• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Castef

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a card/board game that has some level of strategy but not so deep that make it hard for newcomers? It shouldn't also take hours to play. Id play with my girlfriend mainly so it must be a great 2 player game. Our friends dont speak English so its hard to play with them.

You could try:
- Finca
- Splendor
- Carcassonne
- Sushi Go! (not for 2)
- Qwirkle
- Cacao

I ended up backing the Gloomhaven reprint. It does look really good and I don't want to feel envious anymore.

Will have a gaming day on Tuesday here most likely. Will work through the Arkham Horror LCG stuff we have and take a crack at the Jack the Ripper Sherlock stuffs.

We tried Millennium Blades tonight...
I should be getting a copy soon from a Cardboard Republic giveaway. I'll be mostly playing 3-player and am looking forward to it after watching a bunch of videos. I'll try and give some impressions from our plays once we get the chance to sit down and give it a go.

zulux21

amazon (USA) is having a large board game sale today.

to tired to look through proper right now but someone else's list from bbg

Notable games
Forbidden Island - $8.39
King of Tokyo - $20.59
Bloodborne: The Card Game - $19.99
Zombicide: Black Plague - $55.00
Lost Cities - $12.00
One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak - $12.49
Wits & Wagers Family - $11.87
The Castles of Burgundy - $19.99
The Grizzled - $14.38
Blood Rage - $48.99
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival - $19.55
Imhotep - $21.00
One Night Ultimate Vampire - $14.18
Zombicide - $49.99
Arcadia Quest - $52.71
Agricola $43.29
Scotland Yard $18.89
Enchanted Forest $9.99
Lost Cities Board Game $19.40
Lotus $16.00
Kingdom Builder - $18.29
Ubongo 21.00
Fuse - 15
San juan 17.50
alhambra 13.47
Blood Rage 5th player 20.43
evolution flight 17.00
dimension $30
broom service 19.59
Kahuna 14.00
compounded 21.60
ogre 6th ed $30.00
The others: 7 sins $50.49
new york 1901 19.87
grifters 15.00
good cop bad cop card 12.49
zombicide rue morgue 46.99
zombicide prison break 46.00
tally ho 5.99
KB Nomads $13.65
rose king 7.98
krosmaster quest core box 45.34
space cadets away missions 46.69
indigo family game 16.69
krosmaster arena 2.0 41..09
dohdles 22.94
smugglers 10
glux 15.96
survive space attack 22.99
tumult royale 11.73
good cop bad cop bombers & traitors 9.84
good cap bad cop undercover 10
munchkin wonderlane 23.65
walled city 20.18

I have no link because the one from BBG is clearly an affiliate link so... yeah...
but there are 4 pages (plus one item on the 5th page) of games on sale.

EYEL1NER

Lanterns might be the only thing I pick up. Fuse at $15 is a good deal but I own it. I like some of the prices on some of the CMoN games but they all have unobtainable exclusive content, so fuck buying any of that. Agricola is catching my eye but it's a few bucks above what I'd want to pay for it; I've passed it up at $40 a ton of times. $35 though and I would already be checking for my order confirmation email. Hopefully they add more stuff on Tabletop Day proper, because this is underwhelming. I don't particularly need 7 Wonders, Dominion, or a TtR game, but those are TT Day sale staples. Where the hell are they?

What do people think of "The City of Kings" kickstarter? Has a bit less than 3 days to go.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tcokgame/the-city-of-kings-a-cooperative-adventure-for-1-4

I just saw it last night. Watched some videos and I'm very intrigued by it. Feels almost Gloomhaven-esque but with lighter campaign elements and a bigger focus on variability of the board and enemies.

I watched the Rahdo video for it, and he was floored by how good it was so I ended up backing last night.

zulux21

What do people think of "The City of Kings" kickstarter? Has a bit less than 3 days to go.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tcokgame/the-city-of-kings-a-cooperative-adventure-for-1-4

I just saw it last night. Watched some videos and I'm very intrigued by it. Feels almost Gloomhaven-esque but with lighter campaign elements and a bigger focus on variability of the board and enemies.

I watched the Rahdo video for it, and he was floored by how good it was so I ended up backing last night.
my thoughts are that the only kickstart semi exclusive stuff is in the $100 plus pledges and they will still be available in limited quantities later.

thus I would personally just wait for it to release, get some reviews, and likely save 20-40% buying it from coolstuff once it releases.

Lyng

most likely.
I apologize I should have noted that when it is late I often forget that there are people that use other versions of amazon.

Nah Its fine. I could see the prices where in dollars, was just curious if the U.K. Store would run something similar :)

Anyone following 'Infected' on kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackforeststudio/infected-0/comments

It seems pretty cool, but when a backer pointed out a possible hole in the mechanics, commenters crushed her in rude comments, including the designer.

I backed, but I'm debating pulling my pledge. Rubs me the wrong way.

