• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Browder's prepared statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee - must read

Donos

Holy shit at that all... Damn
Maybe some things are over dramatized but there has to be a lot of it true.

Read that all (3 mins)!

Oberon

Banned
Realitiy is greater than fiction.
Putin literally letting oprhans die to get what he want. Were there ever any doubts that the Russian gouvernement is the worst?

I am still confused by what Fusion GPS's role was.

They did oppo against Romney, but they were also hired to be anti-Magninsky, and they funded the Steele Dossier?

I think it goes like this in the broadest of strokes (someone please correct me if I'm wrong): Fusion GPS is anti-Magnitsky first and foremost. They funded opposition against Romney because Romney took a hard line against Russia throughout his 2012 presidential campaign, and thus it followed that he would support the Act, which was introduced to Congress the summer before the election. They funded the Steele Dossier because, presumably, it is useful blackmail against Trump should he get into the position to take action against the Act and balk at doing so.

UberTag

If Putin does have all that money tied up here, then it would be safe to assume that he not only has dirt on Trump, but possibly a lot of other people.

Unreal......
Just puts an exclamation point on the fact that even ridding ourselves of Trump won't end this. Not by a long shot.

Dude c'mon, that act was voted on in what, 2010, 2012? Long before the primary. I don't know why Bernie voted against it, but that kind of ridiculous accusatory speculation helps no one.

I'm actually kind of curious about this. He voted against another sanctions bill (against Iran and Russia) recently. I wonder why he's so adverse to sanctions?

edit: here's a statement he made on the recent vote

"I am strongly supportive of the sanctions on Russia included in this bill. It is unacceptable for Russia to interfere in our elections here in the United States, or anywhere around the world. There must be consequences for such actions. I also have deep concerns about the policies and activities of the Iranian government, especially their support for the brutal Assad regime in Syria. I have voted for sanctions on Iran in the past, and I believe sanctions were an important tool for bringing Iran to the negotiating table. But I believe that these new sanctions could endanger the very important nuclear agreement that was signed between the United States, its partners and Iran in 2015. That is not a risk worth taking, particularly at a time of heightened tension between Iran and Saudi Arabia and its allies. I think the United States must play a more even-handed role in the Middle East, and find ways to address not only Iran's activities, but also Saudi Arabia's decades-long support for radical extremism."

If Putin does have all that money tied up here, then it would be safe to assume that he not only has dirt on Trump, but possibly a lot of other people.

Unreal......

It's not just Putin but other oligarchs tied to him. They all get rich as long as he gets a cut. Panama Papers exposed some of this.

I believe there's some who try and sneak through so there's interest from RIS and Putin to keep an eye out for anyone trying to go out on their own.

The money is stolen out of Russia and then laundered in the west, typically with real estate purchases.

Now who could a bunch of real estate properties with shady Russian organized crime connections??

Oh and look up Russia defrauding Medicaid. They have other scams on the go as well.

https://www.google.ca/amp/abcnews.g...5-million-indictment-claims/story?id=21110274

Basically laugh at anyone who thinks relations with Russia are a good thing or even necessary.

Ithil

To see Putin's enormous ill-gotten gains over his long dictatorship wiped out at some point would probably cause me to laugh harder than I have in my entire life. Perhaps it would even kill me, but at least I would die happy, which would be more than I could say for Putin.

subrock

To see Putin's enormous ill-gotten gains over his long dictatorship wiped out at some point would probably cause me to laugh harder than I have in my entire life. Perhaps it would even kill me, but at least I would die happy, which would be more than I could say for Putin.

Makes me wonder how you overthrow someone with $200bn in the bank, but I guess his money is only as good as his access to it.

Shoeless

That's a great article. I wonder whether it will have any impact on the people that most need to know this, or will Trump supporters simply acknowledge it as one more "masterstroke" for the President to team up with such a winner and stick it to the libtards?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's a great article. I wonder whether it will have any impact on the people that most need to know this, or will Trump supporters simply acknowledge it as one more "masterstroke" for the President to team up with such a winner and stick it to the libtards?

"fake news"
"witch hunt"

You're starting off the premise that Trump supporters care about facts. They are immune to them. Otherwise they wouldn't have supported him in the first place lol.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

The ones I know will more likely not read it and stay in denial. Maybe pick up some talking points about Magnitsky being the con and this being liberal smoke an mirrors. Still going to share it.

Shadybiz

Just got a chance to read it....holy shit. Will watch the testimony when I get home.

There is zero chance that his supporters will actually read this...it's far too long.

I always love reading these feel good stories about Russia. It's not like we share a border with them or anything... Oh wait. (I'm Finnish so Russia is our friendly neighbor)

Although America is as corrupt as it gets, they aren't even close to Putin yet.

What I get from this is that the whole Trump family and Kushner have been using dirty Russian money to fund their real estate businesses for years, essentially laundering Russian money now frozen by the Magninsky Act.

Pretty damning information when you start connecting some dots.

All this makes sense now why Trump is so worried about the investigation looking into his money and assets. Also why he will not release his taxes this article http://www.reuters.com/investigates...vestigates/special-report/usa-trump-property/

from reuters spells it out right from the opening sentence it says
A Reuters review found that at least 63 individuals with Russian passports or addresses have bought at least $98.4 million worth of property in seven Trump-branded luxury towers in southern Florida.

I always love reading these feel good stories about Russia. It's not like we share a border with them or anything... Oh wait. (I'm Finnish)

Although America is as corrupt as it gets, they aren't even close to Putin yet.

They're technically pretty close, until Trump gives them back Alaska.

bounchfx

just finished reading it, insane

watch how nothing happens
fuck I hope something happens in response to this, but it's just hard to believe because of everything else we've already witnessed with zero consequences

I think it goes like this in the broadest of strokes (someone please correct me if I'm wrong): Fusion GPS is anti-Magnitsky first and foremost. They funded opposition against Romney because Romney took a hard line against Russia throughout his 2012 presidential campaign, and thus it followed that he would support the Act, which was introduced to Congress the summer before the election. They funded the Steele Dossier because, presumably, it is useful blackmail against Trump should he get into the position to take action against the Act and balk at doing so.

Trump is such a freaking idiot lol

I got home and my family is watching the evening news on MSNBC and I thought for sure that this would be the top news story at 4pm. Nope.... 100% Mooch coverage.

Mission Accomplished I suppose. I may stop laughing at those folks that say Trump and co.'s antics are a distraction now.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I got home and my family is watching the evening news on MSNBC and I thought for sure that this would be the top news story at 4pm. Nope.... 100% Mooch coverage.

Mission Accomplished I suppose. I may stop laughing at those folks that say Trump and co.'s antics are a distraction now.

I think Rachel Maddow will probably talk about it and she draws a huge crowd, so many people would hear about it

Glix

I would be shocked if Rachel wasn't all over it later.

The Trump bit doesn’t add up - they were preparing a dossier for non-Russians which would only help to either stop him getting into power or help remove him once he’s in. That doesn’t help them remove the sanctions. It’d make sense if they were collating the oppo to give to Russia.

Darg

Neo Member
For sure this is worthy of being Huge (with a capital U,G and E). If a title in the style of clickbait bling bling flashines is required for that to happen then so be it.

This whole story is fucked up in so many ways I don't even know where to begin. People definitely need to read this. These people are monsters.

After reading all of this, i can say with confidence that the word "monster" is not enough for these people. Something worse would be fitting.

And that's just in Florida, how much money have they laundered via him in New York?

You can bet on it. At the very least there has to have been some activity.

jelly

Pyotr Katsyv, father to Denis Katsyv, is a senior Russian government official and well-placed member of the Putin regime; Denis Katsyv was caught by U.S. law enforcement using proceeds from the crime that Sergei Magnitsky uncovered to purchase high-end Manhattan real estate (the case recently settled with the Katsyv’s paying $6 million to the U.S. government). Natalia Veselnitskaya was their lawyer.

Who on earth let them settle that?

Shouldn't the people who basically went against the act or lobbied for it be put on a list to be investigated.

theWB27

Any coverage this can get would be great but it feels like it should everywhere not just on Maddow's show.

I hope it blows up.. but if there really is legislation that prevents trump from firing Mueller in the works i can have a little relief knowing the investigation is following this.

jelly

All this makes sense now why Trump is so worried about the investigation looking into his money and assets. Also why he will not release his taxes this article http://www.reuters.com/investigates...vestigates/special-report/usa-trump-property/

from reuters spells it out right from the opening sentence it says

What's also interesting is Trump just leases out his name more or less for a lot of these things so doesn't actually profit in mega bucks, gets a cut I'm sure but he is helping them money launderer which also leaves open who backs these properties with funding to be built who would also be in deep shit. I get the feeling the Trump brand has survived on life support for so long because it's basically a "Hello, Money Laundering here!" brand. If he has the funds to buy property, it's extremely dodgy funds that set up money laundering or he doesn't have any funds.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I mean, wow...this dude just connected all the dots for everyone to see...how he lived long enough to do this I have no idea, he must have an incredible security team.

On the recent Planet Money podcast, he said he hasn't eaten at the same restaurant twice in years.

Omadahl

Banned
This was a terrifying read. I can only imagine what happens when Putin dies and the oligarchy teras itself apart over the dragons treasure.

Thanks for this, this one is both days of testimony as far as I understand.
edit; never mind I think it just goes on repeat half way through

Did he appear yesterday at another hearing? At the end they mention him staying over night for this one, which is what started me getting confused.
He was scheduled to testify yesterday but Dems cut the hearing short so they could go protest the ACA repeal.

Karkador

Banned
The Trump bit doesn’t add up - they were preparing a dossier for non-Russians which would only help to either stop him getting into power or help remove him once he’s in. That doesn’t help them remove the sanctions. It’d make sense if they were collating the oppo to give to Russia.

Russia's blackmail info on Trump is separate from the dossier (which simply makes note of it). That dirt was collected years before the dossier was written.

You're right that the sequence of events is a little fuzzy, but we do know that Trump's campaign met with these people to discuss "adoptions", the same shit they're talking about here. Those pieces certainly add up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Halfway in and the account is so alarming and damning that anyone that has spoken lightly of Putin and his regime by this administration is pure inhumane traitorous scum and should be treated as such.

What in the flying fuck is the GOP doing? America is meant to fight against atrocities such as this.

Top Bottom