• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm really interested in seeing how Tekken 7 will do.

I reckon ~2 million.

It's hard to say, the proximity to Injustice 2 could really siphon a lot of the casual market away. On the other hand it's the only great 3d fighter to be released on PC basically ever*, so that could help sales.

*No, Shin, DoA5 doesn't count <3

I'm wary of buying pc fighting games because it might be hard to find matches. Considering my location is at SEA does not help.

MvcI with no xplay is not reassuring. :(

shaowebb

was gonna make this my 2nd CEO but something came up
I'd really like to hit up CEO next year. By then a lot will be labbed in i2 and mvci. It'll be fairly hype. Ceotaku is another I wanna see sometime. New Chaos code will be interesting to see folks use.

CEO in general is just my dream tournies. That and frosty fairings. Lots of variety at those.

Doomshine

I've heard a few times that Namco is happy with Tekken 7 preorder numbers so far, but I'm not sure where that information came from.

Yep.

Both have big story modes
Both have character customization
Both have an arcade like mode
Both have a mode for earning cusomizations & Gold
Both have the standard Vs, Training, Casual, Ranked, Quick Match options.

I think Tekken has an online tournament mode which Injustice doesn't as well as Tekken Tunes & Injustice has like an odd Team Alliance thing.

Other than that they are really mirror images of each other in terms of content.

They should've jumped on the loot crate train and made those treasure chests from Treasure Battle into proper loot crates that you collect and open later with a fancy animation.

Beckx

i managed to hold off buying IJ2 at launch, barely. Gotta keep that day 1 money for Tekken 7
and Hearthstone packs
. I do want to pick up a copy when it's cheap. Looking for one of those deals where the game and the season pass are less money than the launch game price alone.

Delaying MvCI is only an option if it's not in a good state. At this point the game is what it is, feature wise - not nearly enough time to delay and (in a meaningful way) copy major features that aren't currently in the design. Unless you mean FFXIII Versus type delays.

Does everything need to be loot crate nowadays?

open world multiplayer souls-like shooter RPG w/ loot crates

It's funny, Smash has been doing "loot crates" since...Melee?

Not a part of it.

Ranked mode in online and tournaments will only have gear change your appearance, nothing else. The characters will all be the base characters. The stats and the extra abilities are only usable in casual offline/online.

The abilities MIGHT be added to ranked mode or tournaments in the future though. Maybe make them all unlocked from the get go and have them be separate from Gear? But that would require reworking a lot of stuff so it's unlikely tbh.
That's a shame. I get that you don't want the stats affecting tournaments, but being able to customize your character for matchups was something great MKX did.

After playing all last night after work I gotta say NRS has outdone themselves in making a fighting game that will have enormous replay value in single player. All the customizing and collecting involved in characters, the multiverse missions, the daily missions, the exciting motherbox loot crates, gear rerolling and tweaking, character leveling, long story mode...its definitely a LONG TERM game you can enjoy even before DLC. Plus that story is some high ass production value and it has replay since you can see a scene play out differently if you choose to play as one character over another. It offers you choices quite often like that.

Fighting games have needed to show more single player value for awhile now. Multiverse is very reminescent of Killer Instinct's own Shadow Lords but the loot system is the biggest gem they came up with here.

I think Injustice 2 may have locked fighting game of the year easily here. A story mode by itself wont be enough to compete with it. MVCI is gonna need a ridiculous amount of stuff to offer this much pre dlc value to the public. Maybe they can do similar with a Heroes and Heralds mode thats expanded?

Uncertain. Its no gear at tournies so far, but Pig of the Hut has mentioned gear tournies before as well as others. It might be tied to user ID's somehow to let folks grab loadouts. I haven't really kept up on that scene enough to know if they've got a plan yet but I hope they do. Some of these loadouts are baller. The Green Arrow teleporting one is pretty neat and those Bolo Arrows are really useful for a loadout.
If you can't use the gear outside of casual play, that makes it a lot less cool. :(

I imagine that like Smash 4 customs gear use in tournaments will fizzle out with time.
Smash 4 fizzles out because the community generally agreed that the custom moves in Smash actually decreased the depth of play, as some characters became entirely about spamming a broken custom move to win. From what I've seen of IJ2 custom moves, they're interesting alternates instead of a broken mess. The final nail in the coffin for Smash 4 customs was Sakurai saying he would not be looking at them in balance patches, so the issues weren't going to go away.

For an entire industry about creating experiences, there's a stunning lack of creativity.

Yeah, it's already annoying me in Injustice. I hate this shit. I just want gear for the character I play.

But whatever, apparently casuals love random shit.
It's all about hype, and candy is hype.

notworksafe

after watching both aris and the gb quicklook, i am strangely very interested in injustice. but i already know buying it at $60 for x1 is a fool's errand so i'll have to hold out a bit.

Numb

giphy.gif

notworksafe

Congrats, NWS. Remember, a happy wife is a happy life.

already learning that, haha. she let me name the tables at the reception after fighting games (the one fgc thing i managed to sneak in) but i had to concede to having a table named after smash bros

it's give and take, boys.

notworksafe

No waifu table, sadly. Here's what we went with (no MK cause we figured it was not wedding appropriate)

SF4
MVC2
UMVC3
Smass
Project Justice
Tekken 5DR
Injustice 2
ST
Guilty Gear XX
CVS2

And I went with open seating. We have been planning out so much that I figured all the guests could handle seating themselves

No waifu table, sadly. Here's what we went with (no MK cause we figured it was not wedding appropriate)

SF4
MVC2
UMVC3
Smass
Project Justice
Tekken 5DR
Injustice 2
ST
Guilty Gear XX
CVS2

And I went with open seating. We have been planning out so much that I figured all the guests could handle seating themselves
After the last wedding I attended with assigned seating...Open seating is the way to go. Especially if you are doing buffet food, no reason to assign seats.

notworksafe

Yeah we are doing buffet and the reception coordinator said the same thing. The original plan was to go with wrestling ppv names but then we realized calling the tables by names like Bad Blood, Judgement Day, Backlash, etc was probably not the way we wanted to go haha.

Also, I just remembered I have a wedding registry so I added Injustice 2 on there. Couldn't hurt to ask, right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
well my wedding is this weekend so i already know i won't have time to play it. that will help me delay a litle. i just have to hold off on getting it during my time off before and after lol
Congrats man!

Damn, I feel like half of FGC-GAF is married at this point.

Kumubou

It's done for psychological and business reasons. It's a system that creates positive feedback for free players (as opposed to the negative feedback a hard pay gate causes) while removing cost ceilings on paying players. People like free stuff, and tying free stuff in-game to playing the game is a good way to get people to play more (regardless of how much they play already). In competitive games, encouraging free players to stick around matters, as the paying players still need someone to play. (That and the free advertising they can end up being, which helps with player acquisition.) Whereas lootboxes make it hard for people to get what they really want, and the variable feedback from them is also something that encourages people to keep opening one as they might hit the jackpot with the next one.

As an aside: This is also why SF5's implementation is so goddamn bad, as it does none of these things. The fight money system is implemented so badly it has no effect on engagement, the hard paywalls make people resentful of all of the DLC, and they put a hard cap on how much money they can make per whale in the game. Fails all the way around.

SF4
MVC2
UMVC3
Smass
Project Justice
Tekken 5DR
Injustice 2
ST
Guilty Gear XX
CVS2

no third strike table.

i will not crash your wedding.

speaking of weddings...I'm in a wedding this weekend...its my redneck brother getting married and im stuck wearing redneck wedding attire (fucking jeans and a vest over a dress shirt).

Can I come to your wedding instead

NEO0MJ

speaking of weddings...I'm in a wedding this weekend...its my redneck brother getting married and im stuck wearing redneck wedding attire (fucking jeans and a vest over a dress shirt).

Can I come to your wedding instead

I'd never have assumed that's your origin. But come on man, he's your brother. Spare him a day, be merry. It's a time for celebration!
Also, I like jeans. They're comfortable and easy to wear.

What's up with the funny hat you Persona fans are wearing now on your avatars?

I'd never have assumed that's your origin. But come on man, he's your brother. Spare him a day, be merry. It's a time for celebration!
Also, I like jeans. They're comfortable and easy to wear.
Yea, my mom is a bit of a redneck, but my younger siblings ran full on redneck for some reason. Meanwhile me and my older brother are completely white collar.

However I have no intentions of trying to bring down the mood. I'll put on my best face and try and have some fun. Wont ruin it for anyone.
What's up with the funny hat you Persona fans are wearing now on your avatars?
One of the confidants in persona 5 is wearing it. Got a big kick out of the "Get Smoked" text.

Hes like a 12 year old that hangs out in an arcade playing whats essentially Gunslinger Stratos
Oh...right, and his jacket says NOOBS

NEO0MJ

One of the confidants in persona 5 is wearing it. Got a big kick out of the "Get Smoked" text.

Hes like a 12 year old that hangs out in an arcade playing whats essentially Gunslinger Stratos

I see. Still didn't meet him as I haven't been able to play it much. Next month I'll get to really dive in.

Top Bottom