• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Durango: Is the next Xbox more powerful than we thought? (CVG)

16 cores with half a thread on every core so 8 cores effectively.

fry.jpg

All of this talk of cores... all I care about is:

1. Is more powerful than the 360?
2. How much is it going to cost?
3. What games will be available?

This is also what the majority of the gaming market cares about as well.

Luigiv

PS3 is considerably more powerful than 360, with an 8-core custom IBM Cell CPU. In the PS3, one core is locked out to improve manufacturing yields, and another is reserved for the operating system, but that still leaves PS3 with double the 360's processing power on paper.

Umm yeah, ok then.... Totally not making it obvious you have no idea about what you're talking out.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I will never pay for a console over 250 dollars, mark my word. It sounds like Microsoft and Sony do not care if these consoles launch at 500 dollars and up, ridiculous.

Hahaha. The Wii was the most underpowered console of this generation and even that one cost $250. The next gen machines from MS and Sony will cost at least $399, the new Wii will be at least $299. Mark my words.

Synless

The article is wrong about Battlefield 3 being sub-HD on 360. It's still 1280x720. Thin black horizontal lines were added to the top and bottom, so the image displayed is still 720p. Heck, a majority of Blu-ray movies aren't 1080p then since 2.35:1/2.4:1 adds huge black bars. :p
Actually, it's 1280x704. So it is sub-hd.

I will never pay for a console over 250 dollars, mark my word. It sounds like Microsoft and Sony do not care if these consoles launch at 500 dollars and up, ridiculous.

I think both MS and SONY will go solid this time on price front.

Now the war is to get the customer to play on a console not weither the customer gets a PS or xbox.

Right now 250 don't mean shit. American currency is in the toilet. Back then when the PS2 launched @ 299, it was 449 in Canada.

US dollar is pown3d and if you think they will launch @ 249-299 you are out of your mind son.

Kunan

lol this article directly compared the SPU + PPU count to the core count in the 360, and said that means the PS3's CPU is twice as powerful.

I'll believe it when I see it. This sounds ridiculously unlikely.

Unless they position the next console as a "hardcore Xbox" at a higher pricepoint, with all current Xbox 360's rebranded as "Xbox for the family" at a sub $200, I don't see this happening. Even then, it's doubtful. I don't see Microsoft launching at anything higher than $400, and this hardware would be sold at a considerable loss if that were the case. Ballmer doesn't like that idea.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Why are we talking about how many cores this kluge has when we should be talking about how the article mentions possible Durango games being shown at E3?

Fuck, I would kill to see MS show (even in a tech demo) next-gen.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why are we talking about how many cores this kluge has when we should be talking about how the article mentions possible Durango games being shown at E3?

Allow me to spoil MS's lineup: Halo Durango, Forza Durango, Fable Durango, and Kinect Sports 3 Durango.

lol this article directly compared the SPU + PPU count to the core count in the 360, and said that means the PS3's CPU is twice as powerful.

Yeah it is the "bit"-battle all over again!!!!!!

I find it amazing some people even get a job in the gaming industry without actually having a clue about computer technology.

TRios Zen

I second this. Some mention of the next gen by either Sony or MS would make this a much better E3 in my mind. This gen is old...bring on the next one!

I second this. Some mention of the next gen by either Sony or MS would make this a much better E3 in my mind. This gen is old...bring on the next one!

A year ago I would have said "nah" ... but I'm all for it now. Besides XBLA and Xenoblade I haven't touched my consoles all that much. Sold my PS3 while the gettin' was good a few weeks ago and am going to update my PC. So while I'm not in a hurry to get a new console, I want it out so I can see the games and what kind of ridiculous DRM it has applied to it.

Plus, I'd love to see Forza 5.

Allow me to spoil MS's lineup: Halo Durango, Forza Durango, Fable Durango, and Kinect Sports 3 Durango.

That would be the greatest E3 ever if they showed those games. No way would they show a new Halo of Forz though since they are release a new game for both on the 360 this year.

I still cannot see MS or Sony letting Nintendo just run away with a next gen console this E3. I think it forces their hand a little. They may not see Nintendo as a threat to their core, but thats exactly what Nintendo seems to be going for this upcoming gen. I think they might be finally catching on to this and will plan a last minute, next gen console announcement of some sort.

Mitsurugi

Neo Member
After reading this article, and others like it, my guess is, Xbox 720 may use a customized HD7850 with 8000 series features. Or a custom GPU comparable to a mid-range 7000 series card. Even if, in some worse case scenario, they have to sacrifice power to achieve affordability (300USD), the combined might of the CPU and GPU will probably be enough to run any highly scalable Frostbite, UE4 or CryEngine 3 based graphics-beast of a game in 1080p or mid-range PC quality.

I'm also wondering if the rumored Xbox set-top box may be a stripped down 720 with a Cape Verde GPU that runs games in 720p/30 with a mitigated frills.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know - how powerful did we think it was going to be? I'm so confused about all three of the next gen consoles at this point

I really don't care about the technology as long as it's "good," so any talk of blah blah cores versus blah bleh blecht blah cores, and all this shit, don't matter to me. If it's considered "good" technological advancement then I'll be pleased, and if the pricetag is $400 or less, then I'll probably jump on it.

Ryuuga

Banned
I heard it's capable of rendering 1D games at high resolutions and it's store will be full of 1D demakes.

Proelite

CVG is so lttp.

Haven't they heard that MS switched over to AMD Jaguar cores for its cpu? It's not going to be that powerful anymore.

Petrichor

I still cannot see MS or Sony letting Nintendo just run away with a next gen console this E3. I think it forces their hand a little. They may not see Nintendo as a threat to their core, but thats exactly what Nintendo seems to be going for this upcoming gen. I think they might be finally catching on to this and will plan a last minute, next gen console announcement of some sort.

I can't see E3 going by without some kind of tease or mention from both Microsoft and Sony. I can see sony doing an E3 2005 and unveiling the consoles name and design completely out of the blue accompanied with tech demos. At the very least Microsoft will start of some kind of viral marketing campaign for their next console. Maybe microsoft show off future titles that are quite clearly for the next generation, but they don't specifically state it.

If E3 does go by without an announcement from MS or SONY, there's no way we won't have some official word on their plans by the time the Wii U launches, it would just be a really bad strategic move to keep quiet.

Doffen

I tough everyone had come to terms with the fact that the next Xbox will be a downgrade from Xbox 360. Microsoft obviously won’t do an upgrade, so if we are lucky the next Xbox will maybe, just maybe run on par with Nintendo Wii.

I can't see E3 going by without some kind of tease or mention from both Microsoft and Sony. I can see sony doing an E3 2005 and unveiling the consoles name and design completely out of the blue accompanied with tech demos. At the very least Microsoft will start of some kind of viral marketing campaign for their next console. Maybe microsoft show off future titles that are quite clearly for the next generation, but they don't specifically state it.

If E3 does go by without an announcement from MS or SONY, there's no way we won't have some official word on their plans by the time the Wii U launches, it would just be a really bad strategic move to keep quiet.
I guess that is how I am feeling too. Not that they exactly have to release every detail, but I feel like they have to do something.

Mrbob

It's going to be interesting to see the reaction to built in Kinect. I sure don't want it, and I hate having to pay for it being included with the next Xbox.

i dont believe orbis will be more powerful than durango, nor in a 16 core cpu. i'm inclined to not believe this rumor source.

Yeah they keep adding shit to try to justify that price point. I also think that the XBL silver membership will cost money as well as a PSN membership...say $50/year just to play online the XBL Gold and PS+ will be $100/year but give you a ton more shit.....that just a guess though.

Pistolero

i dont believe orbis will be more powerful than durango, nor in a 16 core cpu. i'm inclined to not believe this rumor source.

The proprietary Sony of the days would have triumphed on a hardware level given a similar launch table, but that of today would be much more careful with its spending. So, unless Microsoft decides not to indulge in heavy losses for the first couple of years, chances are their machine will be better equipped...
Still, I doubt the difference would be significant, or have any substantial impact on buyers' decisions.

Top Bottom