• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving to Japan. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ittoryu

For one person 20m is pretty common unless you wanna expend a fortune.

I have a friend moving now to a 40m one and pays 150000¥

I would have no problems with that, we are pretty well trained here in London in small flats and horribly expensive rent :)

I guess I will "worry" about it, when/If the bosses of the company where I am working now will agree to my relocation there.

...or when I will quit this job and become a teacher.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Anyone moving to Tokyo and want the real state contact (is a gaijin friendly) agency just PM me.

Also if you need more private question fell free to PM me too.

CHusson91

Banned
Funny this topic comes up now; I'm also moving to Japan in August and I'm getting more and more nervous about it as time goes by. I've been there four times in the past though, so that helps a bit.

I'll be there for about 2.5 years to finish my BA (Temple University). I know about enough Japanese to have a conversation with a toddler.

matt360

What's this mean though? They will never accept you as a legitimate friend or something?

In many cases, yes. Obviously it's possible to make real and true friends with Japanese people, but there are so many people who will be outwardly friendly toward foreigners because it's a novelty to them. I get invited to weddings here all the time from people I barely know just because it looks progressive to have a gaijin attend the wedding. Same with being invited out drinking, karaoke, etc. It's still quite possible to have a blast and laugh it up for a night, but everybody involved knows it's just superficial, even if they'd lead you to believe otherwise. Every foreigner living in Japan knows this feeling, I'd imagine.

Free booze is free booze. ;)

Right now in Nagano, but I will also be in Tokyo from mid to end of August, and would appreciate a meetup (Izakaya etc).
Do we need doodle? ;)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
A side note to all who are moving.

You can't apply for an apartment until you got your work visa, and you are already in Japan.

Also, i had beed in Sakura House in April and didn't like it.

I recommend a short stay apartment, and when you move to Tokyo start looking for a apartment asap.

You can search here for a short stay http://www.tokyocityapartments.net/

PD: For all who are in Tokyo, if you wanna meet just drop me a PM :)

Ratrat

In many cases, yes. Obviously it's possible to make real and true friends with Japanese people, but there are so many people who will be outwardly friendly toward foreigners because it's a novelty to them. I get invited to weddings here all the time from people I barely know just because it looks progressive to have a gaijin attend the wedding. Same with being invited out drinking, karaoke, etc. It's still quite possible to have a blast and laugh it up for a night, but everybody involved knows it's just superficial, even if they'd lead you to believe otherwise. Every foreigner living in Japan knows this feeling, I'd imagine.
A lot of your friends will be superficial no matter where you are from. This is not exclusive to foreigners as people here are generally polite at least on the surface. As far as 'never being one of them' nonsense, tell that to all the people who've married and integrated into families here.

Droog

Ugh, I'm a couple of days late to this topic but I'll add my 2c FWIW.

OP: Definitely try and get your employer to pay your travel expenses for work while you're there. It certainly can't hurt to ask at the very least.

These guys helped me get a decent place in Japan when I first got back there.

http://en.leopalace21.com/

There apartments are a little small and a little expensive but the have english support and the rent includes almost all utilities and it come pre-furnished with a few essentials. So maybe they might be useful to you.

I can vouch for Leopalace21 also although I'll add the caveat that it's been almost a decade since I used them! I was lucky in that I got the end room in my block of flats so essentially got an extra room for free (separate kitchen/bedroom instead of them being the same room). A/C, futons, TV, enough to get you started all included!

They are both the same phonetically. Hiragana is for Japanese words and Katakana is for phonetically pronouncing foreign words.

I guess if you were in a hurry you would start with Katakana because it's immediately useful.

The good news is that once you learn one set the other is super easy to learn.

I was always recommended to learn Hiragana before Katakana as I was told that the simplicity of Katakana made Hiragana a bit more difficult. I don't know if that's truly the case but I will say that Katakana was a cakewalk after learning Hiragana.

