• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael K. Williams off the Han Solo movie due to reshoots

2f2b6a3373aadfb4435e802b690cf5ac.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They seriously need to cut their losses and cancel this project. No one is asking for this.

If the series survived the prequels, they will survive this.

That's a shame about MKW, I was really looking forward to Omar in Space.

tomtom94

Weird that the producers didn't have his availability on lockdown waaaaaaaaaaay in advance, but w/e.

Also, this shit happens all the time. Star Trek Beyond added in a whole new major character in reshoots and it was fine.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So how much more they have to rewrite and reshoot now that they literally lost one character from line up?

Who knows, it might be an easy cut to make. Not really that indictive of the quality of the movie or the extent of the reshoot changes since we don't know how important the character is to the story.

For example, Rogue was mostly cut out of X-Men: Days of Future Past. And despite it changing the runtime of the movie by almost 20 mins, it adds nothing to the central story.

Not sure what's funnier: The disaster that was L&M or people writing off this film because a (fringe) actor's small part got cut lol

Plum

I just don't understand how big projects like this can seem so hard for studios to make. It's a Han Solo film; you could write a decent one using a leftover Indiana Jones script and some duct tape. Maybe I'm completely ignorant to the film-making process, maybe making a classic schlock adventure flick is as difficult and time-consuming as a three hour history-spanning epic, but I don't know.

DeviantBoi

So he was important enough for the plot that they needed him for reshoots, but at the same time so unnecessary that they're okay with cutting him completely out of the story?

Yeah, okay...

sphagnum

Banned
I just don't understand how big projects like this can seem so hard for studios to make. It's a Han Solo film; you could write a decent one using a leftover Indiana Jones script and some duct tape. Maybe I'm completely ignorant to the film-making process, maybe making a classic schlock adventure flick is as difficult and time-consuming as a three hour history-spanning epic, but I don't know.

The problem with the movie wasn't the script, it was the coinflict between the directors and producer.

They seriously need to cut their losses and cancel this project. No one is asking for this.

What losses are you talking about?

How is this even remotely a plausible (much less possible) scenario you're advocating for here?

80% of the film was in the can before the directors got bounced. They got Ron Howard to do the remaining 20%, plus some to bondo in the gaps.

What losses are so grievous (hey, heyyyyyyyy get what I did the—) that they'd need to just eat the 150-200mil they're gonna spend to put it up onscreen?

Especially considering it's basically a guarantee they're going to clear 300mil domestic with it.

(Really curious what kind of interesting-yet-disposable sort of thing Williams was playing, though)

Plum

The problem with the movie wasn't the script, it was the coinflict between the directors and producer.

Ah, I see. Still, though, it's baffling how many times Hollywood comes into so much difficulty with these types of projects.

jelly

I dunno, I feel like they set a date, build stuff and oh wait this script is unfinished/shit, carry on anyway. Rogue One was kinda good and bad but you could tell they were flying on the seat of their pants and I have to ask why these films are made like that. Even the Force Awakens was bit hollow and rushed. It's odd. Why can't they write a good story and script then start filming?

I dunno, I feel like they set a date, build stuff and oh wait this script is unfinished/shit, carry on anyway. Rogue One was kinda good and bad but you could tell they were flying on the seat of their pants and I have to ask why these films are made like that. Even the Force Awakens was bit hollow and rushed. It's odd. Why can't they write a good story and script then start filming?

Almost all big-budget blockbusters are made like this now. Which sucks, absolutely, because setting a date before you have a finished screenplay (and not a finished first draft, but a finished screenplay, ready to shoot) seems like one of the most backwards way to get your story solid, but over the last 15-20 years, it's become the method of production.

It probably has a lot to do with the general lack of value assigned to screenwriting as a profession in general. If nobody gives a fuck about the writers, and everyone figures anyone can write, then there's no reason to put any importance on getting that aspect right first. Someone else will just work for the scraps they're tossing to get the shit right when everyone inevitably discovers that shit isn't working the way anyone wants.

It's not just a Star Wars thing. It's a film industry thing in general. Big four-quadrant people-pleasing tentpoles are made with a lot of elements carrying priority over the story, and the people in charge of making it work on the page.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Jesus Christ, I've just realized...if this film disappoints, I might not get my long awaited Obi-Wan movie.

It's all up to you now Howard, I guess.

Jesus Christ, I've just realized...if this film disappoints, I might not get my long awaited Obi-Wan movie.

You'll get that Ben movie even if this disappoints.

If anything, getting Daldry to spearhead the thing tells me Lucasfilm is already looking to make something smaller/cheaper, with none of the weird conflicts between writer/director/producer that has dogged the other two spinoffs (three if you wanna count the stillborn Fett movie)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Almost all big-budget blockbusters are made like this now. Which sucks, absolutely, because setting a date before you have a finished screenplay (and not a finished first draft, but a finished screenplay, ready to shoot) seems like one of the most backwards way to get your story solid, but over the last 15-20 years, it's become the method of production.

It probably has a lot to do with the general lack of value assigned to screenwriting as a profession in general. If nobody gives a fuck about the writers, and everyone figures anyone can write, then there's no reason to put any importance on getting that aspect right first. Someone else will just work for the scraps they're tossing to get the shit right when everyone inevitably discovers that shit isn't working the way anyone wants.

It's not just a Star Wars thing. It's a film industry thing in general. Big four-quadrant people-pleasing tentpoles are made with a lot of elements carrying priority over the story, and the people in charge of making it work on the page.
I remember hearing that most of the script of Iron Man 1 was figured out day by day, on the morning of each shoot. People just sat down and worked out what they would do and say in each scene before they did it, and then it was all cut into a movie afterwards.

That sounds fucking insane to me and it obviously worked out for that movie, but god damn is that a stupid and ridiculously reckless way to make a movie.

Top Bottom