• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

Holy shit
ebKUM.gif

Ton1a.gif

uXttA.gif

2zjG8.gif

Video
Video

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is like ICenhancer for GTAIV...

Impressive.

Can't wait to get this game when I upgrade to a DX11 card. Will be a great game to test it out.

Karram

I'm really liking everything about the mod, except the lightning. I'm sure there are going to be far better graphics mods in the future.

Nekrono

Holy shit, I think this mod is making me want to replay Crysis 2 more than the DX11 patch.

I for one think the lighting is better, at least judging from some of his screenshots. I mean look:

ZFHDT.gif

epmode

Kyaw said:
Needs to be less contrasty. Many of the visual mods for the original Crysis has UBER EXTREME contrast levels... what's up with that?
NEXT GEN, man.

Subtlety is good. Rule of thumb: Do it like Valve.
Kyaw said:
Boo this man!
Quoi? I agree with you.

Red

Lighting is hit or miss. In some areas it is improved immensely, in others it's too harsh.

I took some screenshots with FRAPS/Steam capture, here's a link to my Steam screens, and a few FRAPS PNGs:

I have FRAPS saving to my dropbox folder, but for some reason it stopped taking pics after the first few. Seems to be happening a lot lately, which sucks. They're so vastly superior to Steam's jpegs :(

Mik2121

Not to be a jerk... but most of the stuff in the last few pics (that mod) look fucking ugly. I'd rather have the lower res textures that blend nicely together and don't get on the way, rather than those ugly ass textures and lighting. Ugh..

Some of those screens look insane, but yeah I'm in the 'that contrast, kill it with fire' group.
Blinding glare on everything when the sun is out =/= realism. Unless you live in a desert maybe.

I love the grass textures.

-SD-

Banned
NBtoaster said:
Tesselation analysis:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21404

suprise: it is terribly optimised. Small insignificant objects are given millions of polygons, the water is always rendered and tesselated under the map regardless of it's visibility, and seemingly flat surfaces are tesselated too.
That's another mark of failure for Crytek regarding Crysis 2.

I hope someone goes ahead and gets a comment from Crytek on that questionable usage of tesselation.

NBtoaster said:
Tesselation analysis:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21404

suprise: it is terribly optimised. Small insignificant objects are given millions of polygons, the water is always rendered and tesselated under the map regardless of it's visibility, and seemingly flat surfaces are tesselated too.

Was just about to post this. Yeah, this is some pretty shoddy optimization work. Rendering and tessellating an entire body of water underneath a city? :/

scitek

Rufus said:
"Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played"?
The guys at Hardware.fr found that enabling tessellation dropped the frame rates on recent Radeons by 31-38%. The competing GeForces only suffered slowdowns of 17-21%.

So shitty. Limiting the tessellation to 16x makes it look like shit.

About to start this game since Warhead has a bug that breaks the game for me. I don't know why we were bitching so much a couple months ago. The game looks spectacular in just DX9. The high-res and DX11 patches are currently downloading but I'm not expecting to be able to run them.

In C2 vanilla DX9 with everything on Ultra, I can stay for the most part above 30 fps with the following:

1440x900
E6750 DC2D @ 3.3 GHz
GTX 560 Ti
4GB DDR2 SDRAM

Ok, download is about to finish, and my machine about to go down in flames. Yeeeiiiiiaaahh!

Soi-Fong

Really sad to see that from Crytek. People with higher end GPU's are fine, but tesselating unnecessary objects will just make it worse for people with only mid-end video cards.

This pretty much means no optimization was done on their part or there really is an agenda from Nvidia.

Though, I wouldn't put it past ATI to do the same thing as well.

inky

Whoa. I know its kind of old, but, if I read the article correctly, they are speculating that Nvidia and Crytek poorly implemented tessellation on purpose for nothing else than to make Ati cards performance look bad even if it affected Nvidia's own cards?

That is fucking shitty if true, and I'm surprised it didn't make it to news sites to at least get some answers from both parties. Wow, vidyacards, serious business indeed. It's terrible if/when game companies lend themselves to that sort of cheap tricks. smh.

Played through the beginning area and performance is better than I expected running DX11 and high-res textures. It keeps above 30fps for the most part. Is there areas later in the game that absolutely destroy performance? If not, I might be able to get away with playing this maxed out.

DieH@rd

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
Played through the beginning area and performance is better than I expected running DX11 and high-res textures. It keeps above 30fps for the most part. Is there areas later in the game that absolutely destroy performance? If not, I might be able to get away with playing this maxed out.

Pod crashsite is one of the most demanding sections, you will get there pretty soon.

Top Bottom