P.S. I'll also be down for any future GAF meets in Tokyo as I'm moving back there myself this September!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
What's this mean though? They will never accept you as a legitimate friend or something?

No, you can be a legitimate friend and everything that goes with it, it just means that you'll always be considered as a foreigner, you will never be seen as a Japanese person.
You can be born there, speak Japanese 100% perfectly, have only ever known the Japanese way of doing stuff, you'll still be seen as an outsider because you do not have the right skin/hair color. It's at a point where it couldn't even be considered racism, since basically it's so ingrained into the Japanese ways that everybody does it without even thinking for one second that maybe there is something wrong.
So yeah, except for a few places (usually not places you'd want to go to anyway) you'll be very welcome by the majority of people in Japan, just don't expect to fit in.

Jubern

A side note to all who are moving.

You can't apply for an apartment until you got your work visa, and you are already in Japan.

Also, i had beed in Sakura House in April and didn't like it.

I recommend a short stay apartment, and when you move to Tokyo start looking for a apartment asap.

You can search here for a short stay http://www.tokyocityapartments.net/

PD: For all who are in Tokyo, if you wanna meet just drop me a PM :)

Yeah, that's actually my biggest problem right now. I'm working for not much since I'm still on my student visa, until late July, so I'm struggling to save money. And I might need to leave the country for a bit if nothing is set in stone before my current contract is over. Things aren't yet set in stone for the aftermath, so I'll probably need to get a short stay thing in August. If I manage to get enough cash to move in somewhere, I'm also considering rushing the apartment search and crashing at a friend's place in the meantime, but I really want to find a good place. Choices, choices.

I'm definitely up for a Tokyo-GAF meeting! Whenever you want guys. I was going to say around TGS might be a good time, but there's usually a lot of parties thrown out for TGS so it's better to put it at different date.

matt360

A lot of your friends will be superficial no matter where you are from. This is not exclusive to foreigners as people here are generally polite at least on the surface. As far as 'never being one of them' nonsense, tell that to all the people who've married and integrated into families here.

It's not nonsense. And I am married to a Japanese woman and integrated into a family here. Are you? And I'm quite aware that having superficial friends isn't necessarily a Japan-only thing. That kinda goes without saying doesn't it? The fact remains that a non-Japanese person will never be fully accepted into Japanese society. I'm not bitter about it though, I still think Japan is a pretty great place to live!

Raide

Just going to put an alternative spin on this. I spent 6 months with Sakura House and had no issues at all. Had a nice Shared House near to Maidaimae and enjoyed my stay. I thought more about the place being a base camp where I sleep, so I was not massively bothered about it being all fancy and awesome. I would rather save the money on my rent and go and do other things.

I am sure it really boils down to where you get but I had a good time while there and hoping to get back ASAP.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's not nonsense. And I am married to a Japanese woman and integrated into a family here. Are you? And I'm quite aware that having superficial friends isn't necessarily a Japan-only thing. That kinda goes without saying doesn't it? The fact remains that a non-Japanese person will never be fully accepted into Japanese society. I'm not bitter about it though, I still think Japan is a pretty great place to live!

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Japanese have a hard time letting foreigners "in", but there are plenty of us who have had zero issue living a normal life there. I'm married, "integrated" or whatever that means lol, and have lived longer than you in Japan (in case this is a pissing contest)..and I can find sushi with avocados no problem. Clearly you're doing something wrong. =P

Nocebo

No, you can be a legitimate friend and everything that goes with it, it just means that you'll always be considered as a foreigner, you will never be seen as a Japanese person.
You can be born there, speak Japanese 100% perfectly, have only ever known the Japanese way of doing stuff, you'll still be seen as an outsider because you do not have the right skin/hair color. It's at a point where it couldn't even be considered racism, since basically it's so ingrained into the Japanese ways that everybody does it without even thinking for one second that maybe there is something wrong.
So yeah, except for a few places (usually not places you'd want to go to anyway) you'll be very welcome by the majority of people in Japan, just don't expect to fit in.
It seems logical that a foreigner wouldn't be seen as a Japanese person but what are the negative ways in which you will feel this then? Do they talk differently to a foreign friend than a Japanese friend or something? I'm unclear about how Japanese people treat their foreign friends as opposed to how some other culture would treat their foreign friends.

matt360

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Japanese have a hard time letting foreigners "in", but there are plenty of us who have had zero issue living a normal life there. I'm married, "integrated" or whatever that means lol, and have lived longer than you in Japan (in case this is a pissing contest)..and I can find sushi with avocados no problem. Clearly you're doing something wrong. =P

I never said I had any issues living a normal life. I never said it was impossible to have a normal life here. I did say Japan is a pretty great place to live. And I maintain that the vast majority of people who are not ethnically Japanese will never be considered part of the "us" group. Congratulations to you if you are the exception to the rule. I mean that sincerely, as it must be a great feeling.

And I extend a personal challenge to you to come to Hiroshima and find avocados on sushi. =P

Nyoro SF

You know when you say the "us group" it just sounds like a self-justifying psychologically created non-existence created just to prove a point.

Define this "us-group" in detail.

matt360

You know when you say the "us group" it just sounds like a self-justifying psychologically created non-existence created just to prove a point.

Define this "us-group" in detail.

You kind of lost me there. And I'm not going to get into Japan's "insider vs. outsider" mentality any more than I already have, as we're starting to get off topic. If you're interested, just type in something using the key words quoted above and you'll have plenty of stuff to read over.

Mieu

Don't say
chin chin taberu
hihi

You should set aside money for transportation. Train fare is a bit pricey according to one of my clients.

I think a tall frap in Starbucks there would be around 500 yen.

Used but mint PS3 games are also on sale at good prices

AlexM

I've never seen a freshness burger. Do they exist in the Kansai area?

I got the chili burger at Mos burger once and it was really bland. I never went back to Mos because of that. Maybe I should give it another shot.

FreeMufasa

I'm not trying to stirr anything up but many white people have a reality shock when they live in Japan. I was with an African American and British friend and British dude was ranting about some of this stuff. Me and my African American friend just looked at each other like....that's pretty normal where we're from.

Going from a dominant majority to a minority equal to other minorities must be a shock no doubt.

Wubby

Considering all the cities, states and countries that have OT threads in the Community forum I'm surprised there isn't one for expats living in Japan. I've thought about making one but don't feel I'd be able to do such a thread justice. It seems like there's a lot of us that live here (I'm down in Shizuoka prefecture).

I was just informed that I will be transferred to Tokyo. I’ll be working in the Chiyoda district.
I'm very happy about this but right now I'm a bit worried about expenditures, specially house rent.

My budget is about $1800 monthly for rent. I would rather not go that much higher than that if possible. So, will that be that be enough? Im a single male, so no worries for extra space. Any zone recommendations for where to stay close to Chiyoda?

Also, my extent of japanese is limited to what anime has taught me, therefore I cant go saying “onichaaan” or “masaka” everywhere, will english be enough to survive?

Do it anyhow and report your findings.
As extra challenge you could try limiting yourself only to words from hentai sex scenes.

AlexM

I would love to move to Japan. What kind of jobs do you guys have that made you transfer to the island?

I got a job as a robotics programmer then switched my linkedin to Japan for my location. I've previously done some social games and a lot of indie no-money making games. I was blown away at the number of companies that contacted me for programming positions. Especially considering my lack of corporate experience.

Apparently Japan really needs decent modern programmers. I could go on a rant but I haven't lived in Japan nearly long enough to justify my opinions.

I'm not trying to stirr anything up but many white people have a reality shock when they live in Japan. I was with an African American and British friend and British dude was ranting about some of this stuff. Me and my African American friend just looked at each other like....that's pretty normal where we're from.

Going from a dominant majority to a minority equal to other minorities must be a shock no doubt.

Maybe being from Vancouver and having very few white friends helped but I have to agree. Overall I felt Japan to be far more accepting of foreigners than Vancouver.

Do it anyhow and report your findings.
As extra challenge you could try limiting yourself only to words from hentai sex scenes.

Oh you :p

Just met a friend in Shinbashi tonight on my way back home. Haha, so funny. All the 'hookers' in the streets, nice small restaurants, cheap beer and drinks in so many bars. And there is definitely a nice and cheap italian restaurant with great italian pizza.

Check out 俺のイタリアン (Ore no itarian) in Shinbashi 3-8-5 and be prepared to wait in line since it's so popular.

Pizza = 580 Yen
Ebisu = 480 Yen

Now back to my hostel with all that fucking nerds and Japan lovers around...
(almost worse than bronies)

Michan

I'll be there for about 2.5 years to finish my BA (Temple University). I know about enough Japanese to have a conversation with a toddler.

Wow, that's literally a couple of minutes' walk from my apartment (my girlfriend cycles past it every day). Just let me know if you need any help or advice on the area!

CHusson91

Banned
Wow, that's literally a couple of minutes' walk from my apartment (my girlfriend cycles past it every day). Just let me know if you need any help or advice on the area!

Thank you! I visited Azabu for the first time in January; it was nice and quiet compared to Roppongi next door.

Zornica

Banned

Oh nice. I'll be living in moto azabu. do you know any nice (cheap/good) restaurants around there?

AlexM

Now back to my hostel with all that fucking nerds and Japan lovers around...
(almost worse than bronies)

That's my least favorite part.

There was some white guy at work who didn't want foreigners in Japan. He wore cat ears and read disgusting anime.

hwalker84

Since this thread has much more hits than the thread I made http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539079&highlight=

I'm finally doing the trip I've been dreaming about since I was a kid and took Japanese in high school.

I'm leaving on November 8th and returning on the 30th. I know this isn't a travel thread but it seems like Japan gaf is lively here. I've learned a few things already.

What I need help on is the travel plan. I don't just want to just sit around in Tokyo I want to spend a day or so in as many cities as possible. How the hell am I supposed to do that? What's a good route for cities?

Natetan

Since this thread has much more hits than the thread I made http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539079&highlight=

I'm finally doing the trip I've been dreaming about since I was a kid and took Japanese in high school.

I'm leaving on November 8th and returning on the 30th. I know this isn't a travel thread but it seems like Japan gaf is lively here. I've learned a few things already.

What I need help on is the travel plan. I don't just want to just sit around in Tokyo I want to spend a day or so in as many cities as possible. How the hell am I supposed to do that? What's a good route for cities?

Get a travel book or look at Wikipedia.

Also tokaido and other Shinkansen /jr pass

AlexM

The company I rent from just tried to charge me 400$ for a moving out cleaning charge.

I'm lucky that I'm with a woman from Japan who's cousin is a realtor who found us the apartment. He came over and looked at the contract and determined it's not in there at all but it's worded in a way that if you arent a native speaker you might think you have to pay. So for any foreigners who are renting. They are quite easy with renting to foreigners but are also known for problems like this with renters. Not just foreigners but also natives.

The name of the company is (int romaji, kanji and hiragana):

daitokentaku (大東建託) (だいとうけんたく) is the name of the company.

We can do it in one month, too!
Then I'll be staying for a longer period in Tokyo. Arrived today on short-term notice and looks like I'll have some free time tomorrow.

CHusson91

Banned
We can do it in one month, too!
Then I'll be staying for a longer period in Tokyo. Arrived today on short-term notice and looks like I'll have some free time tomorrow.

Awesome! I'll be moving August 16th for about two years. I'm honestly not really looking forward to living in Tokyo all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom