• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Takao

Banned
And so there goes Vita's third party support.

I guess this is really a case of marketing doing more for a game than it was worth.

From what Ive seen its definetly not a 55/100 game. Why does Venturebeat compare it to console ACs? They should judge the game for what it is and stop using console standards as the bar. Who are they anyway?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
And so there goes Vita's third party support.

I guess this is really a case of marketing doing more for a game than it was worth.

Why? The game is pretty good. How many days ago did you write this post? Was it on your clipboard just waiting to be posted? Come on, Takao. Be honest.

Skilletor

that how Asscreed games feel like,I think you'll get use to it again..

That's not true at all. I was just playing Revelations and it felt great.

This was just me running around as kid Avelene, though. I'm going to put some time into the game tonight.

Could just be that I'm used to the PC versions and haven't touched a console Creed in years.

Haven't seen a Liberation review thread, so shall we post them here?

IGN - 7.2 http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-review

A typical greg review if you ask me. That guy marks games down a lot for a strangest things.

- He HATES any touch functions (the ones he described sounded fine to me)
- Dont learn enough about Avelines past (if it was in he would prob complain it takes to long for the game to take off)
Complained you HAVE to play as her personas for a few missions to learn them....OOKKK

The frame rate slow downs is the only legitimate concern I saw in there and from what most others have said they are fine for the most part.

He also states its the simplified version of the franchise and never explains why its simplified.

God I hate IGN reviews these days. After this and the Street fighter x Tekken reviews how does anyone take them seriously.

Takao

Banned
Why? The game is pretty good. How many days ago did you write this post? Was it on your clipboard just waiting to be posted? Come on, Takao. Be honest.

I wrote it today. I was expecting this to do really well in the reviews. The stuff coming in points to what we usually expect from Ubisoft handheld releases but with a much nicer visual flair.

Carl

A typical greg review if you ask me. That guy marks games down a lot for a strangest things.

- He HATES any touch functions (the ones he described sounded fine to me)
- Dont learn enough about Avelines past (if it was in he would prob complain it takes to long for the game to take off)
Complained you HAVE to play as her personas for a few missions to learn them....OOKKK

The frame rate slow downs is the only legitimate concern I saw in there and from what most others have said they are fine for the most part.

He also states its the simplified version of the franchise and never explains why its simplified.

God I hate IGN reviews these days. After this and the Street fighter x Tekken reviews how does anyone take them seriously.

I thought that one as well. It's like the say "okay it's Assassin's Creed but it's not on console, so it's simplified. Well, no, not really.

JohngPR

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the console AC games, you have to hold the RT/R2 and A/X to make bigger jumps right?

In this game, you can just hold the R trigger on the Vita to do most jumps, which takes some getting used to. If it makes anyone feel better, you can still hold down jump and it doesn't penalize you.

:p

Peff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the console AC games, you have to hold the RT/R2 and A/X to make bigger jumps right?

In this game, you can just hold the R trigger on the Vita to do most jumps, which takes some getting used to. If it makes anyone feel better, you can still hold down jump and it doesn't penalize you.

Yeah, that's the infamous "jump button". It works this way in AC3 too.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I thought there is a jump button this time around?

JohngPR

Oh, and is the loading long in the retail version? I got the digital and the loading time isn't horrible except for the initial game boot up, just unexpected from being on a memory card.

The access time on the game cards is actually faster than the ones in the memory card, believe it or not, so the retail versions probably have slightly faster load times.

Shtof

I wrote it today. I was expecting this to do really well in the reviews. The stuff coming in points to what we usually expect from Ubisoft handheld releases but with a much nicer visual flair.

Come'on, don't tell me anyone didn't see this coming. The game looks great and fun to play, but we all knew it was never gonna please the critics. When the main version of AC3 gets mostly 8/10 and that is a huge budget game 500 people worked on for several years, that's saying something, mainly that a low-budget offering by an unproven studio is obviously not going to tear up the metacritics.

JohngPR

I thought there is a jump button this time around?

There is, but I was able to make a lot of jumps (even from one building to the other ) by just holding down R. Leap of faith is still the same though.

I can't really go much more into detail because I'm still playing through bits where the world hasn't opened up yet so I can't look into it more.

Yeah, that's the infamous "jump button". It works this way in AC3 too.

