• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 51, 2013

liger05

So the Vita & Wii U bundles and retailer deals that keep popping up are having very little impact. Wii Fit U bombed which doesnt surprise anyone other than Nintendo.

Kickz

CTRL + F "Mario"
CTRL + F "Knack"

ohhh

CTRL + F "Tearaway" :(

rZZ2ekB.gif

liger05

Everyone knows the first holiday after launch doesn't count. Wii U is just hitting its stride

Reminds me of this quote this time last year from PlayStation UK MD Fergal Gara on the Vita.

"But the great news is that we have got the content in place. We have got the cash to invest in terms of marketing and retail to really ignite it this Christmas. To start judging a console before it has had its first Christmas is preposterous, really. And we are giving it everything we have got."

How is that working out for ya Fergal.

EA will never stop making FIFA and they will never put a real effort on it, will they?

*sigh*

well they did put effort into FIFA the last gen mainly because PES was gaining a reputation to be better than FIFA in the PS2 days... now PES kinda fall flat so FIFA is once again dominant so..
Reminds me of this quote this time last year from PlayStation UK MD Fergal Gara on the Vita.

he must be thrilled due to PS4 sales

i doubt he cares about Vita anymore (aside of being an expensive peripheral to PS4- which is a shame btw since vita has the better library.).

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
This post is going to look real dumb once the other Euro charts are edited in.

Will it? Here is my take on this all, at this point GT6 selling 3 million on PS4 would be more valuable for Sony then it selling 6 million on PS3. The main porpose of first party titles is to drive the sales of the consoles itself. In that regard the PS3 doesn't need GT6. Oh well maybe I am dumb, but thats the way I look at it.

Everyone knows the first holiday after launch doesn't count. Wii U is just hitting its stride

I think you're being sarcastic, but if not it is the second Christmas for the Wii U. It's utterly dead here in the UK. Probably in most of Europe. I don't know why, but we just don't care for the console at all. I don't think Mario Kart, Smash or any of the more 'cult' level games like Bayonetta or X will bring it off life support.

I find it remarkable that it sells so well on the wii which is a dead platform.

Well, everyone owns a Wii, so they probably break the console out for a few weeks at the end of each year to play Just Dance before putting it back in the cupboard for eleven months.

Will it? Here is my take on this all, at this point GT6 selling 3 million on PS4 would be more valuable for Sony then it selling 6 million on PS3. The main porpose of first party titles is to drive the sales of the consoles itself. In that regard the PS3 doesn't need GT6. Oh well maybe I am dumb, but thats the way I look at it.

They're selling all the PS4s they can make at the moment, GT6 would have just been overkill. Better off launching the next iteration when the stock is plentiful and sales are slowing. Or as a potential boost for next next Christmas if they can get it ready in time.

The Killzone bundle must be selling very well.

I wonder what the PS4's Ltd sales are in the UK

It's anyones guess right now. It's certainly over 300k after 2 weeks, just depends how much Sony have struggled on getting out since. But we could be looking 350k-400k. Certainly under half a mill. Harder to guess again for the XBone. Should be over 200k. The week prior to this one there seemed a nice improvement in software sales, though it's availability is much higher than the PS4's yet bundles games software isn't doing as well as the PS4's non bundled games (Fifa/CoD).

There's 3 WiiU games in the All Formats charts (all 3 Mario's). Xmas saved for Nintendo!!

Troubling though that the Mario bundles are only entering at the very bottom of the chart still, so it's hardly flying out.

SmokyDave

Looking at the top 10 for the 3DS and Wii U makes it obvious why Dark Souls guy was laughing. The only 3rd party games in either chart are 'Sports Connection' and 'LEGO Marvel Super Heroes'.

Zachi

Banned
so every single multiplatform game is selling better on PS4, and Guardian is too chicken shit to publish the split

Just Dance not even in the Top 10 WiiU games chart (yet is on XBone (so will be selling better)). I wonder if Ubi would dare not release a Wii SKU next year with the help of Nintendo to try and migrate that fanbase over to the WiiU. It seems highly unlikely though as the Wii version sells the lion share on anything. But I guess Just Dance fans aren't in any hurry to pack away the Wii and buy a WiiU just for the same experience.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there supposed to be something wrong with that Gara quote? Besides him (in hindsight) exaggerating how much Sony was prepared to invest in Vita marketing last year, the idea that it's dumb to write off a platform before it's even seen one holiday season isn't exactly controversial.

If it makes it to it's second Christmas while still doing shit though...

Calabi

lol GT6.... bu bu but PS3 means more sales. The game is getting it's ass kicked by frickin Killzone!

Sony dont need Gran Turismo at the PS4s launch in fact it would be a waste. Their selling out of consoles with average some say crap games compared to the competition. If they had released in with the console it would have overshadowed the other titles.

The need Gran Turismo in the lull in a year or two's time when the hype has died down.

Looking at the top 10 for the 3DS and Wii U makes it obvious why Dark Souls guy was laughing. The only 3rd party games in either chart are 'Sports Connection' and 'LEGO Marvel Super Heroes'.

He was laughing at a perceived demographic mismatch (and possibly the fact that the WiiU sales are pathetic worldwide, of course). That's toxic for third party support, even for Japanese developers. The 3DS' problems are entirely different. Lack of western support: Nintendo is the only major publisher carrying the system outside of Japan so of course only their titles would chart. This obviously isn't the case in Japan.

SmokyDave

He was laughing at a perceived demographic mismatch (and possibly the fact that the WiiU sales are pathetic worldwide, of course). That's toxic for third party support, even for Japanese developers. The 3DS' problems are entirely different. Lack of western support: Nintendo is the only major publisher carrying the system outside of Japan so of course only their titles would chart. This obviously isn't the case in Japan.
I know he was laughing at the demographic mismatch, that's what struck me when I looked at the Wii U chart. No AC4, no CoD. Room for Sports Connection though.

liger05

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there supposed to be something wrong with that Gara quote? Besides him (in hindsight) exaggerating how much Sony was prepared to invest in Vita marketing last year, the idea that it's dumb to write off a platform before it's even seen one holiday season isn't exactly controversial.

If it makes it to it's second Christmas while still doing shit though...

It was more down to the fact that sales were poor over over the course of the year leading up to the holidays so the chances of some turnaround due to holiday season was slim as was shown.

Sony dont need Gran Turismo at the PS4s launch in fact it would be a waste. Their selling out of consoles with average some say crap games compared to the competition. If they had released in with the console it would have overshadowed the other titles.

The need Gran Turismo in the lull in a year or two's time when the hype has died down.

GT6 will be 're-released' annually anyway. Next year there'll be a GT6 XXL, and the year after that there'll be a GT6 XXL "2015 Edition."

I know he was laughing at the demographic mismatch, that's what struck me when I looked at the Wii U chart. No AC4, no CoD. Room for Sports Connection though.
Well yeah, it will continue to look that way until Nintendo makes a conscious effort to present their system in a more appealing way to that demographic. As for the 3DS, that demographic only briefly appeared during the early half of the PSP's life. I don't think it's worth the bother there, which I guess would partially explain the lack of support.

I'm sure that reasonable Nintendo fans understand why 3rd parties have no interest in bringing their games over, and if they don't we can always show them the pathetic hardware and software sales.

It was the laughter that rustled their jimmies, can't have that. So in retaliation they will now buy it on steam sale as opposed to full price on Wii U.

Racer1977

PS4 doing really well there. 8 SKUs, 2 in the top 10.

6 SKUs for XBO too.

To be honest, I'm surprised PS4 is doing as well as it is as I thought stock was more limited. XB1 was in plentiful stock for the end of last week at PC World, Tesco, GAME etc. I didn't realise any PS4 stock had come in, haven't seen one for sale anywhere - but clearly they are doing.
Lots of stock coming to UK, but selling out very quickly.

Racer1977

lol GT6.... bu bu but PS3 means more sales. The game is getting it's ass kicked by frickin Killzone!
Must be slight panic at Sony HQ, theGT6 launch has been a total flop. Absolutely confident to say it would sell 2x-3x as much on PS4. Imperative it comes to PS4 as soon as possible, for GT series sake.

Top Bottom