker Tank) and Split Shell cannon.

Every campaign should unlock more weapons and you should be learning tactics.

Nemesis tanks, find an object that you can circle and circle dodge firing after he's discharged.

Try the Light Tank if you haven't already, you can successgfully circle strafe enemies.

If you lose a life close the application and start again (if you don't mind the cheat)

And BZ is awesome and deep, still play it now.

Bsttlezone is amazing.

So much replayability.

bumpkin

The key to Battlezone is weapons and tactics.

I'd recommend a medium sized map to get more data. You need better weapons.

The initial aim isn't to win its to unlock better weapons, so always try to hack weapon factories when you find them

Don't upgrade armour until you have the weapons you need.

Best weapons are single lock-on, multi-lockon, laser guided missiles: honourable mentions for mavchine guns, mag auto gun (Hacker Tank) and Split Shell cannon.

Every campaign should unlock more weapons and you should be learning tactics.

Nemesis tanks, find an object that you can circle and circle dodge firing after he's discharged.

Try the Light Tank if you haven't already, you can successgfully circle strafe enemies.

If you lose a life close the application and start again (if you don't mind the cheat)

And BZ is awesome and deep, still play it now.
I think I was doing most of this, TBH. I got to the final area once and just when I thought I had won, a bunch of new enemies spawned and I got utterly decimated. I haven't touched the game since, I was pretty pissed.

I really wish Sony would fix the bug (well, I think it's a bug) where the breakout box stays on when the PS4 is downloading stuff in rest mode. Kind of annoying and probably puts undue wear and tear on it.

gmoran

I think I was doing most of this, TBH. I got to the final area once and just when I thought I had won, a bunch of new enemies spawned and I got utterly decimated. I haven't touched the game since, I was pretty pissed.

Oh yes, had that happen a number of times, turned the PS4 off and vowed never to play the game again.

On Easy and Medium at least, the AI core is really easy: if you are at the right level and have taken down all of the shield generators and aren't facing a nemesis:

I think you need high-level Single Lock-on (higher than level 6), and then either a high-level Multi-lock-on and/or high-level laser-guided. And Ideally you want some of your weapons to be top level (above level 10). For the special equipment I only bother with shield boost, get it as high as you can, and upgrade your front and side shields as much as your data allows, and add some up the rear if you have spare data.

After that its just tactics: mop up enemies; hack the tower; blast the shield and targets: rinse and repeat except if turrets appear take them down ASAP.

I prefer light tanks because I think the ability to dodge fire is more important than the ability to absorb fire. Played properly with the Aggro tank last night and it see,med obvious to me that—for me at least—that trade-off was working against me.

I rarely lose a single life now on the AI core, and I'm no hot-shot FPS or shooter player.

Finally, there have been a number of updates that have basically smoothed off all of the irritants: health shield cells; nemesis no longer such a bullet sponge; and Beginner is easy and I think counts towards weapon unlocks (played it for first time last night)

bumpkin

UploadVR had a good preview of the Ghostbusters experience.

No so Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-22-watch-ghostbusters-vr-now-hiring-ruined-my-childhood
I bought it and played it. It's very hand-holdy, almost guided to an extent. The entire time you have the white ghost (I already forgot his name) nagging you to do something specific to advance the game. If you do what it tells you to do, you can seriously finish it in five minutes. If you take some time to monkey with what little you can interact with, you can milk 10-15 minutes out of it.

Atmospherically, it's great. The inside of the firehouse is cool as fuck, though it's kind of dark which makes it hard to appreciate the detail they put in (or maybe the dark hides a lack of). You can only interact with a small subset of things in the environment, so the usual "If it's not nailed down, you can pick it up" that we've gotten in other VR games like I Expect You To Die is not true here. This is especially disappointing in the lab area in the back; gadgets everywhere, and all you can interact with is the proton pack you need to assemble.

