• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

HAwyLaB.png

Developer: Concerned Ape
Publisher: Chucklefish
Platform: Windows PS4 and XBox One
Price: $14.99
Steam | GOG | Humble | PSN | XBox Store

Stardew Valley is an open-ended country-life RPG, coming to PC on February 26th, 2016!

You’ve inherited your grandfather’s old farm plot in Stardew Valley. Armed with hand-me-down tools and a few coins, you set out to begin your new life. Can you learn to live off the land and turn these overgrown fields into a thriving home? It won’t be easy. Ever since Joja Corporation came to town, the old ways of life have all but disappeared. The community center, once the town’s most vibrant hub of activity, now lies in shambles. But the valley seems full of opportunity. With a little dedication, you might just be the one to restore Stardew Valley to greatness!
HyEoB5u.png

• Partial Controller Support
  • Character Customization
  • House Customization
  • Up to 2 pets
  • 9 different farm animals
  • Around 40 types of fishes
  • Over two hours of original music
  • 12 marriage candidates (6 women and 6 man)
  • Exploration!
  • And many more

BTGruch.png

Trailer

DYAZr1B.png

PC Gamer - 80/100
Stardew Valley is definitely rough around the edges, but that didn't matter when I was fishing on a little pixelated pier, or making friends with a homeless person in a tent. Its imperfections never damage that feeling of gentle escape to the countryside. They never made me love my farm dog any less, or made me want to put down my hoe and return to the office.

Cornell Daily Sun
Stardew Valley solves the stagnation and repetition of gameplay in recent games in the Harvest Moon series and offers so many more spatial possibilities and customizing capabilities than similar precursors in design, such as Pokémon and Animal Crossing...Whether you’ve played every Harvest Moon game out there or you’re new to gaming, don’t miss this gem of an RPG.

Shepard

This game looks so good. Been waiting for a good harvest moon game on Steam for a long time. Also, lovely OT.

Kiyo

Was hoping someone would make an OT for this. Been waiting for this game for years now. Can't believe it's only a few hours away now!

What a crappy OT!

Jus jonking with what they wrote in the other thread lol
The OT is small and nice PandaPedinte

Going to read the review, have it in my wishlist since the thread I saw yesterday. Really like the second part of the trailer, when it really show all the advancement Harvest Moon hasn't really had and when you play you always thought it would be nice to add things like that.

Pachimari

I have Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley on my 3DS and I really like what I have played, even though it's still confusing me. Wonder if I'll like Stardew Valley better. Or maybe in Story of Seasons.

Wanace

Will buy, but what does "partial controller support" mean?

Would really love to play this without mouse and keyboard as much as possible.

Drazgul

Modding seems to be a thing (dev quotes off of reddit):

A lot of the game data is contained in external files. So you could potentially edit those to create new content. I haven't actually tried doing it "from the outside" yet myself, though. There are certain things I know for sure are possible, like adding in new events.

The game is somewhat moddable right out of the box, but there's definitely some more I could do to make it mod-friendly. It's something I'm interested in doing, but also not a top priority for the launch. I'm also supportive of modding and will do whatever I can to help. I'm actually very interested to play any mods that people make. I've been playing Stardew Valley for years, so I'm really looking forward to being surprised with some new content!

The barrier to creating mods should be lower than with most other games, so it'll be interesting to see what people can come up with. Proper modding support & community can be such a boon when it comes to the longevity of the game - not that there's a dearth of content in SV to begin with.

Cronee

Finally! I can't wait for my work day to end and my 3 day weekend to begin! Most of it will be dedicated to playing this.

The barrier to creating mods should be lower than with most other games, so it'll be interesting to see what people can come up with. Proper modding support & community can be such a boon when it comes to the longevity of the game - not that there's a dearth of content in SV to begin with.

It just gets better and better

This could end up being the only Harvest Moon you'll ever need. It's not like HM have much new content for each game. Might as well just play this with new mods forever instead.

Arthea

While everybody is bent on calling it Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley is still my PC Rune Factory and I openly declare this for all to see.

DryvBy

While everybody is bent on calling it Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley is still my PC Rune Factory and I openly declare this for all to see.

I call it Harvest Moon not because of exactly how it plays, but because it looks more similar to this:

hmoon2.jpg

I'll be away for some hours, if more reviews appears just post them and when I'm back the op will be updated.

I never plated Rune Factory, could you explain the similarities?

Arthea

I'll be away for some hours, if more reviews appears just post them and when I'm back the op will be updated.

will do

It's not like I know that they are really similar, but combat, marriages and wishful thinking make it so. As you can guess I'm more of Rune Factory person.

Rune Factory is a Harvet Moon/Story of Seasons spinoff that is a hybrid of Harvest Moon and Action RPG.

I'm definitely interested in this game, but I just started Rune Factory 4 recently, not to mention Fire Emblem: Fates. So this is sadly a pretty low priority game for me

aravuus

Would kill for a local multiplayer mode, I think this would be a great game to play with the GF, but I'm sure taking turns will be fun too. Will probably buy it when I get home.

addik

Heard about this game from the other thread and found this really intriguing. It seems that it's essentially FoMT with the town portion being completely expanded (and I see that there are quests to accomplish?). Was thinking of buying this, then I realized that this isn't going to be out for the Mac. :(

I'll read impressions of the game though, and I'll buy it if it becomes available for the mac, or someone will make a wrapper for this game.

Aaron D.

Great OT!

Just to clarify on the partial controller support part, you only use the keyboard to type letters (names, etc.). The rest of the game is fully controlled with a game-pad. I've seen it before with Steam games that are ostensibly fully functional with a controller, sans a minor quibble here or there. It's kind of misleading, but I understand that Steam is obligated to label it "partial support".

Can't wait to dive in!

Cronee

Heard about this game from the other thread and found this really intriguing. It seems that it's essentially FoMT with the town portion being completely expanded (and I see that there are quests to accomplish?). Was thinking of buying this, then I realized that this isn't going to be out for the Mac. :(

I'll read impressions of the game though, and I'll buy it if it becomes available for the mac, or someone will make a wrapper for this game.

Unless a wrapper is made, you'll likely be waiting a long time sadly. The game was made in its entirety by a single person and it took something like 3 or 4 years, maybe more? Maybe if it's a breakout hit he could hire someone.

Aaron D.

Oh, and if you're putting review quotes in the OT, here's a newspaper one from the previous thread (credit to Vandole):

Cornell Daily Sun

Stardew Valley solves the stagnation and repetition of gameplay in recent games in the Harvest Moon series and offers so many more spatial possibilities and customizing capabilities than similar precursors in design, such as Pokémon and Animal Crossing...Whether you’ve played every Harvest Moon game out there or you’re new to gaming, don’t miss this gem of an RPG.

I'm installing Windows on bootcamp just to play this!

Wow, 1 guy made this?

Guess that means we won't see it on PS4 or anywhere else anytime soon. I'll probably get it for PC in that case.

Can anyone give me some comparisons as to what this game does better than Harvest Moon? Only really played Friends of Mineral Town, loved it, but Im hoping this game vastly expands on such an old game and that there is some difficulty/challenge.

mileS

Been following this game for years now. I can't believe its actually out now. I swear just last month i read his blog saying it was getting closer but still a ton of work to be done. I'm wondering if he cut a bunch of stuff last minute.

addik

Unless a wrapper is made, you'll likely be waiting a long time sadly. The game was made in its entirety by a single person and it took something like 3 or 4 years, maybe more? Maybe if it's a breakout hit he could hire someone.

Yeah, I realized this when I was reading the game. I still hope I can support the developer in some other way (aside from the OST), and I do hope it becomes a hit.

I'm installing Windows on bootcamp just to play this!

Sadly, I use my system to edit videos and I don't want to install too many apps there. This is fine since it's a small game, but I don't think I can install another OS.

Nice to have our OT! Also, wasn't really expecting a review from PC Gamer, but that's nice.

I call it Harvest Moon not because of exactly how it plays, but because it looks more similar to this:

hmoon2.jpg

God, the hours I spent playing this game as a kid. I feel exactly the same way as you, my mind immediately went to Harvest Moon SNES the first time I saw this game.

Just let me buy it already.

Been following this game for years now. I can't believe its actually out now. I swear just last month i read his blog saying it was getting closer but still a ton of work to be done. I'm wondering if he cut a bunch of stuff last minute.

I think most of the work he was doing was for the multiplayer? So he's now releasing just the singleplayer and will work on the multiplayer separately - I don't think (or at least hope) that he's had to cut anything out apart from that.

Top Bottom