• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

I'm actually glad there isn't versus. I don't think the powers and stuff would work well for PvP stuff.

On top of that they'd have to code in how effects like Stasis, Charge, Overload, etc. affect your actual gameplay (since you're using it on humans instead of AI).

That would be an incredible headache and too small a part of the game to invest too many resources into.

I think I need to stop playing the multiplayer now. Over 30 veteran bags and still nothing besides a turian sentinel. Need to stop now before I burn out even before the real version comes out, god I hope there's better chests in the real version...

I think I need to stop playing the multiplayer now. Over 30 veteran bags and still nothing besides a turian sentinel. Need to stop now before I burn out even before the real version comes out, god I hope there's better chests in the real version...

I've had 2 long and great sessions online with this demo but yes, hold back for the final release since nothing carries over.

Man, that sucks. It's weird how I've opened probably the same amount and I've unlocked every race except Quarian.

I feel like I should stop playing for the opposite reason, though -- I've already unlocked so much good stuff that I'm gonna be pissed if I start the retail game and never get any of it back. :D

Squall516

PvP multiplayer would be terrible with the current balance issues. Terrible. I'm glad they only decided to do co-op.

Ya I agree, it would be very tough to balance

On top of that they'd have to code in how effects like Stasis, Charge, Overload, etc. affect your actual gameplay (since you're using it on humans instead of AI).

That would be an incredible headache and too small a part of the game to invest too many resources into.

Yea, exactly it would be extremely difficult. Having some knowledge and experience in developing games it would be not only tough to do effectively, but it would take a while and lot of resources for such a small aspect of the game.

Like i said it's kind of a bummer bc I'd like there to be other modes and not just the multiplayer (or at least I hope the multiplayer is a lot more in depth than the demo) but I think considering how the game plays and everything it was a smart move not to have vs. Im just like getting super antsy....I just want to play the dame game already lol ^___^

Violet_0

Banned
What exploit? Why havnt I heard about this yet lol >_<

if you run across the map and jump off somewhere (I don't know where exactly) the game bugs out and everyone has increased shield regen - you're basically invincible (outside of instant-kill attacks). The player that triggered that bug can't play though, and sometimes the exploit stops working. I've seen it a couple of times now.

MNC

This is sucking up all my time. I love my sniper adept! Shame about the modes though. There will be more enemies, right? What about objectives?

if you run across the map and jump off somewhere (I don't know where exactly) the game bugs out and everyone has increased shield regen - you're basically invincible (outside of instant-kill attacks). The player that triggered that bug can't play though, and sometimes the exploit stops working. I've seen it a couple of times now.

This exploit happens to me unintentionally all the time when I play as a Vanguard its annoying as fuck.

I just started playing as a Krogan mass its hilarious to run around swatting at people. Yes I have a giant shotgun in my hands, but whats the point if running straight into you is twice as effective.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I agree with the other's sentiment that competitive MP would sound good, but would be a bitch to make it work. Honestly, I'm fine with the game having just one MP mode as long as it's done well - and in honesty, it's awesome. As evidenced by the lot of us discussing tactics and whatnot about it.

I appreciate the help the people here have helped me with regarding classes and whatnot but I have a few questions regarding the Vanguard.

Is there a way to NOT be owned by turrets so much? Friggin' turrets are the only ones I really fear. Not Phantoms, Not Atlas' just friggin' turrets!

I'm running with just the shotgun now but the cooldown seems to be lacking a bit. By that, I mean a second. I've maxed the Nova and Charge powers. For Nova, I chose the 25 percent chance to not trigger barriers. For Charge, I also chose the 25 percent thing. Is there a way to further increase the cooldown a bit?

Also, I read from the BioWare forums that the packs only represent about 50 percent of the final game's content. If so, I wonder what else we can unlock in the game, no? More weapon types? Ammo types? Modules?

Damn! I need to stop playing the game. I'm at level 40 now and I know I'll be annoyed that they'll wipe my stats.

I would say... for the moment thats all.

When they see that the MP is amazing and many people play it... they may add some more content to it through a dlc.

Besides that... they will have Cerberus, Reapers and maybe something like the Collectors as enemies for the mp

rakhir

I've had 2 long and great sessions online with this demo but yes, hold back for the final release since nothing carries over.
For me it's the experience that carries over - thanks to the demo i know what class i want to play, how to use all the skills, what build do at launch, what type of enemies cerberus does and how to kill them efficently, and i know the two available maps to death.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I would say... for the moment thats all.

When they see that the MP is amazing and many people play it... they may add some more content to it through a dlc.

Besides that... they will have Cerberus, Reapers and maybe something like the Collectors as enemies for the mp

Speaking of that, I wonder what kinds of enemies we'll face? Will each enemy type have a corresponding race equivalent? Say, Phantoms would be Collector X? Or maybe each race is different? If so, that would rock.

Give us a ton of maps, different enemies and the varying difficulty in medals mean this thing won't get old quick.

My only gripe right now is fixing the game's lobby, and UI.

Coxswain

Speaking of that, I wonder what kinds of enemies we'll face? Will each enemy type have a corresponding race equivalent? Say, Phantoms would be Collector X? Or maybe each race is different? If so, that would rock.

Based on the things I've heard from people who have apparently played the full game, the different enemy factions are not just swapped skins. In particular, (not-really-a-spoiler spoiler:)
the Geth are supposedly the 'easiest' to solo, because none of their units have one-hit automatic kills the way that the Atlas and the Phantom do for Cerberus

If that information is right (and I don't see much reason to believe that it's not), out of the box the full game should have (not a spoiler unless you're absolutely committed to keeping everything a surprise):
Three enemy factions (Geth, Cerberus, and one faction that's basically 'Reapers', although I forget whether it's Collectors, Husks, or what), six maps, and another purchasable item pack beyond Veteran (Spectre Pack) for 50,000 Credits.
And then obviously there are the locked classes and the weapons that don't show up in the demo.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Based on the things I've heard from people who have apparently played the full game, the different enemy factions are not just swapped skins. In particular, (not-really-a-spoiler spoiler:)
the Geth are supposedly the 'easiest' to solo, because none of their units have one-hit automatic kills the way that the Atlas and the Phantom do for Cerberus

If that information is right (and I don't see much reason to believe that it's not), out of the box the full game should have (not a spoiler unless you're absolutely committed to keeping everything a surprise):
Three enemy factions (Geth, Cerberus, and one faction that's basically 'Reapers', although I forget whether it's Collectors, Husks, or what), six maps, and another purchasable item pack beyond Veteran (Spectre Pack) for 50,000 Credits.
And then obviously there are the locked classes and the weapons that don't show up in the demo.

Whoa! If true, that's a meaty MP experience! Especially since a lot of people deemed it as "filler."

Do you know if these classes can be chosen immediately or do they escalate (IE: Finish all the Cerberus in each map before playing X enemy)?

I hope they add in more weapons, skin unlocks, etc.

That's disappointing. I expected at least two per system.

I think the number's alright seeing as there's 3 levels per map. The difference between Bronze, Silver and Gold are substantial enough that they don't feel like cheap variations.

And who knows? There's a very good chance that we'll see more maps, enemy types as DLC. Yeah, people might hate it but if done right, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Seriously, the FPS/competitive MP fan in me is loving the game's MP. Part of it could be FPS fatigue but there's something to be said about a game when you and your allies only have one enemy (AI).

Cobra84

That's what I'm afraid of. 6 maps with 3 enemy factions of about 5 types each copied from single player is just half assing it. How long before the 5 DLC packs of an alien race and a map are out?

moop1167

Got my Vanguard up to level 12 or so last night, pretty fun. Unlocked the Carnifex but I doubt I'll use it, so maybe I'll start an adept or something and use it.

The music in the multiplayer menus is fucking awesome btw. Sounds more like ME1.

I have Krogan, Turianer, Drell, salarianer etc..... in different classes but i dont get anything for my sniper rifle. Only playing with female human infiltrator

RS4-

Is there a way to NOT be owned by turrets so much? Friggin' turrets are the only ones I really fear. Not Phantoms, Not Atlas' just friggin' turrets!

I'm running with just the shotgun now but the cooldown seems to be lacking a bit. By that, I mean a second. I've maxed the Nova and Charge powers. For Nova, I chose the 25 percent chance to not trigger barriers. For Charge, I also chose the 25 percent thing. Is there a way to further increase the cooldown a bit?

Shotgun weight (weapon weight in general) affects your recharge times on powers. I forgot which shotgun I ended up getting in a vet pack, but it was a gold one and put me at -130% or something.

I think it's fitness, higher ranks do let you reduce weight.

And 6 maps is really disappointing. I was expecting twice that.

Something else...

iam still not sure of if i should go back and play Mass Effect 2 again. Its a fact that i slept with Miranada and cheated on Ashley. Now iam asking myself how it affects my relationship with ashley... because i really want her back xD

I agree with the other's sentiment that competitive MP would sound good, but would be a bitch to make it work. Honestly, I'm fine with the game having just one MP mode as long as it's done well - and in honesty, it's awesome. As evidenced by the lot of us discussing tactics and whatnot about it.

I appreciate the help the people here have helped me with regarding classes and whatnot but I have a few questions regarding the Vanguard.

Also, I read from the BioWare forums that the packs only represent about 50 percent of the final game's content. If so, I wonder what else we can unlock in the game, no? More weapon types? Ammo types? Modules?

Damn! I need to stop playing the game. I'm at level 40 now and I know I'll be annoyed that they'll wipe my stats.

My best defense against turrets is "hope and pray". If you come across one, evaluate the situation quickly because you've got two options: 1) Run, or 2) Commit. Don't hesitate, because you'll die. If you see it and it's engaged somewhere else, then go ahead and commit. Otherwise, look for another route.

Once you do Commit, run as close as possible then start with dual novas. Never, ever lead with Charge. And if your shields are down, then don't commit. Like I stated in one of my other posts, don't ever lead with Charge because this is your "Get out of Jail" card. Run up to the mob/turret and lead with Nova. Nova/Nova/Charge/Nova will eliminate most turrets, and even Nova/Charge/Nova/Nova will work. However Charge/Nova/Nova will most likely kill you if the turret's at full health.

Just remember... turret or mob or Atlas or whatever, it's always better to start with Nova.

One mistake I think you made though is picking the 25% chance to not trigger your shields. It's unreliable and it forces you to look down at your shields every time to see if you got the bonus. This means less time during those crucial moments when you're lining up a Charge to get your shields back. to It's nice when you get the bonus but if you can't rely on it, then it's a liability. The other ability Pierce is far more effective because it means you put down those enemies that are the biggest problems faster: Atlas, Phantoms and Turrets. Doing an additional 100% damage to protected enemies *every single time* is far more reliable.

As for Charge, not sure what 25% thing you're talking about. Is that also a 25% chance for no cooldown? Is that the same tier as the one that gives you 100% barriers? If so, 100% barriers is far more important. Besides the added protection, what's more important is that it gives you an extra Nova. You don't need to go two Charges in a row, since the first Charge will give you full shields (if you went the other route in your build).

Remember, think of Charge as your safety button, not your primary damage dealer. Why? Because if you use Charge when you have full shields, it's a waste. Those shields are the battery for Nova, and the Charge/Nova (x2)/Charge/Nova (x2) combo is so strong because of the synergy.

Also I play on Xbox, so with Nova on RB I can use it at a moment's notice, don't need to aim and don't need to take my thumb off RS. However, any time I'm lining up Charge I need to switch my thumb between RS and Y. We've all been in those frantic moments when our shields drop from a Nemesis/Atlas/Phantom/whatever and are frantically slamming Y to Charge as soon as the cooldown is over. This means you're only aiming with LS. So if 25% of the time you're lining up that second immediate Charge (that you don't need) then that means less time with your thumb on RS. It's a subtle difference but it makes worlds of difference when you're in a critical situation.

As far as cooldown, if you take the option for Charge to get 100% shields and Nova to only drain 50% of shields, then you'll never have issues if you only run with a shotgun.

Just let a sniper handle the turrets its down in 3 shots.

If you dont have a sniper... throw grenades or shoot from mid range. If you need hide behind a obstacle near it.

Turrets are easy as hell for me.

---

Last round whole team was down and my infiltrator was up against two snipers and one atlas.... killed the snipers and then the atlas just with my sniper rifle. xD Hell of a work but feels good to survive and rescue all the asses! ^^ took me 20 minutes or so

If you dont have a sniper... throw grenades or shoot from mid range. If you need hide behind a obstacle near it.

---

Last round whole team was down and my infiltrator was up against two snipers and one atlas.... killed the snipers and then the atlas just with my sniper rifle. xD Hell of a work but feels good to survive and rescue all the asses! ^^ took me 20 minutes or so

I was scared of turrets cause they'd always get me before I could get to cover. I'm much better about it now. I soften up the turret with a DOT and quick scope them so I can hide while I reload.

---

Heads up, the poster asking about turrets was using a Human Vanguard, which is pretty much an entirely short ranged class.

moop1167

Ah okay, just the way the guy said it made it sound like anyone can just throw grenades.

Turrets are tough as a vanguard, as I tend to get cocky charging around. Been smoked by them a bunch of times, but have learned from it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It isn't about how easy it is to kill a turret you know is there, it is about how easy it is to get knocked down by a turret you DO NOT KNOW is there.

Communication is your best turret countermeasure.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Shotgun weight (weapon weight in general) affects your recharge times on powers. I forgot which shotgun I ended up getting in a vet pack, but it was a gold one and put me at -130% or something.

I think it's fitness, higher ranks do let you reduce weight.

And 6 maps is really disappointing. I was expecting twice that.

I'm currently using the Scimitar as my shotgun of choice. I only have that and the Katana, so there's not much option there.

How do you know if you unearth a "gold" pack? I got the Widow, which I think is a gold, but how do you know for sure?

My best defense against turrets is "hope and pray". If you come across one, evaluate the situation quickly because you've got two options: 1) Run, or 2) Commit. Don't hesitate, because you'll die. If you see it and it's engaged somewhere else, then go ahead and commit. Otherwise, look for another route.

Once you do Commit, run as close as possible then start with dual novas. Never, ever lead with Charge. And if your shields are down, then don't commit. Like I stated in one of my other posts, don't ever lead with Charge because this is your "Get out of Jail" card. Run up to the mob/turret and lead with Nova. Nova/Nova/Charge/Nova will eliminate most turrets, and even Nova/Charge/Nova/Nova will work. However Charge/Nova/Nova will most likely kill you if the turret's at full health.

Just remember... turret or mob or Atlas or whatever, it's always better to start with Nova.

One mistake I think you made though is picking the 25% chance to not trigger your shields. It's unreliable and it forces you to look down at your shields every time to see if you got the bonus. This means less time during those crucial moments when you're lining up a Charge to get your shields back. to It's nice when you get the bonus but if you can't rely on it, then it's a liability. The other ability Pierce is far more effective because it means you put down those enemies that are the biggest problems faster: Atlas, Phantoms and Turrets. Doing an additional 100% damage to protected enemies *every single time* is far more reliable.

As for Charge, not sure what 25% thing you're talking about. Is that also a 25% chance for no cooldown? Is that the same tier as the one that gives you 100% barriers? If so, 100% barriers is far more important. Besides the added protection, what's more important is that it gives you an extra Nova. You don't need to go two Charges in a row, since the first Charge will give you full shields (if you went the other route in your build).

Remember, think of Charge as your safety button, not your primary damage dealer. Why? Because if you use Charge when you have full shields, it's a waste. Those shields are the battery for Nova, and the Charge/Nova (x2)/Charge/Nova (x2) combo is so strong because of the synergy.

Also I play on Xbox, so with Nova on RB I can use it at a moment's notice, don't need to aim and don't need to take my thumb off RS. However, any time I'm lining up Charge I need to switch my thumb between RS and Y. We've all been in those frantic moments when our shields drop from a Nemesis/Atlas/Phantom/whatever and are frantically slamming Y to Charge as soon as the cooldown is over. This means you're only aiming with LS. So if 25% of the time you're lining up that second immediate Charge (that you don't need) then that means less time with your thumb on RS. It's a subtle difference but it makes worlds of difference when you're in a critical situation.

As far as cooldown, if you take the option for Charge to get 100% shields and Nova to only drain 50% of shields, then you'll never have issues if you only run with a shotgun.

Argh! Damn! Your build makes more sense than what I did! Shit! I hope I can re-assign the points! Ah, well...at least I won't make the same mistake in the final game's MP, no?

Your tactic does make a lot of sense. Yeah, I think I chose the wrong max levels for Charge and Nova :(

Thanks for the tip! Man, I haven't even tried the other classes other than Human Vanguard and Human Infiltrator.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I think I saw someone mention that the game had drop-in support for matches going on. I have yet to see this as I only ever get dumped into a lobby via quickmatch. Did I hallucinate reading about that?

RS4-

I think I saw someone mention that the game had drop-in support for matches going on. I have yet to see this as I only ever get dumped into a lobby via quickmatch. Did I hallucinate reading about that?

It's in there. I just don't see it happen much.

I'm currently using the Scimitar as my shotgun of choice. I only have that and the Katana, so there's not much option there.

How do you know if you unearth a "gold" pack? I got the Widow, which I think is a gold, but how do you know for sure?

I only notice it during the item screen after you purchase a pack, the border of the weapon will be silver or gold.

Argh! Damn! Your build makes more sense than what I did! Shit! I hope I can re-assign the points! Ah, well...at least I won't make the same mistake in the final game's MP, no?

Your tactic does make a lot of sense. Yeah, I think I chose the wrong max levels for Charge and Nova :(

Thanks for the tip! Man, I haven't even tried the other classes other than Human Vanguard and Human Infiltrator.

Hey no worries at all, gotta learn somewhere right?

Actually, when I initially built up my Vanguard I got to level 17 or so then for whatever reason my profile got wiped, meaning I went all the way back (for all classes) to level 1. Even got back my free Starter pack. I was extremely annoyed at first but it allowed me to break my own habit of leading with Charge since my skills started from scratch and I had to rely more on strategy. This is when I trained myself to storm into the middle of full mobs with Nova.

Now I maxed my Vanguard to 20 and am working on trying to beat Gold.

The worst thing about getting wiped though is that all my unlocks were gone. Even though I've opened at least twice as many Vet packs as before, I've only unlocked the Drell Vanguard (versus the Asari, Krogan, and Drell from before). What's worse though is that I've unlocked ZERO shotgun mods for accuracy. I think before I had it up to 40 or 45% increased accuracy but now at level 20 I'm still using the same gigantic shotgun crosshair that I was using at level 1. :(

I think I need to switch to recruit packs.

Violet_0

Banned
I really just want to unlock the Salarian infiltrator right from the get go. I noticed that I can't play anything else then infiltrator (always played them in the ME games), they seem to have the much better abilities than their human counterparts (I don't find cyro blast or sticky grenades all that useful on higher difficulties, whereas I've seen proximity mines do tons of damage to armor, not to mention their shield breaker), and I just really like those guys.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People stressing over drops shouldn't feel too bad. I just hit 120 and I still don't have a carnifex.

Having played that much, here is what I'd like to see changed/fixed/added:

Invisible turret bug. Turrets are bad enough, do they really need stealth?

Undead enemy bug. He's laying on the ground, he looks dead, but he's shooting the shit out of you.

Allow us to bind an action key. That way if I want to perform an action INSTEAD of sticking to cover I can do it without the stars being in perfect alignment.

Matchmaking. Lots of ways to make this better. It shouldn't take 15 minutes of attempting to connect to one game or another to get one that eventually works. On top of that flag hosts who drop mid-match and allow us to check a box that says, "I don't want to play with these fuckers." Don't dump us out to the main menu after a failed join via invite. Matter of fact, just check to see if the game is full before going through all of that and place a reservation if there is a spot.

Squall516

Ya I completely agree with you. With so many games out already that have good matchmaking and lobbies i would have expected it to be better and for them to have learned from other games and stuff since ME never had online. The UI for the lobby could be improved dramatically. But the thing that really pisses me off is the matchmaking. Doing a quick match and constantly getting put with like 2 people in the the lobby...and it's gold and they are like lvl 4's T_T lol Not to mention people always dropping as host and leaving during matches and I rarely ever have it let anyone join mid game. They could easily fix a lot of these things, and I hope some improvements are made in the final release.

Also someone mentioned before that they read that they were going to open up a new enemy type to play again today or in the next couple of days. Does anyone know about this for sure?

But the thing that really pisses me off is the matchmaking. Doing a quick match and constantly getting put with like 2 people in the the lobby...and it's gold and they are like lvl 4's T_T lol Not to mention people always dropping as host and leaving during matches and I rarely ever have it let anyone join mid game. They could easily fix a lot of these things, and I hope some improvements are made in the final release.

You know you can filter by challenge level, right?

Mindlog

You know you can filter by challenge level, right?
Yeah, but you can't filter who gets to join a game. It can really slow down getting a good gold game going.

I ran into a level 17 Krogan. His N rating was also 17. Hatred.

You can tell how well a gold run is going to go by how soon the first rocket flies. I was on wave 4 and people were firing off cobras. I sighed and played out the waves until we all inevitably died. I didn't waste any consumables on that game.

Finally, Gold. YOU DEFEATED
Brought to you in part by Stasis. Closed captioning sponsored by Carnifax III.

Top Bottom