• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores - March 07

WastingPenguins said:
[insert long-winded rant about why 10 point review scales are the worst thing that ever happened to video games].

The content of egm reviews is crap justasmuch. So although 6-10 are technically above average, any egm review for games scoring between 5-7.5 reads as the usual grade school conotation that we associate with those numbers.

Mashing

read: "success" means $$$hats

Edit: And a BIG WTF at Guitar Hero 3 being developed by Neversoft. I mean what the hell are they thinking? GH has been a cultral phenomenon, so they want to go and change the goddamn the developer? That's BAD BUSINESS.

Carlisle

Wii Play doomed confirmed?

I should have known something was up when they packaged a $50 game with a $40 controller and didn't change the price.

Busty

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Sucker punch is working on an adventure game or maybe action adventure. They have kept the project under wraps for at least 2 years. It might be PS3 exclusive depending on their relationship with Sony

It's my understanding that it is a PS3 exclusive as Sucker Punch have signed a three game deal with Sony similar to the likes of Evolution and Factor 5.

Like Doom Bringer said, it's an action adventure title with a heavy online play element, well that was all correct as of a year or so ago, but who knows.........

Muppet345

Carlisle said:
Wii Play doomed confirmed?

I should have known something was up when they packaged a $50 game with a $40 controller and didn't change the price.
?

We knew it was just a crappy collection of minigames to sell to people buying another controller. I'd probably get it if I needed another one, because, hey, $10

Kusagari

GDJustin said:
Got this PM from 006_Trevelyan:

Edit: He just typed up the rumors for me, as well:

*Microsoft paid capcom alot for Dead Rising 2 exclusive.
*Neversoft will develop the next Guitar Hreo
*Sly 4 won't be sucker punches new PS3 game
*Square Enix whipping up new PSP titles because of it's "success"
*PS3 exclusives pushed back or going to 360 for more money
*Capcom bringing games to PlayStation Network, including remake of Street Fighter 2
*Unreal Tournament 2007 heading to 360 Also

Didin't EGM have a rumor like 2 months ago that Dead Rising 2 would come to PS3 over 360?

Damn, people LOVE them some Phoenix Wright. Perhaps a little too much. I can't see how anyone would expect higher scores for that game.

whatdidyousay said:
Damn, people LOVE them some Phoenix Wright. Perhaps a little too much. I can't see how anyone would expect higher scores for that game.

No I really don't expect high scores for PW but it would be nice to see someone score it correctly :)

It was easily one of the best games I played last year.

Carlisle

whatdidyousay said:

Agreed, sadly.

I loved PW, but by the end of the game, I was getting bored with it. There's only so much you can do to freshen up a game with that kind of formula.

MC Safety

MiamiWesker said:
No one upset about the Phoenix Wright scores?! I guess it was expected but come on guys, where is the PW love.

There's nothing to be upset about. Justice for All is a good game. It's just not the brilliant masterwork everyone's made it out to be.

Kusagari

whatdidyousay said:

Phoenix Wright isin't the kind of game that I would expect to get high scores. Which is why Hotel Dusk getting such a high score piques my interest. Very unexpected from EGM.

Kusagari said:
Phoenix Wright isin't the kind of game that I would expect to get high scores. Which is why Hotel Dusk getting such a high score piques my interest. Very unexpected from EGM.

Yup. These kind of games don't get uber high scores, so I'm satisfied. I know Trace Memory (Another Code) got fairly average reviews and I still loved it.

Very surprised by the Lost Planet scores, but I guess I deserve that, as the hype has all been about the graphics and hype is always magnified for a pretty console-exclusive game. I'm sure it would have gotten 1/10th the attention if it had been multiplatform.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I knew Cing had it in them to make an awesome game Another Code was rushed and it shows even with that it had some very clever puzzles that's why I knew Hotel Dusk would turn out to be great.

I don't know why people continue to put stock into review scores, especially from EGM, who are mega sloppy with their reviews. If you can't figure out whether you want LP or not after having played two levels from the game and tasting its online, then a review isn't going to help you.

Mifune

Mehmber
Ignatz Mouse said:
Very surprised by the Lost Planet scores, but I guess I deserve that, as the hype has all been about the graphics and hype is always magnified for a pretty console-exclusive game. I'm sure it would have gotten 1/10th the attention if it had been multiplatform.

Yeah, the hype had nothing to do with people enjoying the demo. Nothing at all.

That would be impossible.

Ace Attorney 2 will probably mostly appeal to fans of the first game. It's not the sort of game that will have a 90+ average on Gamerankings. Graphical text adventures about magic are their own little niche, but it seems to be working well so far for Capcom, so good for them.

Mifune said:
Yeah, the hype had nothing to do with people enjoying the demo. Nothing at all.

People enjoying a game has very little to do with how much hype it gets, especially in online forums.

Consdier for a moment that my comment is not about the game's quality, but the tendencies of videogame afficiandos.

Busty

Banned
GDJustin said:

But....but... there aren't any exclusives this gen....cause....cause Capcom want to expand the market... and.... and... it's too expensive.....

... oh unless of course it's on either the Wii, the PC or the PS3 then it's bound to be ported to or made an exclusive for the 360. Pffftttt.

GDJustin said:
**Square Enix whipping up new PSP titles because of it's "success".

New titles? I assume that 'tweaked' ports of PSOne games falls into that catergory, but for a Japanese perspective it's still a sizeable vote of confidence, considering it's true of course.

GDJustin said:
*PS3 exclusives pushed back or going to 360 for more money.

I've read that sentence a least a dozen times and I have no idea what it means? Pushed back? Why to accomodate the PS3 user base as it gets bigger? Then why would the solution to that be releasing on the 360 when they could have adopted that philosophy to begin with? What, are these publishers new to the game? Pfffftt.

I don't buy it. It either is, or it isn't. Black and white, simple as that.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
zomg @ hotel dusk

have the japanese finally made a good graphic adventure, or is this just another overpraised ds game? i suppose i'll find out -- trace memory wasn't bad, in any case.

Link316

Banned
- if true hope its just a timed exclusive, Capcom needs a new franchise so it'll be stupid if they limit the potential of this game by only having it on the 360

*Neversoft will develop the next Guitar Hreo
- sadly this could end up happening cause its Activision, all they have to do is add new songs so they can't mess it up too bad :(

*Square Enix whipping up new PSP titles because of it's "success"
- remakes of FFI-FFXI on the way :D

*Capcom bringing games to PlayStation Network, including remake of Street Fighter 2
- SOLD! :)

Beezy

:O

Hotel Dusk is better tham Pheonix Wright? I was planning on getting both of them anyway, but I'm still surprised by this.

sphinx

the piano man
according to the DS screenshot thread, Hotel dusk is being published by nintendo.

That makes me kind of sad because if it turns into a braing-age/nintendogs success, it will still have "3rd parties don't sale on nintendo hardware" trolls on the fence.

anyway, a 10 for a new IP on a DS game???? not even elite beat agents, IIRC.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Without reading the actual reviews, why are so many putting so much into these scores? Since when is the score good enough to decide. Just because LP got a 6.5 doesn't mean the 8 and 7.5 are supposed to be ignored.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
How long is LP's single player?

I think I read in the official thread that it's pretty short, somewhere between 6-8 hours. Can anyone confirm?

I'm still on the fence about this--I wanted a big, dumb action game to play soon because the seriousness of Rainbow Six is giving me anxiety attacks. Goddamn terrorism.

Beezy said:
:O

Hotel Dusk is better tham Pheonix Wright? I was planning on getting both of them anyway, but I'm still surprised by this.

EGM doesn't like PW.

And I bet Jennifer gave it that 6.0. She did with the last one.

Kevar said:
Also, the cases in the game are GBA ports, so there's nothing that uses the DS in an interesting way like Case 5 in Ace Attorney 1 did. I think a full game that used the DS would score a lot higher.

Episode 5 wasn't that great. It may use the touch screen, but I'm glad that they didn't do an Episode 5 for JfA, which would just eat into GS4's quality.

And can we safely put the Square Enix PSP rumor into the "Nintendo is going third party" pile?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
can we at least have a little bit the comments of the Hotel Dusk review please?

DenogginizerOS said:
Without reading the actual reviews, why are so many putting so much into these scores? Since when is the score good enough to decide. Just because LP got a 6.5 doesn't mean the 8 and 7.5 are supposed to be ignored.

Probably because this game kept getting trotted out in the 360 vs PS3 debates, adn a lot of expectations were loaded onto it. Again, if it were multiplayer, there would have been less hype and less reaction now.

And for all of that, judging from the reactions on the offical thread, it's probably a really good game that simply lack universal appeal. And another reason why game reviews that use scores (virtaully all of them, now) suck. Game reviews should be like movie reviews, where even if there is a scale of some sort, the text is what carries it. The blurbs-with-scores format is the worst of all.

theBishop

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Have you seen the Square Enix DS sales numbers?

Please show me Nintendo's exclusive contract with Square.

it is possible for a 3rd party to support more than one platform

Expected the low PW scores... It's a great story, with a bit of game thrown into the mix (Can't wait 'till four where the gameplay is truly fleshed out). Still though, one of my must have '07 titles.

And whoa at the HD scores, can't wait to try it out. Another Code was alright, can't wait to try this one out.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hotel Dusk, awesome. My most wanted game for DS. :)

And about Neversoft doing Guitar Hero - assuming it's true, for some reason I'm not THAT worried about them screwing it up. I mean, it's not a very complex game at its core so there's not much to screw up in that regard.
What they could screw up are the actual notes in the songs not being as fun as in previous Guitar Hero game I guess. But then, judging from the number of people who seem to consider Guitar Hero 2 vastly inferior to Guitar Hero 1 because of the bad song list, covers not being good enough, the songs not being as fun to play etc etc...it seems Harmonix already know how to mess up their own formula anyway.
Not so much in my opinion though, since I really enjoy GH2. :p

Top Bottom