• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters teases new racing game (GRID 3?)

Jibbed

YouTube (no footage, sound only). Announcement coming with gameplay on Tuesday the 22nd.

Sounds like a wide variety of cars will be present, so smart people's money will be on another GRID game. I'm hoping they move away from the IP's recent direction and back to its roots with a ToCA Race Driver-style title, but given their recent inclination towards arcade handling and other gimmicks I doubt it. In-car views and race team features are tipped to make a comeback given the fan backlash after GRID 2.

Edit: Below comments suggest it's NOT a GRID 2 port, cockpit view is back, and it's a 'return to its roots'... aw shit.

Just a heads up, this isn't DLC :)

Cockpit view? We listened..

BOOYA!

Codemasters were filming some BTCC stuff earlier this year at Donington Park

BjCMBQiIUAAoIDC.jpg

BTCC driver Matt Neal worked with them on the handling.

TOCA IS BACK!!!

O7X5Jw5.png

#racingiscoming

Where does Codemasters stand On next gen ? I always thought they would debut on the new consoles with Dirt but i did enjoy grid when it was on PS +

Watevaman

GRID 3? Ugh.

DLC here we come. No cockpit view? Here we come.

Pretty sure in that thread that was up a few months back a CM employee reinforced that the more traditional players shouldn't be worried about any new installments. To me that means that cockpits will be in and everything.

edit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748916&highlight=dirt

look at some of the tweets there. it's about Dirt, but I imagine it'll be the same for Grid after the backlash from before.

jlevel13

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a port of Grid 2 + DLC for PS4/XONE. It seems like it would be too soon for Grid 3 (especially considering how long it was between 1 & 2).

Jibbed

Fuck GRID.. I want a back-to-the-roots DiRT without Gymbullshit..

I think DiRT 3 is about as close as you'll get to that I'm afraid.

Why not just make the mother of all racing games and merge DiRT with GRID?

Already? Will they turn it into a yearly franchise? Or this will be just a port for the next gen consoles? So many questions.

Will be a Q1 2015 release at best, so no.

Bleh. GRID has just gotten too arcadey for my tastes. Bring back the ToCA series.

My man.

I'm unfamiliar with this series. Can someone give me a bullet point of the highlights of the game series and why it would be worth looking into? (I'm currently watching youtube videos right now but I want to know what's the general agreement of the game)

The_Monk

Thanks for posting fellow GAFfer. I have the Digital PS3 version but no longer have my PS3 but I did play quite a bit of GRID 2 on Steam and finished it. Can't wait to see what's coming up.

jabuseika

I think DiRT 3 is about as close as you'll get to that I'm afraid.

Why not just make the mother of all racing games and merge DiRT with GRID?

Hmm, yes! Like the old-school ToCA games. ToCA Race Driver 3 was an incredible game.

..and Throw some Formula 1 cars in there!, they have the Formula 1 License.

Really hoping for one of those awesome sim racers that Codemasters used to be famous for....probably not going to be the case with GRID3 (or remastered GRID 2)

SmokyDave

Man, I remember when news of a Codemasters racing game would rock my fucking world :(

The BTCC cries out for a next-gen ToCA rebirth. Hell, I'd settle for the PS1 games on PSN.

jet1911

I'm unfamiliar with this series. Can someone give me a bullet point of the highlights of the game series and why it would be worth looking into? (I'm currently watching youtube videos right now but I want to know what's the general agreement of the game)

Do you like racing games? Semi arcade/realistic ones? Try GRID 2 then. It's really good. Especially the PC version.

Jibbed

GRID 1
- Arcadey handling
- Create a race team
- Climb 'racing ladder' of sorts through various disciplines
- Good location / event variety
- Fun multiplayer (especially with touring cars)
- Decent visuals

GRID 2
- Very arcadey handling
- Team features gone
- Weird progression through events
- Separate multiplayer progression (greater emphasis on unlocks)
- Poor event / location variety
- Awesome visuals

TwistedSyn

We'll see how this goes. If there is no cockpit view then you will not be getting this 5% money. Still feel disgusted on how they treated us last time.

Certinty

Seems like a next-gen GRID, probably just an updated GRID 2 unfortunately. Not that GRID 2 was bad, but compared to the first it was a huge disappointment.

eso76

i really liked GRID, not sure what happened with 2.

But a next gen GRID could look all kinds of amazing, so i'm interested

Jibbed

I've been playing Race07 lately and the WTCC cars in that are great.. fingers crossed for a proper return for them or the BTCC in the new game.

GRID please! Even a revamped GRID 2 with improvements and the like on X1/PS4 will be welcome. GRID 2 Definitive Cockpit Edition in my veins

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If it's Grid 3, I hope the team stuff from the first game are back. Grid 2 was a step back in almost every regard.

GrayFoxPL

Just make a Dizzy, Ultimate Stuntman, Big Nose or Micro Machines.

Codemasters you weren't that dull in the past. Now your biggest ambition is another 4 letter racing game.

Surely too early for a fully-fledged GRID sequel? GRID 2 is barely a year old.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a spin-off, much like Dirt: Showdown.

Or it could just be an 'Definitive Edition' GRID 2 for PS4/One with cockpit view etc.

Dunkers92

Nice! Look forward to see what it is, Grid 2 Definitive (cockpit included) or a full on new game

As much as I liked Grid 2, it definitely was inferior to the first Grid, which is probably my favourite racing game considering how much I played it. Online touring cars was amazing and the career where you built a team was great

Top Bottom