• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Oh god. I was 3 wins away from rank 5 in Standard three days ago. Then I went on a 14 game losing streak. I've never experienced anything like that. Just got a win on turn 3 vs a Pirate Warrior to finally break that streak. The saddest thing is the losing streak was spread over three play sessions across those three days, so it wasn't like a one-sitting tilt-fest.

Dragon Priest and Miracle Priest seemed to have suddenly fallen off a cliff for me, but I'm determined to pilot them to rank 5 this season.

Miletius

So, should I craft Lyra? I have a 3 priest quest, and I'm not sure if she's worth it. Seems like the most fun card of the expansion.

Rogue and priest ended up being pretty similar classes in the end. They both have steal mechanics that make them interesting to play (for me).

So, should I craft Lyra? I have a 3 priest quest, and I'm not sure if she's worth it. Seems like the most fun card of the expansion.

Rogue and priest ended up being pretty similar classes in the end. They both have steal mechanics that make them interesting to play (for me).

I like Lyra, but she only wins me maybe 20% of my total wins in my Miracle Priest. Seems like Shadow Visions honestly wins me more games.

I was running a deck very similar to that before and found I would somwtimes run out of steam by turn 5 or 6. I would have a hand full of 1 drops that seemed to be underpowered at that point of the game. Any advice on how you play this deck more efficiently?

yeah this is my history
dSEFyYL.jpg

running out of steam really shouldn't be a concern since the average game is 7 turns, with that lineup of 1 drops a tolvir warden should be all you need to push yourself over the edge

when i win games at turn 9 or later i'm often completely skipping a turn in order to drop a combo for the KO or something, but as stated, just throw those games out the window, you want to have extreme board control and calculate how you can win the game on 6-9 while maintaining the best board possible and being mindful of what you know your opponent is looking to play (ex do not allow any beasts to live against a hunter, undefeated against the mirror match because i 100% play behind that for instance)

nashman

Too much aggro. Most matches end on turn 7, tired of facing Pwarrior murglePally Hunter.

The few times you don't play one of those decks(forgot aggroDruid) Hearthstone has never been better. Back and forth matches that end on turn 28 are great.

One small patch would put aggro inline and still viable
Patches= lose charge
Macaw Warleader Gboatman= 1 more mana

That's it. Perfect game.

Blizzard

Banned
Too much aggro. Most matches end on turn 7, tired of facing Pwarrior murglePally Hunter.

The few times you don't play one of those decks(forgot aggroDruid) Hearthstone has never been better. Back and forth matches that end on turn 28 are great.

Patches= lose charge

That's it. Perfect game.
Your enjoyment of that very much depends on what you want out of the game.

Imagine how much you have to grind the ladder now...and imagine if every game was 28 turns. Those of us with limited time to play the game would be in an awful situation with that. Imagine 28 turns where someone ropes every time.

A big reason I like Hearthstone is that unlike MOBAs, you CAN play several ranked games without taking 30+ minutes for each one.

fertygo

I like Lyra, but she only wins me maybe 20% of my total wins in my Miracle Priest. Seems like Shadow Visions honestly wins me more games.

If one card in your 30 card deck won you 20% of your game, that card is fucking good

I think you get your math analogy wrong.

Dahbomb

Patches= lose charge

That's it. Perfect game.
What's the GBoatman? Gadgetzan Ferryman? Because that card is really weak for its cost... it's a 2 mana 2/3 bounce effect... on a COMBO. That's in most cases worse than a Panda which is a NEUTRAL card. Would be really dumb to nerf it.

In fact all those other "1 mana more" cards aren't good nerf suggestions.. would just make those cards really bad except maybe Warleader.

Blizzard

Banned
What's the GBoatman? Gadgetzan Ferryman? Because that card is really weak for its cost... it's a 2 mana 2/3 bounce effect... on a COMBO. That's in most cases worse than a Panda which is a NEUTRAL card. Would be really dumb to nerf it.

In fact all those other "1 mana more" cards aren't good nerf suggestions.. would just make those cards really bad except maybe Warleader.
I think that's the point -- they want those cards to be bad so that games will last very long. (I'm not saying that effect would happen, but that seems to be the poster's goal.)

nashman

Games don't take 30 mins they take 8 instead of 3.

I just played a game were I hullcinated a priests Lyra on turn 1. I saved it and coin because against a priest this won't end on turn 7.

FF to turn 10 play it and end turn with 4 priest spells in my hand.

FF to turn 15 he Nzoths. I have some board and a ton of his/mine spells

FF , some crazy shit, turn 23 I win.

In the late game a player mistake or deck building decide the game VS spewing your hand on to the board as fast as possible.

Whatever to each his own and I kinda see how new player can play a tier 1/2 deck. Hunter for cheap, straight forward. Hearthstone is very exspensive or time consuming and still needs new players.

nashman

Ferry = Boat yeah lol.

Patches needs to be bad. Or some sort of Pwarrior nerf no? 2 straight seasons as top tier 1?

Dahbomb

Don't know why every time someone brings up increasing average game length it is always met with "don't want to deal with 30+ turns going into fatigue, got better stuff to do". No one is asking for the game length to be extended from average 7 turns to 27 turns... just a couple of turns would be fine.

If the average game length is 7 turns then that's still pretty bad for the game. That's not enough decisions made per game to make a game feel like you got to play out your strategy. That also removes a bunch of decks from being playable if the meta is that fast. It also removes a bunch of cards because if the games are ending by turn 7... how the hell are you going to play your 10 mana Old Gods?

On the other hand, calling for nerfs this fast is still not appropriate. Patches is the only card that deserves a nerf at this point and is long over due. The rest of the cards? Ferryman? A card that is only used in one deck that doesn't have a high enough win rate or a high placing on tiers? And a card that is mathematically not even that great? No you can't really nerf that card at all.

Jeweled McCaw is played in Hunter which while good is still not that dominant of a deck. If anything Crackling Razormaw is far more powerful than McCaw. So why should it be nerfed when neither the card nor the deck are that oppressive? You are just going to make Hunters worse.. which is perfectly fine because Hunter is an atrociously designed class but it's not a good balancing choice to make.

Warleader admittedly has always been an extremely strong card and is probably a candidate for rotation into Hall of Fame. Though Murlocs being strong outside of the Finja package has really only been a recent thing and I believe the culprits are stuff like that new 2 mana Murloc and that Dino Murloc. It's like Blizzard has forgotten why Murlocs are usually understatted for their cost... their synergies are very powerful.

Fewr

I was playing warlock vs rogue, and he took a while to complete his quest. A couple of turns after he did, I summoned jaraxxus using my spare coin. After that, it turned into a 5/5 vs 6/6 minions for the rest of the fight.

I ended up beating him easily because I also happened to have a few spare taunt minions unused.

Blizzard

Banned
Which is most important for Pirate Warrior if I'm missing these?

• 1x Dread Corsair (common)
  • 1x Upgrade! (rare)
  • 2x Mortal Strike (rare)
  • 2x Bloodsail Cultist (rare)
  • 1x Bloodsail Corsair (rare)
  • 2x Southsea Captain (epic)

Don't know why every time someone brings up increasing average game length it is always met with "don't want to deal with 30+ turns going into fatigue, got better stuff to do". No one is asking for the game length to be extended from average 7 turns to 27 turns... just a couple of turns would be fine.
You say no one, and a couple of turns would be fine, but just a few posts above you there is someone saying most matches end on 7, and turn 28 matches are great. :p I think that person might disagree with you.

• 1x Upgrade! (rare)

I would say Cultist and upgrade are first priority. Then the mortal strikes and the Dread Corsair. Most pirate warriors ive seen don't run Bloodsail Corsair, so that's definitely on the bottom.

Blizzard

Banned
I would say Cultist and upgrade are first priority. Then the mortal strikes and the Dread Corsair. Most pirate warriors ive seen don't run Bloodsail Corsair, so that's definitely on the bottom.
Thanks! And you're right, I got all the Bloodsail and Corsair cards mixed up. The decklist I was referencing didn't have Bloodsail Corsair itself.

Hachimaki

Started playing Medivh Mage and so far it's a small sample size, but I am currently 5-2 with the deck.

I was able to beat Quest Rogue and the easiest matchups are against Mid-Range Hunter I am 4-0 against that class.

Taunt Warrior is a more difficult matchup especially when they start to amass large amounts of armor due to Armorsmiths.

nashman

Ok my specific examples of nerfs maybe bad, but you get the drift of light aggro correction.

Not saying Aggro is bad , it needs to be there as part of the Rock Paper Scissors. Hearthstone is a deeper richer game if it's not the dominant type of the three.

#letsplaychessnotcheckers

fertygo

Patches is good, but not game breaking.

Weapons are the problem. Goddamn 7/3 Arcanite Reapers and such.

Patches is broken and one of reason upgrading weapon is even more ez mode

but to be honest I don't understand why people still play pirate warr, even if statistic say its good

losing every other game just because gollaka crawler can't be fun, I rather play aggro druid

Dahbomb

but to be honest I don't understand why people still play pirate warr, even if statistic say its good

losing every other game just because gollaka crawler can't be fun, I rather play aggro druid

That's like saying why play Pirate Warrior when you can have your double upgraded Arcanite Reaper Oozed...

It's because the deck is strong enough to survive counter techs. 56% win rate despite having new Ooze, way more taunts than before and a card specifically design to counter Pirates... That's how powerful PW is.

Blizzard

Banned
I only have a few days, but I'm still trying to see if I can get Pirate Warrior down to 11 or 12. I once got to 13 but have been stuck at 15 recently.

I think Patches can be ok in the same way mech, dragon, and elemental synergies are fair. The problem is mostly that you only need 3 cards to benefit from Patches.

Blizzard

Banned
I only have a few days, but I'm still trying to see if I can get Pirate Warrior down to 11 or 12. I once got to 13 but have been stuck at 15 recently.
Example: I just got stomped by a quest warlock of all things, playing pirate warrior (and I don't mean "pirate warrior that inlcudes Explore Un'goro"), unable to deal the last 5 damage.

I thought that quest was supposed to be bottom tier, so either I'm bizarrely misplaying, I'm unlucky, or the few rare/epic/legendaries I'm still missing are important. :p

fertygo

That's like saying why play Pirate Warrior when you can have your double upgraded Arcanite Reaper Oozed...

It's because the deck is strong enough to survive counter techs. 56% win rate despite having new Ooze, way more taunts than before and a card specifically design to counter Pirates... That's how powerful PW is.

yeah but its counting the archetype farming unrefined deck at first 2 week, I bet its lower than that after meta established

and like I said, even if the stat said so, those ultra detailed percentage only matter if you tryharding at legend rank

I don't know man, everytime I crawler PW at t2/t3 and run away with game I kept thinking, its can't be fun for that guy.. hell I even try some pirate warrior game and lose the game right away, and yeah its felt like kicked at nut.. don't know why you want struggle with that if not tryharding for world championship

• 1x Upgrade! (rare)

You say no one, and a couple of turns would be fine, but just a few posts above you there is someone saying most matches end on 7, and turn 28 matches are great. :p I think that person might disagree with you.

Example: I just got stomped by a quest warlock of all things, playing pirate warrior (and I don't mean "pirate warrior that inlcudes Explore Un'goro"), unable to deal the last 5 damage.

I thought that quest was supposed to be bottom tier, so either I'm bizarrely misplaying, I'm unlucky, or the few rare/epic/legendaries I'm still missing are important. :p
Could be a combination of all of it. I know I get wrecked sometimes when trying a new deck because I don't know proper mulligans and I don't trade properly. There's also other things I learned along the way, like hitting my armor after I kill a minion with a weapon....or maybe not using the hero power at all depending on the situation.

You are definitely missing some key stuff that will help you win a bit easier. Those Bloodsail Cultist make a huge difference. And that extra Upgrade wouldn't hurt either.

Mulgrok

Hearthstone should really look into doing something similar to the rune system in Elder Scrolls Legends. Games usually have a lot of back and forth because of playing prophecy cards when rune breaks.

Lyng

Hearthstone should really look into doing something similar to the rune system in Elder Scrolls Legends. Games usually have a lot of back and forth because of playing prophecy cards when rune breaks.

While I have often thought the same and that design would appeal to me more, I just think it goes against the design of Hearthstone. Hearthstone was designed to be a casual, easy, quick mobile game. And clearly it's been a success for Blizzard. I am glad that games like Duelyst or Legends go down a more strategic route and focus on the tactical and skill based gameplay, I still think Hearthstone should stay true to its nature and stay as more of a casual gateway game.

vall03

Oh god, Hero Power quest... Welp, I guess this is better than a Win x games quest. Will probably take me a day or two to complete.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh god, Hero Power quest... Welp, I guess this is better than a Win x games quest. Will probably take me a day or two to complete.
Why a day? It should take 5 games max. Just use your power starting at turn 2, and you should at least survive until turn 7 or so.

vall03

Why a day? It should take 5 games max. Just use your power starting at turn 2, and you should at least survive until turn 7 or so.

It might look easy to do, but it is time-consuming. You can only use Hero Power once which makes it very slow to complete. Its the type of quest that is best done when you have another quest as it will be completed naturally.

If one card in your 30 card deck won you 20% of your game, that card is fucking good

I think you get your math analogy wrong.

I guess I meant, of the games I win (I don't know, 55%?), 20% of those wins are due to Lyra. So not 20% of my games are won because of her, but 20% of my wins come from her. She's basically a 1/5th of my win condition, is what I'm arguing. That estimate still might be way off as I don't track my wins/loses.

Grief.exe

I just built some budget Pirate Warrior deck because my Midrange Hunter was getting destroyed by Control Paladins at the 6-7 ranks.

This is stupid.

EmiPrime

What recourse do we have for players that quickly make their turns then rope over and over every turn in the hopes of their opponent conceding out of boredom?

scarlet

Had a match against hunter who tried to bluff and failed. He was down at 1 and I was at 3. It was his turn and he had 1 card left, and keep hovering it to my face hoping I was gonna concede lol.

cHinzo

Man I'd really like to play a Paladin deck but I just don't have the dust for all the cards I'm missing.

To be fair, it's not hard to make an elemental Paladin deck without any legendaries in it and still make it work. U discover enough legendaries with Servant of Kalimos and Stonehill Defender anyways. :D

Hanzou

Opened 18 packs on ungoro release and got one legendary, emet. Shifty but whatever. Just opened I would say my 5th pack since release day last night and got a second legendary...emet. Ugh!

Grief.exe

Opened 18 packs on ungoro release and got one legendary, emet. Shifty but whatever. Just opened I would say my 5th pack since release day last night and got a second legendary...emet. Ugh!

That shouldn't even be possible this expansion too!

I've seen an idea floating around on Reddit where unpacking a duplicate legendary merges those cards into a golden legendary.

On the bright side:

If you get only two more Emets you can craft the legendary you actually want!

Top Bottom