• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman dies after male gym employee refuses to enter ladies locker room

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCKaos

Fucking Planet Fitness.

"We shame and run off people who want to lift any sizable weight and then the people we do let in die on the floor of our bathroom."

Kapsama

Easy to judge but...

Whilst at fault for inaction, maybe he was concerned of 'Pervert guy gets sexual harassment suit and sued by women he saw in the buff at gym'. I've heard of stranger headlines on GAF

I'm not defending him, the gym should have clear training for such occasions and he should have called 911 but if he's a normal guy then he's going to have to live with this for life. I know it would eat me up.

Yeah and this. If hed not been trained, had saved her but shed been paralysed or some such he still would have been sued the shit out of. Again its not a defence but in that heat of the moment, clear lines of thinking are hard to come by

Worse than that, imagine being put on the sex offender list. Your life is pretty much over at that point.

And lol @ expecting minimum wage slaves to know cpr and first aid. That's not the sort of society we live in the US.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
i bet you at least one of these women had a working cellphone in their purse

I wouldn't be completely shocked either. But if I saw someone collapse at Best Buy, I might yell for one of the employees to call 911 before I think about my own phone. I can honestly imagine that scenario, where outside of the home people look for an authority figure before they realize that they also have the power to assist.

I have slightly more sympathy for the women that were in the changing room since they were out of their element. They probably figured that employees are trained for that type of thing. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. The guy refusing to go in the women's locker room...I can't excuse as easily. It reeks of a dangerous thought process. Where someone is more afraid of breaking the rules than dealing with a dangerous situation.

If you were walking my your neighbor's house and saw they collapsed in the doorway, would you just keep walking or would you enter to assist? Would you be so afraid of getting some strange trespassing charge before your instinct to help a fellow human being kicked in? Dude lacked a little common sense. Who knows if his intervention mattered. I don't like dealing in those type of hypotheticals when we know the result ended so tragically. I just know he messed up, even if he wasn't sure how serious it was.

I don't think he should be charged with murder or anything, that's lunacy. But I think he should resign from the gym.

raindoc

Unless the training has changed since I've done it, you're not taught to administer CPR when the person still has a pulse.

it did change. you're not supposed to look for a pulse, only for signs of life and whether or not the person is breathing normally. if that isn't the case you start CPR.

also @whoever posted this nonsense: drowning victims do not have a better chance to survive - since the cardiac arrest in a drowning victim is usually induced by hypoxia, the chance of survival is actually smaller than when having a cardiac arrest due to a heart attack.

OnPoint

But you're also taught in any kind of emergency response training that unless you single out a specific person and instruct them to call 911, people will be bumbling idiots and pass around responsibility.

I was never taught that. I was taught that if someone is in trouble you do everything you can to help. I've called 911 in the past when I've seen trouble in the past. If I was in that situation I'd have probably called 911 myself, Planet Fitness worker be damned.

Yes we do. What we don't do is tell people to find the cashier and tell them about the incident.

So it's the person who came to the cashier's fault instead? C'mon, maybe she's just as wrong but his inaction is inexcusable.

akira28

Or abducted by female aliens taken to a sex planet for life with every desire fulfilled.

Saying he would definitely get fired is ridiculous.

Glad I am a MAN then and would rather try and help save a life than think of a small consequence.
your a maaaaaaaaaan.. (branded)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Worse than that, imagine being put on the sex offender list. Your life is pretty much over at that point.

And lol @ expecting minimum wage slaves to know cpr and first aid. That's not the sort of society we live in the US.

I've had two minimum wage jobs that paid for me to be CPR/First Aid certified. In many cases the state requires employees in certain jobs to be certified. A gym seems to be the kind of place that should fall under those requirements but clearly they dont.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Where did this come from?

He told them a woman was about to show up who could help them, he might have known she had cpr training, she then showed up around the same time he called 911, so my thought is maybe no one considered it until she showed up and told him what to do.

Since she still had a pulse by the time the employee with CPR training arrived, wouldn't you not give her CPR? It's been a few years since my last training, but I seem to recall CPR is only for victims without a pulse. Not sure what anyone could have done in this case, but someone should have called 911 sooner.

Shambles

Not that it wasn't a poor choice for the guy but what was stopping the other women there, most notably the first people on the scene from helping the woman? Do I have some magic medicine power from my male chromosome that I don't know about?

Guy shoulda called 911. But the other woman there could've done the same. Both are morons, the guy maybe more so because he works there and should know how to deal with this kind of situation.

But I can't blame the guy for not going into the locker room.
He couldn't have done anything for the collapsed woman the other woman couldn't have done anyway, so why risk going in there and getting sued/fired?
It's not like he was a doctor or medic, right?

Dunlop

But I can't blame the guy for not going into the locker room.
He couldn't have done anything for the collapsed woman the other woman couldn't have done anyway, so why risk going in there and getting sued/fired?
It's not like he was a doctor or medic, right?
I can 100% blame that guy. 911 should have instantly been called and then did everything in his power to help the woman. This is a gym, it is not out of the ordinary to expect a scenario like this to occur

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
He was the guy in charge, Dawg. Even if he didn't know life-saving techniques, he should've gone in, assessed the situation, and then called 911.
Or just called 911 immediately after being told what happened. We don't know a true timeline of events to know if he actually just waited there doing nothing for 5 minutes, or what exactly happened.

It's not unreasonable to expect someone who works in a place where men and women of a wide variety of ages work their bodies often to exhaustion to know some first aid. Regardless of whether he could have done anything, it was the correct move to seek him out and if he didn't know first aid he still should have called 911 immediately regardless and then gone to see what had happened to at the very least assess the situation, calm other gym goers down, and lend whatever help he can, even if it was as simple as watching over her until medics arrived.

We don't know the full details, but he should have called 911 immediately after the women told him what happened. Did he do so? I don't know. We don't have a true timeline of events.

MIMIC

Banned
I can 100% blame that guy. 911 should have instantly been called and then did everything in his power to help the woman. This is a gym, it is not out of the ordinary to expect a scenario like this to occur

So if this happened somewhere else (like a hotel, school, or grocery store), he'd be excused?

wildfire

Banned
If you're at the gym, your stuff is usually in a locker and you don't have access to a phone. An employee would be able to use a phone at any moment without a delay if they're at the front desk.
I guess you haven't been in many gyms. I could get my phone out of the Locker faster than I could reach the front desk in the half dozen gyms I've used.

It's inexcusable if he took 5 minutes to call paramedics but let's not pretend the people who originally found her didn't mess up.

Hey nitwits, how the fuck is the front desk guy supposed to save this woman's life? He's not a doctor.
At my gym it's very difficult to get a reception on your phone but they have a landline behind the front desk, and also a defibrillator, so getting whoever was at the front desk would be the first thing I would do.

Although I've also had the person behind the front desk ask me what the number is the for emergency services when they needed to call....so I wouldn't have much confidence.

entremet

Employees are taught never to question authority and be sheep and public schools, society reinforces this passivity.

raindoc

Doesn't doing CPR correctly require breaking the person's ribs?

it isn't required, it is just what happens in most of the cases (but most of the cases are older people, it's less likely to happen in young folks).

and again i'd like to remind people that you're not supposed to look for a pulse anymore. even nurses and doctors get that wrong if they're not used to these situations.

this is how you do it.

mayiI.jpg

You call, you lose.

this_guy

So it's the person who came to the cashier's fault instead? C'mon, maybe she's just as wrong but his inaction is inexcusable.

Where did I say that? It's not anyone's fault, but didn't you also want charge the cashier for murder?

Stop trying to put more blame on the cashier than he deserves. Also, if someone comes up to me and tells to call 911, I won't call right away until I see what's going on. I won't call 911 just because, and I think most people here won't call 911 unless they see for themselves what's going on.

Where did I say that? It's not anyone's fault, but didn't you also want charge the cashier for murder?

Stop trying to put more blame on the cashier than he deserves. Also, if someone comes up to me and tells to call 911, I won't call right away until I see what's going on. I won't call 911 just because, and I think most people here won't call 911 unless they see for themselves what's going on.

Yeah but then he refused to do that much. Which is the problem. To me the failure is most definitely company policy though.

MIMIC

Banned
Of course not, I am saying it should be expected in a gym

Why is it expected at a gym?

EDIT: (my point was that different places have different standards of care, and it would have been unreasonable to hold the expectations of a gym to that of every place on Earth. A gym? Yes, he probably should have done something considering the establishment and what goes on there. A motel? Probably shouldn't be held to the same expectations)

jimi_dini

a female employee with CPR training found the girl with a weak pulse.

I would rather like to know if she was still breathing. People should check that before checking the pulse (and they probably shouldn't check for pulse at all anymore).

Anyway that guy should have called 911 immediately. And the company should a) teach the employees first aid stuff and b) change rules for such cases and c) teach employees what to do in such case. I guess the guy was in shock and also had no idea what to do.

RPGCrazied

I don't think the company should be held accountable, but that employee needs a fine or some jail time. Not murder life in prison, but enough time to think how stupid he was, costed someone their life.

Bombadil

Banned
it isn't required, it is just what happens in most of the cases (but most of the cases are older people, it's less likely to happen in young folks).

and again i'd like to remind people that you're not supposed to look for a pulse anymore. even nurses and doctors get that wrong if they're not used to these situations.

this is how you do it.

lol. That was great.

this_guy

I don't think the company should be held accountable, but that employee needs a fine or some jail time. Not murder life in prison, but enough time to think how stupid he was, costed someone their life.

The cashier deserves that, but not the women who told him about the situation but also did not call 911?

RPGCrazied

The cashier deserves that, but not the women who told him about the situation but also did not call 911?

Maybe she didn't have a phone on her? She is at the gym ya know, and the cashier has a phone at the ready at the front desk. He could've called, would have took 5 seconds.

BigDug13

In the Navy, if you had to do stuff like this, you just shout "Male on deck!" at the entrance, give everyone a few seconds to cover up or do whatever, then shout it again as you enter.

There's no reason to just refuse to enter.

Camp Lo

Banned

Man... I just couldn't imagine the guy being held on some criminal charges here. He didn't call but he didn't do anything to the woman. I don't know the law, is that even possible?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yeah but then he refused to do that much. Which is the problem. To me the failure is most definitely company policy though.
Did he refuse to call 911? He refused to go to the change room i can see, but it doesn't say he refused to call. It's just as likely that no one considered calling 911 right away, or everyone assumed someone else did it

Did he refuse to call 911? He refused to go to the change room i can see, but it doesn't say he refused to call. It's just as likely that no one considered calling 911 right away, or everyone assumed someone else did it

Read what I bolded. He refused to see the situation for himself, i.e. go in the locker room. Which I blame on company policy.

this_guy

Maybe she didn't have a phone on her? .

Don't give me a maybe, give me a real reason. Why didn't she just pick up the cashier's phone if she didn't have one if it was urgent? Sure she shouldn't pick up the gym's phone because it doesn't belong to her, but if we're going to play that game then the cashier shouldn't go into the ladies' dressing room because he isn't a lady.

The cashier deserves no more blame than the women who told about the situation.

Very little about this story makes any sense so I think, as usual, most of the reactions in here are a little premature.
It's new journalism and the internet, whatca gonna do?

Based on the NY Post article that all the other reports appear to be based on, the guy didn't know what to do (CPR I assume) and the gym didn't have a defibrillator (and someone certified to us it) on site as required by law. If that is in fact the law and they didn't have a defibrillator and someone who knew how to use it, then the gym has a legal mess on their hands. The company's policy on him going in to the women's locker room (or the employee's supposed "fear" of the women's locker room) isn't really at issue since he wouldn't have been any help in there. Too bad no news source can bother to do more than quote the plaintiff's attorney and sworn affidavit.

Depending on how the first women described the situation to the employee, (which is actually in question a bit since she describes what prompted her to go to the front desk as “I saw a woman’s arm drop to the floor, followed immediately by a loud snoring sound.”) then he might be in bit of trouble for not reacting quickly enough, but murder charges, OnPoint? You've got to be kidding. He was first contacted by the first woman at 5:17a, the police arrived at 5:28a. As for the other women being without phones, that doesn't really clear them unless they were somehow prohibited from asking the front desk employee, "May I use your phone to call 911 for a medical emergency?"

Dunlop

Why is it expected at a gym?

EDIT: (my point was that different places have different standards of care, and it would have been unreasonable to hold the expectations of a gym to that of every place on Earth. A gym? Yes, he probably should have done something considering the establishment and what goes on there. A motel? Probably shouldn't be held to the same expectations)

I'm not even sure what point you are arguing with me

First it is expected as a human being to do everything in you power to help another who is in distress

I say especially a gym because people are purposely going to one to push their physical limits, it stands to reason that some will push beyond what their body can handle. Everyone working at a gym should be trained and certified for this scenario.

