• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Double Dragon have the most random redesigns of any game heroes? The answer: YES!

Double Dragon was ported to every single console and handheld, by a variety of different publishers. Which resulted in LOTS of redesigns of Bimmy and Jimmy.
Some awesome. Some very not awesome.

Double Dragon Arcade:

1334929982_28011202.jpg

Double Dragon NES:

604297.jpg

Double Dragon NES JPN:

ddfambox.gif

Double Dragon Sega Master System:

Double_Dragon.jpg

Double Dragon Sega Master System JPN:

DoubleDragon-SMS-JP-medium.jpg

Double Dragon Spanish MSX

ddmsxbox.gif

Double Dragon Atari 2600/7800

Double_Dragon_-_1988_-_Activision.jpg

Double Dragon II: The Revenge Commodore 64

DoubleDragon2.jpg

Double Dragon II: The Revenge NES JPN

dd2fam.jpg

Double Dragon II: The Revenge NES NA

Double_Dragon_II_-_The_Revenge_-_1988_-_Technos.jpg

Double Dragon II: The Revenge Arcade

dd2marq.gif

Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone Commodore 64

dd3amstradbox.jpg

Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones NES NA

dd3nesbox.jpg

Double Dragon III: The Roesetta Stone FAM JPN

dd3fam.gif

Double Dragon III: The Arcade Game Gameboy

dd3gbbox.jpg

Double Dragon III: The Arcade Game Genesis

dd3genbox.jpg

Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone Arcade

dd3marq.gif

Super Double Dragon SNES

sddbox.jpg

Return of Double Dragon SFAM JPN

roddbox.jpg

Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls SNES

Double%2BDragon%2BV%2B-%2BThe%2BShadow%2BFalls%2B%2528USA%2529_snes.jpg

Double Dragon Cartoon

Dragon18.jpg

Double Dragon Marvel Comic

cover1.jpg

Battletoads and Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team

bddsnesbox.jpg

Rage of the Dragons Arcade

rotdbox.gif

Double Dragon Movie

doubledragon7.jpg

Double Dragon Arcade NeoGeo

w_th_1.jpg

Double Dragon Advance GBA

1266.jpg

Double Dragon Neon PSN/XBLA

DoubleDragonNeon.jpg

Par for the course for late 80s to early 90s for most any game. Could jam Ikari Warriors up there for the same lack of character model.

demigod

Whoa, Jackie Chan is in one of them. So is David Bowie. Didn't know they made a Battletoads & Double Dragon.

MutFox

Banned
The Japanese Art for Double Dragon 2 is beautiful.
I still have the poster that came with the game.

Should frame it.

DD2 on the NES is still my fave in the DD series,
and probably one of my most played NES games.

Who the heck is that yellow dude supposed to be? Did Double Dragon III arcade have a third brother in yellow instead of the chinese dude and the ninja?

That's Sonny, duh.

As usual, the first two players take control of Billy and Jimmy in that order, while the third player assumes the role of Sonny, a yellow-clad palette swap of the Lee brothers.

Who the heck is that yellow dude supposed to be? Did Double Dragon III arcade have a third brother in yellow instead of the chinese dude and the ninja?

He's not an extra brother, but DD3 is 3-player co-op, so I guess creative license? That game sucks, lol

Also, just noticed 2012 marks the 25th Anniversary of DD. Time to go play DD Advance again

jmdajr

Wow this is incredibly cool.

Thank you for sharing.

Double Dragon 2 for NES is one of my most played games of all time.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

its chin but instead of a kungfu master they decided to draw him as a buff white dude in a yellow tank top

edit: who the hell is sonny is he a arcade version only dude?

NeonZ

Rage of the Dragons Arcade

To be fair, Rage of the Dragons isn't an official "Double Dragons" game, so they had to redesign everyone in order to not be sued. I'm surprised they got away with keeping the character and series names as close to the original ones as they did.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Slightly off-topic, but is any version of Double Dragon III actually good? I have it for NES and it's unplayable. I mean, fuck. Surely someone must have fixed it at some point?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Slightly off-topic, but is any version of Double Dragon III actually good? I have it for NES and it's unplayable. I mean, fuck. Surely someone must have fixed it at some point?

me and a friend beat it the other day the trick is to keep walking up and down and and kite the enemies enemies take a while to switch animation sets so you can kick their ass before they can swing at ya also fuck stage 5 instant kill bull crap if you miss the jumps at the beginning

Owensboro

OP missed one, 1995 fighting game:
http://i.imgur.com/TeZMX.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Abobo is so freaking OP. I loved watching people play this on the "Mystery Tournament" recently for some fighting game tournament I can't remember the name of right now. East Coast Throwdown?

Box art artists just didn't give a fuck back then. Not that there wasnt totally awesome shit, but I have to wonder if most of these people ever even saw whatever game they were supposed to be depicting or had any communication with the publishers at all. Maybe like a one sentence description. And I love it.

Chairhome

I think most of the character designs are consistent with the exception of the international releases changing the character to fit more with their cultures...

The thing I love about the Marvel Comics adaptation (of which I think I still have the back issues) is that it reveals in one issue that Billy and Jimmy Lee's long lost father is none other than
Stan Lee
. Link

I think most of the character designs are consistent with the exception of the international releases changing the character to fit more with their cultures...

The thing I love about the Marvel Comics adaptation (of which I think I still have the back issues) is that it reveals in one issue that Billy and Jimmy Lee's long lost father is none other than

But I don't believe you either way.

Edit: Jesus, you're right.

To me, canon is:

Double Dragon I
Double Dragon II
Double Dragon III
Super/Return of Double Dragon

Double Dragon Advance is a remake
Double Dragon Neon is a re-imagining.

no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!

Double Dragon 1
Double Dragon 2 - futuristic alternate universe
Double Dragon 3 - continues timeline of one
Super/Return - prequel to the futuristic alternate universe of 2
Advance - the guys from Super/Return level up and take a time machine to the past and found that all the enemies did too
Neon - Sequel to 3

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Stan Lee
. Link
Oh wow, that's crazy!

LEE!

Wait, there's a Double Dragon game coming out this year?

Yeah, made by WayForward. The game looks bad visually (they were trying to go for specific style, but they failed) but the game itself from what people that have played it at PAX and E3 have said, it's pretty fun.

Verelios

I only played one of the versions...probably on genesis? over at a friends house, years back. I stuck with my beat m' ups.

Then I discovered Streets of Rage. Never looked back.

Top Bottom