• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Ascheroth

I see.
I'm planning on doing a New Game+ run to see all the bonding events and stuff, I'll have to keep that in mind.
And I'm also curious how long a New Game+ run will take while playing on Easy with turboing through everything :)

I see.
I'm planning on doing a New Game+ run to see all the bonding events and stuff, I'll have to keep that in mind.
And I'm also curious how long a New Game+ run will take while playing on Easy with turboing through everything :)
ive seen a CS2 speed run that was 6 hours on PS3. Literal speed run though

Ascheroth

So here are my more in-depth thoughts about Cold Steel 1, shamelessly cross-posting from the OT (there shouldn't be any spoilers):

Yeah, I think this is the weakest Trails games I've played for me as well (I've played the entirety of TitS). A direct comparison is probably only fair if you compare it to FC, which I'm (mostly) going to do.

In general, I think some parts are better in CS while others other are weaker.

The battle system feels like a natural evolution from TitS. You still have your positioning, Arts, Crafts and turn boni and turn manipulation. The weapon type/weakness system is a nice addition as are the Combat Links.

The quartz system changes on the other hand evoke rather mixed feelings from me. I really like Master Quartz', it's another form of progression and getting one to max level really feels worth it.
The other stuff is rather ehhh, though. It feels more streamlined at first glance, but all you're really doing is trading a huge list of usable Arts to a huge list of Quartz. Your party composition will often change, so you're going to be swapping them Quartz a lot, and somehow it's more of a hassle than in TitS the 3rd, which has even more playable characters.
I also found myself not really using many Arts at all throughout the game, and I played on Hard. I really couldn't be arsed to test every new Art so I usually just stuck to what I got from Master Quartz', some healing, some support and some attack Arts, while mostly just using Stat and Status Quartz and using normal attacks and Crafts 90% of the time in battle.

World building is sublime again, pretty much no complaints there. Lots of interesting places to visit and lore to learn.
Story progression feels similar to FC, starting slow and steady you get to know the world and its inhabitants and events slowly that slowly escalate and escalate until it culminates into an explosion of awesomeness that blasts your jaw to the ground while you scream internally (and externally) like a little child and then it's over and GIVE ME THAT SECOND GAME NOW.

The biggest weakness, and what ultimately makes it fall below FC is the character writing. Rean isn't bad, but he just can't measure up to Estelle or Kevin and the supporting cast neither. While some of them start off as pretty irritating there is nice character development and growth and I liked all of them by the end of the game.
Ultimately what hampers the game the most is probably the 'choose your own waifu/husbando' elements. I don't really dislike that, but it definitely hampers story possibilities and character writing. It's fine for one-off games like Persona for example, but Trails is such a huge interconnected series that I feel it definitely benefits from pre-established relationships.
I don't know how things are going to be in the next games, but I don't think there are that many options, either:
- Falcom chooses a 'canon pairing', which will make all your choices kinda meaningless
- Falcom writes events for all possible pairings, which will mean things have to be more general and relationship can never really become an important element of the story, also kinda devaluing your choices :/

On the other hand, I think Cold Steel's structure allows for better NPC storylines. Having the school as a hub means you can have many ongoing side-storylines over the course of the entire game instead of only per chapter. I know the students of Thors as good as - if not even better - than the main characters at this point. I know their struggles, their hobbies, their friends, their lives.

World building is sublime again, pretty much no complaints there. Lots of interesting places to visit and lore to learn.
Story progression feels similar to FC, starting slow and steady you get to know the world and its inhabitants and events slowly that slowly escalate and escalate until it culminates into an explosion of awesomeness that blasts your jaw to the ground while you scream internally (and externally) like a little child and then it's over and GIVE ME THAT SECOND GAME NOW..

I feel like that storyline and worldbuilding in Cold Steel is immediately more intriguing compared to Sky by virtue of Erebonia having classism tension which is made clear to be building up to something right from the very first few chapters. In comparison, Liberl is made up to generally be this perfect country of which the biggest problem is "maybe it's too peaceful".