I worked in hotels growing up and while there are quite a few people with the proper training it is not realistic to expect the company to train all of their employees (i.e housekeeping) but anyone without certification was trained in the proper protocols on what to do in a situation like that

Poorly written and ambiguous article (can't even tell when the female employee showed up), here is a better one:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/left_to_die_in_the_ladies_room_sqPmXV8R5nElvtf08DYrJI

“I heard [a] flush, then a thud,” the member, Stephanie Dick, recalled in a sworn affidavit about the February 2012 incident. “I saw a woman’s arm drop to the floor, followed immediately by a loud snoring sound.”

Dick said she dashed to the front desk and pleaded with gym employee Sean Higgins to help.

Dick said that, getting nowhere, she ran back to Hamlin and pounded on her locked stall door. Another gym member heard and ran out to the front desk.

“She was yelling at Sean to call 911,” Dick recalled.

Video shows the second member waving her arms and pointing to the bathroom at 5:21 a.m. Higgins, at one point, is seen idly looking at a computer screen.

Higgins picked up the phone to dial 911 4 1/2 minutes after learning of Hamlin’s collapse, the video’s time stamp shows.

As Dick talked to the 911 operator via cellphone — eight minutes after members alerted the front desk — another Planet Fitness employee, Kristin Smith, showed up in the locker room and “immediately” checked Hamlin’s pulse, finding it “weak,” the lawyer says.

Smith knows CPR but didn’t perform it, Charnas alleged.

The female employee didn't get there until 8 minutes after the front desk was alerted, and the 911 call had already started so she was not the one that told him to call. The call itself was 4.5 minutes after being alerted, not after the collapse.

Edit: still a little confusing about the gym member and the cell phone. The article says she eventually talked to 911, but was it her cellphone? Did she have it the whole time? From everything else she did, it seems weird for her not to call.

Actually, it seems like the second gym member was the first person to bring up 911. How the first two apparently didn't think of it is crazy.

It was a huge screw up by the guy not to call immediately.

Read what I bolded. He refused to see the situation for himself, i.e. go in the locker room. Which I blame on company policy.

I fail to see how him confirming the situation with his own eyes would have helped at all. This "confirmation" likely would have cost at least 2 minutes, at which point he would not be able to assist anymore than the women that witnessed the victim fall. In this situation, the only thing anyone should be worried about is calling 911.

If your house is burning down, you don't run next door to your neighbor who is washing your car and ask for his hose. In emergencies, contacting emergency services is your first and last step.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Poorly written and ambiguous article (can't even tell when the female employee showed up), here is a better one:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/left_to_die_in_the_ladies_room_sqPmXV8R5nElvtf08DYrJI

The female employee didn't get there until 8 minutes after the front desk was alerted, and the 911 call had already started so she was not the one that told him to call. The call itself was 4.5 minutes after being alerted, not after the collapse.

Edit: still a little confusing about the gym member and the cell phone. The article says she eventually talked to 911, but was it her cellphone? Did she have it the whole time? From everything else she did, it seems weird for her not to call.

Damn. Yeah he should have called immediately. What was he thinking?

I fail to see how him confirming the situation with his own eyes would have helped at all. This "confirmation" likely would have cost at least 2 minutes, at which point he would not be able to assist anymore than the women that witnessed the victim fall. In this situation, the only thing anyone should be worried about is calling 911.

If your house is burning down, you don't run next door to your neighbor who is washing your car and ask for his hose. In emergencies, contacting emergency services is your first and last step.

Of course he should call first, I'm not disputing that. But the idea that he couldn't do that and then go in because "he's not allowed in there" is going to cause more problems then it solves.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm not even sure what point you are arguing with me

First it is expected as a human being to do everything in you power to help another who is in distress

This isn't true. I'm just a first year law student but one is only expected to assist someone to whom they owe a duty to (because not acting is considering negligent). The expectations vary and are not constant.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
This isn't true. I'm just a first year law student but one is only expected to assist someone to whom they owe a duty to (because not acting is considering negligent). The expectations vary and are not constant.

He wasn't saying anything about law.

Camp Lo

Banned

Actually, it seems like the second gym member was the first person to bring up 911. How the first two apparently didn't think of it is crazy.

Updating to OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom