• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
my family of course voted trump too and they were thrilled this morning when they heard he won

they're so happy that mr. "i want to exterminate all white people" obama won't be america's future dictator like they all thought for the past 8 years and that queen of spirit cooking hillary wont be president

sometimes i think i might have been switched at birth because holy fuck

Kater

Banned
Nope, sorry, I'm off that shit now and hopping straight onto the opium train. Someone/something, please make me forget.

Real reply: read this .pdf, and good luck to you.
I was halfway joking at the time I wrote that post, since I don't really have the money for such a trip at the current moment. Kind of you to search for a book for me. Maybe I find something in it that helps.

This was my first election, I voted Clinton but my state went red. I was horrified at the results yesterday when it was decided but now I'm just numb. My friend who also happens to be gay was more horrified than I. Personally I'm not too worried about LGBT issues unless Pence becomes president.

I actually had to tell my family I voted republican cause they're all staunch conservatives and I don't wanna put up with any shit. My grandma told me "we just saved your future!" Shut the fuck up, grandma.
Have at least a little pride and state your real stance. Lying about it seems pointless. Knowing their child's actual views on politics might be followed by a lot of heated discussions, they might think about their own views more critically from then on though, too. Isn't that worth telling the truth for?

Trump maybe. Pence is legit fucking scary.

Pretty much. Trump is questionable, but Pence and the Republican government is a very terrifying prospect. Even the power this result provides to those with racist, homophobic, and sexist views is worrying enough; that combined with the very real possibility of the removal of laws protecting the rights of LGBT individuals to not be discriminated against on the basis of their gender identity or sexual orientation? Just a very worrying sign for the next eight years (because even if it's not a Republican candidate in four years time, it's going to take another presidential term to repair the damage caused by this term).

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero feels pretty relevant right now, just as it was in 2007.

tumblr_mntszu6JQQ1s726nxo4_1280.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqBVC58RYRxBmUmAwxyxqQXXFEA_42WjZ

Bladenic

The more I think about it the angrier I get at Hillary and her campaign. Which I know is stupid, but looking back, it just feels like she was so complacent in so many regards. Not campaigning enough, in some states NOT AT ALL. Plus, I feel like I saw Kelly Anne Conway every single day on one network or another talking about Trump and spinning her way to a win for him, where was the Hillary campaign manager all this time? Ultimately, the voters made themselves heard, but the Hillary campaign certainly could have done FAR more (as indicated by so many Dems staying home).

I was halfway joking at the time I wrote that post, since I don't really have the money for such a trip at the current moment. Kind of you to search for a book for me. Maybe I find something in it that helps.

Whether people ask in earnest or not, I will provide. I want to become clergy, remember? :p

Especially Bhante Punnaji, lately. His conception of the middle path, and the combined role of ethics and happiness, is the clearest I've ever seen presented. His conception of the passions (negative emotional states) and harmonious temperament (the absence of these emotional perturbations) is also extremely helpful as a practical psychology, both for noticing the passions very quickly before they can grow into anything more challenging to deal with, and then also for effortlessly relaxing them when you see them as empty (or as noise in an otherwise clear/unblemished channel or circuit of your psyche). Together they can be extremely powerful in revealing and balancing your temperament. This kind of meditation could take essentially anyone as far as they want to go, and is the approach that really works when trying to marry practice with life and world. Meditation doesn't necessarily work so well when it's just done on the cushion, but this you can do anywhere, in response to any thought that you have.

Pretty much. Trump is questionable, but Pence and the Republican government is a very terrifying prospect. Even the power this result provides to those with racist, homophobic, and sexist views is worrying enough; that combined with the very real possibility of the removal of laws protecting the rights of LGBT individuals to not be discriminated against on the basis of their gender identity or sexual orientation? Just a very worrying sign for the next eight years (because even if it's not a Republican candidate in four years time, it's going to take another presidential term to repair the damage caused by this term).
The conservative judges he'll appoint to the Supreme Court will do more damage than 4 years, plus lets be honest he'll start a war and this country will elect him again, America never changes presidents during wartime unless they have no choice.

After Britain and now the US, it's pretty clear that something needs to be done with the voting systems we all have, they're too old fashioned, this shit needs to go digital/online ASAP. If our money is handled online, this can be too.

