• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
It's a big deal that Jontron is a white supremacist and he voices a character in the game. End of. Whether or not the role is tiny or big, whether he speaks in english or gibberish. If you're ok with a white supremacist being a voice in your game, just say it. White supremacy isn't a differing political opinion either, it's hate speech. Just like you wouldn't have a hate speech spewing radical Islamic cleric voice a character in something no matter if he is grunting gibberish.

If the character or game are preaching hate speech or if jon tron had been hired to do the cameo voice AFTER he revealed himself as a piece of shit bigot, i would totally ask his participation to be removed, but come on people, put in some context in the events, Jon Tron's contribution to the game is yelling nonsense like "eekum bokuum", you won't even be able to tell which character is using his mumble and he was hired (and likely recorded his lines) sometime around 2015, playtonic can't fucking see the future to predict this was who JT would turn out to be.

This isn't supporting, say, Mel Gibson's antisemitic drunk ass by watching his movies, this is like wanting to boycott star wars because the guy wearing the Ewok #21 costume turned out to be a racist.

It's a really weird idea to want to hurt so much the people at Playtonic over something they couldn't possibly had control over, JT did all this shit way after the game already had gone gold.

eliochip

This isn't supporting, say, Mel Gibson's antisemitic drunk ass by watching his movies, this is like wanting to boycott star wars because the guy wearing the Ewok #21 costume turned out to be a racist.

It's a really weird idea to want to hurt so much the people at Playtonic over something they couldn't possibly had control over, JT did all this shit way after the game already had gone gold.

It would be really cool of them if they announced that they're removing his lines but yeah I agree with the above. How could they've known

Edit: called it. Good on them

Cleve

Then don't buy the game if it matters that much to you. You have that right.

You're right, I do. I also have the right to tell Playtonic how I feel. Did you have any point or critique to make, or are you just validating my liberties? Who's making it a bigger deal than that?

I'm not suggesting anything radical here, if they choose not to remove him, I'll choose to not buy their game. I'm already drowning in great games.

Dremark

Banned
It would be really cool of them if they announced that they're removing his lines but yeah I agree with the above. How could they've known

Looks like there were indications. Playtonic should have done some extreme vetting before putting him on the project. I'm sure Jon would have been okay with those type of precautions.

Some of us backed the game on Kickstarter. How would you suggest we go about not "buying" the game when we already contributed money to help it get created?
Yeah, this is even a trickier situation for backers if he's getting paid for his role then that possibly is backer money to fund for Jontron being a voice.
If the character or game are preaching hate speech or if jon tron had been hired to do the cameo voice AFTER he revealed himself as a piece of shit bigot, i would totally ask his participation to be removed, but come on people, put in some context in the events, Jon Tron's contribution to the game is yelling nonsense like "eekum bokuum", you won't even be able to tell which character is using his mumble and he was hired (and likely recorded his lines) sometime around 2015, playtonic can't fucking see the future to predict this was who JT would turn out to be.

It's not about whether Jontron is voicing a white supremacist character or whether you can spot which is his character. Jontron was brought on to the game, we already know his involvement.

"Hurt" is a bit much. Customers have every right not to purchase a game from Playtonic if it features a white supremacist being a character in a game. Gamers have certainly boycotted games on much smaller issues.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah, this is even a trickier situation for backers if he's getting paid for his role then that possibly is backer money to fund for Jontron being a voice.

Assuming he was paid.

Again I think people should ask for reimbursements and if they are not granted I think giving the backer game away to prevent sales is a good way of offsetting it.

Manzoon

Banned

In this case, if Ewok #21 was a well known star wars fan, who was leveraged for their personality, and who then said tons of vile things and they didn't edit him out before the release of the movie, then yeah I'd boycott it.

I was interested in Yooka Laylee before and now they've lost me. I'm not claiming to be infallible of having never supported a racist, but when it becomes known to me then I will do my best effort to avoid that product.

Edzi

Well, Playtonic removing him might actually be something that gets through to him in a way the internet/media outrage couldn't. He probably cared a lot about being in the game, so maybe this will make him think a little harder about what he said. Or maybe he'll triple down.

Well, Playtonic removing him might actually be something that gets through to him in a way the internet/media outrage couldn't. He probably cared a lot about being in the game, so maybe this will make him think a little harder about what he said. Or maybe he'll triple down.

Probably.

"Those fucking SJW's made me get booted off from the successor to my favorite game! REEEEEEEEEEE"

MrHoot

Bahaha.

He's gonna quadruple down. He got support from some of his friends, a rabid fanbase including newcomers from more questionable regions of the internet. He's gonna go with the narrative that this is an attack on his free speech or commulists degenerates, whatever you like.

Given how much he seems to love Rare and even the specific people making this game, I think this will cut deep.

Nepenthe

My Kickstarter pledge has been vindicated.

Also laughing at the irony of one of the biggest Banjo-Kazooie fans in gaming getting kicked off its spiritual successor because he couldn't keep his mouth shut about immigrants and race mixing, despite he himself being the mixed-race progeny of immigrants.

This is like a perfect Disney ending.

CazTGG

Glad to see other people agree that Boogie2988 is such a coward piece of shit.

But guys, a Donald Duck cartoon from the 40s making fun of Nazis is the same thing as Pewdiepie paying people to hold up a sign saying "Death to All Jews".

Everyone's the same on #TeamRational!

Yes, he really tweeted something along the lines of this with a link to Der Fuehrer's Face.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sorry for the bare bone bump...

Anyone have any idea what's happening with this guy 'nowadays'? I decided to stop following him on YT based on these past series of events, but for whatever reason I thought I'd take a peek at his page to see if he had uploaded anything more regarding this or if he's just hoping it dies down.

Didn't dig into too much detail but just based on his upload feed it looked like he hadn't published anything since then, then again he isn't as prolific as other youtubers so maybe this is just par for the course.

I stopped following him at the end of last year, but even then his uploads were increasingly irregular and the quality of his content had gone downhill since his heyday IMO.

Hopefully he's just shit the bed and quit altogether. I won't mourn his business crashing down due to the recent revelations.

faridmon

I assume him and his shitty racist fans are active somewhere on he internet. Its best to just forget this scum's existence and move on

He should do everyone a favor and disappear; he got off relatively light considering the magnitude of shit that came out of his mouth. Celebrities have gotten blacklisted for less.

I can't believe the amount of shitstains that came out of the woodwork to defend him on so many sites I frequent. If he disappears, hopefully they will go back into the gutter where they belong.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
As far as I know his subscribers didnt take too much of a hit. I never was subscribed because his humor was always hit and miss for me. He also shit talked Nuts and Bolts a lot.

But he still seems to be doing fine.

He should do everyone a favor and disappear; he got off relatively light considering the magnitude of shit that came out of his mouth.

I have to agree with this. The backlash wasn't big enough given what he said and how big his user base is. The crap he said would have been a career ender pre 2015.

Tiops

Jon left Normal Boots, there hasn't been a new videos for months (but this is usual for his channel) and his subreddit continues to be full of shitposts.

So, he lost some partnerships and stuff, but besides that nothing really changed. His subscribers numbes are still pretty healthy:

ASkIJpq.png

Sorry for the bare bone bump...

Anyone have any idea what's happening with this guy 'nowadays'? I decided to stop following him on YT based on these past series of events, but for whatever reason I thought I'd take a peek at his page to see if he had uploaded anything more regarding this or if he's just hoping it dies down.

Didn't dig into too much detail but just based on his upload feed it looked like he hadn't published anything since then, then again he isn't as prolific as other youtubers so maybe this is just par for the course.
He posted a vlog where he talked some bullshit and basically said next video was gonna take a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom