• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Aren't the new LEGO games supposed to be expanded nicely with great open worlds etc?

I thought of that too, not sure how much of an impact that actually has on the basic gameplay formula though.

I barely have that left on my 8gig. Guess I'll be buying the retail version.

Yeah... but I still need something for about the same price to get my 100$ US PSN deal. Its basically $20 off if I buy it online. Meh.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I just downloaded it. Was 2.9GB for me.

Woo! Which region are you in? Some games seem to have different sizes depending on languages and whatnot. Also, why can you already dl it?

Oni Jazar

That's actually incredibly true, even from the pre-release hype you know AC will score 9-10 with 'the best every refinenment of AC that almost feels like a reboot and it's in America, guyz!!!!'

Whereas Liberation will get the: 'it's a console experience on the go, so it had to be compromised somewhere and it lacks the polish of its older brother' 8-9.

Sad and true.

So I have this preordered at a Best Buy store, and I got an email about it today. It refers to the game as "PSV-ASSASSIN'S CREED 3: LADY LIBERTY" lol.

Well..Assassin's Creed: Revelations is complete trash,

Oh come on. I know saying stuff like this about popular games is kinda your thing buts thats total hyperbole.

revelations problem is that its VERY similar to brotherhood. Its still a good game but I tried playing it straight after brotherhood and got bored really fast.

I went back to it this weekend and really enjoyed going through it.

OmegaZero

That better not be a spoiler/plot twist :p

The interviews with the script writers and previews have basically been claiming that that for a while now, so I'm pretty sure it's not a spoiler.

EDIT: Also, this just shipped. Will arrive tomorrow.
Sweet.

dEvAnGeL

Great, precisely the day the game comes out a freaking hurricane decides to show up! How about the day after the game comes out sandy?!

OmegaZero

no fair. Mines been preparing for dispatch since friday lol.

Amazon Prime master race.

Wat.

Chris Plante said:
"Without the Desmond," said Hutchinson, "we could have called it anything else, and people would have said okay. It's just we like the wrapper of being an assassin and being in this continuing war against Templars. There's huge value in that. But [Assassin's Creed 3] is 90% a new game."

Still wondering why they call it "Assassin's Creed III Liberation"- why not drop the number?

It's much better to associate this good game with the anticipated 3 than let it rot alone while peopel would otherwise think it's a bad game like the previous ones on portable devices ...

Can get the special edition console bundle for $199 at Best Buy Canada

10207430.jpg

Great deal, I'm tempted.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my Amazon order and go digital. Hurricane Sandy means I might not get (probably won't get) a delivery, but will my power even be on?

Toma

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my Amazon order and go digital. Hurricane Sandy means I might not get (probably won't get) a delivery, but will my power even be on?

I hate to read such things :/ Makes me super glad that my area has no natural disasters at all.

AkuMifune

Banned

Then your battery will die 5 minutes after it downloads. Technology!

I actually might pick it up digitally too. If the MP is any fun it could be a keeper for that alone. Just have to wait and cut it close I guess.

this is my situation too. hopefully the power doesn't go out here. so far so good though...

Peff

So this weekend I watched a pal play through most of the first five-ish sequences of AC3 and with all the debate about WHICH IS BETTER!?!1? going on I thought I might chip in with my two cents (Not really spoilers but specific sequence numbers if some people don't want to know):

- First of all, the pacing... yeah. I think it's safe to say that I didn't give Liberation quite enough credit for its, let us say, brevity. There has been a lot of talk about how AC3 has a really slow and bogged down beginning, and for the most part it's true. It takes
sequences before you even get to control Connor and another
2 before he becomes an adult and gets the Assassin outfit.
. To compare it with AC2, that's
the sequence where you visit Romagna before going to Venice
. In AC3:L, that's
where the game starts preparing for the ending
. During all this time you'll get plenty of tutorials. controlled situations and cutscenes, whereas Liberation, while not quite dropping the hand-holding, limits its helps to pop-ups and such much faster (though much of the side content takes a while to start appearing). Cutscenes and those silly "WALK WITH ME WHILE I TALK KTHXBYE" are far scarcer as well, and there is
very, very, very little of non-Avelline stuff

- However, that's not really representative of AC3's quality. The frontier is a really cool concept, and seemingly quite dense as well. There are lots of animals to hunt, collectibles, little towns with missions/fetch quests, enemy fortresses that are basically extra, non-scripted stealth missions, and out-of-reach viewpoints that need platforming to get to. Not to mention the naval stuff which seems to be pretty extensive. Liberation is more conservative in this sense, but it does what it attempts to well enough.

- Missions are a mixed bag so far. There is a lot of "Go here. This button to do this. OK. Now go here. That button to do that. Mission complete.". That said, the few times when you get more freedom I'd say are above a good portion of Liberation because of the secondary synchronization objectives, which are harder (not actually hard though :p) and you have to pull them off in one go, because there aren't checkpoints. Of course, It'd be great if it ramps up later and becomes the norm for the story missions, but I can't say.

- AC3: Liberation is certainly not a misnomer. It takes A LOT of stuff from AC3: animations, the mini-map icons, the way the map fills up as you move around, the combat, the, uhm, "jump button", the Tree Running, clotheslines and other stuff you can slide under, and more. It gets to a point where you have to wonder what the game would be like if AC3 didn't exist, but in a sense, it's also impressive that they fit so much of a late gen game in a game for a new handheld.

- Ironically, I'd say Liberation gives off a better first impression as far as presentation goes. While it's obviously inferior in raw graphics, the developers knew their limitations and mostly stuck to them, so even though the framerate in New Orleans is a bit erratic, the pop-up other issues are less noticeable than in Boston and other starting areas, where it's quite frankly very jarring. The dense forest areas later on can still impress, especially when viewed from above, but it's clear the game is doing too much. Depending on how they manage the draw distance, the PC version may look really, really nice.

All in all, I think I'd describe Liberation as a really focused, AC3-fied iteration of AC2 and AC3 as an interesting experiment with the formula that gets dragged down by its budget and the need to sell millions.

3GB eh? Then it's definitely a cart buy for me, my 16GB is struggling as it is. Should be able to get it at mediamarkt tomorrow night then, that's soon enough for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Can someone who is getting the white vita bundle in the US let us know if the game inside is an actual physical version or if it has a voucher for the download? I remember there being some confusion about that a while ago. It's important because if all I have at first is a 4gb card I don't want 1 game taking up the whole damn thing.

Volcynika

Can someone who is getting the white vita bundle in the US let us know if the game inside is an actual physical version or if it has a voucher for the download? I remember there being some confusion about that a while ago. It's important because if all I have at first is a 4gb card I don't want 1 game taking up the whole damn thing.

I probably won't be the first to get it, but I should have it tomorrow.

CrovaxPSO

The only other bundle like this that's been released in the US is the Madden bundle and that comes with the actual game cart, but not in a regular Vita box. It just came in a clear plastic clamshell thing. I'm hoping this comes with an actual game box but I'm not really expecting one.

jcm

The Madden bundle had the physical game without the retail packaging. This will probably be the same.

Edit: Beaten.

Derrick01

Banned
The only other bundle like this that's been released in the US is the Madden bundle and that comes with the actual game cart, but not in a regular Vita box. It just came in a clear plastic clamshell thing. I'm hoping this comes with an actual game box but I'm not really expecting one.

The Madden bundle had the physical game without the retail packaging. This will probably be the same.

Edit: Beaten.

I assumed it would but there was some confusion in the past because I think parts of europe weren't getting the physical version.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Damn you unboxing gods and Sandy. Anyone seen any unboxing vids yet for the Vita Liberation bundle?

They just cancelled all the midnight openings for Gamestop around here so there goes that :(

micah

They going to release any DLC for this? Or is there going to be a way to get that Mysteries of the Bayou pre-order bit if you go digital?

Tiamant

For the people who already has the game, in terms of graphics which
jungle-cave
section looks better, AC or Uncharted's?

Top Bottom