• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

I'm afraid to calculate how much I've spent so far.

• System
  • 2 pro controllers
  • Second dock
  • neon blue joycon set
  • Zelda physical
  • Bomberman physical
  • Binding of Isaac physical
  • Minecraft
  • Mario Kart 8D
  • Kamiko
  • Graceful Explosion Machine
  • World of Goo
  • Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
  • Wonderboy
  • Thumper
  • KOF98
  • MS1
  • MS3
  • Garou
  • Blazing Star
  • Waku Waku 7
  • Fatal Fury
  • SamSho 4
  • Alpha Mission 2
  • Neo Turf Masters
  • Shock Troopers

Nintendo loves me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

Interfectum

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

I don't think it's just Nintendo fans. I'm certainly not a Nintendo fan (or haven't been since SNES) and I absolutely adore this system. As an adult / parent / 40 hour work week slave the Switch has allowed me to dig back into console gaming big time. I want everything to come out for this system, I don't care how gimped it is.

Gator86

I'm on the opposite side. I have a PS4 and a Vita, and I already have most of the multiplat games. Disgaea 5, Puyo Pop Tetris, Fate/extella, Minecraft (Vita)...

ARMS and Splatoon 2 are mostly multiplayer games which I don't have even a tiny amount of interest in. I hated Splatoon on Wii U honestly.

My first year buy list for Switch looks like this:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (already got)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Steep
Skyrim
Fire Emblem Musou
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2

That's it. Every single game is coming out in fall. I have nothing but Mario Kart 8 and I really don't want to play it as I have already played countless of hours on Wii U. I love my Switch and I want games for it asap. It's gathering dust right now and I'm not happy about it. Do you hear me third parties? Make games for this amazing system! Pretty please?

This is basically where I fell. I own all the other platforms from this gen and last gen so all I really found interesting is Zelda, and I played the shit out of MK8 when I previously owned a WiiU. Zelda is my 1A or 1B for Goty, but I don't think there's anything else I care about at all until Mario so I'm just returning my Switch.

Spy

Gamecube?

Luigi's Mansion
Super Monkey Ball
Wave Race: Blue Storm
All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney's Tarzan: Untamed
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
FIFA Soccer 2002
Extreme-G 3
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SSX Tricky
Pikmin
NFL Quarterback Club 2002
The Simpsons: Road Rage
Universal Studios Theme Parks Adventure

All in 2 months

Now this was a crazy good lineup. I just think it's hard to be too excited about the Switch lineup because all of the games people are listing have already come out on other consoles awhile ago and if they didn't, they don't run in parity (graphical fidelity and framerate) with the Xbox One and PS4 versions and lack achievements. I care less about portability.

Wamb0wneD

Games I already played? Yah.

That doesn't make them filler.

And here I'm sitting waiting for reasons to even go pick one up (Zelda and Mario ain't enough), e3 cant come sooner and make or break the Switch.

Good thing stuff like ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Xenobalde 2 are already announced then. Whenever i read "only Zelda and Mario" i feel like these people just don't even bother looking out for what might be for them on the console.

flkraven

Nothing really unique about that. First year is expensive. Especially when peripherals are as over priced as they are with the Switch. Also, the titles in OP are all on Wii U or other platforms, so it could have been cheaper :p.

Couleurs

I love my Switch, but right now the only upcoming title I care about is Mario.

After reading about Mario Kart's online problems (lag and dropped connections), I lost all interest in MK/Arms/Splatoon since its clear Nintendo is still completely unable to provide an online infrastructure that isn't absolute garbage.

So for now, my Switch is basically a limited use machine for Zelda/Mario/whatever other 1st party single player titles are coming, with a side bonus of being portable if I ever get the urge to take it with me. And really, that's totally fine with me; it fills a nice little niche that my PS4/Xbone can't.

Maybe that'll change over time; I skipped all of the GameCube era and most of the Wii and Wii U eras, so there a lot of titles that I haven't given any consideration to just because I don't have experience with previous titles in those series, and maybe I'll come around when I become more aware of them after seeing them or trying demos.

I don't think it's just Nintendo fans. I'm certainly not a Nintendo fan (or haven't been since SNES) and I absolutely adore this system. As an adult / parent / 40 hour work week slave the Switch has allowed me to dig back into console gaming big time. I want everything to come out for this system, I don't care how gimped it is.

The Switch (along with my gaming laptop) have brought me back to gaming. When I was single without kids, I gamed like crazy on the TV or in front of my PC. Now, being a husband and father and wanting us all at least in the same room, makes Switch gaming awesome. I don't need to hog the TV or be hudled in a corner looking at a pc monitor. I'm on the sofa, sitting next to my wife as she reads and my daughter has a show or movie on the TV.

Not to mention, we all enjoy playing the Nintendo games together too.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

Did you think the same when this forum spermsploded with a trillion Hirai-Cerny memethreads, just to name one?

Let's see, I have 9 games and I'm fairly sure none of them were available on other consoles before they released on Switch, with one exception.

Zelda
Snipperclips
1, 2, Switch
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + (only available on PC)
Wonder Boy
Mr. Shifty
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
Thumper, which is the exception

And we're barely 2 months in. I'll be getting NBA Playgrounds too.

kunonabi

hard for me to call it best launch ever when the only games id buy for the switch up until now are 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, and Bomberman. It will be a solid first year eventually thanks to ARMS, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario, and Xenoblade though. Once the hardware issues are taken care and a redesign with a joycon dpad, among other improvemens, happens it will be a much more appealing proposition for me.

usp84

I have only spent 350 euros for switch and Zelda nothing else i like so far and i don't see it change for at least another 3-4 months

jariw

Meanwhile, I have Botw and MK8D, but am basically going to be glumly staring at the system until Mario launches because I've already played everything else released a couple of years ago >.<

Games I already played? Yah.

Hmm... I think the line up is terribly underwhelming. Vast majority of indies I have elsewhere, Zelda is really the only outstanding title beside MK I guess, but kids weren't interested in the WiiU version and I certainly am not.

I notice two strong NeoGAF memes related to Switch games, and specially the eShop games. The first meme is "I've played those games years ago on other consoles".

The second meme is the opposite: "NoA is so stupid to not bring ports of old games to the console".

AFAIK, it's not theoretically possible to have played games like TumbleSeed, Snake Pass, NBA Playgrounds, Fast RMX, Mr. Shifty, Blaster Master Zero, Graceful Explosion Machine, Snipperclips, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, Wonder Boy earlier on other consoles. VOEZ is only teoretically possible to have played earlier on mobile.

Calm Mind

aprOzrM_700b.jpg

giphy.gif

didnt we all agreed that buying a second switch is a better investment than just buying the extra joycons?

thread references aside, im taking it slow, i plan to get mario kart in black friday and only just day one'd zelda. i would love ports of the latest mario games on the wiiu and some mario party would be lovely

Mithos

Good thing stuff like ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Xenobalde 2 are already announced then. Whenever i read "only Zelda and Mario" i feel like these people just don't even bother looking out for what might be for them on the console.

So still only Zelda and Mario as reason for why I'd get a Switch, NOW WHAT?

kromeo

I don't buy mediocre launch games just for the sake of it, the only difference from any other console launch is the fact I had to buy a controller

Realeza

Banned
Meanwhile, I have Botw and MK8D, but am basically going to be glumly staring at the system until Mario launches because I've already played everything else released a couple of years ago >.<

That's your fault for not opening up to new experiences.

Quake1028

Gamecube?

Luigi's Mansion
Super Monkey Ball
Wave Race: Blue Storm
All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SSX Tricky
NFL Quarterback Club 2002

All in 2 months

giphy.gif

Spy

Let's see, I have 9 games and I'm fairly sure none of them were available on other consoles before they released on Switch, with one exception.

Zelda
Snipperclips
1, 2, Switch
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + (only available on PC)
Wonder Boy
Mr. Shifty
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
Thumper, which is the exception

And we're barely 2 months in. I'll be getting NBA Playgrounds too.

Shovel Knight, Thumper, The Binding of Isaac, and Mario Kart 8 are all basically ports. 1, 2, Switch is a terrible "game". I'll give you the others though. By July (especially if they can get the Virtual Console going) I think the Switch will be solid.

ARMS
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Spkatoon 2

N.Grim

I see you have played Arms on the PS1 like that guy

Interfectum

I love how Zelda and MK8D are relegated to 'meh those are ports' status because they were on the Wii U. You'd think that system was a massive success based on some of the responses here.

The same happen to me the first six months after the X1 release. I wanted to own all the games released. Eventually realised that I don't have enough time to play them all. At the moment I haven't even touched Crimson Dragon.
Right now, I don't even buy games that I'm highly interested because of time and, after last holiday, I won't buy games at launch unless it's something monumental.

Midas

No one's forcing you to get one. :)

I'm in the same place. I played Zelda on my Wii U though. There are no games that I want for Switch, we'll see what happens at E3. I think that maybe a new Metroid would be a system seller for me.

Mithos

Broaden your horizons. Xenoblade, Arms, Splatoon... All good stuff from Nintendo. These are relevant IPs that represent current Nintendo. Get with the times.

Sorry for not having your taste (NOT).

This person have pretty much the reaction I had to ARMS, and Splatoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3guC2nYePVo

No one's forcing you to get one. :)

I'm in the same place. I played Zelda on my Wii U though. There are no games that I want for Switch, we'll see what happens at E3. I think that maybe a new Metroid would be a system seller for me.

No no one is forcing me to buy one, but people seem to have a knack to throw out insults if you for some reason don't have their taste when it comes to games, I don't buy hardware because it have 100 games on it, if 99 of them has no interest to me, but hey I guess there has to be something wrong with me then, I mean, I must be uneducated, ignorant, or I have not done my homework...

Gurish

Hmm what so special about this line up am I missing something?

Other than Zelda which is a must have (and also got a solid WiiU version) none of those games you bought seems special, I can't say it's an horrible line up cause let's face it, PS4 and XB1 didn't even have one must have title for a very long time, but it's not anything even close to being great or good, just a decent at best.

Shouldn't warrant a thread about Switch's "killer first year" that's for sure, we had far better first years from other consoles in the past, including and especially from Nintendo.

goldenpp72

I own about 20 games on it, to which 6 of them are old Neogeo games but the rest are new games, pretty surprising considering I thought I'd only own a few by now.

Spy

The same happen to me the first six months after the X1 release. I wanted to own all the games released. Eventually realised that I don't have enough time to play them all. At the moment I haven't even touched Crimson Dragon.
Right now, I don't even buy games that I'm highly interested because of time and, after last holiday, I won't buy games at launch unless it's something monumental.
I was the exact same with the PS4 and it was stupid, lol. I pretty much bought every game that came out in the first 6 months. It was a terrible waste of money as I haven't even played half of them.

Broaden your horizons. Xenoblade, Arms, Splatoon... All good stuff from Nintendo. These are relevant IPs that represent modern Nintendo. Get up to speed.
I would like to try Xenoblade 2 because for some reason it reminds me of Phantasy Star Online. Problem is I didn't play the first game and have no desire to play the sequel if I didn't complete the original. I'm hoping it will get a Switch port.

It's made up primarily of games that actually make sense on a Nintendo console, which is not usually the way we see third-party support pan out for a Nintendo system in the early days.

Before, with the Wii U (and even the Wii to a degree) the system itself rarely offered anything that warranted a premium price point, as Nintendo hardware has been underpowered but the portability factor completely changes that.

This is not the reason Wii U titles didn't warrant a premium price point.

AColdDay

Nintendo did something incredibly difficult and conditioned their audience to not wait for sales. From a consumer standpoint, Nintendo 1st party games have the most value at launch. Nintendo 1st party stuff rarely drops in price, so it just makes sense to go ahead and buy their stuff at full price.

Additionally, right at launch is when the most people are playing the game, so you get to be part of the zeitgeist. If you are on the fence about a game, instead of saying "I'll wait for a sale" you look at the zeitgeist and say "Well, it is now or never". Even beyond this, with the Wii U (and even the Wii to a degree) the system itself rarely offered anything that warranted a premium price point, as Nintendo hardware has been underpowered but the portability factor of the Switch completely changes that. Being able to seamlessly switch between the two modes (portable and console) is a totally new experience for these kinds of games.

venomenon

NOW... don't buy it if it isn't for you? Life can be so easy sometimes.

@topic:
I prefer indies on Steam 99% of the time, the Switch exclusives satisfy my mobile gaming needs, so I'm fine with my expenditures as of now.

skypunch

Banned
Sorry for not having your taste (NOT).

This person have pretty much the reaction I had to ARMS, and Splatoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3guC2nYePVo

You haven't even played them and you're already writing them off. You're simply not open to new experiences and that's you're fault.

I would like to try Xenoblade 2 because for some reason it reminds me of Phantasy Star Online. Problem is I didn't play the first game and have no desire to play the sequel if I didn't complete the original. I'm hoping it will get a Switch port.

The games are standalone, so you don't need to play the first game. Xenoblade 2 is a sequel in the same way Final Fantasy 2 is a sequel to Final Fantasy 1.

Other than Zelda which is a must have (and also got a solid WiiU version) none of those games you bought seems special, I can't say it's an horrible line up cause let's face it, PS4 and XB1 didn't even have one must have title for a very long time, but it's not anything even close to being great or good, just a decent at best.

Shouldn't warrant a thread about Switch's "killer first year" that's for sure, we had far better first years from other consoles in the past, including and especially from Nintendo.
Agreed. I think Wii U probably had a better lineup cuz it had Monster Hunter really fast and it mops the floor with any game on the Switch right now.

Starting to get bored of Mario Kart so all I have is Zelda really. Maybe I'll get Splatoon if there's a demo or something.

AColdDay

It's made up primarily of games that actually make sense on a Nintendo console, which is not usually the way we see third-party support pan out for a Nintendo system in the early days.

This is not the reason Wii U titles didn't warrant a premium price point.

The point I'm trying to make is that you might pay full price for a game if it was the absolute most gorgeous version of a game, like how people will double dip on a PC version despite owning it on a console. That wasn't the case for the Wii U, and both the Wii U and the Wii lacked anything about the systems that made them the preferred way to play them. i remember vividly about people complaining about "tacked on" motion controls for third party Wii games, and the off-tv play of the Wii U wasn't a game-changer for people.

Now with the Switch, being able to play a console game on the go is a feature that adds value to the games value.

Spy

You haven't even played them and you're already writing them off. You're simply not open to new experiences and that's you're fault.

The games are standalone, so you don't need to play the first game. Xenoblade 2 is a sequel in the same way Final Fantasy 2 is a sequel to Final Fantasy 1.
So there's no continuation to the story of the other game(s) at all? If that's the case, I'll pick it up at launch,

MazeHaze

Banned

I really don't think there's anything wrong with being completely disinterested in a game. Are you supposed to just buy it and try it because it's Nintendo? Surely there are games which you have no interest in that you don't purchase? Or do you purchase games you think look bad just to be open minded?

Gator86

Broaden your horizons. Xenoblade, Arms, Splatoon... All good stuff from Nintendo. These are relevant IPs that represent modern Nintendo. Get up to speed.

Maybe some people don't care? ARMs doesn't interest me at all. Splatoon is fine, I guess. I played it on WiiU for a week then got bored and moved on. Xenoblade is kind of meh but Tatsu is definitely not food. Just because something is from Nintendo doesn't make it actually special.

phanphare

Banned
And here I'm sitting waiting for reasons to even go pick one up (Zelda and Mario ain't enough), e3 cant come sooner and make or break the Switch.

if Zelda and Mario aren't enough then I don't know why you're interested in the platform at all

which is fine, of course, it's just curious that you'd even be sitting there waiting for reasons. I don't even need an 8-ball to tell me the console is not in your future.

PSFan

I don't think the launch is that great, tbh. So far, the only physical games I have are Zelda and Setsuna, and I also have Shovel Knight digitally. Didn't get MK8, because frankly, I hated it on WiiU and had no desire to play it again on Switch.

So far, I have 5 physical games preordered for the rest of the year (D5, USF2, ARMS, Splatoon, and Odyssey). But I have many more games preordered for PS4, 3DS and Vita for the rest of the year (twice what I have preordered on Switch for the year on PS4 alone).

So it's not the Switch killing my wallet, it's everything else.

ChanMan

I only have MK 8 for it and that is all I want for now. I am honestly excited for the Virtual Console to be possibly launched next month and that should be enough to hold me over until Mario Odyssey, X2 and whatever else games they launch this fall.

Top Bottom