• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Space Harrier coming to 3DS

Randomizer

Aww man I love Space Harrier. I probably spent as much time playing it in the Shenmue arcade as I did Shenmue itself lol. Outrun and Afterburner next please.

Karak

3Dized arcade version of Space Harrier that will be available on the eShop. Will be in widescreen. Sega also has additional plans for 3D compliant classics on 3DS. No release date as of yet.

Xw2a4.jpg

NsBQV.jpg

5oBPy.jpg

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201211210023/

Honestly best news in years. Seriously. Favorite game of all time.
OF ALL TIME.

Now Sega needs to make Zillion.

Gameboy415

NICE!

I'm still hoping to track down the SMS 3D cart (I have the glasses and a few other games already and the 3D is surprisingly excellent!) but I'll definitely grab this as well. :)

Yes Boss!

Never played any of the Sega Master System games. I guess this is pretty good?
I want to give it a go; hope it comes out here across the pond.

Yeah, great. Bonafide. But this is neither the master system nor the genesis port (both of those are rather poor) but instead the arcade port.

jett

D-Member
This is pretty neat.

Sega's classic arcade games are best arcade games. *hums Space Harrier theme*

Karak

I would cry manly tears of joy if they did.

So would I. One of the best games I have ever played. I still remember many of the rooms and for sure the "shtt shtt shtt" sound of you running in the game. God Zillion was incredible.

wondermega

Was waiting for this, since launch. Thought it would just be the 3D SMS game though.

hot damn, hot damn, hot damn. Night made.

for the record, SMS 8-bit 3-D SegaScope Space Harrier was also very well-done (even if it's an obvious graphical downgrade from the arcade version). I had it; would not only appreciate to see that on the eShop, but I'd say I'd even prefer it to be honest (welll... maybe) The point is it was a blast to play, all the SegaScope games were.

Cheers to Sega for stepping up, like many others I'll now rattle off a list of games I'd love to see them port to the 3DS and thus further justify my continued reasons to own and enjoy the handheld!

OutRun
After Burner
As many of the other SegaScope games as possible
Super Monaco GP
Zaxxon (original Isometric early 80s game, this would rock like a mofo)
Galaxy Force
Zaxxon Motherbase (32X polygon game)
Star Wars arcade 32X (why not!)
Virtua Racing
Thunder Blade in any of it's various forms
Fantasy Zone

any other major Super Scaler games that I missed?

For nostalgia reasons, I went to look at some game footage and realized that the only version of this game that I have played was the one for Game Gear (I used to play it as a kid.) What have I been missing?!

I don't understand why companies haven't released MORE 3D remasters of 2D games. It's fairly simple.

I've made a ton of mockups, just point your 3DS browser here to see them in 3D.
suretobebanned.com/3ds

Especially platformers, there's nothing to it. Just toss the parallax backgrounds as a depth layer and go for it. Cave Story 3D (the eShop version) and Kirby 3D were both great.

Still own my Japanese Saturn copies of Outrun, Space Harrier and Afterburner II out of pure love for that holy trilogy. Hope they all make it to 3DS.

Dambrosi

Banned
Oh God. Oh...Oh God. GODDDDDDD. Oh. OooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH*SPUUURRRRRTTTTTTTT*

...sorry, had a funny turn there. Either way, my 3DS purchase is now DEFINITE.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't understand why companies haven't released MORE 3D remasters of 2D games. It's fairly simple.

suretobebanned.com/3ds

Especially platformers, there's nothing to it. Just toss the parallax backgrounds as a depth layer and go for it. Cave Story 3D (the eShop version) and Kirby 3D were both great.

It's not nearly as simple to do as you're making out, and it's really easy to do badly.

Yes Boss!

suretobebanned.com/3ds

Yep, no brainer. They don't have to completely redo them like the Arika ports...just offer VC-like ports with option for 3D.

I thinking these things don't really sell that well. I mean, Nintendo has not even released the few Virtual Boy games yet. Sega will probably push these with a heavy branding so hopefully they will sell better. Approaching 25 million units so the userbase has got to be there by now.

Jazzem

YESSSSS :D Such a tremendous gem of a classic, and one that goes hand in hand with a 3D treatment.

Sega are doing so good with these ports lately.

Top Bottom