Graphically, it looks good-ish, certainly better than the "PS2 era graphics" someone pointed out from a YouTube video of the Google Cardboard version of the experience. The inside of the firehouse looks alive. Things are detailed enough, and they threw in a lot of neat touches like one of Kevin's glossies (him shirtless holding a saxophone) and the mansion from the all-female reboot on the receptionist's computer screen. When you're up close with Slimer, he looks pretty cool/gross.

The gameplay is scant in the sense that you spend most of the experience teleporting around to do whatever objective the ghost tells you to do. The brief moment you have with the proton pack and trap are cool. It was really satisfying gripping the proton pack with two hands (the game *requires* two PS Move controllers) and wrangling a ghost towards the open trap. I'm hoping that subsequent chapters (it says a new chapter is "Coming Soon") lets you do more ghost busting.

Whether or not it's worth the $7 depends on how big of a Ghostbusters fan you are. I loved the old movies and did actually enjoy the reboot from last year, but still feel like it's priced a bit high. You can get more gameplay out of something like "Oh my Genesis" for half of the price. I hope the subsequent chapters will just be free add-ons, but something tells me they won't be. I'll definitely be a bit more discerning with those purchases now that I know what to expect.

NateDrake

That's definitely one that's on my radar now. I'm loving the setting and art style. Any idea on launch price? I just read an article stating it would be £6.99, at that price it looks a steal.

...also after watching that I badly want Skyrim VR.

Should get official pricing details either by the end of the week or early next week. Not sure what the game was priced at for PC release, but that could give a good idea of what to expect.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I bought it and played it. It's very hand-holdy, almost guided to an extent. The entire time you have the white ghost (I already forgot his name) nagging you to do something specific to advance the game. If you do what it tells you to do, you can seriously finish it in five minutes. If you take some time to monkey with what little you can interact with, you can milk 10-15 minutes out of it.

Atmospherically, it's great. The inside of the firehouse is cool as fuck, though it's kind of dark which makes it hard to appreciate the detail they put in (or maybe the dark hides a lack of). You can only interact with a small subset of things in the environment, so the usual "If you it's not nailed down, you can pick it up" that we've gotten in other VR games like I Expect You To Die is not true here. This is especially disappointing in the lab area in the back; gadgets everywhere, and all you can interact with is the proton pack you need to assemble.

Graphically, it looks good-ish, certainly better than the "PS2 era graphics" someone pointed out from a YouTube video of the Google Cardboard version of the experience. The inside of the firehouse looks alive. Things are detailed enough, and they threw in a lot of neat touches like one of Kevin's glossies (him shirtless holding a saxophone) and the mansion from the all-female reboot on the receptionist's computer screen. When you're up close with Slimer, he looks pretty cool/gross.

The gameplay is scant in the sense that you spend most of the experience teleporting around to do whatever objective the ghost tells you to do. The brief moment you have with the proton pack and trap are cool. It was really satisfying gripping the proton pack with two hands (the game *requires* two PS Move controllers) and wrangling a ghost towards the open trap. I'm hoping that subsequent chapters (it says a new chapter is "Coming Soon") lets you do more ghost busting.

Whether or not it's worth the $7 depends on how big of a Ghostbusters fan you are. I loved the old movies and did actually enjoy the reboot from last year, but still feel like it's priced a bit high. You can get more gameplay out of something like "Oh my Genesis" for half of the price. I hope the subsequent chapters will just be free add-ons, but something tells me they won't be. I'll definitely be a bit more discerning with those purchases now that I know what to expect.

This sounds a little fun actually.

Joystick

Three new PS VR games revealed in the China Hero Project (Sony funding/supporting Chinese developers).

Note: Google translate fun ahead.

The Walker

As long as the play "Walker" VR version of the experience version, how much it will be its excellent visual performance, as well as a wealth of game content moved. This kind of heterogeneous VR game is obviously a group of well versed in the host game developers fiddle out, not just rely solely on the experience of VR equipment, the game more mixed with the developers of the unique understanding of Chinese culture, and Game content, level design on the care and thought.

