• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

Varg

Banned
If anyone is interested in a sega genesis type action platformer , look no further then Insanitys blade . Bought it for cheap during some sale they had during the year and I have to say I was incredibly surprised by how good it is. Great music , side quests , lots of gore, leveling system , awesome bosses, and overall a great story . It's currently 80 percent off which makes the price 1.19. Buy it , you won't regret it .

OlliOlli 2 $3.74 (75% off)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365660/OlliOlli2_Welcome_to_Olliwood/

header.jpg

quite possibly the best skateboarding game of all time

yup, seriously gives THUG and the classic THPS games a run for their money, even if it's a different approach to gameplay

Purkake4

Banned
Children of a Dead Earth 16.09€ (30% off)

An ultra realistic spaceship combat simulator with realistic velocities, distances and damage models. You can design your own components based on actual physics models, including autocannons shooting nuke-tipped shells or giant nukes.

This video probably explains it better than I can. Here's some run of the mill gameplay.

Metroid

Regarding OlliOlli2:
Would you recommend just waiting for an android sale? To me it seems like it would be a good mobile game.

Ladekabel

Regarding OlliOlli2:
Would you recommend just waiting for an android sale? To me it seems like it would be a good mobile game.

I played the first OlliOlli on Vita and it was a good mobile game. While I have nothing against touch controls I have a hard time imagine the controls on a touchscreen.

Akutsi

Neo Member
Valley 4.99€ (75% off)

If you're looking for a fast paced first person platformer, you should check this one out.

Purkake4

Banned
Underrail - 7.09€ (50% off)

A Serbian-made tough-as-nails isometric RPG with tactical turn-based combat in the style of Fallout 1/2. There is a heavy focus on player freedom and exploration with tens of hours of content.

fermcr

The Way 6.77€ (55% off)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311010/The_Way/

header.jpg

"Journey to another planet and discover its secrets in order to bring your loved one back to life. Experience an adventure, inspired by old school classics like Another World, Heart of Darkness and Flashback."

Code:
[IMG]http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/311010/ss_35e831ceaafe9a1e4f535696e690c0766b0a4f71.600x338.jpg?t=1497949204[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/311010/ss_866f1eaca856012c13a068cedd79c7299688e68c.600x338.jpg?t=1497949204[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/311010/ss_afda2b9c19e4203e8107768c56ae563d93453cd4.600x338.jpg?t=1497949204[/IMG]

Morat

Banned

An ultra realistic spaceship combat simulator with realistic velocities, distances and damage models. You can design your own components based on actual physics models, including autocannons shooting nuke-tipped shells or giant nukes.

This video probably explains it better than I can. Here's some run of the mill gameplay.

Second this. Excellent game - think of it as a sort of Kerbal Space program but with the aforementioned nuke cannons.

StereoVsn

Second this. Excellent game - think of it as a sort of Kerbal Space program but with the aforementioned nuke cannons.
Oh, that's a great recommendation. Love Kerbal but always wanted weapons on those ships :). Wishlisted but considering just buying it, need to figure out what to cut from the cart then.

Picked up Unexplored. It's fucking excellent.
Nice! It's one of my favorite surprises this year. The dev support has been great too.

See, now this is the secret selfish reason why I make and/or love these threads, to learn about those rare indie games I overlooked. Can't believe I never heard of this game, your elevator pitches sound amazing

Eridani

Not sure if any of those count as hidden gems, but here's some games that I've enjoyed that are cheap at the moment:

Eador Genesis 0,49€ (90% off)

Are you a fan of Heroes of Might and Magic / King's Bounty? Do you want a similar game with a ton of content and a challenging difficulty? Then take a look at Eador. Yeah, it's not really quite as good as HoMM/King's Bounty, but it's also only 0,49€, so you're almost guaranteed to get your money's worth.

AI War: Fleet Command 0,99€ (90% off)

Yeah, this game's been around forever, and is apparently 80% off like every other month, but it's also one of the most interesting 4X games out there, since it's focused entirely on an asymmetric player vs ai campaign where you start out with almost nothing and build your galactic empire to face off against a progressively more aggressive ai. In case you somehow don't already own this game, it's definitely worth a look.

Geneforge Saga 5,99€ (70% off)

Spiderweb RPGs are pretty well known at this point, but the Geneforge series stands out as one of their most interesting games. It features a unique world with a mix of classic fantasy and sci-fi genetic engineering. It's also extremely open ended, offering a variety of endings and story paths. Sadly the later games are mostly more of the same and don't particularly innovate, but it's still a fun series.

Oh, and you get 5 (huge) games for 6€, which is one hell of a price. The other Spiderweb games are also on sale, but Avadon isn't very good, and I'm not a fan of the newer Avernum games on steam.

Drakensang: The River of Time 4,74€ (75% off)

It's basically Neverwinter Nights 2. The setting is different and slightly less generic setting, which helps. The RPG rules are also slightly different, which is a welcome change from all the roughly one million DnD 3.5 RPGs out there. But apart from that, the gameplay is very similar, so if you ever wished Bioware still made games line NWN2 this is definitely worth a shot. The first game might also be worth a look, but the beginning of that one is so painfully boring and generic that I just couldn't get past it, so I don't know.

SpaceChem 2,49€ (75% off)

One of the best puzzle games ever created. Instead of puzzles that require you to figure out the one and only possible solution to progress, SpaceChem's puzzles just present you with a goal and let you reach it however you want. The freedom this game gives you is seriously impressive. I'd also recommend it to people interested in programming, since it's similar to that in a lot of ways, while still being approachable. And then you can move to another game by the same developer, which is literary programming.

It is however extremely difficult. Luckily the difficulty curve is still pretty good, with the game slowly ramping up the difficulty, but eventually you'll probably hit a brick wall. If that sounds like a deal breaker this is probably not the best game.

Dustforce DX 4,99€ (50% off)

On the one hand, it's not the biggest sale the game's had. On the other hand, it's also one of the best platformers available on steam. It features Incredibly precise controls, airdashing and a focus on speedrunning with in game leader boards. The gameplay also flows incredibly well, and SS ranking a level feels incredible. If you've enjoyed games like Super Meat Boy, this is definitely worth a shot.

Hollow Knight 9,89€ (34% off)

Everyone's practically yelling about this in the sale OT thread so it's hardly a hidden gem, but fuck it, this is literary the best metroidvania game ever made so I'm putting it here. Everyone with even a remote interest in metroidvanias needs to play this game.

Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate - $0.99/0.89€ (90% off)

I've been nagging people about this in sales thread over and over again, but considering the game still only have about 10k owners on Steamspy, the message haven't gotten through enoug. ;) 14h long, local coop, includes both PJ Shooter 1&2 as one complete game, enhanced and classic graphics. Probably the best value for money in this sale.

I considered getting this, but it seems to me it's geared towards coop. Do you think it's worth it as single-player game?

Ok, so probably not a hidden gem and more of me living under a rock for 6 months, but how is Shadow Tactics? It came up on my queue and looks awesome.
I actually came to post about this game, it's amazing and the first thing I thought of after seeing the thread pop up.

The Divinity series has gotten far more popular since Divinity: Original Sin, but most of the games in the series are rad and interesting. The Divinity Anthology can be had for $3.

This includes Divine Divinity, a 2D Diablo-style APRG with good writing, a decent amount of freedom/open world, and some quest cleverness that lends to Elder Scrolls. (By itself for $0.60)

It also has Divinity II: Developer's Cut, a curious and fun 3D APRG with a similarly playful tone in its writing and lore. (By itself for $2)

Coming off of the dragon sections of Divinity II, there's also Divinity: Dragon Commander, which I shamefully bought in the last sale and haven't played, but I feel like the whole "Dragon Commander" subtitle should sell itself. $4, not included in the Anthology.

Gaspard

Here's my recommendation:

Crimzon Clover: WORLD IGNITION ($1.99 - 80% off)

Crimzon Clover a Japanese indie bullet hell shoot em up, and it just so happens to be one of the best ever made in the genre. Some of the most spectacular and dazzling art style, spritework and animations in any 2D shmup. Plays flawlessly, with an innovative combination of a lock-on system and "Break Mode" which allows you to flood the screen with firepower that separates it from most other shooters. A huge amount of content with various unique ships and alternate modes and difficulties.

090D18D7CF22EF6B30490CB0E381C23E43E9EBF6

Looks even better in motion!

Even if you're new to shoot 'em ups, this is the perhaps the best place to start. Easy mode is very accessible while still being a blast. $2 is an absolute steal for one of the best shooters ever created.

Ok now this looks pretty baller

Any cheap strategy or RPG hidden gem recommendations? I really like turn-based games but real time is not a deal-breaker. I've played most of the well-known titles and I'm wondering if I've missed out on other quality games.

Not sure if any of those count as hidden gems, but here's some games that I've enjoyed that are cheap at the moment:

Eador Genesis 0,49€ (90% off)

Are you a fan of Heroes of Might and Magic / King's Bounty? Do you want a similar game with a ton of content and a challenging difficulty? Then take a look at Eador. Yeah, it's not really quite as good as HoMM/King's Bounty, but it's also only 0,49€, so you're almost guaranteed to get your money's worth.

I am! Bought and thanks for the heads up.

Everyone asking for a great metroidvaina, that's also a true hidden gem? This is the title, people:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252030/Valdis_Story_Abyssal_City/

I bought and played this game several steam sales ago (looking it up, seems like I got it in the winter 2014 sale), I've got 49 hours clocked on it with just one character. Last time I played it there were two available, I believe there are 4 available total now. It's only $3.74 this sale. If you are a fan of metroidvania games, seriously check this out. The art style is great, the soundtrack is killer and the gameplay is addicting. Typing up this post has me thinking of playing through it again now with one of the other characters.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oxenfree - $4.99 (-75%)

header.jpg

ss_4c3b72bb9925f3156e17ec2b2cb7121c5af2e85c.600x338.jpg

Really fun five-ish hour long supernatural adventure story game. The puzzle solving is pretty light but the (teen, high-school) characters are well written and very well voiced and the dialogue system is nifty. Strong recommend

Antichamber - $3.99 (-80%)
header.jpg

ss_c02435ac01bff1e3af6c69e9ddeb77f6bf40caf2.600x338.jpg

An absolutely mind bending first person puzzle game. Lots of crazy tricks with perspective and lateral thinking and lots of cube manipulation

Kairo - $0.89 (-83%)
header.jpg

ss_50eb66badd7a68ba89fee4aac2ae9d4f2a28bae8.600x338.jpg

A much more sedate first person puzzler than Antichamber. You can breeze through this one in a few hours, and there's nothing too challenging, but its dripping in a particular sort of atmosphere and I really enjoyed it

Puzzle Agent - $0.99 (-80%)
header.jpg

ss_2a1ae0b42e01911d87fe72a662c251b8a2a5ace7.600x338.jpg

A "Layton-like" with a great sense of humor and a pretty great voice cast. If you want to solve a murder mystery in a sleepy Minnesota town by solving puzzles this game is worth your dollar

jimboton

Toki Tori 2 75% off - $3.74

The Anti-Metroidvania Two moves. Two. Criminally overlooked.

Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 Bundle 60% off - $11.99

Grimrock is a wonderful Dungeon Master throwback, Grimrock 2 is a goddamn stone-cold classic.

La-Mulana 67% off - $4.94

La Mulana is EVIL.

La Mulana is made by SADISTIC ASSHOLES.

La Mulana has sick tunes.

La Mulana is a masterpiece.

Very brutal, sweet music, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb story though. Like, DUMB dumb.

One of my hauls yesterday. Looks neat.

^^^

It's very...methodical. Methodical and zen. Alot of the music sounds like this with a good bit that goes eerie waltz time bit too so we are all under the understanding that this isn't Ys.

BUT. It is the sequel to Vagrant Story silly people keep buying monkey's paws to procure from SE (which they shouldn't).

Such excellent taste, I am in awe.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Any cheap strategy or RPG hidden gem recommendations? I really like turn-based games but real time is not a deal-breaker. I've played most of the well-known titles and I'm wondering if I've missed out on other quality games.

Voidspire Tactics - sort of in the style of FF tactics. The developers second game, Alvora Tactics, is also now on steam.

Underrail - was mentioned earlier. Similar to Fallout 1 and 2.

NEO Scavenger - difficult roguelike

Dungeon Rats - the combat of Age of Decadence is the main mechanic of this semi-dungeon crawler.

Wizardry 6-8 - the greatest trilogy of games for around 3$.

From this year, I love Battle Brothers, but its relatively new so it did not get a big discount.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Eridani

I am! Bought and thanks for the heads up.

I really don't know what counts as well known in turn based strategy games, but here's a couple of good ones, even if most are relatively well known:

Dominions 4 Deep and complex, 4x/grand strategy-ish game that's really quite unique
Conquest of Elysium 4 - Similar to Dominions, but smaller scale, more RPG-ish
Age of Wonders series - Just in case you haven't played one of the best TBS games out there yet. I linked Shadow Magic because I really like it, but 1 and 3 are also great.
Disciples II
- Another classic TBS game, though also pretty well known.
Expeditions: Conquistador - Strategy RPG with turn based combat and an King's Bounty-esque overworld map. It has some really interesting ideas, even if the execution is a bit lacking. There's also a sequel (Expeditions: Viking) which I haven't played much, but it seemed much more character driven, which was nice. Much more expensive though.
Xenonauts - Basically X-COM
Twilight Struggle - An adaptation of one of the best board games ever made. Has AI play, but you'll probably want to find someone to play it with to get the most out of it.
Blood Bowl 2 - Another board game adaptation. A turn based tactical game based on American football + Warhammer. It's actually a really fun and strategic game. Blood Bowl 2 really milks you with DLC though, so if you only want single player Blood Bowl legendary edition might be a better choice.
Card hunter - f2p card based strategy RPG. I really liked it when it originally came out, though it's probably kind of dead now. I see it's still getting updates though, so at least there's that.

Ok, here are my suggestions:

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/477/The_Dream_Machine__Full_Game/

Chapter 6 *just* came out in May this year. If you've been waiting the last 4 years for the conclusion, now's the time to grab the game!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/361550/Cradle/

Ok, this is a weird one. It's a Ukrainian indie game, set in Mongolia. The setting is really good, the gameplay is weird and sometimes frustrating but the payoff at the end was worth it (for me at least). The amount of world building the developers did really amazes me, and I really think everyone should give the game a chance. Can't talk too much otherwise I'd spoil it, but there were certain things in this game that really are thought provoking. The end credits are both hilarious and amazing at the same time.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/257690/JULIA_Among_the_Stars/

Here's another weird one that I liked. The puzzles were ok, the story was average but what astounded me was the variety of locations the game presented and it was made by TWO PEOPLE.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250030/Lilly_Looking_Through/

Very beautifully done game. Puzzles were easy enough I didn't even need to look up a guide. The only problem is that the game just stops abruptly when things start to get good. Will there ever be a sequel? Who knows. At least I enjoyed what I played.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265690/?snr=1_5_9__205

Do you like the Blame! manga by Tsutomu Nihei? Do you wanna explore a big ass city that's underground? If you said to both these questions, get this game. It's mostly a walking simulator (with a bit of excitement here and there) and it's really short.

Top Bottom