• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspect - Review Thread

Keby

:( Sad to see this, but I can't say I'm surprised. I have a few friends who worked on this (some of them left the studio few months ago) and they all said this game had bad development problems. From what I was told the game kept switching gameplay directions which costed a lot.

On top of that apparently there was a guy from Square Japan there helping lead the project which lead to a bit of a culture clash :/ I hope airtight gets through this, because there are great people there.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Who was ever going to buy this on professional review scores?

It's very much a game that is niche and limited in broad appeal, was never going to review well - it's the type of experience that either appeals to you or it does not.

I was hoping it would turn out good so I'm disappointed by the mixed reviews. Guess I'll wait for gaf impressions to see if its actually worth trying out.

BusterJol

Yeahhhh I''m going to put my switch my pre-order to UFC or Sniper Elite. I'd rather not spend a full $60 on something like this. So down the line maybe.

8Xg8AQ8.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Reviews are about what I expected from the the hour I played from it. Still have it pre-ordered and think I personally will enjoy it.

Average range of reviews is 5-7, but there's some high 8s and 9s thrown in, and one 3 thrown in. Game length is all over the place (some say its 5 hours, some say its 12) but I think this is mainly due to all the side content. Generally from what I'm reading, people are saying the main flaws are easy puzzles, 'cinematic gaming' elements, and it being linear. The strengths people are citing are its story, atmosphere, and side-quest element.

That's the breakdown I have so far. It being polarizing does not surprise me, and I expect the game may do a bit better with certain gamers and find some niche cult audience.

Watching/reading the low scores, I still don't see any that screams bad. I think it looks like a cool visual novel style of game. Not much depth persay but a nice, crafted story with puzzles and such. I'm down.

Tagg9

Yeah, I expected this. I'll pick probably pick it up sometime down the road when it comes down in price.

Sloane

Banned
Generally from what I'm reading, people are saying the main flaws are easy puzzles, 'cinematic gaming' elements, and it being linear. The strengths people are citing are its story, atmosphere, and side-quest element.
So it's basically a Telltale game?

SJRB

Gold Member
This would probably explain why we got our review code just a few hours ago...

Unless all the outlets that released their reviews blasted through it in 3 hours, this explains nothing.

Anyway, shame about the reviews. Some bizarre differences in scores.

Dusk Golem

A few more reviews:

Murdered: Soul Suspect is definitely a qualified success. The richness of the atmosphere and charismatic lead performances pulled me through the story. That paired with a solid, no-frills investigation mechanic helped mitigate some of the technical problems and the sadly tacked-on demon hunting sequences. It's a distinctly average experience, but it has enough going for it that I'm glad I was able to conquer the bugs and see it through.

Shacknews - 6/10

Amidst a release schedule of sequels and games where all you do is shoot people in the face, Murdered: Soul Suspect is a breath of fresh air. Sure it sounds a little silly that you play as a ghost-cop, but its story and hands-on investigation sequences make for a compelling and unique experience you won’t find in any other AAA title releasing this year.

MMGN - 8.5/10

Overall, Murdered: Soul Suspect is a bit of fresh air in a gaming world where sequels are prevailing. It’s not balls-to-the-wall action, but it certainly is perfectly paced, well written and a joy to experience. You won’t be upset if you give it a try.

Stevior - 8.5/10

Murdered: Soul Suspect is a solid release that will definitely scratch the itch of any aspiring Hercule Poirot. Ronan is an intriguing lead-character and his supporting cast each have their own quirks. The game will keep you glued to your controller throughout, even if the game is slightly on the short-side. An unforgettable, enjoyable experience that we hope to see more of in this new generation.

Flcikering myth - 8/10

Murdered: Soul Suspect is one of the most surprisingly good games I’ve played in a long time. It manages to sell its bizarre premise and builds a solid, moving story out of it, and the plot-propelling investigations add immensely to the detective feel. Walking around as a ghost is clever and entertaining, and it even manages to inject variety into some of gaming’s most overused elements.

VentureBeat - 89/100

Gryph

There seems to be some serious disagreement about the quality of the writing. I'm really quite intrigued...

Kotaku says to play Heavy Rain instead. Soul Suspect sounds pretty good now.

I don't care if it's linear, it's a story. I will probably enjoy it too since it is about paranormal shit.

Dusk Golem

It's really sad to see Murdered: Soul Suspect die on its feet. There's some interesting characters and backstory, as well as some really great visuals (depending on what or who you're looking at), but the game's strengths are haunted by mediocre gameplay and substandard production values. You won't feel any cleverer having solved Soul Suspect's mystery, nor will you feel tested by its combat; it's a death that's all the more depressing because of how quickly you'll forget it.

GamesRadar - 2.5/5

(Google Translated) Verdict: A pleasant surprise. Adventurní game with some stealth nipples, which is based mainly on good treatment of the story and a few non-traditional game mechanics. Man pity length that makes the story but get bored. Some might discourage a slower pace due to the total absence of action or a little formulaic gameplay, because every investigation is conducted according to the same template. But despite all the complaints, I can say that for me it was not the best game I've played on my PS4.

Eurogamer.cz - 8/10

Although a little bland at times, Soul Suspect's storyline kept me gripped and it's a genuinely beautiful game. You'd think walking through objects would look glitchy and gross, but it makes the game totally worth playing just for that feature itself.
Soul Suspect explores some new ideas and executes them with precision and without giving anything away, I highly recommend you play this one all the way to the end for its highly satisfying conclusion.

3News 3.5/5

vareon

Who was ever going to buy this on professional review scores?

It's very much a game that is niche and limited in broad appeal, was never going to review well - it's the type of experience that either appeals to you or it does not.

Digitally Downloaded review said that while the game is and should be niche, it was hurt by decisions that tried to appeal mainstream. Don't know if that's true, maybe some impressions from Gaffers will help.

P. Fembot

Banned
I'm really confused about the reviews.

Seem to be as many 8's as there are 5's.

Think I'm still gonna get it, the premise seems like it could really be interesting, and the negative reviews certainly don't mention any aspect of the game being broken.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Seems that bthe overall impression is that the game is solid but flawed. I'll take a rough gem that tries to do things a little differently (like Remember Me for example) over the glut of generic murder-simulators that we seem overburdened with.

MormaPope

Banned
Hmmm....

Game actually seems really enticing, I can really go for a really solid B tier game right now. Might purchase for full price.

EDIT: Last gen versions are $49.99.

Dusk Golem

Hmmm....

Game actually seems really enticing, I can really go for a really solid B tier game right now. Might purchase for full price.

EDIT: Last gen versions are $49.99.

Steam version can also be bought off Steam for $44.99 on site, $35.99 on GamersGate, and for $25.99 on some trusted key reseller sites.

Well this is disappointing, still gonna give the game a shot when it arrives from Gamefly this week, need something to kill off time until E3. Plus according to a user from PS3Trophies, it seem this might be an 8 hour Plat, so yay?

I'm still getting it. I'm a Dynasty Warriors fan and over the last couple years I've really enjoyed games like Remember Me, Lost Planet 3, and Bound by Flame. Reviews don't really work for me...

mollipen

EGM's review. (5.5)

I'm not the reviewer, but I was really hoping that it'd be good, as I got to play a bit of it a few months ago. I loved that they were trying to do something that didn't rely on a heavy amount of combat. To be fair, though, I've not played the final game for myself yet, which I still want to do.

Dusk Golem

Just used the 19 review scores we have so far, they average out to about 67-68% (out of 100% of course) score.

Do you have any links to the reseller sites ?

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/murdered-soul-suspect-pc-cd-key-steam

Bought from them several times and have worked each time. Also if you like them on Facebook, you should get a coupon for 5% off any purchase, which can let you buy the game for a little more than $24. However, it's based off of the Europe edition, so keys may come in a bit later than US release date.

Garcia

:( Sad to see this, but I can't say I'm surprised. I have a few friends who worked on this (some of them left the studio few months ago) and they all said this game had bad development problems. From what I was told the game kept switching gameplay directions which costed a lot.

That must have been terrible. Reeks of development hell.

MrBadger

I was half expecting this game to get mediocre reviews, but it's still a bit of a shame. If the storyline is good, I might still pick it up. Linearity and easy puzzles have never hindered my enjoyment of a Phoenix Wright storyline.

Huh? This is why scoring systems like this are flawed. If all these aren't averaged to get the final score, what is the point of having a scale like this? Do some people play games that would get a 10/10 in sound but a 1/10 with gameplay?

Well, people still buy Sonic games, so there's that.

Just used the 19 review scores we have so far, they average out to about 67-68% (out of 100% of course) score.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/murdered-soul-suspect-pc-cd-key-steam

Bought from them several times and have worked each time. Also if you like them on Facebook, you should get a coupon for 5% off any purchase, which can let you buy the game for a little more than $24. However, it's based off of the Europe edition, so keys may come in a bit later than US release date.

Considering I never bought a game day one $24 is a pretty good deal. I still have other games to play though so I might still wait till it's cheaper

Marc

damn-gif-o.gif

I trust the metro review, which if you guys knew about the metro sounds very funny to say, but their gaming side is ace. So this is very disappointing to read.

The game looked really good to me, may still buy it when it comes down in price a bit more. I imagine by around the end of July with nothing to play I will want to pick this up. I could still enjoy this game a lot, sometimes reviewers are just talking complete shite like they did with Dragons Dogma. Will be curious to see what the impressions of GAF are generally when the dust settles.

Good grief at those reviews.

Still buying it though, I'm sure I'll get some level of enjoyment out of it. Shame it's not the successor to Shadow of Memories I was hoping it was...

Top Bottom