Ascheroth

I feel like that storyline and worldbuilding in Cold Steel is immediately more intriguing compared to Sky by virtue of Erebonia having classism tension which is made clear to be building up to something right from the very first few chapters. In comparison, Liberl is made up to generally be this perfect country of which the biggest problem is "maybe it's too peaceful".
That's true. There is an immediately noticeable conflict in Cold Steel whereas you have the cozy adventure vibe in the beginning of Sky, that doesn't really give you an idea on how things will eventually develop.
It does make for a better immediate hook.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
So I've been contemplating getting ToCS II on Vita like a crazy person. It is my understanding that personal relationships starting in the first game continue in the second one only if you import an appropriate save. Does ToCS II have any new (b)romantic interests that are accessible even by people without an old save? Claire, Irina, Sharon, Victor or Neithardt would be cool.

Thud

So I've been contemplating getting ToCS II on Vita like a crazy person. It is my understanding that personal relationships starting in the first game continue in the second one only if you import an appropriate save. Does ToCS II have any new (b)romantic interests that are accessible even by people without an old save? Claire, Irina, Sharon, Victor or Neithardt would be cool.

I believe you start with link level 2 instead of 1. And a few flashbacks with the person you chose. Still you have the chance to turn that around and pick someone completely different.

There are new playable characters you can bond with. You'll find out which ones by playing. Some characters are preoccupied, due to story reasons.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Damn does the SSS have good chemistry together. Lloyd is probably my favorite hero out of Estelle, Lloyd, and Rean (Kevin is kind of his own thing...) Sure, he's the most vanilla, but he reminds me of an old school Grandia character, in a way.

all of the romance is in CS2 not CS1. New options sortve become available in that regard, but no real surprises (so no one you listed), and one obscure option is removed. Minor ass spoilers to detail this
Alfin gets added as an option, there is no way to hang out with Elise

Save import gets you increased starting link level, and additional dialog in several scenes in the first half.

You can choose a different relationship in CS2 than who you hung out with at the end of CS1 regardless of import.

Thud

Damn does the SSS have good chemistry together. Lloyd is probably my favorite hero out of Estelle, Lloyd, and Rean (Kevin is kind of his own thing...) Sure, he's the most vanilla, but he reminds me of an old school Grandia character, in a way.

So many barriers to get over.

Lloyd is pretty awesome from the start. His cassanova skills are bit more natural. Rean always feels emphasizing a bit too much, which borders on cringe.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I believe you start with link level 2 instead of 1. And a few flashbacks with the person you chose. Still you have the chance to turn that around and pick someone completely different.

There are new playable characters you can bond with. You'll find out which ones by playing. Some characters are preoccupied, due to story reasons.
all of the romance is in CS2 not CS1. New options sortve become available in that regard, but no real surprises (so no one you listed), and one obscure option is removed. Minor ass spoilers to detail this
Alfin gets added as an option, there is no way to hang out with Elise

Save import gets you increased starting link level, and additional dialog in several scenes in the first half.

You can choose a different relationship in CS2 than who you hung out with at the end of CS1 regardless of import.
Thank you for your replies. I'll consider getting the Vita version in this case, as we probably aren't going to see the PC port until December at the very earliest.

One other thing I'm curious about: have Falcom mentioned how they're going to handle continuity in ToCS III? Suikoden III, a PS2 game, allowed the player to import a save from Suikoden II, a PSOne game, so cross-platform save imports aren't without precedent, but those systems used memory cards instead of HDDs. Cloud saves are a thing, but they are locked behind PS Plus, right?

Thank you for your replies. I'll consider getting the Vita version in this case, as we probably aren't going to see the PC port until December at the very earliest.

One other thing I'm curious about: have Falcom mentioned how they're going to handle continuity in ToCS III? Suikoden III, a PS2 game, allowed the player to import a save from Suikoden II, a PSOne game, so cross-platform save imports aren't without precedent, but those systems used memory cards instead of HDDs. Cloud saves are a thing, but they are locked behind PS Plus, right?
they said they were looking into the potential of save imports, but I dont remember them every saying anything after that.

I'm sure someone that pays more attention could answer better than me.

Cloud saves wouldnt be an issue though, as the game uses its own version of cloud saves for cross saves between vita and PS3. Uploading cross save could be a potential way for PS4 CS3 to gain access to Vita/PS3 CS2 save.

Jiraiza

Randy and Tio have top banter. Aside from the cringey harem MC lines, Lloyd's a pretty rad guy. I feel Elie's like the epitome of vanilla, but she's nice, too.

Zero, Chapter 3, Final Day:
Haven't been able to play much these past few days thanks to moving (hopefully that doesn't screw up my scheduling to finish before CS3), but
Kilika and Lechter showing up on the boat ride for the black market auction; phew, I can feel the exciting stuff coming already. The reference to Olivier was on point, since the first thing I thought when Lechter was playing the guitar and singing openly on the boat deck was literally something Olivier would do.
Unfortunately only got off the boat and stopped there thanks to the sidequests taking up most of my time (and NPC talking), so I'll finally be able to move on with the story today and be done with this horrific chapter (because of all the NPC dialogue updates).

Rhapsody

Banned
I really like Lloyd, harem lines and all. The party responses to them are amazing too. lol

Plus Kakihara's voice made him extra likable for me.

Zero, Chapter 3,:
I thought it was
stressful with so much happening in so little time and with so many things to do, but amazing nonetheless.

However, it's true that I feel that Zero and Ao have moments where they could have been better without one or two sidequest. Then again, most of the time you're not required to do them.
From what I saw in guides, they added quests in Evo in those moments were I was starting to feel exhausted from sidetracking, so it maybe be worse in those cases.

I've finally spent serious time with 3rd, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Starting with the jade corridor is kind of a disservice to the game IMO, because it really comes across as a weird dungeon gaiden game at first.

Time for media blackout soon! Sorry Kiseki threads, you're gonna disappear from my subs for a while.

NT6GGLh.gif

jb1234

3rd: It's very merciful for them to include Retry (Easy) options for the
Cassius and Loewe
fights. They're MASSIVE difficulty spikes and I don't play these games for their combat systems.

Already starting to get worried that this game will end like SC did for me, with bosses who all have way too much HP and take forever to kill.

Nyoro SF

I will print out every frame of the trailer, find your most commonly used routes, and tape them along the way. No escape.

I can only imagine waking up in the morning and seeing a 8x blown up shot of Mecha Osborne fighting against Lloyd piloting the Mishy Knight on my ceiling.

3rd: It's very merciful for them to include Retry (Easy) options for the
Cassius and Loewe
fights. They're MASSIVE difficulty spikes and I don't play these games for their combat systems.

Already starting to get worried that this game will end like SC did for me, with bosses who all have way too much HP and take forever to kill.

it wont, and be a man and beat em on normal
i did

preta

The thing that Falcom was teasing was actually a sampler of the mini soundtrack CD, rather than a trailer for the game proper. It definitely seems Falcom really is grooming Mitsuo Singa to be their next main arranger seeing as his fingerprints are apparent in the first three tracks, not to mention the other vocal track from an earlier PV and the song that appeared in the very first trailer before that.

If you haven't finished CS2, probably refrain from watching the video, although you can still listen to it no problem.

Gu4n

The thing that Falcom was teasing was actually a sampler of the mini soundtrack CD, rather than a trailer for the game proper. It definitely seems Falcom really is grooming Mitsuo Singa to be their next main arranger seeing as his fingerprints are apparent in the first three tracks, not to mention the other vocal track from an earlier PV and the song that appeared in the very first trailer before that.

If you haven't finished CS2, probably refrain from watching the video, although you can still listen to it no problem.
Ouch, that vocal track isn't really doing it for me. I also hope that the second one isn't the normal battle track. I do like the last three tracks, so I don't think I can be friends with Singa.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Cloud saves wouldnt be an issue though, as the game uses its own version of cloud saves for cross saves between vita and PS3. Uploading cross save could be a potential way for PS4 CS3 to gain access to Vita/PS3 CS2 save.
Thank you. I did not know that Sony allowed developers to implement their own cloud functionality.

Instead of getting ToCS II (the Vita version costs more than three times as much as ToCS PC here in Russia, and spending this much is kind of hard to justify less than half a year away from the release of the PC port), I ultimately decided to replay ToCS on Nightmare without any NG+ bonuses. The only meaningful difference so far is the prologue boss' ability to one-shot full HP Elliot with Aerial. Things should get smoother once I get Fortuna.

That said, there's something weird about the portrayal of Machias in the prologue that I've noticed. Minor prologue spoilers:
Machias displays plenty of casual sexism at the beginning of the game. He thinks that female members of Class VII require protection, he is particularly frustrated by getting the second place in the entrance exams because it is a girl who surpassed him, and he gets really confused when talking to Laura because his hatred for nobles and paternalistic condescension towards women come into conflict. Then this trait just disappears. There's no big character development moment that explains this. Machias simply stops saying things like that.
Is there an optional scene that I've missed that sheds some light on this change in behavior? Maybe a bonding event with one of the classmates that Machias goes on a field study with in Chapter 1?

so I finished the 3rd. Overall I never felt it got past the feeling of being forced addition to the series to cover gaps in story and release, and the pacing was just awkward with trying to balance some absurdly long door scenes with gameplay progression.

Still I overall just enjoyed it, just less than rest of the series.

Its strongest moments though are easily the strongest amongst all the localized trails games.

This spoiler is spoiling the fuck out of the game, beware.
Chapter 7's reveals weren't actually a surprise. I basically called it that Kevin killed Rufina when his stigma awakened by like chapter 3 or something. However the way it was handled was so perfectly brutal and emotional. Watching kevin's facade unravel and Ries strength as she supported him in spite of the information. She was such a brilliant character and easily one of my favorites in the series now. Her and kevin's relationship was absolutely fantastic as it culminated in her forcing him to share the burden with her at the end.

Star Door 15 then....that was rough. It was simple to figure out what was going on, and it starts with Renne getting called out so you knew what was going to happen to her eventually...but as the personalities unravel and you realize they were all her. Fucking arrgggh. The storytelling was well done and in how it just makes you feel fucking sick.

The ending was mostly just fun farewells until it got to Estelle. She continues to be amazing, and watching her breakthrough to Renne as Joshua fails a bit was pretty fantastic. Godspeed to those two.

Neoweee

So is SC the one game in the series where it just isn't even worth starting on Hard (and definitely not Nightmare)? I'll be finishing up FC on Hard this weekend and starting SC, but I hear Hard is actually really and consistently Hard. FC Hard turned into White Gehenna: The Game about ten hours ago.

PK Gaming

So is SC the game in the series where it just isn't even worth starting on Hard (and definitely not Nightmare)? I'll be finishing up FC on Hard this weekend and starting SC, but I hear Har is actually really and consistently Hard. FC Hard turned into White Gehenna: The Game about ten hours ago.

SC on hard isn't even hard, it's downright tedious. The game wasn't balanced around it, and it shows. Boss encounters are a slog. Boss encounters that drain HP are a mega slog. And you will get your ass kicked by every optional boss.

It's not worth it.

Jiraiza

so I finished the 3rd. Overall I never felt it got past the feeling of being forced addition to the series to cover gaps in story and release, and the pacing was just awkward with trying to balance some absurdly long door scenes with gameplay progression.

Still I overall just enjoyed it, just less than rest of the series.

Its strongest moments though are easily the strongest amongst all the localized trails games.

This spoiler is spoiling the fuck out of the game, beware.
Chapter 7's reveals weren't actually a surprise. I basically called it that Kevin killed Rufina when his stigma awakened by like chapter 3 or something. However the way it was handled was so perfectly brutal and emotional. Watching kevin's facade unravel and Ries strength as she supported him in spite of the information. She was such a brilliant character and easily one of my favorites in the series now. Her and kevin's relationship was absolutely fantastic as it culminated in her forcing him to share the burden with her at the end.

Star Door 15 then....that was rough. It was simple to figure out what was going on, and it starts with Renne getting called out so you knew what was going to happen to her eventually...but as the personalities unravel and you realize they were all her. Fucking arrgggh. The storytelling was well done and in how it just makes you feel fucking sick.

The ending was mostly just fun farewells until it got to Estelle. She continues to be amazing, and watching her breakthrough to Renne as Joshua fails a bit was pretty fantastic. Godspeed to those two.

Time to hit up the Crossbell games for the conclusion to Renne, Estelle, and Joshua's story!

Neoweee

aaaaaaaaaaaand Cold Steel 3 is looking pretty awesome. Totally looks like they're continuing some of the best gameplay ideas from CS2. This week's updates were easily the most exciting they've shown off so far, for me.

Bowlie

Banned
I finished Second Chapter a few days back and I've been mulling over it. I think it's better than FC, and its highs are waaay higher than FC's, and I loved all but the ending.

This game only cemented more my feelings that Estelle is my favorite protagonist in any RPG, extremely charismatic and the driving force of the entire game. Her heart was shattered during the first hours, and every time an acquaintance would ask her about Joshua she'd feel sad, and I'd feel sad with her (reason why I chose her big sister to travel with her and help her understand her own feelings). By the time she becomes an A rank bracer she has turned into someone that's way more confident, reliable and comfortable about her love for Joshua than the girl who trained at Le Locle.
That makes me a little uneasy about playing 3rd, since I don't think Kevin is that good of a character to run his own show.

The increased scope of the story was welcome, and helped me be interested in playing Cold Steel and Ao/Zero! Since this time the threats to Liberl were not domestic anymore, I saw a lot of Erebonia and Calvard and learned to appreciate even more what the developers built. And yet, big events like the mayoral election in Ruan or the signing of the non-agression pact happened off-screen, showing that the main characters are not the center of the world unlike other JRPGs.
I got to see fun characters from FC continuing their own little threads (Simon was being pushed by Ms. Mirano, Argyle at the Junis academy kept enjoying the darkness, the little boy in front of Bose's market was still being teased/insulted by his girl friend, Faye made it to the big leagues by taking care of the Arseille while that enginner in Zeiss' factory's basement was still butthurt that she didn't like him, etc.) and I know I won't forget Anton and Ricky in a while.

That bigger scope also gave me plenty of super tense moments like Ragnard wrecking Bose, or Amalthea reappearing to attack Grancel, and later to defend Grancel alongside Alan, and mainly the Erebonian army ready to invade at Haken Gate with "Prince Olivert". I did not expect that at all, and I really thought shit would go off there and Olivier would become an enemy... but it was all a ruse <3 He's my second best character, I fear for his safety in the next games after what he said about bringing down the chancellor.

I adored Liber Ark as the final zone/dungeon, as it gave me a good peek at how was Zemurians' society like and finally explained what indeed "Aureole" was. I'm not too fond of the ancient and advanced civilization trope, so I was surprised to see that their lives were not that advanced from Liberlians'; besides their technology, they were structured in a very similar manner with similar problems.
The final fight was also more interesting than that robot from FC: mechanically, visually and plotwise.

My issue with the overall ending is the conclusions to each of its boss fights.
Every Enforcer shows they have a tragic side to them, which were big reveals for the party members they personally know, but not 5 minutes after they run away without dying and such reveals are not brought up again. Given how those relationships are built up in the first chapters, I expected them to be more than grunts with fleeting cutscenes.
The only exception was Loewe, because he had more time to be developed as a character between the two games and the fact that his arc was "done" there. Seeing Joshua running towards his body and crying was very emotional.

At the end of the story, Ouroboros, the enforcers, and as far as they (except Kevin) know Weissmann are still out there; the bracers stopped a disaster but they did not prevent a new one from happening.

I'm sure I should take Cassius' 4th-wall breaking comment to heart when he said something like "there are other battles to be fought but they will not be fought by Liberl" and assume those villains will appear in other games of the franchise, but for a game that does not exactly have a sequel (from what my friends say, 3rd is more of an epilogue) it was an unsatisfying ending.

SC was a fantastic game, and I'm glad enough people sold me on it in the past. Now I don't know if I pick 3rd up, play Cold Steel which I already have, or take some time off to not get burned out :p

I finished Second Chapter a few days back and I've been mulling over it. I think it's better than FC, and its highs are waaay higher than FC's, and I loved all but the ending.

This game only cemented more my feelings that Estelle is my favorite protagonist in any RPG, extremely charismatic and the driving force of the entire game. Her heart was shattered during the first hours, and every time an acquaintance would ask her about Joshua she'd feel sad, and I'd feel sad with her (reason why I chose her big sister to travel with her and help her understand her own feelings). By the time she becomes an A rank bracer she has turned into someone that's way more confident, reliable and comfortable about her love for Joshua than the girl who trained at Le Locle.
That makes me a little uneasy about playing 3rd, since I don't think Kevin is that good of a character to run his own show.

The increased scope of the story was welcome, and helped me be interested in playing Cold Steel and Ao/Zero! Since this time the threats to Liberl were not domestic anymore, I saw a lot of Erebonia and Calvard and learned to appreciate even more what the developers built. And yet, big events like the mayoral election in Ruan or the signing of the non-agression pact happened off-screen, showing that the main characters are not the center of the world unlike other JRPGs.
I got to see fun characters from FC continuing their own little threads (Simon was being pushed by Ms. Mirano, Argyle at the Junis academy kept enjoying the darkness, the little boy in front of Bose's market was still being teased/insulted by his girl friend, Faye made it to the big leagues by taking care of the Arseille while that enginner in Zeiss' factory's basement was still butthurt that she didn't like him, etc.) and I know I won't forget Anton and Ricky in a while.

That bigger scope also gave me plenty of super tense moments like Ragnard wrecking Bose, or Amalthea reappearing to attack Grancel, and later to defend Grancel alongside Alan, and mainly the Erebonian army ready to invade at Haken Gate with "Prince Olivert". I did not expect that at all, and I really thought shit would go off there and Olivier would become an enemy... but it was all a ruse <3 He's my second best character, I fear for his safety in the next games after what he said about bringing down the chancellor.

I adored Liber Ark as the final zone/dungeon, as it gave me a good peek at how was Zemurians' society like and finally explained what indeed "Aureole" was. I'm not too fond of the ancient and advanced civilization trope, so I was surprised to see that their lives were not that advanced from Liberlians'; besides their technology, they were structured in a very similar manner with similar problems.
The final fight was also more interesting than that robot from FC: mechanically, visually and plotwise.

My issue with the overall ending is the conclusions to each of its boss fights.
Every Enforcer shows they have a tragic side to them, which were big reveals for the party members they personally know, but not 5 minutes after they run away without dying and such reveals are not brought up again. Given how those relationships are built up in the first chapters, I expected them to be more than grunts with fleeting cutscenes.
The only exception was Loewe, because he had more time to be developed as a character between the two games and the fact that his arc was "done" there. Seeing Joshua running towards his body and crying was very emotional.

At the end of the story, Ouroboros, the enforcers, and as far as they (except Kevin) know Weissmann are still out there; the bracers stopped a disaster but they did not prevent a new one from happening.

I'm sure I should take Cassius' 4th-wall breaking comment to heart when he said something like "there are other battles to be fought but they will not be fought by Liberl" and assume those villains will appear in other games of the franchise, but for a game that does not exactly have a sequel (from what my friends say, 3rd is more of an epilogue) it was an unsatisfying ending.

SC was a fantastic game, and I'm glad enough people sold me on it in the past. Now I don't know if I pick 3rd up, play Cold Steel which I already have, or take some time off to not get burned out :p

The enforcer cutscenes differ depending on which party members you bring to fight them. Did you have Zin fight Walter and Schera fight Lucciola?

Bowlie

Banned
Yup, that's what I meant by the quick reveals and the fact that they all escape. Walter gets knocked out after fighting against Zin but later disappers if you go back to that arena; Luciola jumps but Schera herself says that she wouldn't die from that fall.

I'm sure I should take Cassius' 4th-wall breaking comment to heart when he said something like "there are other battles to be fought but they will not be fought by Liberl" and assume those villains will appear in other games of the franchise, but for a game that does not exactly have a sequel (from what my friends say, 3rd is more of an epilogue) it was an unsatisfying ending.[/spoler]
Bear in mind that the series as a whole still hasn't ended yet. [Sky SC]
Schera still has some arrangements left with Olivert. Zin - and by its extension Kilika and Walter - surely will have some significant role to play in the eventual Calvard arc. Estelle and Joshua's quest to find Renne would continue on to the next games.

Sure, Sky SC is the end of the Liberl arc, but I think saying that it doesn't have a sequel isn't really accurate it because I feel that the rest of Trails - where all these characters still continue - are its sequels. If you're in this for the long haul, you'd need to prepare for that sense of "oh this plot thread would conclude elsewhere"
lingering after each arc.

That said, there's something weird about the portrayal of Machias in the prologue that I've noticed. Minor prologue spoilers:
Machias displays plenty of casual sexism at the beginning of the game. He thinks that female members of Class VII require protection, he is particularly frustrated by getting the second place in the entrance exams because it is a girl who surpassed him, and he gets really confused when talking to Laura because his hatred for nobles and paternalistic condescension towards women come into conflict. Then this trait just disappears. There's no big character development moment that explains this. Machias simply stops saying things like that.
Is there an optional scene that I've missed that sheds some light on this change in behavior? Maybe a bonding event with one of the classmates that Machias goes on a field study with in Chapter 1?

Machias really gives the worst first impression and it bummed me out greatly because before playing I liked his design the most. As for your question, [CS1]
I don't think there's any big singular moment that marks his change of attitude. I suppose it's hard to hold onto that sentiment, at least outwardly, when demonstrably the two most powerful combatants in the class are girls. He at least shows willingness to be introspective, even in the prologue, and his bonding events make several observations of "how changed he is". Even though it's mostly about his Noble Discrimination, maybe the casual sexism is lumped in there, too.

Then again, the series casual sexism sprinkled here and there anyway, done by other people. So I dunno, maybe the writers simply view it as a cute character trait or something.

Ouch, that vocal track isn't really doing it for me. I also hope that the second one isn't the normal battle track. I do like the last three tracks, so I don't think I can be friends with Singa.

Ow, I actually feel the opposite. I like that vocal track and feels like it has the most personality out of all Cold Steel vocal songs thus far, as well as hope the second one is a battle track. Not really feeiing the last three tracks, especially the fourth one.

jb1234

Play 3rd before Cold Steel as it sets up elements of that game. The 3rd also fixed some of my issues with SC's ending (which granted, are different than yours) so hopefully you'll find it satisfying in that area.

PK Gaming

Thank you. I did not know that Sony allowed developers to implement their own cloud functionality.

Instead of getting ToCS II (the Vita version costs more than three times as much as ToCS PC here in Russia, and spending this much is kind of hard to justify less than half a year away from the release of the PC port), I ultimately decided to replay ToCS on Nightmare without any NG+ bonuses. The only meaningful difference so far is the prologue boss' ability to one-shot full HP Elliot with Aerial. Things should get smoother once I get Fortuna.

He just changes. Without ever having drawn attention to it. It definitely would have been nice if the game smacked down his sexist mindset, but letting it happen naturally was nice too. Seeing him absolutely cream himself at the prospect of fighting Fie and Laura in chapter 4 was satisfying enough.

Squire

Banned
Could be wrong, but I think Machias sticks out because there isn't a lot of sexism (casual or otherwise) in the series. I mean, I noticed it and the fact he dies knock it off over time on my first run of CS, but it stuck out much more in my time with the PC port after 100 hours of Sky and the 80 hours it took getting through CS2 even before that.

Bowlie

Banned
Bear in mind that the series as a whole still hasn't ended yet. [Sky SC]
Schera still has some arrangements left with Olivert. Zin - and by its extension Kilika and Walter - surely will have some significant role to play in the eventual Calvard arc. Estelle and Joshua's quest to find Renne would continue on to the next games.

Sure, Sky SC is the end of the Liberl arc, but I think saying that it doesn't have a sequel isn't really accurate it because I feel that the rest of Trails - where all these characters still continue - are its sequels. If you're in this for the long haul, you'd need to prepare for that sense of "oh this plot thread would conclude elsewhere"
lingering after each arc.

From a distance, I see too many differences between Sora, Sen and Ao/Zero to treat them as a single story, that's why I wished some of the answers to my questions were given in SC instead of others; I will play all those games and I'm sure I'll appreciate the bigger picture once I'm done!

Play 3rd before Cold Steel as it sets up elements of that game. The 3rd also fixed some of my issues with SC's ending (which granted, are different than yours) so hopefully you'll find it satisfying in that area.

Okay, will do. What were your issues, if you don't mind saying?

---

I looked 3rd's cast up and saw an interesting name:

Ein Selnate, which I'm almost sure was the fictional character in the book series presented in FC. I didn't know the stories in all those books could have been real.

preta

From a distance, I see too many differences between Sora, Sen and Ao/Zero to treat them as a single story, that's why I wished some of the answers to my questions were given in SC instead of others; I will play all those games and I'm sure I'll appreciate the bigger picture once I'm done!

Okay, will do. What were your issues, if you don't mind saying?

---

I looked 3rd's cast up and saw an interesting name:

Ein Selnate, which I'm almost sure was the fictional character in the book series presented in FC. I didn't know the stories in all those books could have been real.

While every arc has plenty of points that are set up and concluded within the arc, they all also have numerous plot threads that aren't, and you've only scratched the surface of the series' bigger overarching plotlines at this point.

Also, definitely get in the habit of reading the book series.

Top Bottom