• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Black is very special.

Arkanius

One of my disapointments with Ninja Gaiden wasn't how great the game controlled, it was the setting.

The feudal Japan part in the beginning was amazing. I didn't enjoy as much the city with the Pseudo-Gobbels

Best gameplay in the genre though

goldenpp72

It has been my firm game of all time, until BOTW came but it's at worst number 2. Incredible game in any way that matters.

Karsha

Its still the best action game and as much as I disliked it back than since it was xbox exclusive and I couldn't play it, later when I did it left me amazed. One thing that truly sets it apart is the hit collision. In DMC,Bayonetta and the others you don't really feel like you're attacking flesh monsters, they sound and feel like sand creatures and lifeless things. In NG thats not the case, every attack feels like you are cutting the enemies with your sword.

Also the Sigma games are good, don't really get the hate. Yes they remove some of the charm of the original but also are a lot better in some cheap/not fair areas that the original game had.

StMeph

Best character action series by a mile. It makes me question the tastes and skills of anyone who prefer God of War or Devil May Cry (or their ilk) instead.

xuchu

This is one of the few titles that deserves a remake/HD upgrade

Unfortunately, due to bad blood with Itagaki, I fear that any remaster or collection would be based on sigma versions. I can accept sigma 1 but sigma 2 has so many changes that I consider it an entirely different game to vanilla NG2. Superficially they doubled down on their silly over the top T&A (still remember the shameless adverts for it) and purple mist. But more importantly, they heavily altered the balance of the game. They cut back on the amount of enemies in each battle but also compensated by making even the regular grunts and fodder tanky. This resulted in a much slower pace than the fast and frenetic pace of vanilla NG2. This isn't any worse, better, harder or easier just completely different. People can have their preferences to one or the other but Vanilla NG2 combat was simply exhilarating and coming out of each battle with a sliver of health would have shaking and sweating. I never got this feeling in sigma 2. Enemies could, and should be, dispatched quickly and efficiently due to the OT system, however Sigma 2 enemy tankiness and the fact that many of the previous moves that had high delimb chance like >Y for falcon talons got nerfed made the gameplay feel so much slower and more like a marathon chipping away at fodder ninjas.

Here is a good video that showcases how drastically different the two games are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAiYc_sy8A

Sorry for this silly rehash of NG2 and Sigma2 that has argued time and time again. They're both flawed in different ways. As amazing as the stairway of death was prepatch, FPS drops of that magnitude in such a demanding twitch action game are unacceptable. Vanilla NG2 was rushed and had notorious balance issues with its non stop IS spam and Sigma 2 goes hard the other way. I prefer NGB due to a more balanced offence and defence approach but NG2 fast and aggressive combat is amazing too.

But, of course, I think we can all agree that NG3 is abysmal.

GeekyDad

And I have to say, that Ninja Gaiden black is still the best of it's kind and I strongly believe what sets it apart is the enemy A.i...what makes Ninja Gaiden black such an awesome experience is the overall combat flow thanks to the A.i.

Though I wholeheartedly agree, it is the best still in the genre, and I also agree the enemy A.I. and combat flow are insanely good and massive reasons why it is the top game on its kind, I think there are many other elements -- just as important -- that make it amazing. The way the world unfold and the pacing...they're just so completely perfect. From the absolute start of the game, to the finish, and every boss in between. The game's a ridiculous masterpiece. Took me 18 consecutive playthroughs before I could finally put it down. I was fucking obsessed with that game for a while...

xuchu

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge wasn't as bad as some remember it. It's only marginally worse than NGII

Yes, I agree I like Razors edge too but I was talking about vanilla NG3. Imagine a ninja gaiden game where you could only wield the dragon sword and even when upgraded had no differences, that was vanilla NG3.

However even with Razors edge a polished turd is still a turd. While a much better, fun and decent game on normal and hard, they couldn't rectify some of strange gameplay decisions of the base game such as only healing when using ninpo. On master ninja and ultimate ninja these design choices really matter more along with some noticeable input lag. I made a thread about NG3:RE ultimate ninja mode earlier this year detailing why it's hard for all the wrong reasons and is cheap for the sake of being cheap.

One of the best games of all time! A complete, standalone classic. Absolute vicious enemies - every encounter feels like a fight for survival. There are not really any other games that plays quite like it does (except for Ninja Gaiden 2). There are so many reasons to love this game (difficulty, unique combat mechanics, weapon variety, level design, enemy/boss variety, etc).

Its still the best action game and as much as I disliked it back than since it was xbox exclusive and I couldn't play it, later when I did it left me amazed. One thing that truly sets it apart is the hit collision. In DMC,Bayonetta and the others you don't really feel like you're attacking flesh monsters, they sound and feel like sand creatures and lifeless things. In NG thats not the case, every attack feels like you are cutting the enemies with your sword.
Imo Bayonetta improves a lot on that regard. Your attacks feel a lot more impactful (especially due to the wicked weaves which feel huge), you are constantly launching enemies up into the air and across the map with them, and also there is the damage to the enemy models.

Peltz

I agree with you, OP. The level design is also amazing and is usually overlooked when discussing the game.

Renna Hazel

Ninja Gaiden Black is as close to perfection as a game is going to get. No other action game comes close. Bayo is cool too, but it's a far cry from NGB or 2.

Bulby

This game was Souls before Souls for me.

Tonnes of bosses, awesome combat, Weapons + upgrades and a huge connected world that got weirder the deeper you went.

Top 3 all time list for me.

Renna Hazel

This game was Souls before Souls for me.

Tonnes of bosses, awesome combat, Weapons + upgrades and a huge connected world that got weirder the deeper you went.

Top 3 all time list for me.

Is the combat in Souls similar to Ninja Gaiden?

One of the greatest games of all time.

And Black is the best version. That's coming from someone who's played all three versions of the original games. Sigma messed with the balancing and forced the Rachel chapters, which are quite poor.

I want an HD remaster of Black.

I mean, not really. No other action game plays quite like Ninja Gaiden. But Dark Souls/Bloodborne is the closest Action RPG to character action games like Ninja Gaiden (except for maybe NiOh).

As a person who played the Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden games obsessively long before Dark Souls was released, I was really taken aback by how much Souls reminded me of them (as well as the 3D Zelda games).

Level design. Boss design. Enemy design and encounters. Each weapon has a unique moveset and playstyle. Fast rolling / evasion based on iframes. These things about Dark Souls are very reminiscent of character action games like Ninja Gaiden/DMC.

JoduanER2

It is really special. Is in my top 5 favorite xbox games. So slick, best graphics on xbox for the time, and really challenging but fair if you know how to play. (Besides those f#%@!ing flying fishes) The bosses were very well made, like with a lot of patterns and good designs (i specially liked the one on top of the flying ship with the electricity, such beautiful graphics) So many interesting weapons with many combinations and upgrades... Best game ever, a remake would be glorious.

Q8D3vil

Ninja gaiden and dmc are god tier action games.
I didn't hear anything good about nier gameplay from my friends who finished it (i played the demo and it was decent but very reptitive ).
Give me your thought after playing it for a few hours l.

I think Souls might not be the worst comparison, although it's definitely very different. I always compare NG to DMC but with the strong caveat that where DMC is a very offensive minded game concentrating on style and mixups, NG is a very defensive game focused more on blocking/dodging enemy attacks and finding your moments to get in and do some damage.

In that sense, a Souls comparison kind of makes sense. It's less about mastering a single weapon than in mastering multiple weapons and their movesets, and the action is much closer to DMC or Bayonetta in terms of speed and variety, but the "always be on your A game, think quickly but tactically" part of it is very Soulslike.

Peltz

Best in the series for sure. Best Xbox game, and maybe my favorite Gen 6 game of all.

Yea, I agree. When vanilla Ninja Gaiden on Xbox came out, I genuinely wondered how then-next generation consoles could top then-current gen consoles.

The whole package was so masterfully crafted and ahead of its time. Team Ninja were wizards that generation and put out the absolute best looking Xbox games.

jett

D-Member
Maybe Black is immeasurably better than Sigma, but man I've tried to play NGS multiple times an I drop it halfway through every time.

Flying swallow + izuma drop = EZPC GAEM

Yeah I just end up spamming the same moves.

Give me Devil May Cry and Bayonetta any day of the week.

Maybe Black is immeasurably better than Sigma, but man I've tried to play NGS multiple times an I drop it halfway through every time.

Yeah I just end up spamming the same moves.

Give me Devil May Cry and Bayonetta any day of the week.

Those games are no exceptions either. You spend most of the time spamming the same combo/move.

I wish action games rewarded players for creativity outside of points/access to new moves. Why do I need new moves if I can just spam square square triangle just fine.

Now if by doing more creative combos I did more damage, then that would be an interesting concept.

Ninja Gaidens AI is incredible. It's so aggressive and hostile. In Bayonetta and DMC you have floating enemies that give you time to hit them. In NG the enemies are speed dashing constantly, and you have to attack where they are going to speed dash to.

I do think that Metal Gear Rising had some terrific sword play as well. The enemies where also awesome. I just the levels and story in MGR wasn't so daft.

Blueingreen

NG2 is better in every way.

Fuck no, the game is beyond unbalanced with awful encounter design,cheap difficulty, overpowered weapons (scythe)and truly abysmal level design the boss battles are also some of the worst in its genre I genuinely pissed myself with laughter at the giant armadillo, the only thing it ever had going for was the gore.

Ninja Garden Black is such a masterpiece I could almost consider it a fluke in Itagaki's career.

AlStrong

Are there legal issues with remastering/porting Black because of Itagaki's departure? Maybe MS could bankroll it.

Would have liked to see Itagaki do NG2 Black. It felt like a rushed game given the events surrounding his departure.

Renna Hazel

I mean, not really. No other action game plays quite like Ninja Gaiden. But Dark Souls/Bloodborne is the closest Action RPG to character action games like Ninja Gaiden (except for maybe NiOh).

As a person who played the Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden games obsessively long before Dark Souls was released, I was really taken aback by how much Souls reminded me of them (as well as the 3D Zelda games).

Level design. Boss design. Enemy design and encounters. Each weapon has a unique moveset and playstyle. Fast rolling / evasion based on iframes. These things about Dark Souls are very reminiscent of character action games like Ninja Gaiden/DMC.

Well that's good since I intend to try Nioh soonish. If I like that game I'll try Bloodborne and the Souls games. I wont go in expecting NG though.

I think Souls might not be the worst comparison, although it's definitely very different. I always compare NG to DMC but with the strong caveat that where DMC is a very offensive minded game concentrating on style and mixups, NG is a very defensive game focused more on blocking/dodging enemy attacks and finding your moments to get in and do some damage.

In that sense, a Souls comparison kind of makes sense. It's less about mastering a single weapon than in mastering multiple weapons and their movesets, and the action is much closer to DMC or Bayonetta in terms of speed and variety, but the "always be on your A game, think quickly but tactically" part of it is very Soulslike.

I agree that DMC (and Bayo) are the closest thing to NG. I really enjoy those games as well, but Souls always looked really different. It's nice to see someone describe DMC and NG in the same way I do though.

The game really is one of the few that I'd call an actual masterpiece.

Can't wait to see it on XBO BC. We really need the game on more platforms.

Sigma is ultimately a great game, but Black is the masterwork at the end of the day. Better pacing and no weird motion controls.

Are there legal issues with remastering/porting Black because of Itagaki's departure? Maybe MS could bankroll it.

Would have liked to see Itagaki do NG2 Black. It felt like a rushed game given the events surrounding his departure.

Well part of the problem when Itagaki was there was how long it took him to make these games and his unwillingness to settle with the shorter deadlines from the higher ups. I really appreciate him for this because he delivered a solid product when given his desired timeline to complete the game. It would be awesome if Itagaki put out an exclusive for MS in this genre but I think he'd have the same problems in regards to timeline working for MS.

Top Bottom