• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 8 |OT| Top 25 Coug'd it. Or is it Clemsoning?

Lunar15

How have the directional florida schools like Central and Southern surpassed FSU and UF?

Years of mismanagement, injuries, and major suspensions.

Schedule might also have something to do with it, but I'm not gonna sit here and say with any confidence that UF could beat USF or UCF

I like the matchup with a running QB far more than one with a great arm. Running QBs haven't done anything all year against us.

Yeah it's hard to tell how good anyone is until they play better teams, but opponent adjusted stats can be useful.

Well, obviously. But if we both get to Atlanta and face off, if we both have great defenses and QBs that prove incapable of throwing, at least ours has legs and will get something, as opposed to Fromm the statue lol.

That or we unleash the Tua

Yup Mac was just boring and vanilla, Nuss, Alabama won in spite of Nuss. Its like people forget how much Alabama's offense was stuck in 2nd gear prior to Kiffin showing up. They went from a team that relied heavily on defense to keep it close, no turnovers on offense and safe play calling to a team that could blow the doors off anyone offensively.

2008-2013 you didn't expect Alabama to win a shoot out, or come from behind like they have the last 3 years in some games.

A Mac/Nuss coached offense loses to Clemson by 20 the past two years. That to me is proof of how they mismanaged the talent and skill positions, along with Saban getting even more outta the way.

Daboll seems like the right balance between what those coaches and Kiffin were doing.

Maybe the greatest offensive line of all time was wasted on Nuss. Derrick Henry behind that line eclipses 3,000 yards 😭

Questions for the podcast tonight?

Is Butch allowed in the Tennessee locker room after the game is over?

Years of mismanagement, injuries, and major suspensions.

Schedule might also have something to do with it, but I'm not gonna sit here and say with any confidence that UF could beat USF or UCF

Hey, UCF has had some run ins with the NCAA too! Scholarship losses, etc.!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How have the directional florida schools like Central and Southern surpassed FSU and UF?

Soooooo many people live in states like FL, Texas, CA ect... that it feels like with the right coach shit can break your way as there is more than enough talent to go around.

Also while they aren't the top tier FL schools in terms of perception either educationally or atheltically they aren't bad education wise.

Plus they aren't small schools either. I mean fucking UCF has something like 50,000 undergrad students. USF has almost 40.

So you got enough of a fanbase to try and pull from.

ryseing

Questions for the podcast tonight?

I think a conversation about the differences between Couging/Clemsoning/Battered Aggie Syndrome and other similar phrases would be appropriate given the events of last weekend.

UF, sure.

FSU's just having a season from hell. Their roster is still elite level talented. They'll be aight.

Enjoying every second of them struggling though.

Noles also need to make some coordinator changes, particularly Charles Kelly.

You'd have a point if the cult of Penn State hadn't been spending years trying to clear Paterno's name.

Ding ding ding.

Penn State and Happy Valley still deserve to be nuked from orbit. I'd feel bad about a community dying, jobs lost etc. if it wasn't one that actively defended knowing about child molestation.

andycapps

Well, obviously. But if we both get to Atlanta and face off, if we both have great defenses and QBs that prove incapable of throwing, at least ours has legs and will get something, as opposed to Fromm the statue lol.

That or we unleash the Tua

Fromm isn't Hurts or Justin Fields, that's for sure, but he's a lot more mobile than people think. He picked up a couple first down plays last week on option plays where he kept and ran one in for a TD. The inside zone with our RB's works so well that defenses key super hard on it and he's wide open much of the time.

He's actually done pretty damn well running the ball despite being called a "pocket" passer. His rushing totals obviously count any sacks so it makes his rushing look a lot worse than it has been.

Fromm isn't Hurts or Justin Fields, that's for sure, but he's a lot more mobile than people think. He picked up a couple first down plays last week on option plays where he kept and ran one in for a TD. The inside zone with our RB's works so well that defenses key super hard on it and he's wide open much of the time.

He's actually done pretty damn well running the ball despite being called a "pocket" passer. His rushing totals obviously count any sacks so it makes his rushing look a lot worse than it has been.

Ehhhhh, I believe he's decent enough, but I don't buy for a second he'd move the sticks on the ground more than once against us. We wouldn't be keying that hard on your RBs, for starters. Shouldn't need to.

Kyle Bonagura&#8207 said:
UCLA is allowing 6.57 yards per rush this season. In the last 14 years, no Power 5 program has allowed more. 2nd worst: 6.17 ypc.

And the Bruins are allowing 313.0 rushing yards per game. The 2nd worst mark by a Power 5 team since 2004 is 279.9 ypg.

That's um, not good.

Karl2177

I'm looking for a picture from a couple years back of Treon Harris with a trash can photoshopped as his jersey, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where to find it?

AntoneM

Dangit. Too late for a question, but, was going to ask: Who is the best .500 team right now and why is it Arizona State. #Homer

Not going to last for too long with @Utah this weekend and then USC at home.

andycapps

Intros are back this week by request! This week we talk about the debacle in the Carrier Dome, Andrew eating Runza in Lincoln, Nebraska, the state of Washington falling flat it's face this weekend, Gus keeping his hand in Auburn's cookie jar, and more. Also, screw The Coin.

Subscribe here in iTunes or search for The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice. Send questions and comments to podcast@the-cog.com.

tebunker

Banned

While I think Wafflehouse is okay. I have to admit I preferred iHop in T-Town and growing up. Now I just search out a local greasy spoon / breakfast joint.

They're okay up here in the north, but its not quite the same as living down south and having a lot of good choices and solid backstop in Waffle House. 3rd st diner in RVA will always be tops for the 'rude' staff at 3am and great diner food.

While I think Wafflehouse is okay. I have to admit I preferred iHop in T-Town and growing up. Now I just search out a local greasy spoon / breakfast joint.

They're okay up here in the north, but its not quite the same as living down south and having a lot of good choices and solid backstop in Waffle House. 3rd st diner in RVA will always be tops for the 'rude' staff at 3am and great diner food.

Nahnahnah, I'll die on the Waffle House>>>>IHOP hill.

Houston's Breakfast Klub>>>>>> though

Just as I foretold Bama losing yesterday, I also foresaw the Great War blossoming right now between Cole and Tebunker.

It starts with someone liking shitty IHOP. (Waffle House is the clear winner here.)

It ends with a quiet ride back home from Auburn, AL.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I just caught this shark and it ain't gonna hump itself.

andycapps

Waffle + Hashbrowns Scattered Covered + Bacon/Sausage + Coffee

All Star with hashbrowns scattered, smothered, covered, and chunked.

Waffle House is so much better than IHOP though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

What sucks is when ever I get something like the all Star I always end up like but I want grits AND Hashbrowns. I want bacon AND sausage. Lol

tebunker

Banned

WH has good hasbrowns and pretty much nothing else I'd ever eat. I like pancakes more than waffles any day of the week. Sorry not Sorry.

Trust me, got a lot of shit from friends when I'd suggest iHop over WH.

And there is also a subset who will go to war wearing the Denny's banner. Barf.

Shoney's breakfast was always legit too, but it served a different purpose than iHop and WH because they are generally open 24/7 or close to it.

If I could I'd eat at Pocahontas Pancake House in Virginia beach for breakfast all the time. Even with its cultural appropriation and horrid murals of poorly portrayed natives. The owners can make some damned good breakfast and really could just ditch the scenery/gimmick

Someone listens to PAPN.

There has also been a sustained drive to get a Waffle House in College Station to become a true SEC town.

Yep, and it was such a random, but valid question, I had to throw it out there.

Also, they need to hurry the fuck up. San Antonio does too. Waffle House should be everywhere!

tebunker

Banned
Yeah that's true. I'm usually a bacon guy, but yeah hashbrowns are good as are grits.

I think he absolutely did. Hello fellow PAPN listener.

Oh shit Bill Connelly on a podcast. How have I missed this?

just started listening to Shutdown Fullcast, may have to try papn too.

Quake1028

True. But his name is booger, so he gets at least one pass a week.

He basically said he needs to see Miami face some adversity and play someone with equal talent. The FSU and GT games say hi, and FSU has better talent than us. It was just a weird statement to make. Like, we are a sham 5-0. But it's not because we haven't faced adversity.

He basically said he needs to see Miami face some adversity and play someone with equal talent. The FSU and GT games say hi, and FSU has better talent than us. It was just a weird statement to make. Like, we are a sham 5-0. But it's not because we haven't faced adversity.

Georgia Tech is a bit of a sham 5-0, though. Like, congrats, y'all are undefeated, but y'all are more stumbling into wins than anything. Y'all needed two last second comebacks to beat a Georgia Tech team you probably should've lost to, and we're evenly matched with an FSU squad that's season went out the window during the 4Q of its season opener.

This is a successful season for y'all, but y'all are gonna end with a couple of losses, and probably shouldn't be in anyone's playoff projections are anything. I'd say you're about where you should be.

Quake1028

Georgia Tech is a bit of a sham 5-0, though. Like, congrats, y'all are undefeated, but y'all are more stumbling into wins than anything. Y'all needed two last second comebacks to beat a Georgia Tech team you probably should've lost to, and we're evenly matched with an FSU squad that's season went out the window during the 4Q of its season opener.

This is a successful season for y'all, but y'all are gonna end with a couple of losses, and probably shouldn't be in anyone's playoff projections are anything. I'd say you're about where you should be.

I'm not sure what you thought I typed, but I didn't type anything that should have led you to craft that response.

ryseing

Oh shit Bill Connelly on a podcast. How have I missed this?

just started listening to Shutdown Fullcast, may have to try papn too.

Add The Audible and you have my holy trinity of CFB pods, though I wish The Audible was twice a week during the season.

Top Bottom