• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Rizzi

Ditto! Because Basch isn't the best on the magic front, Shikari/Foebreaker should be a good combo for him, and Shikari/Foebreaker are a good combo in general. (It goes well for the first page, then descends into arguing...)

Kensuke did some nice class combo breakdowns here for the characters, if you didn't want to go Shikari/Foebreaker. Unlike Vaan, Basch wouldn't be quite as suited for the Shikari/WM or Shikari/RBM combos, but ultimately FFXII isn't that hard for it to matter too much.

Foebreaker it is. Thanks!

Dynedom

Explain quickenings to me pls; why do I sometimes get prompts and sometimes not?

If you see no prompts for a quickening you can press R2 to cycle again and hope for a Mist Charge. Activating a mist charge gets you another chance to execute a quickening. Rinse and repeat (hopefully).

Explain quickenings to me pls; why do I sometimes get prompts and sometimes not?

I posted this a few pages ago in response to someone else, should be what you're looking for though.

I mean, it is random. It's kind of like slots. When it gives you your three options, each character is given a random roll between their three quickenings and Mist Charge.

So let's say you're Balthier, and you used his lvl 1 Quickening. When the roll comes up you might get his lvl 1, lvl 2, lvl 3, or Mist Charge. If it's lvl 1 or lvl 2, you can select it, because since you originally used his level 1, you still have 2 bars left. If lvl 3 comes up, it'll be greyed out cause you no longer have enough bars to cast it (because you already used one to initiate the Quickening). So you have to choose another character's option or reroll with the R2 button. If it's Mist Charge, you'll get all his bars back and it will reroll so you can select something new. And this time you'll be guaranteed to select Balthier again, because you've given him all his bars back, so no matter if it's 1, 2, or 3, you'll be able to cast it

So if you want long chains, you'd want to select low level quickenings, because that leaves you with more mist bars available to you, so your odds are better of a roll coming up with something you're still got the bars left to cast. If you consistently use lvl 3s, you become reliant on Mist Charge showing up on the slot reel to refill that characters bars and give you the ability to continue the quickening chain.

Well, it took only 45 minutes to get 6 Seitengrat.

What do you know, when a method is said to be 100% and in fact truly is, it doesn't take long to get what you need.

Its like people forgot that it was originally supposed to take you 60 hours of zoning to get one.

I never forgot, because I never knew/experienced it ;)
First time playing the game.

That said, I thank you and everyone else who put out methods and researched the freaking thing, because without you guys, it's obvious I wouldn't have got so many of them in such a short time.

bluethree

I'm just a few hours in but I'm so happy that I can give this another shot. I didn't get very far when it was first released because I was too hung up on the fact that it wasn't exactly what I hoped. Once you accept the game on its own terms, flaws and all - and the flaws aren't even that bad - it's pretty fucking awesome.

edgefusion

I think I already know the answer to this is no, but is there any way to refund all your LP and reset your jobs? I've made some questionable decisions I'd rather undo...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think I already know the answer to this is no, but is there any way to refund all your LP and reset your jobs? I've made some questionable decisions I'd rather undo...

Obviously the answer is no.

Though I've never seen an RPG that lets you "refund" choices in stat building, and I think that's actually an interesting QOL angle for an RPG someday...

MikeBison

Obviously the answer is no.

Though I've never seen an RPG that lets you "refund" choices in stat building, and I think that's actually an interesting QOL angle for an RPG someday...

Dark souls, Witcher 3...

Edit: Not the first dark souls iirc. But DS2 and 3 at very least.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dark souls, Witcher 3...

Edit: Not the first dark souls iirc. But DS2 and 3 at very least.

Oh.. I've played 100s of RPGs, but not these :p

Now if you had a game with both stat refunding and gambits? Game changer!

Gonna be starting this game next weekend. I cannot believe the amount of thought that I've given to picking jobs. I know that it doesn't really matter that much or whatever, but I don't want to miss out on the fun of badass combinations with cool weapon animations that fit the characters well.

Also really looking forward to experiencing this game as an adult. Replaying FFX warmed my opinion of it quite a bit, guessing that the same thing will happen here.

einer51

Oh god, I left my party somewhere in the great crystal yesterday when I fell asleep. Now I gotta figure out what the hell i was doing in my post surgery recovery haze. The minimap is completely worthless, and it's an annoying slog with few landmarks.

Press L3. Better map.

Syntsui

You can get an infinite amount of Genji Gloves in the game, it doesn't matter if you forgot to steal from Gilgamesh.

Just steal from Judge Bergan on trial.

Does the order of your jobs matter, say if I want to make Vaan a Shikari/Red Battlemage, is that any different than going Red Battlemage at the start, and Shikari later on, aside from the obvious fact I'll have Red Battlemage skills first?
I never played XII on PS2, so I'm at a bit of a loss with the systems.

Also, what is the ideal battle mode and speed? I'm used to ATB, mainly the frantic X-2 pace, so Wait is seeming a bit slow for me, but I'm not sure what the actual battle speed setting changes. Is Active OK to use, or is it like Wait on XV, where it's more of an afterthought/optional way to play the game, and not the intended way?

Ludens

Banned
So I choose the following:

Vaan- shikari
Fran machinist
Balthier Foe Braker
Penelo Monk

Am I doing right?
I remember I beat the game back in days with no trouble, but I can't really remember what job I used for each character.

Can you suggest me a primary class for missing characters and a support one too?
Of course without repeating classes if possible.

Syntsui

On that subject: the consensus is to not pick the Ninja Sword 2 one (ie. Koga and Iga blade)?
I value elemental weapons more than normal weapons, so I'd skip Ninja Blade 1. Of course, you'd have to switch weapons according to the enemies' resistance, but that's not really much to worry. In the end, as long as you have Yagyu to trivialize Yiazmat, nothing else matters.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I value elemental weapons more than normal weapons, so I'd skip Ninja Blade 1. Of course, you'd have to switch weapons according to the enemies' resistance, but that's not really much to worry. In the end, as long as you have Yagyu to trivialize Yiazmat, nothing else matters.
I agree. Earth and water elements are the hardest to exploit (no earth spells and only the crappy Aqua spell). So it makes most sense to take 2, 3, 4

Carbonox

Alright Yiazmat down... now I'll need to work on trial mode... I really don't see how I can do it, the top I reached was stage 86. I wonder if I should grind to 99 before, level up don't seems to matter too much, I'm at 76 right now.

Cast Reverse on your team and their hits will heal you instead, giving you a far greater leg up in the fight. This was brick wall until I Reversed my way to victory.

86 is rough unless you use something like an espers ultimate to clear out all the pirates. after that the two named ones are easy. the rest of the stuff ain't too bad since it's all enemies you've killed before until 100.

Any tips for Gilgamesh? For some reason he's far more difficult than his hunt version.

Jolkien

Trial mode 100 completed, I abused the hell out of Zodiark, I almost feel guilty, almost.
Does anybody here got the trophy for the bestiary ? You just need the initial entry not the second one right ?

Huh, just used Fran's shatterheart (level 3 quickening) and the timer ran out while the animation played, no option for chaining at all. That's got to be a bug, right? I definitely remember comboing level 3 quickenings in original game....

Also, did about 6,000 damage to the elder wyrm I was fighting, Fran is only level 27 or something. Didn't remember these hitting quite so hard.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Speaking of stealing, can I setup a gambit to automatically steal, then stop stealing if successful?

Nah, sadly. You have a few different options.
Here's my favorite set up for random exploration/leveling/trash mobs where I'm prioritizing looting over all else:

Thief (highest priority) - foe: hp = 100% -> steal
Partner 1 (high prioirty) - foe: party leader target -> attack
Partner 2 (high prioirty) - foe: party leader target -> attack

This'll make it so that your thief will go around stealing from all full hp foes while your two other party members attack that same target at least once, effectively removing them from the thief's valid steal target list. By "high priority" for your partners, I mean high priority amongst across their attack gambits. I wouldn't necessarily sacrifice healing and dispelling. As long as one of the partners is attacking your thief's target, it should keep the thief moving along swimmingly. Override manually if there's a rare mob you REALLY want to steal from first, or takes multiple attempts. But otherwise, it's a fairly hands off approach.

The con to this set up is that you'll really be spreading out that DPS across encounters rather than focusing on burning down mobs as efficiently as possible.

If you'd rather shift some of the focus from stealing to attacking, change up your thief's gambits so they look more like this:

Thief (1st highest priority) - foe: hp < 90% -> attack
Thief (2nd highest priority) - foe: hp = 100% -> steal

This will interrupt your thief's stealing frenzy as your two partners weaken his/her targets, and the thief will shift focus to helping your partners take down targets before stealing from the next totally healthy one.
First setup will net you more loot. Second setup will more efficiently end encounters.

Edit - These also work best when you're actively controlling the thief, since in those situations he/she takes point and will be the first to target foes (and steal from 'em).

Fisty

Lore question
why is Belias the one who opens the door to Giruvegan? That doesn't seem in line with the over-arching conflict, you would think they would want to keep Espers out

Vic_Viper

Does anyone have a good guide or even images for the new license boards? Looking to plan out my moves instead of just doing them on the fly like I have been but all the images I've found are for the old license board.

Also about to face the mimic queen boss but I don't have a black Mage with Blizzard which everyone seems to recommend. Can Fran learn it without being a Black Mage ATM?

Alucrid

Banned
Cast Reverse on your team and their hits will heal you instead, giving you a far greater leg up in the fight. This was brick wall until I Reversed my way to victory.

Any tips for Gilgamesh? For some reason he's far more difficult than his hunt version.

i didn't really have too much of a problem with that fight. just burned down his pet real fast with oil+fire, then set decoy + reverse on a tank and went ham.

Does anyone have a good guide or even images for the new license boards? Looking to plan out my moves instead of just doing them on the fly like I have been but all the images I've found are for the old license board.

Also about to face the mimic queen boss but I don't have a black Mage with Blizzard which everyone seems to recommend. Can Fran learn it without being a Black Mage ATM?

i could get images if you want, but they're filled out, some spots would be blank because of espers/quickenings not being learned and i wouldn't have time to write out what each icon is

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

The message board at gamefaqs has a sticky topic with images of all the boards
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75557762

Top Bottom