• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

domlolz

Banned
Just a quick question, is there a massive difference between running dolphin on, say, 3ghz Core 2 duo/quad and a 3ghz i5/i7 processor then?

Just a quick question, is there a massive difference between running dolphin on, say, 3ghz Core 2 duo/quad and a 3ghz i5/i7 processor then?
I would think so. My quad core Q6600 @ 3.2ghz can't come close to running most graphically intensive Wii games at full speed.

Revoh

I'm not sure if you still need this but here are the screenshots of my dolphin config

Wiimote:
I have A and B setup as my left/right mouse click(and my A and B buttons on the 360 controller still but I don't use that for Super Mario Galaxy), middle mouse button for the wiimote/nunchuk shake to activate the star points

UAKlg.png

Nunchuk
I've basically mimicked the nunchuk on half of the 360 controller
OaOb7.png

In conclusion: I really need a bluetooth adaptor

e:Oh yeah, I'd not messed about with Dolphin for a few months but messing about with it recently and I'm super impressed by the controller config, there are so many options.

Thanks man, I'll try it.

btw, what a piece of crap MotionJoy is, is there another program that I can use to connect my DS3 to my PC over Bluetooth? MJ randomly stops working, and that user interfance make me want to vomit everytime I see it. I should've bought an Xbox 360 controller.

Revoh

Now I realized that I was playing SMG without music lol, after googling a little bit, I found how to fix it, changing the DSP to "DSP LLE Recompiler" and clicking on "DSP LLE on Thread" but now the game doesn't run at 60 FPS. I even OC'd my CPU a little more but didn't fix it.

Is this a common problem with SMG?

Now I realized that I was playing SMG without music lol, after googling a little bit, I found how to fix it, changing the DSP to "DSP LLE Recompiler" and clicking on "DSP LLE on Thread" but now the game doesn't run at 60 FPS. I even OC'd my CPU a little more but didn't fix it.

Is this a common problem with SMG?

Yep, you need to do it too when getting Grand Stars or the game will crash.

I guess most people just play without music and then change it when they beat the final boss of a galaxy.

Red

Yep, you need to do it too when getting Grand Stars or the game will crash.

I guess most people just play without music and then change it when they beat the final boss of a galaxy.

It's sad, because music is such a huge part of the game. I've never played through it on Dolphin for this reason.

Nekrono

Guys I need help...

Isn't a 2500k supposed to handle a lot of Wii games fairly well? Even at stock?

I have a 2500k @stock, 4GB RAM and a 6950 and I'm having difficulty running Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M, MG2 is giving me less than 30 frames no matter what settings I use! even if I overclock it to 4.3Ghz still the same exact performance and I've seen people running it at really high framerate even at stock clocks.

Metroid Other M is giving me ~40 FPS in the tutorial area, what could possibly be happening? I know this is not normal even for my processor on stock settings and like I said overclocking it yields the same performance.

I need help :(

Guys I need help...

Isn't a 2500k supposed to handle a lot of Wii games fairly well? Even at stock?

I have a 2500k @stock, 4GB RAM and a 6950 and I'm having difficulty running Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M, MG2 is giving me less than 30 frames no matter what settings I use! even if I overclock it to 4.3Ghz still the same exact performance and I've seen people running it at really high framerate even at stock clocks.

Metroid Other M is giving me ~40 FPS in the tutorial area, what could possibly be happening? I know this is not normal even for my processor on stock settings and like I said overclocking it yields the same performance.

I need help :(
Check Dolphin threads and the Dolphin wiki and make sure you have the ideal settings.

Medalion

Banned
Not all games will run well... it's a game of figuring out the right match of hardware power, dolphin settings, and dolphin releases

Nekrono

I have a:

2500k @stock
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard
AMD HD 6950 @stock
4GB DDR3 RAM @1600Mhz

Everything is running at stock, I've tinkered with Dolphin's settings and same crappy performance no matter what config or settings I use, specs are more than ideal from the ones in the Dolphin wiki.

I'm at a real loss here.

UPDATE:

Ok this is getting really weird, I configured Dolphin from scratch and tried Mario Galaxy 2 again, the intro plays at 60 then when you start the game it jumps down to a locked 30 fps and after than when Mario comes out of the pipe and you start playing it goes up to ~38 FPS...

Here is the weird thing....

I opened up CPU-Z and it shows my processor is running at around 3.6Ghz BUT when I Ctrl+ALT+Delete to bring up the task manager and see the cores usage my game "froze" and when I minimize it and maximize it again the screen goes completely black, I can hear it and move around AND THE PERFORMANCE SAYS 60 FPS AND 100% SPEED!

What the hell is going on here?!

Red

Some Skyward Sword shots:

I might make an album with spoiler images and upload it here if anyone is interested.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit, why can't Zelda be THAT beautiful on my Wii? It looks like a jaggy mess on my TV, and I'm playing on a CRT :(

Red

Here is a comparison of Wii native res vs. 1920x1080. I've scaled the 640x480 image up so it's a comparable size.

