• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

IronRinn

I have a Samus print, which I really like. I also did the 12-month subscription for the smaller prints.

That looks pretty good. Also the one I am interested in.

I had a sneaking suspicion this was the case (as I'm sure many others did as well) and it seems I was correct. No Furiosa on the Mondo stuff due to likeness rights. This is from Mike Mitchell on Twitter in response to someone's questions:

Mike Mitchell said:
Not through Mondo. Her likeness was not available to use.

This is from GiantBoyDective on EB quoting Mike:

We tried, it just wasn't an option. This was the rough we sent them, and it was simply a likeness rights issue

11846578_10153528986282272_5745746614959752189_n.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm actually happy that he didn't go with Furiosa if his idea was just a plain portrait. Max and Immortan both have really great external elements that give some life and visual flair to the images.

Also, I know dude gets a lot of shit for his various "series" of prints, but sometimes he busts out a portrait that's absolutely perfect. Like it has characteristics that sum up the essence of a character, like this Bullseye one he did:
The rictus grin along with the strained, manic eyes perfectly convey what Bullseye is.

IronRinn

I should really add Black Dragon to the OP...

On sale Thursday, August 11th at 3pm BST: "Gaia" by Alyssa Winans and "Prima Materia by Goñi Montes:

15" x 20" Fine Art Print Hahnemühle German Etching (310gsm) Hand numbered edition of 100 with signed certificate of authenticity and gallery stamp on the back. £60

15" x 20" Fine Art Print Hahnemühle German Etching (310gsm) Hand numbered edition of 100 with signed certificate of authenticity and gallery stamp on the back. £60

Sigma722

Does he? I wasn't aware. What do people have a problem with specifically?

The two biggest things that come to mind for me is

1) He had a Hitler Super.
This caused a bit of an uproar, since Hitler = bad. He sided with sort of the whole "he was super, just super bad, so 'art'" iirc.

2) There was an HCG show about 6 months ago where they were doing cutouts from pop-culture. To the average person (seemingly Mike Mitchell in this case) it appeared to rip off the Olly Moss show that was done like 4 years ago. Mike decided to openly bitch about it on twitter. The artist behind the new lines of print has been doing cutouts for a long-ass time, and it's actually apparently something passed down in his family *shrugs*.

I was never really a fan of Mike's in the first place since he's got like 4 things that he does. Originally it was JLUs, then potraits and birds and cosplays. He's been branching out a little more, but not enough imo.

Oh yeah, one other thing that irked me was when he did those Breaking Bad doodles, and then sold them.

edit:

Hey first post in the new thread :p

50 posters HERE

This looks awesome. Way to go.

Edit edit:

I should add that I could complain about a lot of the bigger artists in the business right now. It seems like a good portion of the more popular ones are a bit jaded with their success, or stopped, which upsets me equally.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Does he? I wasn't aware. What do people have a problem with specifically?

The two biggest things that come to mind for me is

1) He had a Hitler Super.
This caused a bit of an uproar, since Hitler = bad. He sided with sort of the whole "he was super, just super bad, so 'art'" iirc.

2) There was an HCG show about 6 months ago where they were doing cutouts from pop-culture. To the average person (seemingly Mike Mitchell in this case) it appeared to rip off the Olly Moss show that was done like 4 years ago. Mike decided to openly bitch about it on twitter. The artist behind the new lines of print has been doing cutouts for a long-ass time, and it's actually apparently something passed down in his family *shrugs*.

I was never really a fan of Mike's in the first place since he's got like 4 things that he does. Originally it was JLUs, then potraits and birds and cosplays. He's been branching out a little more, but not enough imo.

Oh yeah, one other thing that irked me was when he did those Breaking Bad doodles, and then sold them.
Yeah, and I see a lot of the "it's all the same shit" comment like Sigma basically said. But I think dude is talented, you just have to figure out what of the hundred+ pieces he releases a year you actually like/want.

Also, somebody on here saved my ass from buying those Breaking Bad doodles, as I was just getting into the hobby around then. Thank you to whoever that was, because those were dogshit.

Sigma722

He's totally talented. You can see that especially in his more recent stuff. Getting a lot better with colors/blending/styles. But I can only look at so many sides of heads, and I have no emotional attachment to birds, no matter how detailed or fat they are.

And lol about the Breaking Bad comment.

LaneDS

Hah, thanks guys. I still like Mitchell and think he creates some fun stuff but I'm glad to know the above.

Oh, and orioto, nice job! I think that's one of the better ones you've done recently.

Luderico

Hi everybody,

new at NeoGAF, kind of, been reading for nearly half a year, registering is a bitch. ;)

Been into the print collecting for nearly half a year, too. Before that i was searching for high resolution pictures of the prints, to print them. Not the same by a longshot.
Got a original gig poster for my girlfriend. Was blown away by the qualitiy.
Since then, i'm happy but poor.

So thanks all for the new release infos.

cheers

IronRinn

Man, my The Last of Us soundtrack has been stuck in Forest Park, IL for like 3 days now. What the fuck.

Hi everybody,

new at NeoGAF, kind of, been reading for nearly half a year, registering is a bitch. ;)

Been into the print collecting for nearly half a year, too. Before that i was searching for high resolution pictures of the prints, to print them. Not the same by a longshot.
Got a original gig poster for my girlfriend. Was blown away by the qualitiy.
Since then, i'm happy but poor.

So thanks all for the new release infos.

cheers
Welcome! Glad we could help you on the road to destitution.

omgkitty

Man, my The Last of Us soundtrack has been stuck in Forest Park, IL for like 3 days now. What the fuck.

Good ole USPS. I've had problems with stuff from Mondo in the past where packages seem to just disappear for a few days and then they just show up.

IronRinn

Two prints from NemO coming to UTBNYC this Friday, August 14th:

"Happy Meal" 50 x 70 cm screen print. Signed and numbered edition of 50. $100.00.

"Who is Inside Nemo's?" 50 x 70 cm screen print. Signed and numbered edition of 56. $100.00.

Will also be sold as a set for $190.00

Filthy Slug

"Who is inside.." is really rad. Very cool that UTB/Bottleneck are bringing in such a wide variety of artists.

IronRinn

"Who is inside.." is really rad. Very cool that UTB/Bottleneck are bringing in such a wide variety of artists.

Yep. I don't think they're all successful as prints (even these two don't quite work for me (though I agree, "Who is Inside Nemo's?" is a really great image)) but they have introduced me to a bunch of artists that I probably would not have heard of otherwise.

CookBeck

Cook & Becker just introduced a new Shenmue giclee print by John Sweeney (concept artist on Uncharted and The Last of Us). We still have a couple left. Available on our site

$99 for the normal size version. Edition of 100.

For the OP. If you could include Cook & Becker in the first post as a gallery that would be awesome!

5PSqMoM.jpg

MVKVSPW.jpg

LaneDS

Not a huge Shenmue fan but that is a really cool print, and those Ken Taylor Mad Max ones are looking sharp too.

IronRinn

Today, Thursday 8/13 AT A RANDOM TIME BETWEEN 12:00 and 12:30 pm ET on Bottleneck: David Welker's "Phish @ The Mann Center 8/11 & 8/12"

dbc3dbe0-d8f8-440e-93c2-86bae4816418.jpg

20" x 16" screen print. Signed and numbered edition of 800.

They only have a small portion of the run, so it's going to be a race to checkout. Not seeing a price. Sold out now, but it was $50.00.

IronRinn

Man the line work on those Mad Max OGs.. Hnnnggg!

That being said, furiousa's forehead kind of looks like a vortex.

Yeah, not digging his choices for doing the grease/warpaint. I wished I liked the poster enough to buy one for a reason other than trying to land an OG.

IronRinn

Tomorrow, Friday August 14th at 12 pm ET on Bottleneck: "Star Wars" prints by Marko Manev:

13" x 19" giclee prints. Numbered edition of 125. $35 each or $125 for a matching numbered set.

13" x 19" giclee prints. Numbered variant edition of 50. $35 each or $125 for a matching numbered set.

Larger images of individual prints here. Bottleneck only has a portion of the run for sale.

Browny

Banned
Awww crap. Having told myself not to buy the Ken Taylor Mad Max, for monetary reasons (PC build before the new baby arrives), this gets posted.

*shakes fist*

*preps credit card info*

Edit: 13x19? Errr, help?

see5harp

Yep. I don't think they're all successful as prints (even these two don't quite work for me (though I agree, "Who is Inside Nemo's?" is a really great image)) but they have introduced me to a bunch of artists that I probably would not have heard of otherwise.

To be honest, I sorta wish more of these companies would highlight original works. I love movies, video games, and entertainment in general but there's only so much pop culture I can hang on my walls. I know most established artists like James Jean and David Choe can just print and sell their own stuff but I'd love for people who are into that stuff too post in here. If it weren't for the post in here about the James Jean book, I would have never had a chance to grab it before they were sold out instantly.

IronRinn

To be honest, I sorta wish more of these companies would highlight original works. I love movies, video games, and entertainment in general but there's only so much pop culture I can hang on my walls. I know most established artists like James Jean and David Choe can just print and sell their own stuff but I'd love for people who are into that stuff too post in here. If it weren't for the post in here about the James Jean book, I would have never had a chance to grab it before they were sold out instantly.

I agree whole-heartedly. I try and keep up with as much stuff as I can (it's easier if galleries/artists have email newsletters) but obviously I can't keep up with everything. I think there has been more of a shift over to art prints lately in this thread and the one before it, but pop-culture stuff is still the driving force right now.

see5harp

I agree whole-heartedly. I try and keep up with as much stuff as I can (it's easier if galleries/artists have email newsletters) but obviously I can't keep up with everything. I think there has been more of a shift over to art prints lately in this thread and the one before it, but pop-culture stuff is still the driving force right now.

I feel like it's just so much time to follow every artist I'm into (also extremely expensive). David Choe posts on tublr and his blog. There's instagram and Facebook, twitter. It just gets overwhelming.

IronRinn

I feel like it's just so much time to follow every artist I'm into (also extremely expensive). David Choe posts on tublr and his blog. There's instagram and Facebook, twitter. It just gets overwhelming.

Yep. I don't know, maybe it's time for me to start using an RSS reader again!

How do those Ukiyo-e Heroes look in person? I really should get around to picking one up.

Actually, these are reproductions... the originals were a bit expensive and small so I asked a artist my parents command paintings, to reproduce these in a bigger format. They aren't perfect (handpaint can't make perfect line and colors and details like the prints) but they look fine.

I have a Samus print, which I really like. I also did the 12-month subscription for the smaller prints.

RrIOXFM.jpg

Insane framing job

Top Bottom