Oh, they changed AC3 to this as well? :(

Oh well, I'll probably still hold down jump if it lets me out of habit. haha.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Come'on, don't tell me anyone didn't see this coming. The game looks great and fun to play, but we all knew it was never gonna please the critics. When the main version of AC3 gets mostly 8/10 and that is a huge budget game 500 people worked on for several years, that's saying something, mainly that a low-budget offering by an unproven studio is obviously not going to tear up the metacritics.

Yeah, I was sort of expecting the big brother to hit at 8,5 and Liberation to come in at 7,5. 5,5 still seems weird though, still cant judge however.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Mmmhm. Can I interest you in some doritos?

Yea there was part of me hoping reviewers would say "wow this is AC on a handheld and it works", but knew they would dock points because it isn't on the same level somehow as the console AC. And like you said when the console version is getting 7's and 8's, well this gets even lower. Shame really.

Yea there was part of me hoping reviewers would say "wow this is AC on a handheld and it works", but knew they would dock points because it isn't on the same level somehow as the console AC. And like you said when the console version is getting 7's and 8's, well this gets even lower. Shame really.
PSP syndrome all over again.

Teggy

Can anyone comment on how spoilerific the game is? I still haven't gotten around to finishing Brotherhood or even starting Revelations.

If people could look at this title as the first proper portable AC, and think about the leap that could be done like it was for AC2....

But sadly they strapped that "AC III" on the cover

Toma

Can anyone comment on how spoilerific the game is? I still haven't gotten around to finishing Brotherhood or even starting Revelations.

Apparently unrelated to the main story line aside from a small cameo.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

My goty of 2011 was Alice: Madness Returns,it got completely destroyed by reviews just because it's from a no name studio and didn't get the typical EA marketing push.

Sad times for gaming journalism.

herod

The problem really is that console AC is broadly overrated. Too much credit given for the high budget presentation.

Shtof

PSP syndrome all over again.

Yeah, but the console ports were always doomed. Vita has plenty of good games, but most of those games are in the $5-$15 price range. This game and Blops: Declassified will put the final nail in Sony and the third parties console port offerings chest.

Sound Shapes, Motorstorm RC and Tales From Space should be the Vita's future, not Uncharted, AC and CoD.

Shtof

My goty of 2011 was Alice: Madness Returns,it got completely destroyed by reviews just because it's from a no name studio and didn't get the typical EA marketing push.

Sad times for gaming journalism.

Yeah. I've been thinking about user-driven scores for a while, but actually knowing whether the user played a game or not might prove difficult. But gaming journalism needs to change, the journalists have far too much power these days, and Metacritic needs an arrow to the knee.

TheGrue

Aveline is a vampire confirmed!!!

8138852329_966bdf4a68_b.jpg

So far, so good with the game. I grew up in New Orleans, so have been especially interested in this one. Seeing slavery around me has already had the proper effect of making me feel uncomfortable. I like the idea of having three personas, but it will be interesting to see how this truly plays out in the game.

I like how that venture beat complains that there is no desmond...........are you kinding? thats one of the best bits about this game surely.

I dunno some of these reviews talk like they are looking for something to bitch about rather than look at how far portable gaming has come.

Direct comparisons to the console versions seem a bit crazy to me when you dock points because its not quite as good. It makes it sound bad when infact its still very good... just not as good.

I notice that the AC3 review on IGN makes a small mention of the slow down but doesnt harp on about it and doesnt include it in the negative points at the end. But when it comes to AC:L its a big problem?

Sigh.

I honestly cant say im surprised though. Just look at past reviews of stuff like gravity rush and golden abyss by them. While gravity rush isn't for everyone the stuff they complained about were mostly ridiculous (combat to hard lolz)

Carl

Yeah, but the console ports were always doomed. Vita has plenty of good games, but most of those games are in the $5-$15 price range. This game and Blops: Declassified will put the final nail in Sony and the third parties console port offerings chest.

Sound Shapes, Motorstorm RC and Tales From Space should be the Vita's future, not Uncharted, AC and CoD.

Meh, i think there's room for both.

Shtof

Screw that. I want uncharted and AC, and have no interest in Sound Shapes.

Screw it all you want, it ain't gonna change the fact that console ports are and will always be a bad idea. Adapting the franchise in a different way like Killzone: Liberation is pretty smart though.

Peff

Is there any PS3 connectivity or interaction with the Vita version? Or is it safe to get AC3 on another platform?

You get a multiplayer skin (lol), the chance to play the cameo mission with Connor instead, his tomahawk and an ammo upgrade. So, nothing big, but AC3 PS3 does have exclusive free DLC.

Top Bottom