• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno but maybe we should make the OT title direct and concise (like mentioning that it has one of the best battle systems). The game is vague enough already.
What if people contest this idea after having experienced it? It may not be for everyone, after all.

I do like it a lot, though.

You should make the OP for Tales of Xillia or something and then put "If you want this, buy Tales of Graces f also because it's awesome"

That would likely directly speak to fairweather Tales GAF.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What if people contest this idea after having experienced it? It may not be for everyone, after all.

I do like it a lot, though.

Guess we'll have to add the perhaps/probably then.

Tales of Graces f |OT| Probably The Best Combat System To Ever Grace RPGs

mudkyp

So I didn't know this game existed until recently due to Gaf (further fuel for the Gaf >NB at advertising) and see all you guys praising it. As someone who hasn't played a Tales game since Legendia, where does this rank and what does it do that makes it stand out? If this has been answered already, just point me in the right direction please :D

Proven

Leave it at "The Best Combat System To Ever Grace RPGs" and don't add the "Probably". It's already now on the edge of staying concise, and having a little (but not completely unwarranted) bit of hyperbole should help pull some people in to inquire. The only thing left is to show off some gameplay videos to back up our side of the argument. The best two I've seen are in the After Story part of the game, and therefore show off a lot of the later Blast Calibers and Accel Mode uses. There's an argument to be made on how much they spoil and how much stuff they show off that you won't get until much further into the game. They're against generic bosses though, and the player skips the cutscenes, so maybe they're still useful.

One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DoMW_AvNO0
and Two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2AACwrkads

Come to think of it, other than the Blast Calibers it's a wonder how much I've avoided spoilers. Much of everything else I've seen in the demo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Stop making it sound like the only reason to buy this is to get to Xillia. This should get a shot in the sunlight on its own. Many have stated Graces is the better game, too.
Yeah, I kinda wish this mentality would cease. Graces is a great game and it should have its fair shot.

Leave it at "The Best Combat System To Ever Grace RPGs" and don't add the "Probably". It's already now on the edge of staying concise, and having a little (but not completely unwarranted) bit of hyperbole should help pull some people in to inquire.
Yep, this is the leading contender for the OP titles, but if anyone else has any suggestions--and bear in mind that the OP isn't going up for a while since the game's out on March 13th--we'd really like to hear them. :)

RPGCrazied

I really don't want stupid OT titles. :(

Protect the Future is nice.

The game is about Friendship?

How about Friendship conquers all? Friendship forever? I admit, these aren't that good either, but better than some of the joke ones I've seen.

Datschge

Leave it at "The Best Combat System To Ever Grace RPGs"
This or "Graceful game design all around", it is a very polished package after all (besides great battle system and subsystems one can skip anything, auto advance text according to voices, instant battle transition, quick save anywhere etc., usual "Team Destiny" design stuff that never got to the west before and is botched by surprisingly many developers in general (hello Fi)...).

smr00

Banned
This is a PS3 game?

edit-

NM, those screens do this game no justice, i was like lolwut this looks like a DS game, then watched the videos and was blown away, will buy.

Rpgmonkey

I like "Protect the Future".

But I find "hype titles" obnoxious and prefer something that's less forceful and more relevant to the game's style or theme, so eh.

Man, this video gets me hyped up for the game and I already own the Japanese release!
I can't wait for this game to come out in English.
And yes, Graces is better than Xillia I feel. Not that Xillia is bad, but Graces just feels more polished all around.

Graces F is a more polished version of Graces ...having the extra time to polish does that ..

i bet that if xillia get a director cut ( more dongeons more link skills ) , it will beat graces F

RPGCrazied

Spoiler tag this. But I really want to know. Are the spirits in the game? You know, Undine, Efreet, Gnome, Slyph. I'm missing a few, but curious is all.

I really do think these are Tales of staples, but didn't a Tales not have them? I forget.

Seda

This is a PS3 game?

edit-

NM, those screens do this game no justice, i was like lolwut this looks like a DS game, then watched the videos and was blown away, will buy.

It is a port of a Wii game, so its not going to have fantastic visuals. But the Facebook screens are quite compressed.

CrazyDude

Spoiler tag this. But I really want to know. Are the spirits in the game? You know, Undine, Efreet, Gnome, Slyph. I'm missing a few, but curious is all.

I really do think these are Tales of staples, but didn't a Tales not have them? I forget.

I don't remember Abyss having them. I don't think there are any in this game, but I could be mistaken. I know xillia does have them.

Just realised that ni no kuni will have japanese & english dubs

So is there a reason to believe that they might do the same for Graces F ??

( can i hope ? )

Rpgmonkey

Some of the spirits show up in Pascal's Blast Caliburs. No story significance as far as I know however

In Destiny, Destiny 2, Hearts, Rebirth, Innocence, and I think Graces, the classic spirits aren't a part of the world or story.

I don't remember Abyss having them. I don't think there are any in this game, but I could be mistaken. I know xillia does have them.

In Abyss Spirits were a massive collection of a particular element of Fonons that gained sentience. It's offhandedly mentioned in a Library though, and outside of Lorelei they don't make any appearances in the game.

Some of the spirits show up in Pascal's Blast Caliburs. No story significance as far as I know however

In Destiny, Destiny 2, Hearts, Rebirth, Innocence, and I think Graces, the classic spirits aren't a part of the world or story.

In Abyss Spirits were a massive collection of a particular element of Fonons that gained sentience. It's offhandedly mentioned in a Library though, and outside of Lorelei they don't make any appearances in the game.

Just realized team Destiny games have no tradtion top type spirits. Btw What team did toe?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like "Protect the Future".

But I find "hype titles" obnoxious and prefer something that's less forceful and more relevant to the game's style or theme, so eh.
We thought "Protect the Future" was too close to FFXIII-2's OP title, and depending on your stance on it, it'd be rather tongue-in-cheek towards that game.

How about Friendship conquers all? Friendship forever? I admit, these aren't that good either, but better than some of the joke ones I've seen.
This or "Graceful game design all around".
I'll add these to the list of possible OP titles, thanks.

My suggestion was "Enthusiastically Shifting the Style of the JRPG", but a) it's too wordy despite making reference to the game's SS-LMBS, and b) it's a bit bold.

Aeana

Just realized team Destiny games have no tradtion top type spirits. Btw What team did toe?

Tales of Eternia came before the split between Team Destiny and Team Symphonia. They were established with Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2) and Tales of Symphonia, respectively.

DR2K

Banned
NO.

Stop making it sound like the only reason to buy this is to get to Xillia. This should get a shot in the sunlight on its own. Many have stated Graces is the better game, too.

That will be why a lot of Tales are buying it to support the series for future iterations. Some have said otherwise as well. There's no law stating which is better, but one is just a Wii up-port and the other was built on PS3.

Aeana

That will be why a lot of Tales are buying it to support the series for future iterations. Some have said otherwise as well. There's no law stating which is better, but one is just a Wii up-port and the other was built on PS3.

But the Wii up-port is a vastly better game!

BluWacky

Is it? Would be nice if more than a handful of people could assert that opinion.

Have more than a handful of people asserted that Xillia is better? There's only a small hardcore of people who play Tales on import on GAF.

If Graces was not a Wii port, would you have similar reservations about it?

Can you explain why that elicits such a response? I really don't understand.

I thought about this a bit more since the trailer clips got revealed, and here's basically what I came up with.

In Dragon Quest, I trust Horii to do everything right. If there's a narrative element that's kind of sketchy and problematic, I assume implicitly that he'll find a charming and non-lame way to implement it and it'll turn out lovely (see: the princess in DQ8, the childhood segment and the kids-as-party-members in DQ5, time travel in DQ7, etc.)

In Tales, I basically assume upfront that whenever there's a problematic element in the story, they will do it wrong. Racism? Dealt with in a painful and heavy-handed way. Romance? Ickified and weird. Kids? Annoying. Technobabble? Completely inscrutable and omnipresent. The best Tales can really manage narratively is to stay away from all this stuff and focus on elements that are hard to get wrong (and even then about the most they ever manage is 2/3rds of Vesperia, and that all still has Karol.)

I mean, I believe you that it's fine, but it doesn't take a lot to assume that a Tales game is going to have narrative elements that are so bad as to be actively offensive.

I must admit that I'm not fond of Graces' soundtrack at all. There are a few nice things in there, but overall, I'm indifferent to a lot of the material. Not very memorable. :/

You can sub in literally any non-Legendia Tales game and describe it with this. Rushed and underbudget tossed-off Sakuraba plus a legion of untalented cronies.

I really don't want stupid OT titles. :(

Yeah, what's wrong with "Tales of Graces f |OT|" exactly?

DR2K

Banned
You can have my copy.

Is it really that bad or do you just not find it as good as Graces?

Have more than a handful of people asserted that Xillia is better? There's only a small hardcore of people who play Tales on import on GAF.

If Graces was not a Wii port, would you have similar reservations about it?

Well no Tales import gaf is too small. Xillia just has better (much) design and visuals to me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You can sub in literally any non-Legendia Tales game and describe it with this. Rushed and underbudget tossed-off Sakuraba plus a legion of untalented cronies.
My bf just read that and he just gave me this look (cuz he's a huge Sakuraba fan). The Tales soundtracks are truly not Sakuraba's best work (stuff like VP, ES, etc are better, most definitely, but there are a few gems in some of the Tales soundtracks). Xillia's soundtrack is probably the most mature out of all of them, imo, but the themes aren't as catchy as earlier titles' music.

Tamura's pieces on a lot of the soundtracks aren't very good, though. The only one I like a lot is Fighting of the Spirit.

DR2K said:
Well no Tales import gaf is too small. Xillia just has better (much) design and visuals to me.
What I mean by 'design', I mean in terms of systems. A lot of Graces' systems like dualization, chain capacity, around-step, style-shifting, the Arles Pot, cooking/gambits, and even the titles (since they give you need skills and stat increases) flow into each other very well.

Xillia's systems, on the other hand, don't share this cohesion. It's easy to get overpowered early on in the game if you decide to farm items a lot like I did (because the shops system is determined based on you levelling them up, as opposed to going to towns and buying new gear). But the titles are relegated to merely getting grade or trophies (grade isn't earned post-battle), the game uses TP (which ultimately stagnates your party's comboing efforts; by contrast, CC can limit combos making artes, normal attacks, and backstep cost CC... but CC can easily be replenished depending on your actions or if you defend. TP is replenished via items or hitting the enemy with normal attacks, and it makes battles boring), cooking isn't even a darn thing in this game, and you can get away with being unstrategic in combat a lot, even on the highest difficulty offered. The systems just don't work in-sync with each other, and coming off from Graces, it's a little disappointing in that regard.

Top Bottom