• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most probable N64 Mini Lineup

15 games

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Donkey Kony 64
F Zero X
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64 Crystal Shards
Bomberman 64
Wave Race 64

And either Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium 2, or Pokemon Puzzle League, perhaps 2 of those and no 1080.

The first 11 I'm 100% confident will be included, after that it gets hazy. I don't think we see any other rare games besides dk64 because of licensing with Microsoft. Maybe we see one of the terrible castlevania's, but I think they'll push for bomberman 64 cause of 4 player multiplayer. I doubt we'll see Mega Man Legends but that's a possibility.

Edit: I completely forgot Yoshi's story, probably kick out 1080 for it.

hqdefault.jpg

That's it.

That's the entire line-up.
Yeah, that's fine. I'm game.
Remixes of the soundtrack included, of course.

Celine

This is the list of the N64 games available on Virtual Console, I expect most of the games included in the N64 Mini to be part of it:

1080° Snowboarding: Likely especially if Nintendo want an all first-party selection.
Cruis'n USA: Not likely despite the series cult following in US.
F-Zero X: Surely included.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards: Surely included.
Mario Golf: Likely especially if Nintendo want an all first-party selection.
Mario Kart 64: Surely Included.
Mario Party 2: Surely Included.
Mario Tennis: Likely especially if Nintendo want an all first-party selection.
Paper Mario: Surely Included.
Pokémon Puzzle League: Very likely especially if Nintendo want an all first-party selection. Nintendo will include at least one Pokémon game with Pokémon Snap as the main candidate cause it outsold Puzzle League by a wide margin.
Pokémon Snap: Very likely especially if Nintendo want an all first-party selection. Nintendo will include at least one Pokémon game with Pokémon Snap as the main candidate cause it outsold Puzzle League by a wide margin.
Sin & Punishment: Likely candidate to be the package bonus if presented since game was never released outside Japan in origin.
Star Fox 64: Surely Included.
Super Mario 64: Surely Included.
Super Smash Bros.: Surely Included.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: Very likely especially if Nintendo want an all first-party selection.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Surely Included.
Wave Race 64: Surely Included.
Yoshi's Story: Surely Included.
Excitebike 64: Likely especially if Nintendo want an all first-party selection.
Donkey Kong 64: Surely Included.
Harvest Moon 64: see below reasoning.
Bomberman 64: see below reasoning.
Bomberman Hero: see below reasoning.
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber: see below reasoning.

* In italics the third-party games.

If Nintendo wants (so to not pay any license) they could easily hit 15-20 just with first-party games and maybe add a little bonus like OoT Master Quest (Likely candidate to be the package bonus if presented since game was never released on N64).
Some third-party games would be nice though:
Resident Evil 2 (Capcom), Megaman 64 (Capcom), Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (Konami), Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (Konami), Bomberman 64 (Konami through Hudson acquisition), Ridge Racer 64 (Namco for the series rights, game code is owned by Nintendo), Ogre Battle 64 (SquareEnix through Quest acquistion), Harvest Moon 64 (Natsume), Rayman 2 (Ubisoft) and of course some Rare stuff (Microsoft).

Personally I think it is unlikely to see third-party games, I expect at most 3-5 if any.
My reasoning on why some of the above third-party game may be included is the following (keep in mind that Nintendo is mostly interested in dealing with japanese Publishers):

Resident Evil 2: It's one of the most iconic game of the generation, the problem is that the age rating would be above 12 if included.

Megaman 64: It would make sense to include the game in the perspective to show the progression of the Megaman games from NES to early 3D.
The game doesn't have the same pedigree of the NES/SNES games though.

Castlevania Legacy of Darkness: It would make sense to include the game in the perspective to show the progression of the Castlevania games from NES to early 3D.
The game doesn't have the same pedigree of the NES/SNES games though.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon: The game has great cult following and it's wacky fun, too bad the series isn't very know outside Japan.
In fact Mystical Ninja is included in the japanese SNES Mini but not in the american and european version.

Bomberman 64: One of the most beloved game in the series and the multiplayer is up to 4 players.
The lack of any Super Bomberman on SNES Mini makes me think we won't see it.

Ridge Racer 64: One of the iconic arcade racing game of the generation. Ironically the shitty port of Cruis'n USA was the best selling arcade racing game of the generation in US (and Nintendo own the rights).

Ogre Battle 64: Niche game albeit with very good reputation. Might be chosen if Ninendo want to cater to hardcore RPG crowd.

Harvest Moon 64: Might be chosen to appeal to the crowd who enjoys Stardew Valley.

Rayman 2: Rayman is still a beloved character nowadays and Ubisoft is in good term with Nintendo.
If Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64 and eventually Banjo Kazooie are included it makes less likely to include another 3D platform game despite how good it is.

Rare stuff: Looking at the best selling for wich Microsoft/Rare own the rights GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing (for the Banjo and Conker characters), Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark are the more likely.
However GoldenEye is unfeasible due to the movie rights and Perfect Dark while a good fit to wide the genre selection would increase the age rating which I'm not sure Nintendo want.

redfox088

Banned
15 games

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Donkey Kony 64
F Zero X
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64 Crystal Shards
Bomberman 64
Wave Race 64

And either Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium 2, or Pokemon Puzzle League, perhaps 2 of those and no 1080.

The first 11 I'm 100% confident will be included, after that it gets hazy. I don't think we see any other rare games besides dk64 because of licensing with Microsoft. Maybe we see one of the terrible castlevania's, but I think they'll push for bomberman 64 cause of 4 player multiplayer. I doubt we'll see Mega Man Legends but that's a possibility.
A lot of people saying bomberman 64.....it probably was the best selling BM game on the console but including BM:SA or Hero is the safest hard Left I see the N64 Mini making...that or Pilot Wings.....and Paper Mario is a sure thing to me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anything is possible because everything has a price, but I don't think the price will be reasonable.

Microsoft just put out Rare Replay which has all the Rare games on one budget priced disc. I don't think they're under any illusions about how much these games are worth.

More to the point, they have a corporate culture very willing to work with other companies, and they aren't overly protective about their legacy games being exclusive to their hardware.

If Nintendo wants Rare games on an N64 mini, I'm sure they could make it happen with the current Microsoft.

Rlan

Did a post about this on Twitter:

DFQTp8OV0AAbPw1.jpg

Note: Forgot Smash Bros.

Based on their prior output this is a pretty good guess for a "20 game" system.

Personally, I think the "goal" for the N64 Mini is to actually sell additional controllers to the system to allow for 4 player. Therefore games like Mario Party 2 and Goldeneye would be musts.

In the case of a N64 mini, they would not push for games like Banjo Kazooie or other rare titles that MS own outright. However as the "special" item it would be Goldeneye. Nobody's doing anything with the Bond license right now, and while Microsoft previously tried with the GE remake and Nintendo was the issue - this time Nintendo has something to gain by having Goldeneye, so they're more likely to try to get it.

Konami's output on the system was pretty poor, but since they own Hudson stuff, Bomberman 64 would be my suggestion. I think Goemon would end up being a JP version only game like the SNES.

As mentioned, this is a "20 game" version. With the SNES mini being 10 games fewer than the NES, I feel Nintendo still feels like the "worth" is different for each system. I'd say that the N64 would be more like 10 or 15 games, and more focused on multiplayer.

A lot of people saying bomberman 64.....it probably was the best selling BM game on the console but including BM:SA or Hero is the safest hard Left I see the N64 Mini making...that or Pilot Wings.....and Paper Mario is a sure thing to me.

An n64 classic is getting maybe 2-3 at max 3rd party games. Bomberman 64, maybe a rareware game (banjo kazooie), and Castlevania are really the only 3 I think have a serious chance of making a 15-20 game roster. Nintendo is likely to push 4 player functionality with an n64 classic so Bomberman 64 would get the edge as it's arguably the best 3rd party multiplayer game that isn't m rated.

Shouldn't need much debate, considering that N64 has like 5 noteworthy games.

Rocket: Robot on Wheels.
Rogue Squadron.
Battle for Naboo.
Indiana Jones.
And of course, Wonder Project J2.

In all seriousness, how do people not know about the N64's fantastic third party library? Especially all the excellent Japan-only titles? And the awesome N64 DD titles that were never released here?

Mugy

If rare colaborate (doubt it). This should be like 20 games...

Like:

Nintendo:

Mario 64
Pokémon Puzzle League
Mario Tennis
Zelda OoT
Mario Kart 64
Smash Bros
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2

Rare:

Perfect Dark
Banjo Tooie
Conker Bads Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64

Others:

Doom 64
Ogre Battle 64
Sin & Punishment
Harvest Moon 64

Did a post about this on Twitter:

DFQTp8OV0AAbPw1.jpg

Note: Forgot Smash Bros.

Based on their prior output this is a pretty good guess for a "20 game" system.

Personally, I think the "goal" for the N64 Mini is to actually sell additional controllers to the system to allow for 4 player. Therefore games like Mario Party 2 and Goldeneye would be musts.

In the case of a N64 mini, they would not push for games like Banjo Kazooie or other rare titles that MS own outright. However as the "special" item it would be Goldeneye. Nobody's doing anything with the Bond license right now, and while Microsoft previously tried with the GE remake and Nintendo was the issue - this time Nintendo has something to gain by having Goldeneye, so they're more likely to try to get it.

Konami's output on the system was pretty poor, but since they own Hudson stuff, Bomberman 64 would be my suggestion. I think Goemon would end up being a JP version only game like the SNES.

As mentioned, this is a "20 game" version. With the SNES mini being 10 games fewer than the NES, I feel Nintendo still feels like the "worth" is different for each system. I'd say that the N64 would be more like 10 or 15 games, and more focused on multiplayer.

Seems somewhat likely, although I just can't see Goldeneye being on here. Probably replace it with Smash Bros, as mentioned above.

I also feel like they'd stick OoT Master quest in here as well, the version that's on the Gamecube Wind Waker disc. Make it some kind of bonus 21st game.

Neither nes or snes classic had m rated games correct? I doubt the n64 classic would have any even if rare games weren't in limbo.

A N64 mini with no 007 is pointless
One might be able to potentially wrangle a deal with EA and Danjaq for the excellent The World is Not Enough, but in reality, that's a legal tangle EA probably want nothing to do with. (Also, Eurocom went bankrupt, and it's possible they owned some parts of the game.)

As far as I can tell, all the James Bond games have been pulled from every digital distribution platform over the years. The IP is a nightmare, and a very good warning sign of how bad the glorious digital DRM-ridden future will be for us.

What really cheeses my crackers is that Eurocom did complete a PC port of Goldeneye: Reloaded before they went bankrupt. Their version of GoldenEye was a really good game in its own way. Completely different to Rareware's, but Eurocom always did their own thing.

you pretty much answered your own question
The Japan-only N64 games are just the icing on the cake. The N64 had so many awesome 3rd party titles in a range of genres. There's this baffling "no 3rd party support" myth that seems self-perpetuating.

Why would both not be included?

Expansion pack issues with whatever emulator they use in the n64 classic. It likley won't be an issue though since both it and dk64 have been ported to vc's before. The only real chance is if Nintendo only does 15 and wants the line up to be multiplayer heavy with as few single player only games as possible.

Hey You Pikachu better be on it. That's all I'm saying.

Edit: Really they could add Pokemon Puzzle League which was great for both single player and multiplayer. And WWF 2000 or whatever it's called.

Phediuk

There is literally zero chance of this thing having M-rated games.

There also won't be any licensed games (NES and SNES Classic don't have any.)

And there definitely won't be more than 15 games. Probably more like 12.

3 third-party games, maybe 4, that's it.

And I doubt Nintendo wants to pay Microsoft royalties for the Rare stuff, though I guess it's still somewhat possible.

Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Zelda MM
Yoshi's Story
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Kirby 64
Super Smash Bros
Pokemon Snap
Paper Mario
Bomberman 64
Rayman 2
Wave Race 64
Sin & Punishment as the "surprise" game, perhaps?

That seems like a high;y plausible 15-game lineup to me. If they're stingier, take out the 3rd-party stuff.

grim-tales

I'd like:
Yoshi's Story
Paper Mario
DK64
Mario 64
Smash Bros.

(If something can be worked out for these):
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People are creating these big game lists. Didn't you notice how SNES mini has fewer games then NES mini? I wouldn't expect N64 mini to have more then a dozen games if that.

Celine

There is literally zero chance of this thing having M-rated games.

There also won't be any licensed games (NES and SNES Classic don't have any.)

And there definitely won't be more than 15 games. Probably more like 12.

3 third-party games, maybe 4, that's it.

And I doubt Nintendo wants to pay Microsoft royalties for the Rare stuff, though I guess it's still somewhat possible.

Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Zelda MM
Yoshi's Story
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Kirby 64
Super Smash Bros
Pokemon Snap
Paper Mario
Bomberman 64
Rayman 2
Wave Race 64
Sin & Punishment as the "surprise" game, perhaps?

That seems like a high;y plausible 15-game lineup to me. If they're stingier, take out the 3rd-party stuff.
Nintendo won't pick up third-party games like Rayman 2 and Bomberman 64 over classic Nintendo series like Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, StarFox and F-Zero.

For some reason, a lot of people are unaware that there was a 2001 Japan-only Bomberman 64. (Which actually got a fan translation recently.) It's a completely different game to the 1997 Bomberman 64.

bomberman-64-2001-japanese-arcade-2.png

https://retrogameexplorer.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/bomberman-64-nintendo-64-japan-2001/b

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2755/

TBH, that's why this N64 Mini discussion makes me kinda sad. It should have games like this, but instead it will have a predictable assortment of N64 games everyone knows about, thus further cementing the N64's reputation of "no third party" and "no 2D".

Roelatie

Why is nobody saying San Francisco rush? Is it a royalty problem?

And is it possible mother 64 Will be onze of the games like starfox 2?

Matticers

It would be a little hard to release a N64 mini without Goldeneye or Perfecf Dark but I think they would find a way to get one of them on there. Banjo would be nice too but I don't know if they would be able to get two of those three. Then again, they seem to have a decent relationship with Microsoft right now so who knows.

Celine

You guys always forget Pilot Wings. My god
PilotWings 64 was never released on Virtual Console and the original PilotWings didn't make the cut for SNES Mini.
It's very unlikely that PilotWings 64 will be included in the N64 Mini selection.
It's unfortunate since the game is good and was very ambitious for when it was released (seriously Little States are very large considering the 3D world size in the console games of those years).

redfox088

Banned
Why would both not be included?
Price. This thing needs to be <$100 MSRP... a 3 digit price for 20 year old video game hardware will be a marketing nightmare. If a second controller is include and the list of games have to be widdled down I believe a title that is a literal asset clone of another game on the list would be first on the chopping block. Not saying it's impossible though.

Petrae

Why is nobody saying San Francisco rush? Is it a royalty problem?

Midway is dead. Unless WBIE picked up the license when it looted Midway's carcass, there's nobody to go to in order to make RUSH happen.

Midway, THQ, and Acclaim all being gone creates a serious problem, since the three publishers were the biggest third-party players that the N64 had.

Hubble

Nintendo forgot it in the snes classic, explain to me how it'll get into a 10-15 game n64 mini list and what game are you excluding for it?

Pilot Wings became much more notable with Nintendo 64 than SNES because of the controller. The game complemented the 64 controller perfectly. It will be a must game in the list.

Cepheus

I will only buy an N64 Mini if it comes with the original Mother 3.

It'll probably just have the standard Nintendo lineup with no Rare games.

People are talking about there not being enough games to fill it- Can you imagine a Wii U Mini? Mario Kart, Zelda, and Splatoon.

Celine

If Nintendo decide to go for 15 games + 1 bonus I think they will choose only first-party games.
I believe the most likely selection will be:

Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Golf or Mario Tennis (Mario Golf sold slightly more)
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Pokémon Snap
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (may risk to be excluded if OoT is considered to be enough Zelda)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64 or 1080° Snowboarding (Wave Race 64 is more likely)
Yoshi's Story

Bonus:
Sin & Punishment or less likely Ocarina of Time Master Quest

First-party games that won't make the cut despite being available on VC:
Cruis'n USA, Excitebike 64, Pokémon Puzzle League, one between Wave Race 64 and 1080° Snowboarding and one between Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

If Nintendo decide to go with 20 games or 20 games + 1 bonus they could still make an all first-party selection by including Excitebike 64, Pokémon Puzzle League, one between Wave Race 64 and 1080° Snowboarding and one between Mario Golf and Mario Tennis to the above list.

EDIT:
In the case of 20 games or 20 games + 1 bonus I might see Nintendo picking up 1-2 third-party games like Bomberman 64 or Ogre Battle 64.

Top Bottom