I remember last year, I didn't vote on the EU/Ukraine deal because I had just gone through 2 all nighters for uni and I just passed out when I came home, I simply had no energy left. When I woke up, it was 8 PM and too late to vote. I wouldn't be surprised if things like this happen all the time for younger people.

yepyepyep

It's bizarre how a very tight two party vote ends up in electoral wipeout for one side and control of the senate. Australia's recent election saw a similar vote which ended up in a one seat majority. I'm not fully versed in the US electoral system but that shit seems wack!

DOWN

Banned
As of right now we just expect him to replace one conservative judge with another. I've never prayed so hard for a new president and current Supreme Court to stay healthy before. I don't want to see Pence touch the Oval Office and don't want to see Trump shift the court further right.

As of right now we just expect him to replace one conservative judge with another. I've never prayed so hard for a new president and current Supreme Court to stay healthy before. I don't want to see Pence touch the Oval Office and don't want to see Trump shift the court further right.
I don't think RBG can last 4 years and if Trump wins again....The court could have 2 to 3 more replacements, including RBG, I just have a bad feeling for the future.

Kater

Banned
https://www.tumblr.com/video_file/t:hnyLVJeFFbx4KHPzS7f5Fw/153006550090/tumblr_og8cmpJ28u1rt9w87

Here's some video of a kitten because diversion might be needed for some and hey, cat videos can be relaxing.

Whether people ask in earnest or not, I will provide. I want to become clergy, remember? :p

Especially Bhante Punnaji, lately. His conception of the middle path, and the combined role of ethics and happiness, is the clearest I've ever seen presented. His conception of the passions (negative emotional states) and harmonious temperament (the absence of these emotional perturbations) is also extremely helpful as a practical psychology, both for noticing the passions very quickly before they can grow into anything more challenging to deal with, and then also for effortlessly relaxing them when you see them as empty (or as noise in an otherwise clear/unblemished channel or circuit of your psyche). Together they can be extremely powerful in revealing and balancing your temperament. This kind of meditation could take essentially anyone as far as they want to go, and is the approach that really works when trying to marry practice with life and world. Meditation doesn't necessarily work so well when it's just done on the cushion, but this you can do anywhere, in response to any thought that you have.

It does like something that's worth practising for a lot of people, myself included. I could use the knowledge to control my emotions better which is sorely needed, especially when things look so dire, I don't want to be bound by despair and rage.

The more I think about it the angrier I get at Hillary and her campaign. Which I know is stupid, but looking back, it just feels like she was so complacent in so many regards. Not campaigning enough, in some states NOT AT ALL. Plus, I feel like I saw Kelly Anne Conway every single day on one network or another talking about Trump and spinning her way to a win for him, where was the Hillary campaign manager all this time? Ultimately, the voters made themselves heard, but the Hillary campaign certainly could have done FAR more (as indicated by so many Dems staying home).

Us Bernie supporters saw this months ago. I'm just sorry it took to this for some to finally see it.

Beefy

Getting told that Trump isn't homophobic because people in his team said so.... Same person voted for Brexit as well, so yeah the guy should know everything. /s

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Even if Trump isn't homophobic, he is representing a large amount of people who are and Mike Pence is just waiting to stir up that base.

3phemeral

I can't count how many times I've been told on Facebook that Trump stands for LGBT rights because he held up a flag.

Then for them to change the argument to: "Just because he believes it, doesn't mean he'll do it."

Then to: "Well, I agree with things like bathroom laws but it's common sense not racism or prejudice."

To: "Men dressed as women make me feel uncomfortable. They can use the bathroom outside in the back."

mantidor

The issue is not whether he is homophobic or not, the issue is that he clearly does not care if the people working for him are indeed homophobic and actively anti-lgbt.

Sibylus

Banned
It's going to be a rough presidency, and potentially the last of this republic. But what remains is each other. We have to stand for each other even if no arm of government will.

The spirit of '68 and Stonewall aren't dead yet!

Nero397

Have at least a little pride and state your real stance. Lying about it seems pointless. Knowing their child's actual views on politics might be followed by a lot of heated discussions, they might think about their own views more critically from then on though, too. Isn't that worth telling the truth for?

Not really.

Dany

Banned
What do we know? What can we learn? What can we do? These are important questions for us to move forward.

Nero. Truth now it else it'll bite you in the the ass later

Although lying could get the issue worse in the future (if the truth comes out or the stress of being closeted in some sense), there is no obligation to tell them if you have concern for your well-being or something. Speaking generally, not specifically to anyone's case.

I see Carol is on a movie streaming thing here (Presto, for any Australians who have Presto for some unknown reason like me).

Dany

Banned
Had an argument with bae about what we wanna do in the future. It's was unfortunately tied to politics. I don't care who is in charge or president; if its time for us to have a child or be married then we will be married/adopt.
He wants to wait 4 or 6 years to see the fall out of this mess. I don't want politics To affect our choices.

Tuck

For the most part, I don't think trump cares if someone is gay or not. Iirc correctly he doesnt support marriage equality but besides that I don't think he is particularly anti gay.

It's the people surrounding him that is the problem.

Had an argument with bae about what we wanna do in the future. It's was unfortunately tied to politics. I don't care who is in charge or president; if its time for us to have a child or be married then we will be married/adopt.
He wants to wait 4 or 6 years to see the fall out of this mess. I don't want politics To affect our choices.

But they will though. Politics is the way of the world and will invariably effect how you two decide what your future will be.

Astral Dog

That bottle guy :(
lying on the street bleeding until a friend picked him up, he could have died there.
With the trans suicides and racist crimes this has been quite a horrifying start to this new presidency.
Real reply: read this .pdf, and good luck to you.
Late comment but thanks for posting this, i been reading a little and its very interesting.

KmA

For the most part, I don't think trump cares if someone is gay or not. Iirc correctly he doesnt support marriage equality but besides that I don't think he is particularly anti gay.

It's the people surrounding him that is the problem.

Well... not supporting marriage equality is a pretty anti-gay thing lmao.

Anyway I just came out on my facebook. No one has said anything particularly horrendous yet so I'm thankful for that. This one guy who openly supported Trump showed me a lot of support too. When I was walking into the gym this morning, he was there (he works there) and he put his number in my phone... My friend was like this boy is trying to get your dick but I don't think so lmao I'm worried he's like gonna try to talk me out of being gay or something.

Bladenic

Anyway I just came out on my facebook. No one has said anything particularly horrendous yet so I'm thankful for that. This one guy who openly supported Trump showed me a lot of support too. When I was walking into the gym this morning, he was there (he works there) and he put his number in my phone... My friend was like this boy is trying to get your dick but I don't think so lmao I'm worried he's like gonna try to talk me out of being gay or something.

Uh, that definitely sounds like he wants the goods. Is he cute

Kater

Banned
But they will though. Politics is the way of the world and will invariably effect how you two decide what your future will be.
You could always move away to weather it out. And pray that the whole world isn't going down that very same path. :s

OrionX

Anyway I just came out on my facebook. No one has said anything particularly horrendous yet so I'm thankful for that.

Wow, congrats! I've just spent the last year finally telling the people closest to me. I told my dad on my birthday... yup I'm a dumbass lol, wasn't the best day but it could've gone worse. None of them had any clue, which is ironic since I used to waste so much time worrying that people could tell somehow, like it might be written on my forehead. I can't imagine going that far and putting it out there on facebook, guess I've still got a long way to go. Brave stuff, man.

Damn! I'm so glad you had a great experience coming out. I can only hope more people who voted Trump internally go "wtf have I done" and join in support when friends and family come out more. My parents voted Hil despite being Baptist but I still dread coming out as pan to them since they're already rationalizing and surrendering to a Trump presidency simply because he and his cabinet and policies are Republican.

Was feeling fine today after Dr Strange until I saw the type of person who makes me the most sick during these times. The person who voted for Trump out of spite for SJWs. People who read the bible and come away with fucked ideals beaten into their head are one thing. People who should know a lot better who've literally sacrificed health care progression, a healthy economy, stable foreign relations, progress of some sort rather than a rocketing backward, not even touching the issues of the humans outside their safe bubble, just because the super sensitive "SJWs" on the internet were mean to them in exchanges they probably can't even recall are a whole 'nother type of monster. It shocks me such petty people exist and they make me want to vomit more than the Pences of the world. If they honestly thought, I as a pansexual man would be stifled or culled because they voted for an orange bigot as revenge; they'd best believe all they did was light a fire under my ass to talk louder and crack the concrete for every marginalized group they sought fit to screw over.

hi there! I'm new here so it'd be nice to introduce myself! Just recently I have come to terms with my sexuality so i'm kinda excited what awaits :)

Your gender? Your sexual identity?
Male

Your sexual orientation?
Gay

Where Are You From?
England

Where Do You Live?
Outside London but currently studying at Liverpool!

How Old Are you?

Favorite Type of Music?
POP! Also like alternative music, disco and classic pop tunes! Big Lady GAGA fan lol

Profession or Career interest?
Currently in university and aiming to do something in Law

Favorite video game(s)?
Nintendo Games. Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy. Sony Games, Playstation

What are your hobbies (other than gaming)?
I love art, drama, books and music.

Little Mons†er;224117628 said:
hi there! I'm new here so it'd be nice to introduce myself! Just recently I have come to terms with my sexuality so i'm kinda excited what awaits :)

Your gender? Your sexual identity?
Male

Your sexual orientation?
Gay

Where Are You From?
England

Where Do You Live?
Outside London but currently studying at Liverpool!

How Old Are you?

Favorite Type of Music?
POP! Also like alternative music, disco and classic pop tunes! Big Lady GAGA fan lol

Profession or Career interest?
Currently in university and aiming to do something in Law

Favorite video game(s)?
Nintendo Games. Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy. Sony Games, Playstation

What are your hobbies (other than gaming)?
I love art, drama, books and music.

Welcome! Welcome! Glad you're in our community. As a Ninty fan, you planning on getting a Switch?

DOWN

Banned
Trump seems kinda chill on LGBT+ issues and went as far as trying to appeal to us during his campaign, but that said I don't think minorities in general will be his priorities over his core voters ever (he picked Mike Pence for goodness sake, though they apparently disagree on many policies). If anything, he's proven to be willing to demonize non-white minorities. I believe his most unfortunate comment on LGBT+ iirc was that he will appoint conservative judges who will send marriage equality to the states if it comes back up to the Supreme Court again for whatever reason because he believes marriage is between man and woman. Not good, but not like it was a mission for him since he was specifically asked? And at the RNC he actually straight up said he believes in protecting LGBT+ people and thanked the crowd for applauding that statement. His response to the bathroom debate was that Caitlyn Jenner is welcome in Trump Tower and can use any bathroom she pleases, which I'd like to think was him trying to explain that he has no fight against trans people rather than him saying he is glad that Caitlyn Jenner is Republican.

I don't know. It kind of seems like he will ignore LGBT+ issues altogether and his Supreme Court will be the real trouble. I legit hope he is a healthy, good president that surprises us because we know Mike Pence sure as shit is just the conventional political evangelist that wrecked stuff for decades.

Reading this post makes me think I've accepted doom

Let me know if I'm remembering Trump wrong on this issue

Kinsei

Banned
Trump seems kinda chill on LGBT+ issues and went as far as trying to appeal to us during his campaign, but that said I don't think minorities in general will be his priorities over his core voters ever (he picked Mike Pence for goodness sake, though they apparently disagree on many policies). If anything, he's proven to be willing to demonize non-white minorities. I believe his most unfortunate comment on LGBT+ iirc was that he will appoint conservative judges who will send marriage equality to the states if it comes back up to the Supreme Court again for whatever reason because he believes marriage is between man and woman. Not good, but not like it was a mission for him since he was specifically asked? And at the RNC he actually straight up said he believes in protecting LGBT+ people and thanked the crowd for applauding that statement. His response to the bathroom debate was that Caitlyn Jenner is welcome in Trump Tower and can use any bathroom she pleases, which I'd like to think was him trying to explain that he has no fight against trans people rather than him saying he is glad that Caitlyn Jenner is Republican.

I don't know. It kind of seems like he will ignore LGBT+ issues altogether and his Supreme Court will be the real trouble. I legit hope he is a healthy, good president that surprises us because we know Mike Pence sure as shit is just the conventional political evangelist that wrecked stuff for decades.

He chose an anti LGBT hate group to run the domestic policy transition. You're clinging to false hope if you believe that the Trump government will ignore LGBT rights.

Yeah, that's optimistic as hell (especially considering the most "support" he's shown our way was holding a flag), and after this week I don't see how or why any of us could still have that feeling.

Goldrush

For the same reason we see homophobic politician outed repeatedly, Trump's possible personal view don't bring me much comfort. He pretty much trapped himself into a position where he have to pursue anti-LGBT issues. Vetoing any anti-LGBT bills or nominating a gay-friendly Supreme Court nominee will pretty much be a political nuclear bomb.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1312587&page=1

IvorB

The thing is he's said so much random sh*t. He says he'll do something one second and then change his mind the next. He's just been saying whatever. Half the stuff he says he probably has no intention of following up on. For this reason no one really knows what he is going to do.

Top Bottom