"Walker" will debut PlayStation®4 in 2017 and support PlayStation®VR devices. The company also plans to bring new game content to PlayStation®VR, which is worth looking forward to.

https://youtu.be/iigLUBwubWg
https://www.playstation.com.cn/chinaheroproject/hero_page2.html

The X Animal

create a "human rescue plan" (The X Animal), both to play the characteristics of VR (based on 3D space Snake and Tower Defense), but also has a global popular LOWPOLY art style and excellent role set, gains a lot of domestic and foreign awards, Now the game will come to PlayStation®VR, so that more PlayStation® users experience its charm.

The "Human Rescue Plan" incorporates a single model, as well as local multiplayer, online multiplayer models, with both happy themes and interesting background stories, which are the most rare works for all ages.

https://youtu.be/0A5qrCl4BFQ
https://www.playstation.com.cn/chinaheroproject/hero_page4.html

Pervader VR

"Diffuse" will be a PlayStation®VR game with Unreal Engine 4, players will play a different role, from different angles to experience an immersive crisis. Despite the fact that developers are ahead of the way, developers have not forgotten the original intention of Chinese-made, they add the right place in the appropriate Chinese elements, so that the game looks complicated with freshness and intimacy.

"Diffuse" in the content of the rhythm and manner of the launch may be different from the current other PlayStation®VR works the biggest difference. But for the already used to challenge the Park shore, this may be the best way to express themselves. In any case, "diffuse" will be in the near future, bring players more surprises.

https://youtu.be/R0K-EkYyHhg
https://www.playstation.com.cn/chinaheroproject/hero_page8.html

The full China Hero Project video showcasing other developers and their games is here:
https://youtu.be/3ip-lJg52Ro

So, the VR seasonpass owner upgrade for Driveclub VR is discounted in EU PS store (10£ UK), will I need to insert the original DC disc to play it, or will it be stand-alone?

Glix

Just a heads up to all my NYC PSVR people. Videogames NY has official Sony refurb PS Moves (most likely never used taken out of ps3 games that came bundled with it that never sold) for $20 a pop.

Great value.

Adree

If you make a chinese (not Hong Kong) PSN account you can get demos of Ancient Amuletor and The X Animal now. Both are tower defense games of a sort.

Both have move support.

FATED: The Silent Oath is coming on PSVR 28th March

Its a rather short narrative-driven adventure game that last roughly an hour to one and half hour, so don't expect much

Nice. This is a game I have been wanting to check out.

Has anyone played Mervils: A VR Adventure? The animations and art style look shit and that is often a big turn off for me but if it is actually decent besides that i will give it a go.

Just used a 20% off PSN code to get a stack of VR titles, including Trackmania for about $12 on it's current discounted priced. Tired of waiting for overpriced PSVR titles to go on sale like me? Well, here's your chance! Check your email for the code. People are also sharing spare codes in the thread on the main page.

Shoeless

I upgraded to a pro last night. The difference in vr is amazing!

Welcome to the Pro/VR family. It's a sweet place to be.

Having said that, I still haven't played RE7. Got overwhelmed too many traditional games like Horizon, Nier, Mass Effect and now Persona 5 in a couple of weeks. But I'll be back.

GeeTeeCee

I bought Tumble VR in the EU sale, and my biggest takeaway from the game so far is that waving around the virtual Move controller with the blue stream of light is proof enough that Sony need to convince EA to create a lightsaber VR experience in the next Battlefront or Visceral's Star Wars game.

I want my lightsaber combat game dammit.

...Tumble is pretty good too.

McCHitman

Banned
I upgraded to a pro last night. The difference in vr is amazing!

Is it really? Uggh, this makes me want one. What's different?

I don't have a 4K or HDR TV so I haven't wanted to jump yet. And I've heard that running the games scaled up to 4K on and 1080p screen isn't as good as native.

Can you tell me the difference in the VR with the pro? I would really like to see it :(

Is it really? Uggh, this makes me want one. What's different?

I don't have a 4K or HDR TV so I haven't wanted to jump yet. And I've heard that running the games scaled up to 4K on and 1080p screen isn't as good as native.

Can you tell me the difference in the VR with the pro? I would really like to see it :(

Visual clarity and tracking are the biggest improvements. Many games on the base ps4 run at a lower res than the native display or will opt to have a fluctuating resolution to maintain high and stable FPS, most pro games are native or supersampled. In regards to tracking I don't know if it is a placebo or not but I think it feels much smoother. You also get the benefit of extra details the pro improved games have. At first I didn't think the difference was that big but going backwards after you have got use to the pro as standard feels quite significant however I wouldn't say the pro is a necessity but if you can get a good deal on one and are interested in VR long term then it is worth it.

I don't have a 4k tv and besides the frame rate on a few games (non-VR) either due to boost mode or pro patched the difference is rarely noticeable unless you get really anal in the vast majority of cases.

Planet

There is absolutely no evidence of better tracking on the Pro. The graphics are better in most games, sometimes dramatically so, but not in every one. Still, if you want better VR, the Pro has you covered.

The problem is, unlike the Slim, the Pro hardly gets attractive bundle offers. That makes the price difference which is on paper basically just €50 more like €200, thus hard to swallow. I'd have expected street price drops long ago, but they are probably far off still.

bumpkin

Anybody who did the survey for Ubisoft I just got the code for Werewolves Within. Check your emails.
Speaking of which, I've been thinking about selling my copy of Werewolves Within. I have played it maybe twice for a half hour or so since I got it. I just don't play a lot of online multiplayer stuff and though unique, the experience didn't suck me in.

If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM with your price. I think it's 30 bucks new and 25 used at GS.

McCHitman

Banned
As much as I love my PSVR, I do love me a bit of hacking around.

So, got it plugged into the PC via Trinus. Have a GTX 980, so have had to use moonlight to control the pc remotely via a laptop. Dug out the old razer hydras that I got when doing some early dev with Oculus DK1, they work a treat. Just need to plug in a webcam for head tracking, then I got myself a ghetto Vive as well! Alright, no room scale but I'm not that bothered about that atm.

Neat :)

I just built a PC with a 1070 in it. I should be good for trying this then?
How difficult is it, and what else will I need besides the headset to get going?

Polybius? The Urban legend game? Is this really what they are making? I can't see the video.

Visual clarity and tracking are the biggest improvements. Many games on the base ps4 run at a lower res than the native display or will opt to have a fluctuating resolution to maintain high and stable FPS, most pro games are native or supersampled. In regards to tracking I don't know if it is a placebo or not but I think it feels much smoother. You also get the benefit of extra details the pro improved games have. At first I didn't think the difference was that big but going backwards after you have got use to the pro as standard feels quite significant however I wouldn't say the pro is a necessity but if you can get a good deal on one and are interested in VR long term then it is worth it.

I don't have a 4k tv and besides the frame rate on a few games (non-VR) either due to boost mode or pro patched the difference is rarely noticeable unless you get really anal in the vast majority of cases.

Ugghhhh. I currently have 2 PS4's, I wonder if it's worth it to trade one in and upgrade the VR one to a Pro. Would you?

k1t4j

Hello guys, I'm thinking of grabbing a psvr sometime this week. Do you have have any recommendations for games? To be honest the only want I really am dying to try is that EVE one and I already have Resident evil.

Anything else I should grab day one and be amazed?

Hello guys, I'm thinking of grabbing a psvr sometime this week. Do you have have any recommendations for games? To be honest the only want I really am dying to try is that EVE one and I already have Resident evil.

Anything else I should grab day one and be amazed?

Games that I have loved, are Driveclub VR, Werewolves Within, Dirt Rally, Playroom, Batman VR, Battlezone and RIGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom