• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Tommy DJ

You haven't seen Intel's Retail Edge program?

This bullshit and up-selling strategy honestly isn't anything new if you're in computer retail. And, while it seems strange, it actually does work.

We used to lie about power supply requirements and quality to sell high margin Thermaltake power supplies if we had a sneaking suspicion the buyer was a little bit confused about PSUs. Normally it'd be obvious because computer nerds either already have a list prepared or pick out a very specific Antec/Corsair/Seasonic PSU.

Blanquito

·feist·;241493319 said:

The source press release from AMD shows Baidu, but also Microsoft Azure using EPYC. I hadn't heard anyone mention that, but that seems somewhat... big, right?

edit:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-epyc-datacenter-2017jun20.aspx
”We've worked to make Microsoft Azure a powerful enterprise grade cloud platform, that helps guide the success of our customers, no matter their size or geography," said Girish Bablani, corporate vice president, Azure Compute, Microsoft Corp. ”To power Azure, we require the most cutting-edge infrastructure and the latest advances in silicon which is why we intend to be the first global cloud provider to deliver AMD EPYC, and its combination of high performance and value, to customers.

NeOak

You haven't seen Intel's Retail Edge program?

This bullshit and up-selling strategy honestly isn't anything new if you're in computer retail. And, while it seems strange, it actually does work.

We used to lie about power supply requirements and quality to sell high margin Thermaltake power supplies if we had a sneaking suspicion the buyer was a little bit confused about PSUs. Normally it'd be obvious because computer nerds either already have a list prepared or pick out a very specific Antec/Corsair/Seasonic PSU.

I've seen it. I've seen their stuff since the Pentium III era against Athlon.

Big lol @ the Pentium 4 era when the Athlon 64 came out.

I just wanted to share something recent ;-;

ServeTheHome included this confirmation of Epyc with B2 stepping:

ServeTheHome (STH) —— AMD EPYC 7000 Series Architecture Overview for Non-CE or EE Majors

amd-epyc-7601-2p-64-cdvsk1.jpg

Roughly half way down in the image above you'll notice "Stepping 2." Current Ryzen 7s and Ryzen 5s are "Stepping 1."

The piece makes no mention of the finding so it may have been a simple happy coincidence.

The current Zen and upcoming Zen+ cores use 14LLP. 7LP will be used for Zen 2 cores and is expected for late 2018, early 2019.

Edit: Also there are reports about a B2 stepping that "fixes many bugs" likely in preparation for the use of the dies in MCM packages like Threadripper and Epyc:

Canard PC Hardware said:
B2-step seems to focus on Uncore/SoC erratas (PCIe controllers, etc.) . I don't see many fixed bugs within the core.
https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/876213236743507968
Any idea when this new stepping is coming? I just finished my R5 1600 build and I can still return and wait a little bit. Unless it's going to takes months.
The's no word of if or when B2 stepping might come to the mainstream desktop Ryzens. Unless AMD opt to do one of those "mid-cycle"-type quiet refresh/running changes of gen.1 Ryzen we likely won't see another re-spin of mainstream parts until the expected Zen+ line on a further refined 14nm process, ahead of Zen 2 on 7nm. There is very little pre-launch info on Ryzen 3 and Ryzen Mobile, so either of those could potentially be B2 as well (mobile much more likely to feature it than R3).

The source press release from AMD shows Baidu, but also Microsoft Azure using EPYC. I hadn't heard anyone mention that, but that seems somewhat... big, right?

edit:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-epyc-datacenter-2017jun20.aspx
It is very big. Microsoft Azure, Dell, Samsung and others have videos and some press release info from Epyc's launch in this post here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241391364&postcount=3220

Of the announced contract wins Baidu happens to be one of the largest companies that most people would be unfamiliar with, though.

Nokterian

Having 1700X over nearly a month now i can say i am pretty happy with it. Great to see AMD finally having competition towards intel, it has been to long.

So is it true that Ryzen is better than Intel's 7xxxX at actual rendering/CPU heavy applications? Would it be wise to invest now on a Ryzen CPU+MOBO or is something new coming soon?

Mr Swine

Banned
bleh, the new 1.0.0.6 update for Gigabyte mobos is just giving me a headache. With 1.0.0.4 everything has been running fine with mem speeds at 2933mhz. Now with the 1.0.0.6 update I cannot even boot the computer at that speed and defaults to 2133mhz. Should have never updated the bios :/

Edit: this update is shit. I cannot get my memory stick higher than 2133mhz, what a load of crap 1.0.0.6 is. Going to downgrade back to 1.0.0.4 IF its possible

Khaz

So is it true that Ryzen is better than Intel's 7xxxX at actual rendering/CPU heavy applications? Would it be wise to invest now on a Ryzen CPU+MOBO or is something new coming soon?

If you are wondering whether it's better to buy AMD now or AMD later, they are planning for at least four years of support of AM4. All their desktop CPU will be for that platform. If you are convinced that AMD is the current better option, then there is no need to wait, as you can always get the better future CPU in two or four years, without having to also pay for the motherboard and RAM.

This is what tend to see from various sites, so I'm inclined to say yes.

Thanks!

If you are wondering whether it's better to buy AMD now or AMD later, they are planning for at least four years of support of AM4. All their desktop CPU will be for that platform. If you are convinced that AMD is the current better option, then there is no need to wait, as you can always get the better future CPU in two or four years, without having to also pay for the motherboard and RAM.

Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for. I'll keep my eye out for deals. Thanks again!

Ryzen CPU Problems [playing Overwatch, Hearthstone]
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20755905405#post-4

Bill Warnecke - Blizzard Moderator (Blizzard Employee?) said:
Hey NanoPython. We have seen issues with Overwatch running on Ryzen. These types of issues are a major focus for our engine team and we do frequent small bug fix patches for compatibility.

I don't have an ETA for your specific issues but I wanted to acknowledge your post and let you know we're working on it.

Cheers

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/878575914996695040

Bits And Chips - Eng‏ 
@BitsAndChipsEng

Supermicro and Tyan are studying Enthusiast-grade mainboards for Threadripper. ;) [in addition to their Epyc server/enterprise motherboards]

article-630x354.6e8a962s5z.jpg

No set release date on either of ASRock's X370 or B350 Mini-ITX boards yet, but Gigabyte's has been posted on their site.

Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) - AMD B350 chipset
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10
2017061615150776_big.png

New Generation AMD EPYC™ Processor-based Solutions
https://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/nfo/AMD_SP3.cfm

A+ Servers are Your Best Choice!

Supermicro's latest range of AMD EPYC™ 7000 Series SoC-based server and storage solutions offer new levels of optimized performance per watt per dollar, and deliver outstanding core density, superior memory bandwidth, and unparalleled I/O capacity.

Supporting up to 32 "Zen" cores and 64 threads per socket, these Supermicro solutions are tightly coupled with high-throughput, low-latency, hot-swappable NVMe storage, up to 4TB of DDR4 memory over 8 memory channels per socket, and up to 128 PCI-E 3.0 lanes on a dual- or single-socket system.

Supermicro's new generation A+ solutions supporting AMD EPYC™ enable a new range of powerful and energy-efficient server options to radically lower data center TCO through an optimized balance of compute, memory, I/O, and storage resources.

SP3Server.jpg

Boston Launches First to Market Server Series featuring AMD EPYC™ Processors
http://pressreleases.responsesource...t-to-market-server-series-featuring-amd-epyc/

Boston Limited is pleased to announce the Global Launch of AMD EPYC™ - ready servers at ISC Frankfurt 2017 - The widest range of AMD EPYC™ – Ready Servers, available today!

The hotly anticipated release of AMD EPYC™ 7000 Series processors is set to shake up the marketplace with a totally new high-performance x86 core design, originally codenamed Zen. With a range delivering 16-32 cores and with two threads per core, enabling 32 to 64 threads per processor and 128 PCIe 3.0 lanes per socket, industry experts are paying attention to AMD once again.

Boston’s AMD EPYC™ server series, built on Supermicro® building blocks, has the fastest memory available. AMD have adopted the SoC (system on a chip) approach, meaning a separate chipset component is not required for general purpose IO, meaning saving on overall energy consumption reducing component footprint on the motherboard and ultimately a saving in cost.

Boston exhibited a server their NDA room at the show - a 1U dual processor server featuring up to two AMD EPYC 7000-series processors, up to 4TB ECC registered DDR4-2666MHz system memory in 32 DIMM slots, 2x PCI-E x16 (FH/HL 9.5”) slots, 1x PCI-E x8 (LP) slot, quad Gigabit Ethernet ports, 4x 3.5” hot-swap SATA3 drive bays (with optional NVMe support) and dual redundant 10000W Titanium level power supplies.

Manoj Nayee, Managing Director, Boston Limited says; “Once again all eyes are on Boston at ISC for our first to market solutions. We’ve been inviting guests to our NDA room throughout the show this year to preview just one of our many solutions featuring AMD EPYC™. We’ve had a record number of pre-bookings for the room ahead of the show and word has spread to ensure that this has been the busiest show for us yet! For those who weren’t able to visit us at ISC this year, I invite them to contact Boston for a test drive at our Boston Labs facility.”

Khaz

Sli and Crossfire perhaps?

PCI slots for anything that isn't a GPU. 2 RAM slots and 4 SATA ports could potentially be limiting as well.

Yeah, obviously, but that's part of the mini-ITX design. I meant more in an integrated peripheral fashion.

About M.2, it says
1 x M.2 Socket 3 connector on the back of the motherboard (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4*/x2 SSD support)
* Actual support may vary by CPU.
Not all Ryzen can do PCIe x4 on the M.2 connector?

Buggy Loop

·feist·;241811763 said:
No set release date on either of ASRock's X370 or B350 Mini-ITX boards yet, but Gigabyte's has been posted on their site.

Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) - AMD B350 chipset
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10
2017061615150776_big.png

About time! My 7 years old PC retirement was waiting on more alternatives than Biostar for Ryzen HTPC build :D

Surely, this will be less expensive than ASrock's freaking Fatal1ty branding?

X370 & AB350 is fucking ridiculous for mini-ITX btw, could there even be a single difference? If we take ASRock for example

X370

AB350

There's not a single difference between the 2 boards, except a hefty tax on the X370.

I know it would be another story if it was ATX mobo, but for mini-itx, it's a scam so far to even include X370 and charge more.

Khaz

The BIOS for the AB350N Gaming Wifi was also very similar to the AB350 Gaming 3. There wasn’t any easy or simple mode to boot into. The first page you land on is the M.I.T. page where the overclocking settings are located. Like the Gaming 3, there aren’t a ton of options here but things did work well out of the box. I was able to set XMP and roll with it but I wasn’t able to manually set the memory settings that matched what we ran on the other boards. As for CPU overclocking, you can get into the clock ratio but there aren’t a lot of options, unlike the X370 boards. Given the ITX form factor this is about all you should need but if you are here looking for crazy overclocking options this isn’t the board.

Meh. B350 are supposed to have the same overclocking capabilities as the X370. Gigabyte limiting its board on purpose?

And to answer my previous question, lack of USB type-C is a bit disappointing. Though I believe a type C connector belongs to the front of a case. I'm not up to par with all the new USB standards, can you put a small adapter on one of those red connectors and get the same speed? Or use one of the internal connectors?

HardwareCanucks [YouTube] —— We Switched to AMD Ryzen! TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Today is the day where we no longer have to wait for videos to render to use our PCs again. Dmitry swaps out his trusty i7 6700K for a multi-tasking monster the Ryzen 7 1700X. Let's see how it plays out :)
Full 1700X review w/ Gaming benchmarks : http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...880-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-review-testing-smt.html

https://twitter.com/Dimitry49/status/878603377843683328
Dmitry Novoselov 🍉‏ @Dimitry49

every editors dream 😎 @AMDRyzen 1700X 😍 the chip flies! Just incredible!

ddfs179xoaa0aksf7s3m.jpg

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/879506650343903233
Hardware Canucks‏ @hardwarecanucks

Finally did it! Editing Stations SWITCHED to @AMD Ryzen CPU's. The result...definitely worth the investment! https://youtu.be/sjzzdkUvKhk

ddsijhxwsaakdidl1s66.jpg

Heise —— AMD Epyc starts [German]

~ Google Tranlate ~ said:
With Epyc you now have a processor that is up to four times as powerful as the last Opteron 6386 SE five years ago . Above all, Epyc should be at least competitive with most of the server workloads to the Xeon of the absolute market leader Intel.

This is why the numerous first-class partners, who are in urgent need of an alternative to Intel: server manufacturers such as HPE, Dell / EMC, Microsoft, Supermicro, Asus, Tyan ...
Linpack, Stream ...

From the high Epyc performance, heise online was able to convince himself at a visit to the AMD Austin headquarters in Austin, where he also ran his own programs and benchmarks in the laboratory.

With the storage benchmark stream on a 2P system with Epyc 7601, the transfer rate with a measured 247 GB / s (triad) is at twice the value of the system with two Xeon E5 2699Av4. At the Linpack, Epyc expected to be less than the competitor, with 1050 to 1520 GFlops, it comes to about two thirds. The test device ran under Ubuntu Server 16.04.

Cinebench R15 has changed to Windows Server 2016 [-] is also running. The Cinebech value first swayed between quite a decent 5400 to 6000, but AMD technicians were still working on the configuration and ultimately values ​​came to 6879, about 1300 more than the Xeon E5-2699Av4.

For a 1: 1 comparison with Intel, a Basic Run with gcc 6.3 is only useful with -O2 without architecture or tuning flags and without special libraries such as Smartheap. As Epyc 7601 is about 40 percent (SPECint) or 60 percent (SPECfp) compared to the Xeon E5 2699Av4 in front.

This is similar to the (much faster) code of the specially optimized compiler of Intel (icc) and AMD (Open64), whereby the old Open64 compiler knows only bulldozer, but no Zen. Nevertheless, the advantage of the optimized form with far faster code remains roughly the same. AMD also officially submitted the values ​​measured with Open64 4.5.1 at SPEC.

amd-epyc-spec-e55d608ts9c.jpeg

Open64 is no longer maintained. For the future AMD is mainly based on the new AMD Optimizing C / C ++ compiler (AOCC) , which is based on LLVM . The new suite, SPEC CPU2017 , which has now come to the end of eleven years of hard work at the ISC, is supposed to perform well.

- Counterrevolutionary

Intel will, however, with the Scalable Xeon Family Skylake-SP will shortly counter and at least the flagship with 28 cores and six memory channels should pass in many benchmarks again.

But by far the largest market is likely to be found in the Xeon Gold 6148 with 20 cores, as it is already found in two large systems in the Top500 list . And this will have to be measured with approximately equivalent Epyc processors. It is then not least a question of the price and from HPE and Dell circles one hears from 10 to 20 per cent price advantage with the same performance for Epyc.

AMD has already developed the second Epyc generation "Rome" with improved Zen-2 architecture ; It is to be produced with 7 nm transistors. Rome is to fit in the same LGA4094 sockets (Socket SP3) as the first Epyc "Naples".

kuYuri

·feist·;241470201 said:
Once again, people living in the states seem to have the lowest priced and most consistent deals on Ryzen:

PC Gamer —— AMD's Ryzen 7 1700X drops below $300 at Walmart - Cheapest price around.

Late on this, but while it might be cheaper than Micro Center, the one thing that MC has that Walmart doesn't is you get a heavy discount on motherboards purchased for the Ryzen chip, $100 off to be exact. That can bring certain B350 boards down to free with the 1700X. If I was in the market to build again, I would have been all over that MC deal.

The PDF linked to here seems to be unavailable, does anyone have a copy of it or the memory it listed?
Here's a Google Cache version of it: https://webcache.googleusercontent....support-list-en.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Google auto-saves PDFs in HTML format. Here's a Pastebin of the Google Cache: https://pastebin.com/8zwfVHHE

You may want to save the cache in document form on your end for reference.

Late on this, but while it might be cheaper than Micro Center, the one thing that MC has that Walmart doesn't is you get a heavy discount on motherboards purchased for the Ryzen chip, $100 off to be exact. That can bring certain B350 boards down to free with the 1700X. If I was in the market to build again, I would have been all over that MC deal.
While this is true and a great option, we should all remember how limited Microcenter even within the only (??) country it is available. For any US GAF members the Walmart offer is a good option for anyone who can't get to MC for their in-store only deals. Not sure if the Walmart deal may apply in any other country they operate in.

Shawsie64

Banned
Does anyone have any experience with steam streaming and 1600/1700x? My current setup is showing its age when streaming certain titles.. Always had Intel systems but great steam in home streaming perf would make me take a good look at a AMD CPU!

sikkinixx

Anyone here using an ASRock B350 board? My USB stuff keeps needing to be unplugged and replugged in when either booting or sleeping (not consistent, sometimes it will sometimes not) Wondering if it needs an update or something reinstalled? It's a fresh install of W10

DonMigs85

Does anyone have any experience with steam streaming and 1600/1700x? My current setup is showing its age when streaming certain titles.. Always had Intel systems but great steam in home streaming perf would make me take a good look at a AMD CPU!

Shouldn't the GPU be able to do the transcoding?

Top Bottom