And here is an album of images in and around the area of dungeon 4. Possible spoilers.

Reading into it too much? From the "last" Iwata Asks on Skyward Sword:

Iwata said:
Aonuma-san, Fujibayashi-san, and everyone who provided us with comments this time, thank you. "Iwata Asks" about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is complete for now. Thank you very much.

HD Wii U version confirmed

Seik

Banned
I have a:

2500k @stock
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard
AMD HD 6950 @stock
4GB DDR3 RAM @1600Mhz

Everything is running at stock, I've tinkered with Dolphin's settings and same crappy performance no matter what config or settings I use, specs are more than ideal from the ones in the Dolphin wiki.

I'm at a real loss here.

UPDATE:

Ok this is getting really weird, I configured Dolphin from scratch and tried Mario Galaxy 2 again, the intro plays at 60 then when you start the game it jumps down to a locked 30 fps and after than when Mario comes out of the pipe and you start playing it goes up to ~38 FPS...

Here is the weird thing....

I opened up CPU-Z and it shows my processor is running at around 3.6Ghz BUT when I Ctrl+ALT+Delete to bring up the task manager and see the cores usage my game "froze" and when I minimize it and maximize it again the screen goes completely black, I can hear it and move around AND THE PERFORMANCE SAYS 60 FPS AND 100% SPEED!

What the hell is going on here?!

I have the same CPU, you should think about overclocking it and buying a descent heatsink/fan. Stock is what, 3,4Ghz? I'm at 4,5Ghz and it doesn't go over 65 Degrees.

Still I don't think its suposed to go THAT slow, galaxy is 60fps in game if I'm correct...o_o

Tomodachi

I can't believe how good SS looks. It's the very concept of "art style >>> technical assets". It's criminal you can't play it like that in it's native environment.
NINTENDO YOU CRIMINAL.

shuffle2

Neo Member
Just wanted to say that, if you want dolphin to output a reference image for comparing TV screens to enhanced dolphin screens, you also need to enable real xfb. it should be a more drastic comparison :)

Rubixcuba

Banned
GAF, what's the easiest way to rip my Wii games for Dolphin ? I've been attempting to use Clean Rip on Homebrew but I'm having troubles. Suggestions for other sources ?

tsab

GAF, what's the easiest way to rip my Wii games for Dolphin ? I've been attempting to use Clean Rip on Homebrew but I'm having troubles. Suggestions for other sources ?

do you use an usbloader?
if yes rip it with them. Use wiibackupmanager 3.0 to help you convert it to .iso if needed (pc application)

tsab

GAF I really need your input on this.
I played some games on dolphin, or rather tested. The thing is I love how the games look and play. Unfortunately my PC is not good enough to play them full speed. So I have decided sell my old PC parts that need upgrade (damn you intel with your new sockets every 3 months).

I am thinking of buying a i5 2500K, overclocked should be sufficient to play (from previous posts and replies I got in these thread).
So in short GAF, according to your experience can I playalmost any heavy Wii game at full speed?

Please note that I am only upgrading for dolphin.

My current specs:
Q9300@3.00GHz
Gigabyte Geforce 460SuperClocked

Future Specs:
i5 2500K
will keep the GPU

tl;dr
i5 2500k plays Galaxy2 and Skyward Sword @ 60fps? 720/1080p. AA not necessary

Durante

Nothing plays those games at 60 fps. They are 30 fps games.

An overclocked 2500k with a 460 should be able to play most Wii games perfectly though.

Beats

Nothing plays those games at 60 fps. They are 30 fps games.

An overclocked 2500k with a 460 should be able to play most Wii games perfectly though.

Mario Galaxy 2 runs at 60fps.

Wait a minute, isn't Galaxy 2 locked at 60 fps?

Anyway, how would a Phenom II X4 + 5670 perform?

I have an X4 at 3.8GHz, and a GTX 460 (not sure how that compares to a 5670). I can run most games at full speed.

MCD

Man, I spent two hours messing around with the audio stuttering in Metroid: Other M and I can say that LTE sure fixes up all that crackling noise/out of sync cutscenes but you need to overclock whatever you have and I am too much of a pussy to do it.

What I did with my Asus Crosshair V/AMD 1100T is set it to auto overclocking and it jumped from 3300 to 3700. Pretty safe for a virgin overclocker.

tsab

Man, I spent two hours messing around with the audio stuttering in Metroid: Other M and I can say that LTE sure fixes up all that crackling noise/out of sync cutscenes but you need to overclock whatever you have and I am too much of a pussy to do it.

What I did with my Asus Crosshair V/AMD 1100T is set it to auto overclocking and it jumped from 3300 to 3700. Pretty safe for a virgin overclocker.

You have a i5 2500K I presume.
Out of 10 how much would you rate your CPU towards my goal, full speed emulation at HD/HD Ready resolution without AA?

Whoever have that CPU please reply

Edit: oh I see you have a AMD CPU

Revoh

tsab, I have a 2500k and it's one hell of a CPU, make sure you buy a custom Cooler aswell, like the Hyper 212+. You'll need it to overclock it to 4.5 Ghz easily. Seriously, buy it.

Azar

You have a i5 2500K I presume.
Out of 10 how much would you rate your CPU towards my goal, full speed emulation at HD/HD Ready resolution without AA?

Whoever have that CPU please reply

Edit: oh I see you have a AMD CPU

Better than an i3. Not as good as an i7.

tsab

Better than an i3. Not as good as an i7.

Thank you, I need to find it about 2500k though. I haven't followed the CPU trend since socket 775/AM2

I apologise if my previous response seemed a little bit offensive or rude, that was the result of 3 posts mixed together :s

MCD

@tsab Yeah, I went with AMD because I wanted to try something new this time and it's a cool ride so far.

Whether you have the best shit in town, I bet you will find at least one or two games that always have that annoying frame dropping or sound stuttering. That's what I think anyway.

This has been on my mind for some time. I noticed some of the guys here did or are doing runs of Twilight Princess.

Has anyone tried, if its even possible, to modify how the controllers work with glovepie or something. What i want to know is if anybody was able to do the different sword swings with gestures. And if the game is playable that way?

Edit: The reason i ask is because was always intrigued of why Nintendo didn't do it themselves, accelerometers seem good enough to detect basic directions for the swings.

Don't feel so bad, there's a chance you will have to play on both because the game is not quite bug free on Dolphin from what I heard

I've gone back to playing on Wii, just too many minor issues that add up and annoy the crap out of me. Dolphin is cool to mess around with, but for playing through games start to finish especially for the first time it is not ideal.

Mudkips

Banned
My Wii still likes to listen to my Wii Remote that's paired to Dolphin.
Every time I finish using Dolphin I have to go downstairs and make sure the Wii wasn't turned on.

Also - is there anyway to calibrate the IR settings when using a real Wii Remote? My shit seems so slow and sluggish when moving the cursor around. If I stand further back it's a bit better, but not by much.

Though Wii Play didn't have the problem, and I've only tested the main menu of Skyward Sword, and not the actual game (it was during my lunch break, my wireless sensor bar arrived today).

tsab

My Wii still likes to listen to my Wii Remote that's paired to Dolphin.
Every time I finish using Dolphin I have to go downstairs and make sure the Wii wasn't turned on.

Also - is there anyway to calibrate the IR settings when using a real Wii Remote? My shit seems so slow and sluggish when moving the cursor around. If I stand further back it's a bit better, but not by much.

Though Wii Play didn't have the problem, and I've only tested the main menu of Skyward Sword, and not the actual game (it was during my lunch break, my wireless sensor bar arrived today).

I think the SS menu uses the motion plus only and not sensor bar.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I had a perfect dolphin setup with that latest 'dirty' build, and Skyward Sword ran really smoothly...then I updated to the latest numbered build to take care of the graphic glitch in SS and now it stutters like crazy. I feel like all my settings are identical, anyone know about this?

What annoys me is Dolphin not running at full speed when, based on the CPU gadget on my desktop, I can see it isn't maxing out my ram or CPUs...it's annoying

Haunted

I had a perfect dolphin setup with that latest 'dirty' build, and Skyward Sword ran really smoothly...then I updated to the latest numbered build to take care of the graphic glitch in SS and now it stutters like crazy. I feel like all my settings are identical, anyone know about this?
The latest build does introduce problems.

I use an older revision Thoraxes recommended (r7719) specifically for Skyward Sword, it works flawlessly. No graphical glitches, no stuttering. With emulation, you don't always want the latest.

Haunted

No IR in Skyward Sword, only M+. The menu cursor does move slower and more sluggish as a result.

Red

This has been on my mind for some time. I noticed some of the guys here did or are doing runs of Twilight Princess.

Has anyone tried, if its even possible, to modify how the controllers work with glovepie or something. What i want to know is if anybody was able to do the different sword swings with gestures. And if the game is playable that way?

Edit: The reason i ask is because was always intrigued of why Nintendo didn't do it themselves, accelerometers seem good enough to detect basic directions for the swings.

I don't think this is possible. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. I played with the swings mapped to a 360 controller's right analog stick for about half the game. But "swinging" in TP is just replacing a button press. It is literally doing the same thing as an input. There are no "different swings," there's just Link's regular sword slash, like in any 3D Zelda.

Medalion

Banned
Emulation is not perfect, it's the price you pay for having better graphics catering games to a system not natively setup for them... there will always be problems even if you have super powerful hardware

Top Bottom