• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Did this article really need to exist in the first place? I read it and it was well done and I agreed with it, but I just feel like the world wouldn't be much of a different place if he never bothered to write it. Only result is now we have this mess on our hands and he no longer has a job.

You'll still see a "mildy respected" games journalist next to a mound of advertising in 2013, I would bet on it.

PrimeRib_

Shouldn't ethics policies in place, prevent its staff from accepting offers or engaging in activities that could otherwise misconstrue their journalistic integrity? In any other industry, accepting offers in this fashion would be grounds for termination.

Lime

another one down for the count:

unavngivetrlsnm.png

good night, sweet prince.

The image really, truly is hilarious, and very telling. Rab Florence wrote a solid article but nothing even necessarily had to be written about it. The image completely speaks for itself.

kLHUo.png

Totally agree. They should have given the article a title, posted that picture, then had "By: Rab Florence" at the end of the picture.

A picture is worth a thousand words and that picture could be worth more. So awesome, so telling. I cringe and crack up at the same time, and those are hard emotions to combine until you see that image.

Moobabe

Did this article really need to exist in the first place? I read it and it was well done and I agreed with it, but I just feel like the world wouldn't be much of a different place if he never bothered to write it. Only result is now we have this mess on our hands and he no longer has a job.

You'll still see a "mildy respected" games journalist next to a mound of advertising in 2013, I would bet on it.

Surely exploration of issues like this can only improve "games journalism" as a whole?

Grecco

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Why does he need 4 Mountain Dews? I mean even if he plans to eat the entire bag of Doritos, 4 Mountain Dews is too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXSI6O9lUo&t=3m41s

He wanted to impress his friends.

CVMP4.jpg

Just an excerpt...

Got to remember that this isn't a witch hunt for people "on the take" for truing to get a ps3. As the article someone posted (that I don't want to go back an entire page to search for the link for) stated, alot of people use these events for self promotion. The original editorial was about how acts like these that have become the norm for people in the industry can easily be seen by others from the outside as a lack of integrity.

Or something.

That's just tantamount to how much Rab (and John Walker, for his articles) care about the matter. I'm sure they weren't feeling confident about whether or not their writing would have any impact whatsoever, but it's still worth a punt, ya know?

mik83kuu

Banned

Now besides Balotelli being ignorant or trolling, this is the dumbest post on this page. You really think the issue of integrity and the pitfalls that journalists might fall in regards to their actions should not be discussed just because it would turn to be "a mess"? Seriously? Please tell me you are joking.

I can't honestly say Geoff has done ANYTHING for this industry other than infect it with the mountain dew-filled tumor that is the Spike Video Game awards.

If he's done anything else notable, please let me know.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-final-hours-of-half-life-2-6112889/
http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-final-hours-of-prince-of-persia-6079652/
http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-final-hours-of-metal-gear-solid-2-sons-of-liberty-6376810/

It's hard to find the rest of the articles because Gamespot's site is such a mess. But the Behind the Games that he did on Daikatana is also fantastic.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Got to remember that this isn't a witch hunt for people "on the take" for truing to get a ps3. As the article someone posted (that I don't want to go back an entire page to search for the link for) stated, alot of people use these events for self promotion. The original editorial was about how acts like these that have become the norm for people in the industry can easily be seen by others from the outside as a lack of integrity.

Or something.

Nobody said anything about a witch hunt. It's more about showing just how many people who call themselves 'games journalists' think it's ok to partake in stuff like this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Judging from this and the Foxconn thread, your entire outlook on life is "I don't think anything is going to change, so let's do nothing."

One debate worth having when this dust settles is Journalist vs Critic, and what the differences really mean. I think a lot of people branded games journalists more widely aren't at all, and are simply critics. Patrick Klepek is a great example of an actual journalist, doing actual investigative work within games, but people like him are actually rather uncommon.

Means very little without a review.

From what I've heard Jeff just can't get it to work. I haven't played 3 yet, but DC1-2 work consistently well and DC3 is the best received in the franchise yet. Probably just gave the benefit of the doubt and assumed that if the problem isn't widespread and when it works, as it seems to be for most people, it works great as it did with the first two, then best to just leave it be. Who knows where Kinect's recognition problems may lie. It's a fickle thing.

JDSN

Banned
‏@sensualcurl
Eh, just caught up with the controversy. Having interacted a fair bit with you Im sure this is an honest mistake.

‏@davescook
Yep. I'm having a miserable week as a result.

‏@sensualcurl
Wouldn't worry that much about it really, people who actually pay attention to your writing as a whole knows whats up.

Its kinda decent of Dave to feel bad because of it, a nice contrast to Lauren being completely callous and interpreting the edit as a sincere apology.

Patryn

Yes but no journalisty as evident by this Lauren bird will come out and say "HEY GUYS I DIDNT REVIEW IT CUZ I HAVE FRIENDS WHO WORK THERE AND I DONT WANT TO GET THEM POSSIBLY FIRED" instead they'll lie and use a excuse, it's called "backroom politice"

But trashing that product on a podcast that has more listeners than a potential review would get hits is protecting them?

I believe it does. Need to exist I mean. Writing and talking about this stuff is the first step on the road to changing it. Or deciding if it is something that needs to change. May be a bit naive on my part to expect change, but I don't really. I hope for it though, and if more higher profile people come out and start the discussion about these topics they are more likely to chance, instead of just being excepted.

Z3M0G

Studying the events around this article is just as important as studying the picture as the article suggested... if not more so.

cRIPticon

THD7S.png

PRO BACKROOM POLITICE 4 LYFE

Also, I am a master of MS Paint. Full disclosure.

Could this be the fastest a junior gets a permanent tag?

Studying the events around this article is just as important as studying the picture as the article suggested... if not more so.

Nothing to study. A deal with MS/Pepsi/STV was struck, there is a co-marketing and branding plan in place, Geoff has to do an advertising piece as part of the contract, and there you go. If is actual review of the game reflects his love of Mountain Dew Code Red, then there is a legitimate complaint. So, in studying this, it's an advertising piece. Nothing more, nothing less.

I fully understand the point, and grasped it when I first read the article, which is why I asked what I did. Irregardless of intention, the minute you sit down and type someones name in an article involving something questionable, it can plant a seed of doubt in the reader (rightfully so here). So again, my question is, if you're comfortable using names in an opinion piece like this, why the hell are you protecting the people that you actually know are doing wrong?

This word hurts me to my core.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

The whole situation sure as hell is entertaining me, so Id say the articles existence is well justified!

Shouldn't ethics policies in place, prevent its staff from accepting offers or engaging in activities that could otherwise misconstrue their journalistic integrity? In any other industry, accepting offers in this fashion would be grounds for termination.

Those policies are self imposed, and so far the game journalism industry doesn't seem to have much need for them. Rather they are still making all the money they can without them in place and no one really calls them on it, so there is no reason for them to put them in place.

A vapid industry whose opinions are based entirely on hype and the ultimate conclusion of a piece of work is profits and not creating anything warranting actual discussion and substance (the idea of substance is counter-productive to the culture at this point) will never have "journalistic integrity" as it doesn't need journalism in the first place... nor integrity. Such a culture needs shills and shills are what we have. If "Summer Blockbuster Magazine" existed, what would you expect to be reading when you read past the cover? Hard hitting interviews or just advertising and things that might as well be advertising?

The so-called "journalism" that we have now is in line with the so-called "culture" where these journalists exist. You are what you eat. That's a rule. The same rule that applies to anything on this planet. People say "empty the seats in congress. That'll fix government!" No, it won't because if you don't change political culture and discourse then you're going to replace bad politician A with bad politician B. You're replacing your fishing net when the real problem is that the pond is barren.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

Um, Rab has other outlets like Burnistoun, his wrestling commitments etc ;)

DangerStepp

This whole affair is sickening and represents everything wrong with this industry.

I wonder if we'll live to see this field with any sort of legitimacy without chest pounding or integrity without flaunting it.

Also, that image of Geoff is going to haunt him for the rest of his days. I've watched the video and I still don't understand the context of it.

PrimeRib_

A vapid industry whose opinions are based entirely on hype and the ultimate conclusion of a piece of work is profits and not creating anything warranting actual discussion and substance (the idea of substance is counter-productive to the culture at this point) will never have "journalistic integrity" as it doesn't need journalism in the first place... nor integrity. Such a culture needs shills and shills are what we have. If "Summer Blockbuster Magazine" existed, what would you expect to be reading when you read past the cover? Hard hitting interviews or just advertising and things that might as well be advertising, right?

The so-called "journalism" that we have now is in line with the so-called "culture" where these journalists exist. You are what you eat. That's a rule. The same rule that applies to anything on this planet. People say "empty the seats in congress. That'll fix government!" No, it won't because if you don't change political culture and discourse then you're going to replace bad politician A with bad politician B. You're replacing your fishing net when the real problem is that the pond is barren.

The only way to change culture in this fashion, is to create a break from its status quo. This EG debacle is a great example of why the current status quo requires change.

Next, it'll require media outlets to differentiate themselves with an ironclad ethics policy that would prevent such acts from its employees.

But this is all just speculation on what many here think should happen, it doesn't mean this won't blow over completely in 7 days and then, we're right back to square one.

Curufinwe

No, it's still disgusting and horrific. Especially when they go on an dreview games that their friends work on without disclosing (like any Harmonix or Double Fine game).

Also funny how they don't review Dance Central 3 because it's a bad game, but felt fine giving great scores to DC1 and 2. Why? Because their friends work at Harmonix who are currently dieing right now.

Dance Central 3 has a higher average review score than the previous two games. It's at 87.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dance+central/results

The problem comes in that Harmonix are having a really hard time right now and are laying people off their friends, so it makes it super shady that theyre not reviewing the game as they possibly don't want to put the well deserved deathknell in.

A 2/5 from Giant Bomb would do almost nothing, and would probably be quite unfair judging by every other review. You clearly live in a fantasy land.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ah I'm sorry. Do still think it is because that wasn't the point of the article. The names he named were used as examples, not of corruption, but what could be viewed as it, and had been accepted as normal acts for game journalists. As in, them being named wasn't a point of the editorial, but a way to highlight the point of the article. Naming names he thought were defiantly on the PR take also wasn't the point, and would have turned this into a completely different story.

That is just this man's understanding of it. Sure, it is unfortunate for the people who's names that got used, but nothing said was an untruth. One (Cook) responded with admitting that things could be seen that way, and made sure to show he was donating the free gift he got, another didn't comment at all, and the last is who the current subject of discussion is.

Yea, that's all I'm getting at. While I don't find anything he did wrong, I think it's largely hypocritical, even within the context of the article, to call someone out over a perception, but at the same time act weary of the ramification to these other peoples lively hoods, whom are in the wrong -and you have facts to back it up-. It's just a personal gripe, not trying to be contrary with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom