• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Screenshots From the Cancelled Prey 2 Leak

Grief.exe

If you assume the project hasn't been worked on since 2011 then these are pretty damn slick for early alpha quality.

So Bethesda could have had a released game by now?

They could be generating a significant amount of income. Instead, they are spending millions of dollars for Arkane to reboot the project.

I'm reminded of:

• Riddick Escape from BB
  • Rage
  • Mass Effect

Never played the first prey but this one looked much more expansive and ambitious. Shame about what became of it.

I get the same inspirations, after watching the E3 Gameplay footage you really see the Riddick inspirations.

Memory is fuzzy, but this doesn't look at all similar to the E3 "demo"?

I posted this earlier, but its a link to a 2011 E3 Gamespot walk through

What they showed from the second game was very compelling.

You probably wouldn't be making those statements if you saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPMr0joaE6A

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dammit, looked really fun. Both gameplay and graphics wise. Would have loved to explore that world. Hope the devs are proud of their work, even if they didn't manage to finish it. Imagine if it had Riddick's melee system on top of all that parkour goodness.

Jinroh

If the game already had steam achievements, doesn't it mean it was well advanced in its development? Do we know the completion rate of the project?

I know E3 demos are always very polished even when games are usually still very bare-bone, but I wouldn't be surprised if a good part of the game was already done.

Grief.exe

I don't believe a single word about Bethesda's claims about it not being "up to standard."

I don't think anyone believes Bethesda's word on this.

They tried to do a hostile take over of the company and failed. Similarly what they did to Arkane.

You guys know Bethesda owns Arkane, so they can make them do whatever they want them to do. During production of Dishonored, Bethesda started to arbitrarily reject milestones. In doing so, the then-independent-Arkane had to find ways to pay their staff since successful milestones are what feeds the bank. Knowing that Arkane wasn't making their milestones on time and potentially going to suffer internally, such as loosing staff, or ultimately shutting down, Bethesda's parent company Zenimax stepped in to help Arkane out by floating them loans during this "quality issue" period. That seemed nice of Zenimax to help out Arkane, right?

Now since Bethesda had been rejecting milestones because they didn't believe Arkane was maintaining the quality they originally promised, Arkane's also severely behind schedule because time has been spent correctly and addressing Bethesda's issues with previously rejected milestones.

Since Zenimax is also the company that's invested in Bethesda, they start telling Arkane they have serious concerns about their ability to finish the Dishonored. Even though they originally floating them loans to keep Arkane running, they now give them an ultimatum: pay back the loans or sell them the studio for some piddly amount. If Arkane doesn't do either, then Zenimax will take them court for breach of contract since they're now so far behind in the project.

Remember, it's because Zenimax's company Bethesda has been rejecting milestones that put Arkane behind in the first place.

The outcome is Arkane reluctantly sold their independence to Zenimax so they could continue the creative work they started and at the very least have public recognition for their efforts.

This is why Bethesda can tell Arkane to do whatever they want them to do now.

What would you do if you were making Prey 2 and started wondering why Bethesda was suddenly treating you differently? You'd start looking at past independent developers Bethesda has had deals with to understand if it's a developer issue or a publisher issue. When you discover Bethesda started to reject milestones at not only Arkane, but Splash Damage and inXile, you start to see a pattern. Knowing the fate of Arkane, if you were the Prey 2 developer would just sit there and see what happens or would you confront the publisher?

Grief.exe

r0bLRHX.png

I was so looking forward to this game. I hope it does see release, but who knows how it will turn out now, if it ever does come out.

Grief.exe

I was so looking forward to this game. I hope it does see release, but who knows how it will turn out now, if it ever does come out.

This version is permanently dead.

Bethesda gave the IP to Arkane and, I believe, told them to take inspiration from System Shock 2.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You guys saying it looks bad need some Game Development 101.

The game was killed in either pre-alpha or alpha state, with those shots taken from the most advanced portions of the game. Far from being polished.

Good call
Looks rough.
Well at least now we know why it was cancelled.
Looks very bad!
Doesn't look like it's anything special...

Sarcasm? This was Alpha or pre-Alpha years ago.

So Bethesda could have had a released game by now?

They could be generating a significant amount of income. Instead, they are spending millions of dollars for Arkane to reboot the project.
At this point they would be gearing up for Prey 3 on PC/PS4/180 to release 2014.

Oh well.

Yeah, Zenimax destroyed ID Games and carmack spent the money for selling ID on rockets.
They killed Human Head(who were always troubled but were getting better)
They bullied arkane to be purchased as well. Now possibly making them develope Prey 2?

They changed QUAKE CON, into bethesda con. No mention of doom 4.

Elder Scroll online looks like a joke. And pretending that it will compare to skyrim is even funnier.

Activision can be pretty bad. But Zenimax, run by lawyers and bethesda's top is just awful.

Oh yeah, and this game looks done to me. At least done enough that you release it once its been polished.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
They changed QUAKE CON, into bethesda con. No mention of doom 4.
That's id's doing. id is lucky they are even still around. They completely restarted development last year. id is a complete mess with terrible management by all accounts.

That said, this does look surprisingly good. Would like to see some more footage though.

FStop7

Banned
This is cruel. I would have played the hell out of this if it had been a good "wretched hive of scum and villainy" type of space bounty hunting game.

So Prey 2 is coming... just not the Prey 2 we know?

Maybe, last I heard. Arkane is supposed to be doing it, even though HumanHead should've gotten to complete this and Arkane should be allowed to do what they want considering how well Dishonored came together.

Really disgusting to see such talent get abused. You can be successful without being scum, ZeniMax.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Important clarification: Arkane Austin, one half of the Dishonored team, is on Prey 2. Arkane Paris is on Dishonored 2. But Harvey Smith—who was co-creative lead on Dishonored at Arkane Austin—recently moved to Paris to work on the sequel.

Vico

Important clarification: Arkane Austin, one half of the Dishonored team, is on Prey 2. Arkane Paris is on Dishonored 2. But Harvey Smith—who was co-creative lead on Dishonored at Arkane Austin—recently moved to Paris to work on the sequel.

Their office is in Lyon (France), not Paris.

Jarmel

Banned
Fuck. This would have been a nice change of pace compared to the usual open world games.

It should be interesting to see what Arkane does with it but considering that Arkane doesn't want to do it and we don't know who the lead is, my confidence in the project isn't skyhigh right now.

i-Lo

This game such strong art direction befitting cyberpunk theme:

prey_2_2_by_gifsandmore-d6gducv.gif

prey_2_6_by_gifsandmore-d6gdy17.gif

Will post more in a while.

Enjoy.

doemaaan

^Seriously, what the hell went wrong with the development behind this game? It looks hella fun to play and the idea alone is fantastic. I keep telling myself that it'll eventually pull through, but every time more info comes out, it's always bad.

BOUNTY HUNTER IN SPACE. come on, who the hell doesn't want that??

Yawnier

Banned
Oh man, those gifs make me feel even worse about this, there are hardly any Cyberpunk games in the industry to begin with.

Top Bottom