• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: a 2 TB HDD is a waste.

Terrell

If all you're getting is retail games, sure. But with eShop only games, DLC and VC titles stacked overtop, I d take no chances. If I didn't have 1TB hard drives laying around, I'd get a 2TB drive.

JimboJones

This is a good question. Can't I just make a partition to be used for the Wii U?

Do you really want to use the other partition for somthing else? I'd rather just have a HDD dedicated for my WiiU rather than plugging/unplugging it for other things.

Drago

I am going to go with a 1TB hard drive. I would hope that it would last me throughout the lifetime of the system!

3GB free on the Basic WiiU is such a joke.

I'm buying a 32 GB SD card and calling it a day. I'm still using my 20GB hard drive in my 360 and 60 GB hard drive in my PS3. I won't need a ton of space.

Comandr

And since Wii U doesn't play media files, a large drive is even more pointless.

This kind of banter is annoying to me. Didn't the 360 ONLY play WMA files at first? If it played anything at all at launch? I don't recall that you could even connect any external storage to it.

Why do people act like the features present for the birth of a system reflect how it will be throughout its lifespan?

I couldn't walk, talk, feed myself, or drive when I first launched, but boy, how things have changed now.

vall03

I think I'll go with a cheap 160GB drive. I've had my 160GB on PS3 for more than 2 years and almost a year with my 250GB on my Xbox360 and I barely even filled them with anything. I highly doubt that I'd download a lot of content on eShop that would even use up a lot of space.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pc gaming is a hell of a lot different than console gaming though.

Just partition a big drive and everything will be fine.
File sizes are comparable.

And 2TB isn't that much more expensive than 1TB. Speed isn't much of a concern if you're running it over USB so there's no point in getting a blazing fast drive. Might as well trade speed for space.

This kind of banter is annoying to me. Didn't the 360 ONLY play WMA files at first? If it played anything at all at launch? I don't recall that you could even connect any external storage to it.

Why do people act like the features present for the birth of a system reflect how it will be throughout its lifespan?

I couldn't walk, talk, feed myself, or drive when I first launched, but boy, how things have changed now.
The 360 came out in 2005.

BlazinAm

Before you go rush out and buy the biggest possible HDD for the Wii U, consider the following.

1 TB = 1024 GB.
2 TB = 2048 GB.

New Super Mario Bros. U is 1.8 GB.
Nintendo Land is is 3.2 GB.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition is 16.7 GB.
Wii U discs are up to 25 GB.

A 1 TB HDD can theoretically store 568 copies of NSMBU, 320 copies of Nintendo Land, 61 copies of TTT2, or 40 games at a full 25 GB each.
A 2 TB HDD can theoretically store 1137 copies(!) of NSMBU, 640 copies of Nintendo Land, 122 copies of TTT2, or 81 games at a full 25 GB each.

As external HDDs formatted for the Wii U won't be inter-operable with PCs, be sure to think about how many Wii U games you'll be downloading over the course of the generation before you waste money on an excessively large storage device.

There is going to be more content down the pipe. Plus can't the wii u play video files, put that on it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'd still go for a big HDD, they could be releasing some good stuff from shop store or whatever. They can add up fast. What about patches too?

iammeiam

What if my HDD is about to die, how am I meant to back up? If the PC can't recognize the Wii U format.

They're supposed to patch in file-transfer ability and multiple external drive support in the near future. So through the Wii U itself, I guess.

Somnid

What if my HDD is about to die, how am I meant to back up? If the PC can't recognize the Wii U format.

Drive don't "about to die" they just do. A future firmware release will allow you to use two HDDs to manage backups or have up-to 4TB of space.

Kunan

Is there a list out there of the titles available digitally on day 1?

Thinking of picking myself up a terabyte drive or less and going all digital baby!

goomba

Banned
Inevitably there will be pc apps to partition and format the drive as you please , just like using a hdd on wii via Homebrew channel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Drive don't "about to die" they just do.

This is not true; what do you think the point of SMART is? What do you think happens when you get a bad block but the hard drive otherwise works fine? Even on the most naive level, what kind of indication do you think a mechanical click is? How do you account for all the cases of "dead" hard drives where people manage to spin them up and get some, but not all of their data off the drive?

Comandr

If they wanted to do those things, theyd have done it at launch to match whatever the other guys had been doing.

It occurs to me that when launching a brand new console with very different capabilities (from what you are accustomed to), you would want to start small and make sure the experience you are offering is as fluid and flawless as possible before you cram a ton of features into a system that you as a developer are not extremely familiar with yet. I understand they themselves made the product, but a lot of the services they are offering are completely new to them.

I would prefer a steady stream of content that works on the days they are launched, than a shitload of content on day one, and have nothing but problems.

Nintendo doesn't want any error 32 memes made after them.

Moar: Nintendo has OBVIOUSLY never been concerned with "What the other guys are doing."

File sizes are comparable.

And 2TB isn't that much more expensive than 1TB. Speed isn't much of a concern if you're running it over USB so there's no point in getting a blazing fast drive. Might as well trade speed for space.

I just mean the fact that pc games can add up quicker because there is no console generations in the pc landscape. If they work, they work. There are also more games for the pc too. I wouldn't even go over 750 GB unless you are going to be buying a ton of downloadable games.

I'd still go for a big HDD, they could be releasing some good stuff from shop store or whatever. They can add up fast. What about patches too?

Patches, even in the extreme case, would only just exceed the full original size of a game.

In order to justify a very large HDD, you would have to assume that there will be video recording or downloads in the future. There has been no information indicating such functionality.

Stupid techie question: If I had a 25GB game with lots of assets compressed, and transferred it to my HD, would developers decompress them on the HD for performance improvements or just leave them as is?

Drago

While we're on the topic, could anyone direct me to a low price, good quality 1TB hard drive I can use for WiiU?

urfe

The only reason I'd get a 2TB instead of a 1TB is if the price of the two isn't so different (i.e. 6000 yen for 1TB, 8000 yen for 2TB).

I'm still on the fence with buying games online with Nintendo though (3DS included), as they'll most likely always be full price. I bought quite a few of my Wii games quite cheap.

Eusis

I just mean the fact that pc games can add up quicker because there is no console generations in the pc landscape. If they work, they work. There are also more games for the pc too. I wouldn't even go over 750 GB unless you are going to be buying a ton of downloadable games.
No, I think it's more because PC games have almost universally wanted full installs after the 90s passed. The lack of generations helps, but usually with each console generation the size of PC games leaps similarly (I imagine 75%+ of space taken by Steam games have come after 2005), but if you got all console games digitally/installed you could still run out of space easily, I thought I'd be fine with 250 GB for the PS3, but Plus decimated that notion.

Anyways, I wouldn't go below 1 TB if buying a new drive for this. Even if you don't ever need that much it seems to be a pittance to jump higher.

Medalion

Banned
Stupid techie question: If I had a 25GB game with lots of assets compressed, and transferred it to my HD, would developers decompress them on the HD for performance improvements or just leave them as is?
That kind of detail has fairly certain not been discussed to the mainstream

My thoughts it would be transferred as is from disc to HDD... it's not "installing" the game, it's just storing the data.

Top Bottom