• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Metal Gear

A few years ago, many of us were unbelievably excited for TPP.

Speculation was wild. Hype was full throttle.

Every few weeks / months we'd hear or see something new and the fan base would go crazy, nitpicking every little detail and coming up with theories that would often never be as crazy as Kojima's final product.

This was the same for as long as I remember - MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS:pW.

When MGS:Rising and MGS:pW were being teased, there was a countdown on the Konami site with a backdrop of a wheat field (if I remember) with the weather getting worse as time went on.

The excitement around all of the gaming conventions in the hopes of seeing more of the new MGS was always so good.

Now, nothing. I know Death Stranding is coming and it'll be good but it doesn't have the same level of excitement as it's a new IP.

Anyone else miss it as much as I do?

EDIT: Kojima directed MGS games. Survive won't win me over.

luulubuu

I still can't believe that such a dedicated fanbase did miss
the massive spoiler that gives away the entire premise of the game in one of the earliest trailers of the game.
is just nuts.

But well you are getting Metal Gear Survive next year, I'm really excited.

cordy

Banned
2683156-mgs07.jpg

Have we got the series for you!

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/metal-gear-scanlon/

I love the series and as someone who doesn't watch many playthroughs of games, Drew and Dan playing the game was worth it. It's great watching someone new to the series experience it for the first time. Given I miss the series, this helped a bit.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Now, nothing. I know Death Stranding is coming and it'll be good but it doesn't have the same level of excitement as it's a new IP.
Hell no, I'm incredibly excited for Death Stranding. I'm done with Metal Gear. Love the series to death but it's time to stop making those games.

there's one thing konami can still do without kojima being there....

Metal gear 1 and 2 remake (the MSX ones) with fox engine...

i would be happy with that

there's one thing konami can still do without kojima being there....

Metal gear 1 and 2 remake (the MSX ones) with fox engine...

i would be happy with that

Maybe it's just the fanbase and the constant clamoring for an MGS3 remake (a game that absolutely does not need to be remade), but I am so done with the idea of any kind of Metal Gear remake.

If they're gonna make more Metal Gear, it better be something new (and not just more Survive bullshit)

I definitly miss it. It is my second favorite franchise after Final Fantasy, they're both close. Nothing comes close in my opinion. I'm content that we won't get any true new Metal Gears in the future. I'm glad that Kojima has the opportunity to (hopefully) truly explore if full creativity. I'm looking forward to Death Stranding.

I have zero faith in Konami to do justice to the franchise in the future. The only thing I'd be happy them doing is remastering MGS4 for PS4/Bone/PC, porting the HD Collection to more platforms and maybe a MGS1 remake.

What I really want them to do is sell the IP to Kojima Productions so they can either do that stuff them selves, source it out whilst controlling QA or maybe give us a new one.

What would be amazing is if we got a finished version of MGSV.

oldboss

I'm with you. Even though I was incredibly disappointed as far as TTP goes, the wait for a new game was always part of the experience, and, as it did for you, made me all the more excited for gaming events and conventions and whatnot.

I'll go as far as to say that, now that MGS is "over", I'll never be as excited for video games as before.

That feeling has become gradually stronger over the past year or so, and I haven't really been playing as much as I used to. (Haven't played more than 10 hours in the last 5 months)

When a new game got announced I knew I was gonna spend the next years thinking about it daily and devote most of my free time scraping together all the information I could get.

Even though a few incredible games came out over the last months, I can't muster up the enthusiasm to play 'em. Everything feels kinda bland now video game wise.

I didn't know the serie's end would have had that effect on me :/

luulubuu

Maybe it's just the fanbase and the constant clamoring for an MGS3 remake (a game that absolutely does not need to be remade), but I am so done with the idea of any kind of Metal Gear remake.

If they're gonna make more Metal Gear, it better be something new (and not just more Survive bullshit)

How is Survive bullshit? Have you played the game already to tell why is bad or you are just assuming here?

deo

Banned
IMO Metal Gear had its run. Its a series from the 80s! Theres plenty of games to still keep us entertained for the rest of our lives!

I'm with you. Even though I was incredibly disappointed as far as TTP goes, the wait for a new game was always part of the experience, and, as it did for you, made me all the more excited for gaming events and conventions and whatnot.

I'll go as far as to say that, now that MGS is "over", I'll never be as excited for video games as before.

That feeling has become gradually stronger over the past year or so, and I haven't really been playing as much as I used to. (Haven't played more than 10 hours in the last 5 months)

When a new game got announced I knew I was gonna spend the next years thinking about it daily and devote most of my free time scraping together all the information I could get.

Even though a few incredible games came out over the last months, I can't muster up the enthusiasm to play 'em. Everything feels kinda bland now video game wise.

I didn't know the serie's end would have had that effect on me :/

You said it better than I ever could!

I love games, but now that MGS is over (no, Survive doesn't count), no game will ever make me as excited anymore. Sure I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU:2, Death Stranding, Spiderman, RDR:2 and others, but I'm not incredibly excited for any of them.

Let's hope Death Stranding changes my opinion though. I know it'll be amazing but it has to prove itself, I think.

Osukaa

I definitly miss it. It is my second favorite franchise after Final Fantasy, they're both close. Nothing comes close in my opinion. I'm content that we won't get any true new Metal Gears in the future. I'm glad that Kojima has the opportunity to (hopefully) truly explore if full creativity. I'm looking forward to Death Stranding.

I have zero faith in Konami to do justice to the franchise in the future. The only thing I'd be happy them doing is remastering MGS4 for PS4/Bone/PC, porting the HD Collection to more platforms and maybe a MGS1 remake.

What I really want them to do is sell the IP to Kojima Productions so they can either do that stuff them selves, source it out whilst controlling QA or maybe give us a new one.

What would be amazing is if we got a finished version of MGSV.

Bravo well said. I feel the same. I love metal gear so much. I wish Konami would sell it to Kojima but they'd probably ask for an impossible price just to fck with him... I also agree with the OP, it was always in the back of your mind when they would announce a new metal gear after the latest one was out for a while and when it would be announced people would go crazy and then Kojima would go out and try to out-Kojima himself from his last metal gear announcement.. Good times and good memories. Glad I got to see them and experience them before things turned sour. Poor Snake...

Kojima's making a huge AAA game with no shackles to his creativity, so if anything I'm even more excited for Death Stranding than I have been for anything Metal Gear in years. That series ended with MGS4; each subsequent game just burrowed down into some obscure nook of the overall lore that was of little consequence at best, and fucking stupid at worst. Kojima had been very vocal about wanting to be done with Metal Gear for well over a decade, so I'm over the moon that he's finally getting his chance.

I still can't believe that such a dedicated fanbase did miss
the massive spoiler that gives away the entire premise of the game in one of the earliest trailers of the game.
is just nuts.

To be fair, the theories started very early on, it's just nobody wanted to believe them because it was such a dumb idea :p

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm very sad that we will not get more [good] MGS...

...but at least we have buildup for Death Stranding to enjoy.

120v

as much as i miss metal gear i'm kind of glad kojima was forced to do something else. i honestly think he would've made MGS sequels into his 80s or something

How is Survive bullshit? Have you played the game already to tell why is bad or you are just assuming here?

?

I never said it was bad. I only said it was bullshit.

That's not what I want out of Metal Gear. If they weren't going to make a full sequel, I would have preferred they expand on the ideas of MGSV. This zombie co-op stuff is fucking lame.

Bravo well said. I feel the same. I love metal gear so much. I wish Konami would sell it to Kojima but they'd probably ask for an impossible price just to fck with him... I also agree with the OP, it was always in the back of your mind when they would announce a new metal gear after the latest one was out for a while and when it would be announced people would go crazy and then Kojima would go out and try to out-Kojima himself from his last metal gear announcement.. Good times and good memories. Glad I got to see them and experience them before things turned sour. Poor Snake...

Implying Kojima even wants the IP. He is probably more than happy he doesn't have to do more Metal Gear games.

Foffy

Banned

I believe people think it's bullshit because they have not shown the game as a stealth game, but a survival horror game. I mean, the idea of Survive could be retrofitted to work within 'canon' if Konami wanted, to make a game about MSF soldiers surviving between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, but they went with wormholes, alternate dimensions, and zombies as if they kind of wanted to distance themselves from MGSV proper but make the most of the engine and development costs that went into the game. Hell, they could have tried to make the zombies make "sense" in that
they're failed experiments of the Skulls and the parasites from TPP. I instead expect monsters and literal demons to be in the game.

If they really wanted the co-op experience that's all the rage, there was a much better way to make it work within Metal Gear by focusing on the way I think they should have made the game and not make it seem like a game using the IP and lacking the legacy of the IP really in its bloodstream. Even Rising had that because you can play a good part of that game as a stealth title, and actually had stealth mechanics forced upon you in VR and in the Wolf DLC.

We'll have to see if Konami wants to make a proper Metal Gear game post-Kojima. I actually imagine they would, because unlike Castlevania which only made money in the Americas, Metal Gear makes money worldwide, and they have a lot of themes and concepts from the franchise to work with. It would be quite easy to even make standalone stealth games set after Rising, focused on organizations wanting to recreate events from prior games, if they wanted a cop out. There's not much within Kojma's timeline that they can work with other than remakes, for the story is told, so they'll likely need to make standalone entries like the Acid games. For example, they could run with the
soldiers of the future are all Big Boss, entertaining the themes of Venom Snake -- and the player -- becoming the legacy of Big Boss just as much as Naked Snake was.

oldboss

You said it better than I ever could!

I love games, but now that MGS is over (no, Survive doesn't count), no game will ever make me as excited anymore. Sure I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU:2, Death Stranding, Spiderman, RDR:2 and others, but I'm not incredibly excited for any of them.

Let's hope Death Stranding changes my opinion though. I know it'll be amazing but it has to prove itself, I think.

Yep. There was MGS, and then there was the rest. I looked forward to other games because they'd make the wait for MGS easier, and I knew I was going to get to play MGS in the end.

Roufianos

I used to think about MGS everyday. I must have watched the E3 2013 trailer a few hundred times. I remember staying up until midnight for that countdown site for Rising / PW. Nothing compares to MGS.

I don't miss it too much though. V left a very bad taste in my mouth. Some of the biggest dissapointment I've ever experienced. Kojima was no longer interested in making the kind of Metal Gear game that I wanted.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To answer this thread honestly..... I love Metal Gear and I miss the days when it was active... but they really brought the series to a close and gave us basically a decade of forewarning that it would end.

Even as far back as E3 2006, we were told MGS4 would be the last game in the series, with Snake literally putting a gun in his mouth as if to say "he may or may not do this, but the series IS finished". Then MGS4 came and tied up every major loose-end in MGS1-3 and you could have ended the series there satisfyingly. That was 9 years ago.

Then there was a stay of execution: Peace Walker.

Then another one: MGR: Revengeance

And then the biggest comeback of all, another mainline MGS series that would fill in the gaps in Big Boss' later career, bringing us right up to MG1: Metal Gear Solid V

By all rights we should have been prepared for it to end in 2008. It's a miracle it continued onward to 2015. And now? I personally am ready to let go....

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A legit double post. Thought I was editing my last one lol.

belinho

The hype for MGS TPP is what made me become addicted to GAF. I barely visited the forum before, but from 2012 (i think) i just started coming daily. I'll keep coming.

Now, after playing TPP, i just feel empty. I even haven't played any MGS since 2015, and I used to do it once a year

kc44135

I miss Metal Gear too, OP. I wish the series would return, and I also liked MGSV more than most here, so I wouldn't mind another game in that style (Survive is a joke, so that doesn't really count). Also... Metal Gear 1-4 HD PS4 collection when?
Please don't say never. :(

I'll miss MGS, but I'm kinda glad it's finally over. The retcons were getting too much for the story. I honestly wish it ended at 3, but MGS4, 5 and PW all had great gameplay to make up for the nonsense.

Fardeen

i actually miss mgs with an actual good story and a good plot. mgs5 gameplay was awesome byut storywise sucked. witcher 3 and horizon are all open world games with lots of story content. its such a shame

man, the phantom pain is hitting me again. it hurts again to be a fan of MGS

Hopeford

I miss it, especially after 5.

5 was my favorite of the series - loved the lighter focus on plot and tighter gameplay. Would have loved to see more games like that.

I was done with Metal Gear's plot after 4 anyway, and not in a bad way - just felt like everything was concluded then, and everything that came after was just Kojima trying to fit in more games in the storyline. Which was neat, since he kept pushing the gameplay. Plus in a weird way after we lost Hayter, it was like...hm. I don't know. Snake and Metal Gear have always been Hayter to me, so when we lost his ridiculously over the top "METAL GEAR?" voice, the series just didn't appeal to me plot wise anymore.

At the same time, MGSV is one of my favorite games ever, and I just love it more and more every time I go back to it. I wish we had gotten more games like it.

Nothing at all like previous metal gears, for all the good and the bad that entails. I loved the tradeoff, but I can see why others wouldn't.

yuraya

There is nothing like Metal Gear hype. I remember MGSV spoiler thread had like 1 million views a week before the game came out. I remember playing it for nearly 60hrs in its first week of release. The most I've ever binged on any game. It was crazy and so much freaking fun. With Metal Gear you knew most of the characters from all the great trailers Kojima put out. It helps when such a long lasting franchise continues to follow the same storyline. There was so much speculation and theories.

Its not gonna be the same with Death Stranding unfortunately. We just don't know anything about those characters for now. I'm sure Kojima will overload the marketing when the time is right.

UrbanRats

I wish TPP was a better send off, but honestly, the expectations that franchises just need to go on forever is weird.

I think i'm more excited to see Kojima on something else, than to have another MGS.

Grinchy

Banned
I dont, Kojima can fuck off after 5.

From what I've read, he wasn't even allowed in the building for the last 6 months of its development. I have no doubt that Konami fucked the development up, not Kojima.

I bet Konami even pressured him to stop progress on the massive project and try to create a sellable game out of what would have just been the opening to the game (Ground Zeroes). I doubt he wanted to do that shit.

HeatBoost

I miss Metal Gear... Rising. Nier 2 was neat and all but the focus was clearly more on the world and the story than the actual fun of the combat and battles. And I really doubt that Granblue game is going to be much different, except having a much more boring setting and story. Hopefully Nintendo has something weird brewing. Either Wonderful 102 or Bayo 3 or something original I don't care.

As for Kojima and them... well I honestly felt Metal Gear Solid, from a story and character growth standpoint, stopped mattering to me with 4. That game was very silly. Not particularly in a good way. You could feel Kojima struggling against the shackles of the setting he had created for himself. Peace Walker didn't help. Vocaloid and Nana Mizuki songs during boss battles are still the nadir for my ability to enjoy the narrative of these games. 5 was very silly too but it was a lot of fun to play, so I liked it a lot, but it doesn't stick in my memory the way the first three (AND RISING) do.

I will say though, if that Mads Mikkelsen game actually manages to take the ideas that Kojima seemed to be moving forward on with MGSV (More story told through gameplay instead of everything being a cutscene or a codec call) it might be really good. But as it currently stands I have no idea what the hell that game is other than it has a bunch of celebrities in it and it looks like it's going to be gritty and military themed, with weird scifi shit.

Top Bottom