Holy crap, that devolved. Yeah, I'd definitely pull out. The conversation has definitely train wrecked, but I do believe Sam was trying to help out at the beginning and is at this point being super defensive. The public behavior of BFS is deplorable and who knows what the private message thread looks like. 😓

Keasar

Backed so many Kickstarters recently, Dinosaur Island, Aeon's End: War Eternal, Gloomhaven, Exceed Season 2 and now Brass. Think I am done for a while unless something really amazing comes up.

Or something from Level99. :p

And yeah, the defensiveness some people have towards projects they've backed from Kickstarter can be horrifying.

my thoughts are that the only kickstart semi exclusive stuff is in the $100 plus pledges and they will still be available in limited quantities later.

thus I would personally just wait for it to release, get some reviews, and likely save 20-40% buying it from coolstuff once it releases.

I'd agree. None of the KS "exclusive" stuff is really worth it, other than the QOL additions such as the no-bump character sheet add-on or wooden resource tokens. The cards and enemies are more cosmetic than anything since they don't drastically change the gameplay, and the mini.

Sadly, the designer said that they are likely to only make hundreds of copies for retailers, and not thousands ( source ). Thus, if it gets good reviews it's going to be a scramble to find a copy and it's going to end up like Gloomhaven where they will need to do another KS to get enough copies if it blows up in a big way. I don't KS too many games, so I'm willing to take that risk for now.

JSR_Cube

hahaha. kickstarter was a mistake.

there is no defensiveness in the world like ks-backer defensiveness.

It is a crazy post-Kickstarter boardgaming world. The defensiveness is just one part. It has made the cult of the new explode even more. Brass has risen from 27 to 25 in a week and the Kickstarter isn't anywhere near over and the new version hasn't even started production yet. I think Gloomhaven is a good game but it has to be the fastest rising game on BGG in years.

Kickstarter loves it though. Boardgames are a great source of their income. I think publishers love it too, if they can get backers on their side quickly enough to form a solid defense corps.

zulux21

it won't last long because it was posted on BBG
(4 sold in the last 5 min and 4 are left) but

Fantasy Flight Games Android: Netrunner LCG – Terminal Directive Campaign Expansion Game is $22.23 on amazon.com right now shipped and sold by amazon.

edit: and now it is sold out ><

edit2: actually it seems to be going in and out of stock right now.

Blizzard

Banned
After unboxing and sorting Set Rotation (the card counts aren't precisely what the rules say they are, and the errata cards were already fixed in my reprinted main game copy), my Millenium Blades box weighs 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg).

And that's WITHOUT sleeving like 1000 cards. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
it won't last long because it was posted on BBG
(4 sold in the last 5 min and 4 are left) but

Fantasy Flight Games Android: Netrunner LCG – Terminal Directive Campaign Expansion Game is $22.23 on amazon.com right now shipped and sold by amazon.

edit: and now it is sold out ><

edit2: actually it seems to be going in and out of stock right now.
Weird doesn't even show up in my results.

zulux21

Weird doesn't even show up in my results.

yeah I can only seem to find it by checking my orders now.

sorry I didn't get it posted faster as it was up for about 20 minutes total.

in general I am going to try to do a good job of posting the board game deals
the only issue is a lot of places use reference links which are a no no to post here which means I don't like direct linking them. :/

thus why I usually just say and don't have links

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah I can only seem to find it by checking my orders now.

sorry I didn't get it posted faster as it was up for about 20 minutes total.

in general I am going to try to do a good job of posting the board game deals
the only issue is a lot of places use reference links which are a no no to post here which means I don't like direct linking them. :/

thus why I usually just say and don't have links
Ha no worries man! Appreciate the effort

mercviper

Anyone following 'Infected' on kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackforeststudio/infected-0/comments

It seems pretty cool, but when a backer pointed out a possible hole in the mechanics, commenters crushed her in rude comments, including the designer.

I backed, but I'm debating pulling my pledge. Rubs me the wrong way.

I was curious as to how bad a flaw that was and wow it's just unplayable once you figure it out. Really weird how designer keeps defending it instead of trying to fix.

Lyng

I was curious as to how bad a flaw that was and wow it's just unplayable once you figure it out. Really weird how designer keeps defending it instead of trying to fix.

Also all those guys dog piling her, instead of asking the designer to fix his broken game.
I have a feeling if it wasn't a woman pointing out that flaw the reaction would have been different, which is sad and dumb.

Experien

Also all those guys dog piling her, instead of asking the designer to fix his broken game.
I have a feeling if it wasn't a woman pointing out that flaw the reaction would have been different, which is sad and dumb.

When I first saw that game, something threw me off when hearing the rules described to me. Passing out certain cards to people and the doctor having certain cards didn't sit well with me. The creator couldn't really explain it to me in a message so I passed.

mercviper

I just like to believe they're all just idiots instead of there being inherent misogyny.

I think the worst part were the comments pointing out yes, she's right you can break the game that way but why would you ever play it that way? As if collaborating in a semi-coop game is something you should never do. And then the (what I feel must be) intentional misunderstanding of her examples to show ambiguous results.

ultron87

When I first saw that game, something threw me off when hearing the rules described to me. Passing out certain cards to people and the doctor having certain cards didn't sit well with me. The creator couldn't really explain it to me in a message so I passed.

The rule about not being able to talk about it or accuse once you've been given infection card, including the ones that don't kill you immediately, seems inherently problematic. You suddenly aren't allowed to talk about certain things or take certain game actions, but you also can't say that you can't say a thing, or why you can't say that. If someone says "hey, who do you think it is?" you kind of just can't do anything I think? Which, in itself, is a signal which is probably against the rules?

It's like the Hanabi communication restrictions rules that are fine because everyone can cooperatively decide how much you're willing to allow "cheating", but in a competitive game where the only person that would call you out on said cheating is the villain who obviously doesn't want to do that.

zulux21

funagain games is having their spring clearance, I haven't had a chance to look at the prices yet but they usually have some decent prices in their sales in between a lot of not so decent prices :p

https://www.funagain.com/control/ca...house+Sale!+Over+a+thousand+games+on+sale+now!

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widows Walk $13.99
spyfall 2 - $14.99
Coup: Rebellion G54 - $15

a ton of netrunner packs are on sale for half off.
tail feathers $21.99
Niña & Pinta for $22 is a great deal
Cuba Libre for $35
Scoville: Labs - $12.99
Posthuman - $24.99
Cyclades: Titans - $39.99
Rent-A-Hero - $5.99

I picked up
SySx7m-.png

mercviper

Worse I probably won't get a chance to play it for awhile since my group that would play something like this with me lives in Florida and I still have a year left of school up North :|

haha yeah most of my normal campaign group has moved away but I'm pretty sure I can drum up some regulars from my other friends.

chifanpoe

funagain games is having their spring clearance, I haven't had a chance to look at the prices yet but they usually have some decent prices in their sales in between a lot of not so decent prices :p

https://www.funagain.com/control/ca...house+Sale!+Over+a+thousand+games+on+sale+now!

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widows Walk $13.99
spyfall 2 - $14.99
Coup: Rebellion G54 - $15

a ton of netrunner packs are on sale for half off.
tail feathers $21.99
Niña & Pinta for $22 is a great deal
Cuba Libre for $35
Scoville: Labs - $12.99
Posthuman - $24.99
Cyclades: Titans - $39.99
Rent-A-Hero - $5.99

I picked up

They also have Indonesia for $74.99 and a $5 off discount (WELCOME) so you can pick it up for $69.99.

Speaking of Indonesia, anyone with version 2.0 can get a nice resource upgrade kit(fixes the silly oversized wood bits and cardboard boats) from spielmaterial for about $19.50 shipped. They have been out of stock for a while but had 12 in as of this morning. https://www.spielematerial.de/en/replacements-indonesia.html

zulux21

They also have Indonesia for $74.99 and a $5 off discount (WELCOME) so you can pick it up for $69.99.

thanks for the add... most expensive games or strat heavy games aren't going to be on my radar enough to know if they are good prices.

most of the time I just pass on good price recommendations from board game geek lol.

Yeah it all came off as "it is like the resistance, it'll be fine!"

Those comments though :| I think the board game community has done a good job of moving away from those conservative roots... but I guess not quite there yet.

Time Stories, is this even worth investing in. Base game is $50 and once you beat the included scenario you pretty much wont want to play it again? And the expansions are $30 each? This seems way over priced for what you get

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Time Stories, is this even worth investing in. Base game is $50 and once you beat the included scenario you pretty much wont want to play it again? And the expansions are $30 each? This seems way over priced for what you get

It is fun, but yes it is way overpriced and way overrated. Absolutely no pont ever playing through one of the scenarios more than once.

Experien

I get them cheap online, I think I got the base game for $30ish and get the other games below $26. They are fun and feel really well planned out. I hear rumors of a connected storyline and being at the third one, more stuff is popping up. Each story does something a bit different and they are becoming more apparent how they are differing.

I get them cheap online, I think I got the base game for $30ish and get the other games below $26. They are fun and feel really well planned out. I hear rumors of a connected storyline and being at the third one, more stuff is popping up. Each story does something a bit different and they are becoming more apparent how they are differing.

Still sounds way to expensive for what is essentially a pack of cards in the expansions and a set you will play once? I could see the appeal if this shit was cheaper, like Sherlock gives you about 15-20 hours of entertainment in the box before you are done with it.

Experien

Still sounds way to expensive for what is essentially a pack of cards in the expansions and a set you will play once? I could see the appeal if this shit was cheaper, like Sherlock gives you about 15-20 hours of entertainment in the box before you are done with it.

I enjoyed playing Time Stories more than Consulting Detective. You could try splitting the costs among a group of friends?

Top Bottom